FUNimation DBZ "Legacy" Video Series

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

FUNimation DBZ "Legacy" Video Series

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:03 am

Leading up to their production of Battle of Gods, FUNimation is hitting hard on the content-generation front. They're apparently putting together a four-part retrospective series about their work on DBZ.

Anyone else feel like they're making a very conscious effort to produce content these days that appeals to all types of fans of the franchise?

PART 1:

NOTES:
  • Covers the initial time period of 1994ish with Fukunaga and his partners obtaining the sub-license to the series from Toei.
  • The version of "CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA" being played is the Mexican version. Now, FUNimation's clearly had the rights to the Mexican!Spanish dub of the series for a while (their DBZ Movie 5 single-disc DVD had the Mexican dub, the "Ultimate Uncut Edition" had the Mexican dub, they did some single-disc releases of it for a while, etc.)... but... uhh... why are they using that version of the song here? They're YouTube partners, so I can't imagine them using the original Japanese version of the song would trigger a content flag. I mean, it's THEIR sub-license. Totally bizarre.
  • The flip-flip of the cropped widescreen (from the new Blu-ray "season" sets commercials) to the proper 4:3 Kai footage is kinda hilarious.
PART 2:

NOTES:
  • Covers 1995ish with FUNimation becoming a real company and the later employees finding out who they were and becoming fans of the series

PART 3:

NOTES:
  • Covers the 1998 timeframe of DBZ struggling with timeslots in syndication and catching a bigger break on Cartoon Network's Toonami block
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: FUNimation DBZ "Legacy" Video Series

Post by B » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:33 am

Yeah, the first thing I noticed was the 4:3 clips, not picking up that it was from Kai. It's essentially a shorter version of Fukunaga's interview on the first Blu-ray Brick.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:43 am

Oh wow, I hadn't heard about this, thanks for the share. I know they've been celebrating their 25th anniversary this year, both in general and on the DBZ front (I mean, it was their first property, so they kinda have to), and have even had a couple of timelines set up on their main site showing when certain events took place. I'll have to get around to watching this when I get a free moment.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:22 pm

Actually, YouTube partners get autoflagged now too, I think.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:46 pm

Any chance of someone in the States putting up a mirror version for us guys on the wrong end of their region lock? :)
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:09 pm

Interesting video, I guess. Nothing particularly new or groundbreaking but I guess it's nice they're giving Dragon Ball some more attention.

That comment section is so depressing. SIgh. YouTube never lets you down for being a reminder of how awful and divided this fanbase is.
Blade wrote:Any chance of someone in the States putting up a mirror version for us guys on the wrong end of their region lock? :)
Try using the ProxMate or Hola Better extention for Chrome/Firefox to bypass region restrictions.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:54 pm

A very strangely organized video. Why bring in the Battle of Gods trailer clips at the end?

Though I will be the one to say the amount of breasts in the in-post video recommendations is worthy of a hearty sigh; I don't think it's was Funi planned on dealing in so much back in 1994! :lolno:
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:19 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
Try using the ProxMate or Hola Better extention for Chrome/Firefox to bypass region restrictions.
I was feeling too lazy to find a proxy, but those work a charm. Cheers mate :)
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Tatakae!!Ramenman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatakae!!Ramenman » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:53 pm

I think they're putting out a lot of content like this on youtube and as extras on the season blu rays because there was a long period of time where people were complaining about the releases having barely any extras and being mostly episodes. Like when the season sets came out, Kai came out, and the Dragon Boxes were coming out.
Neo died for our smiths.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:03 pm

Tatakae!!Ramenman wrote:I think they're putting out a lot of content like this on youtube and as extras on the season blu rays because there was a long period of time where people were complaining about the releases having barely any extras and being mostly episodes. Like when the season sets came out, Kai came out, and the Dragon Boxes were coming out.
I was especially disappointed when Kai had no audio commentries, would have been (mondo) cool to hear Sabat & co talk about specific episodes.

WesMan23
Beyond Newbie

Post by WesMan23 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:20 pm

Here's part 2. http://www.youtube.com/embed/pNDjIkmWKe0 It's basically Justin Cook and Chris Sabat talking about how awesome everybody thought DBZ was, and how they watched it, un-subbed, in Japanese on VHS. Pretty nifty.
"You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!" - Goku, Dragon Ball Z Kai, The Angry Super Saiyan! Throw Your Hat in the Ring, Son Goku!

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:31 pm

Enjoyed that much more than part 1. I always like listening to Sabat talk about the show despite my feelings about his acting quality. He seems very aware of the fanbase and purists' opinions on the show. It's really nice to hear him talk realistically about the franchise as a whole rather than the usual 'We're FUNimation! We made DBZ what it is! YEAH!' type spiel that you get from others.

Deadtuber.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:56 pm

I didn't take a heavy look at the footage but are those the level sets? Maybe Funi likes them over the 16:9 sets.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:56 pm

VegettoEX wrote:[*]The version of "CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA" being played is the Mexican version. Now, FUNimation's clearly had the rights to the Mexican!Spanish dub of the series for a while (their DBZ Movie 5 single-disc DVD had the Mexican dub, the "Ultimate Uncut Edition" had the Mexican dub, they did some single-disc releases of it for a while, etc.)... but... uhh... why are they using that version of the song here? They're YouTube partners, so I can't imagine them using the original Japanese version of the song would trigger a content flag. I mean, it's THEIR sub-license. Totally bizarre.
Didn't they only have the Mexican audio at first? I swear I remember old interviews by the voice actors saying how they had scripts that were abysmal in translation quality and also they didn't even have the Japanese audio to reference, just the Mexican dub.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:15 pm

funrush wrote:I didn't take a heavy look at the footage but are those the level sets? Maybe Funi likes them over the 16:9 sets.
There were some widescreen shots later on in the video, like part one. So who knows.

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Soul » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:38 pm

Pretty sure again, the 4:3 footage is of Kai.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:39 pm

Soul wrote:Pretty sure again, the 4:3 footage is of Kai.
From Part 2? That was Level Set stuff. Look at all that grain.

Deadtuber.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:28 am

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
Soul wrote:Pretty sure again, the 4:3 footage is of Kai.
From Part 2? That was Level Set stuff. Look at all that grain.
Plus, Kai was grainless (they cleaned up the image for modernisation).
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Soul » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:06 pm

Hmm, my bad. That's perplexity odd then at any rate.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:38 pm

1995 with the Texas cast? Someone got their dates wrong. :wink:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:A very strangely organized video. Why bring in the Battle of Gods trailer clips at the end?
Because they're using this as a promo piece for the film's upcoming theatrical release.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.