Post your Battle of Gods Theatre Experience

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GTx10
Regular

Re: Post your Battle of Gods Theatre Experience

Post by GTx10 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:15 am

Pudding!
After seeing BoG in Japanese with alright subs I left the movie with a "that's it" feeling. Now I enjoy the Japanese cast a bunch but hearing it in your native language is so much better! I understood the reflections, the tone, the jokes everything. I was actually lost in the Pilaf gangs antics during the movie. Without a doubt Funi did another fantastic job with their dubbing.
The theater was packed with folks of all ages and gender. A mother who wasn't familiar with DB cheered when Vegeta went SS Angry on Beerus! Awesome stuff. Everyone laughed at King Kai's lines as did I, they laughed at Pilaf and his spray paint antics. I could go on and on but the seeing DBZ in theaters was epic!
The English dub called Beerus a God of Destruction twice and Funi played up his God rank perfectly. For the first time I felt how superior Beerus was to Son Kun and clearly Son had no way of winning.
Great crowd, superb dub and dare I say I liked the Dub more then the Original? (Go ahead throw them rocks!)
In the words of Goku, "he's a god, you gotta respect the rank."
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:29 am

UUGGHH.....curse unexpected real-life emergencies! I wasn't able to go see it last night, and now the next couple nights look doubtful too. Ah well. It seems as though this movie--and the dub--are overall getting rave reviews, though, so I'm glad that so many people enjoyed it. I was hoping to see it in a packed theater on opening night with enthusiastic DBZ fans, but alas...

Oh well. They are making another movie, after all, so I guess I'll have a second shot at this in a few years. In the mean time, I look forward to seeing this, whenever that may be!
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:04 am

Really looking forward to going tonight! I'm bringing a couple casual DBZ fans, so I'm really curious what they'll think of the film. I'll report back!

Rad Raddish
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Rad Raddish » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:50 am

Watched it at the Alamo Drafthouse in Richardson, TX. Power died due to a storm early on during our movie. :( When it came back, they had jumped ahead in the movie. Crowd cried foul but it took them a while to catch on and rewind (or they may have just been struggling with the controls). It took them a few tries but they did eventually get us back to around the same point. And for the grand finale, during the post-credits "Kamehameha", the film froze briefly. No reimbursement offered, which kinda sucks (even if the outage was somewhat out of their control).

Other than that, though, the video and sound quality (seemed to be legit 5.1 surround) was great! The new dub was very well done, but I don't have much to say that hasn't already been said. :mrgreen: Looking forward to seeing what FUNimation will do with the new movie!
"Ah ha ha ha! Ah, excuse me, has anyone seen my arm? Ha ha ha ha! You can't miss it, it's green."
-Raditz

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:53 am

I'm going tonight. Crushed foot be damned. I'm not missing this movie. 4 miles on crutches? Pffft, bring it on.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

BrandonR24
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BrandonR24 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:09 pm

My theater experience was surprisingly awesome! Went with a couple friends and my girlfriend. We have all seen the Japanese release on blu-ray, but all of us growing up on the Funimation dub THIS is what we were waiting for.
We got there 45 min early so we could chat and all that and get good seats, lo and behold we walk in to an almost full house. (We found out our showing sold out, and for the people who missed out , they made a second showing for them directly after ours.) Luckily found some decent seats, the coolest part was seeing so many people wearing DBZ gear, felt like middle school again haha.
While watching the film, I felt like I had never seen it before. Granted I only watched it once, but still. So refreshing to see and the jokes were great. Pilaf and the gang, and Trunks being macho fake boyfriend were the highlights for me. Didn't think I'd like the amount of comedy in the film, but it pulls together nicely! I see a lot of people had issues at their showings, but fortunately colors seemed right, sound was AMAZING, (some here stated you could feel blow after blow in the fights, totally agree) and no blackouts.
I see a lot of movies, but I left this one super happy. We all couldn't quit talking about it! Especially where Goku mocks Vegeta's voice.
If I wasn't saving every penny at the moment I'd go see it again today, but I'll settle for the blu-ray. Loved laughing and clapping with the fans! It wasn't obnoxious either, always at the right moments.
Hope everyone gets a chance to see it!

