Buu Saga Box Set

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Re: Buu Saga Box Set

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:23 pm

kei17 wrote:
Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:If it's any consolation, I watched the raw Fuji TV episodes on the same TV and the green tint was ever present.
The "raw" that could have been tweaked by a ripping team, right? Anyway, forgive me for being skeptic. I'm always so.
I don't blame you...at all. :) I do wonder though, if they were going to tweak the raw...wouldn't it be to remove the green tint? I've seen plenty of screen shots other people have posted showcasing the green tint and my episodes have always looked exactly the same. Apologies, I'm not savvy in the least on all of these things :oops: . All I know is that I sat down today and watched multiple episodes, first Blu-ray and then raw on the same TV and the difference in the colors of most scenes was night and day.

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:27 pm

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:I just received my box in the mail and when I popped it in, the first thing I noticed was that the colors are beautiful. From what I've seen, the green tint appears to be nonexistent on the home release. I don't have a computer that reads Blu-rays so I'm not sure how to take a screenshot other than just snapping a shot of my TV.
I'm jealous.Jealous.Jealous. :( Congratulations man... :KRYBABY:
kei17 wrote:Thanks for the info, but honestly I won't believe it until I see some raw screencaps. That can be just because of the color setup of your TV.
I agree with Kei, for the following reason.
I don't know how you're watching the show guys, but for my part I only watch untouched TV raws, or directly in live, depending on the situation, and only on TV...and the green tint is nonexistent, unlike when watching on PC, where the colors are really s*itty.
Another topic : what about the booklets ? ^^'
Last edited by ShinGaijin on Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:30 pm

kei17 wrote:
Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:If it's any consolation, I watched the raw Fuji TV episodes on the same TV and the green tint was ever present.
The "raw" that could have been tweaked by a ripping team, right? Anyway, forgive me for being skeptic. I'm always so.
Tweaked by adding a green tint? (Because he said that the raw fuji tv rips had a green tint). I don't think so.

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:35 pm

There's two "main" ripping teams for Kai.One of them, :BIIIIIIIIIP: tweak the colors, the other, :BIIIIIIIIP: leave them as it is.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:36 pm

sangofe wrote:Tweaked by adding a green tint? (Because he said that the raw fuji tv rips had a green tint). I don't think so.
Yeah I know it's illogical in a way, but I pointed it out because I do remember seeing some rips of early episodes with colors even more fucked up compared to my raw Fuji recordings.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:42 pm

Again, not sure if it's any consolation, but I just compared one of my raw episodes to Hujio's screen caps in the episode guide and the colors are identical.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:26 pm

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote: Still a bit of a downgrade from Q-Tec's remastering, but a heck of a lot better than the TV broadcast. Switching from one phase of Kai to the other isn't nearly as jarring anymore. The only irksome thing now is going from 4x3 to 16x9, but I'll get over it.
Oh really? I did like how the TV broadcast looked, and now with no Broly tint I will definitely check out a few sets once FUNi get to releasing (provided they are region B like Kai 1.0)

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:05 pm

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:I just received my box in the mail and when I popped it in, the first thing I noticed was that the colors are beautiful. From what I've seen, the green tint appears to be nonexistent on the home release. I don't have a computer that reads Blu-rays so I'm not sure how to take a screenshot other than just snapping a shot of my TV.
Could you take a pic or two from the HDTV with a 1080p HD camera? I'd really like to see that and sure it wouldn't be totally accurate to how it looks like, but it gives an idea of its picture quality.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:18 pm

Great news. Thank you so much for sharing this! I'm sure this will be the case with the eventual FUNi releases too.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:55 pm

I remember when people said the Korean broadcast had no green tint, but that turned out not to be the case, so I'm not so quick to believe it in this case either.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:48 pm

Took some photos. Not sure how much justice is done with this camera...

Here's a comparison:

Broadcast:
Blu-ray
Goku's dougi is the proper orange, his sash is the proper blue, and he doesn't look as though he's anemic