BojGrass
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BojGrass » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:45 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
BojGrass wrote:The audio literally sounded like I was watching the thing on my laptop.
There was definitely no surround sound in our screening. It felt almost like completely center-channel coming from directly on top of the screen. It brought down the experience for sure.
What kills me about the whole thing is the episode of Slugterra that they showed on accident was pristine visually and aurally. Also: surround isn't necessarily a deal breaker for me (front speaker is all we had as well), but there was practically no representation of the bottom end of the audio spectrum. I was never good at identifying frequencies, but I'd wager everything below 100 - 200 at least was completely rolled off. The reason we were given for the sound and picture was because the movie was streamed over something called Screen Vision? I don't know. I'm not exactly knowledgeable about movie theaters and their tech/means of acquiring movies.

I will say too: I was surprised there was so many people at our screening. I don't exactly consider this town to me an anime Mecca, but I'd say it was at about 70 - 80% capacity which was great to see. It was a college town and a bunch of my friends were commenting on how it might have actually been packed if it had been done while students were in town for school.

I'm curious now: if our screening was like that, and Mike's screening was too, I wonder how many others were. Not that it would matter to everyone. I'm just curious.
Last edited by BojGrass on Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChibiGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChibiGoku » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:47 pm

I guess I should post my experience... Where to start....

Initially, I wanted to try and get there by 6:30PM, but ultimately that didn't happen due to one our neighbors kinda seeing us while we were walking the dogs. This delayed us by about 10 minutes or so. Either way, my cousin, niece, and I, got there around 6:50 or so, and there was a little confusion about the tickets for us. Our theater, Tinseltown, didn't have the movie listed as "Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods", but rather as "Special Event". I had to go in to check to see if the ticket was going to label it as either that or Battle of Gods. Since I had pre-ordered it, I had to get it from the kiosk. Either way, once we figured out what was going on, we got in line, got the tickets, and then had to gets some drinks and what not. After that, we finally get to the movie, and they had already played the first 5-7 minutes of the movie (Beerus and Whis were at the lake discussing some stuff). To make matters worse, we were having a bit of a time trying to find a spot to sit, as the theater was rather crowded. Almost every seat was taken. The ones that weren't were one or two seats spaced out rather randomly. Normally, I'd have split us up, but my Niece is a bit younger (9 years old) and needs to be monitored. Ultimately, we went in the second row to the front, having to ask a guy to move down.

Anyways, after that little annoyance, we sat down and started to watch the movie. I had to catch my cousin a little up to speed what was going on, given where we stepped in on.

My niece has never seen Dragon Ball before, nor has my younger Cousin (who is 13), but both of them really enjoyed it. My niece was cracking up a lot through the movie, and from what I could tell, her particular favorite part was with Boo eating the pudding in front of Beerus. As for everything else, it was quite the experience to see the movie in theaters. People laughed, cheered, some gasped at Beerus' line, "...the bastard, Freeza", plus I believe I heard a couple more when Goku swore. Plus, the audience reacted strongly (a lot of "Oooh!"s) after Beerus hit Bulma and Vegeta going nuts, yelling "That's my Bulma!", caused the audience to roar and start cheering, even clapping to top it off!

Honestly, when it comes to an experience seeing the movie in theaters, this was probably the best crowd I had ever done so with. Never experience such strong reactions from a viewing audience before, and to me, that made this worth it alone. From what my cousin and I could tell, the demographic in the theaters seemed to be mostly teenagers and adults, plus a few kids (my niece included).

To this day, I never thought I'd get the chance to see a Dragon Ball Z movie in a local theaters, but Cinemark surprised me by distributing it in my area (though for only one day). So I'm thankful for the powers that be that made this possible. Given the turn-out rate at my theater, I can only hope this encourages them to do this again.
Last edited by ChibiGoku on Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:08 pm

I'm going have to go early then based on what you said ChibiGoku! I'm going to that exact theater today. Although, I'm coming in from Howland (close almost near the border to Niles) area. Looking forward to the screening tonight.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:48 pm

With Funi giving a stellar performance i really hope they got a hold of the Extended Version. It wouldn't be the first time the Western world got something the Japanese didn't. (In this case a home video release of the version)
When the credits roll did anyone else experience a issue where The Cha La Head Cha La song was cut off before the final "ai ya ya ya" yet the pictures kept going?.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:04 pm

^I second this. Like I said, it's been hinted at before.

Also, sounds like you all enjoyed yourselves. I'm looking forward to seeing this when said Extended Version does come out! :)
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

dodge2461
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dodge2461 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:04 pm

So.... I saw the movie last night, but due to being out, I couldn't write about it until now. My theater was pretty packed, much more than usual, though not up to full capacity. Me and my family sat in the middle row, as always. The whole crowd was laughing almost the entire time, clapped when Toriyama's name appeared, clapped when 'Hero' started playing, and even gave the movie a standing ovation that lasted through the whole credits sequence. This is the first movie since Star Wars Episode III to get a standing ovation while I was in the crowd. People even broke out into "Cha-La Head-Cha-La" when it started playing. Overall, the dub was great too. Wasn't totally accurate, but it worked and didn't change character intentions, so I was fine with it.

It was so good, we're going to see it again tonight!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:30 pm

Most people there were adults, I guess around 18 - 35. I saw one person with a kid and that was it. Also a lot of people rise their hands if they like Kai, so not every causal DBZ fans hate Kai. How else did the show had decent ratings on the CW and Nick Toons? People did yell out boo when my friend ask if anyone likes GT :lol: .
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ChibiGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChibiGoku » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:06 pm

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:I'm going have to go early then based on what you said ChibiGoku! I'm going to that exact theater today. Although, I'm coming in from Howland (close almost near the border to Niles) area. Looking forward to the screening tonight.
Actually, I think yours is not the same one as mine. Sorry I didn't respond back to you, but mine's in Erie, PA, in the Millcreek area. I think the link may have actually re-directed you to one closer to you, since I know Cinemark is in this entire upper area. Either way, I hope you enjoy your experience!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:22 pm

So, I was watching the French end credits and at the end the VA for Goku did a pretty epic Kamahamehaaaaa!!
If anyone stayed for the end credits, please tell me Schemmel did the same!

nerdydesi

Post by nerdydesi » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:26 pm

So the version being shown in U.S theaters is the originally theatrical version, not the extended cut, correct? :(
Anyhoo, I'll be looking forward to watching it again with my friend and brother this Sunday. We watched the original Japanese version late last year.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:55 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:So, I was watching the French end credits and at the end the VA for Goku did a pretty epic Kamahamehaaaaa!!
Schemmel did the same at the end of the American dub.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:08 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:So, I was watching the French end credits and at the end the VA for Goku did a pretty epic Kamahamehaaaaa!!
In French ? Are you sure ? I thought that the movie was still not released in France ...I didn't find anything about that.If you have a link or anything else, please share it, Baggie_Saiyan ! :thumbup:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:28 pm

ShinGaijin wrote:
In French ? Are you sure ? I thought that the movie was still not released in France ...I didn't find anything about that.If you have a link or anything else, please share it, Baggie_Saiyan ! :thumbup:
Okay this is incredibly embarrassing lol ,it turned out to Portuguese/Spanish my bad. :oops:
I just skimmed the description upon watching the video first time and thought "Créditos do filme" was French :lol:

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:37 pm

Saw it and enjoyed it. Was surprised at the theater being packed and thus not being in top area like I normally like at movies. (Knew I shouldn't have stopped at the comic book shop nearby). Saw a few folks with DB shirts, and was wearing my old DBZ shirt I got in high school that I haven't worn in years. Would've been tempted to go in my Mr. Satan costume had I gone by car and not by bus. Me and a lot of the audience was laughing throughout and after it was done heard a small bit of applause. Did overhear one guy say he liked it, but wish Goku had defeated Beerus. Question I did have was did the old Kaioshin sound different to anyone else? Missed the credit of his actor, and never knew who his old actor was anyways. Kinda wish they had done double features of the old movies then could've gone with my cousins when we were younger. Still was great to see in theater.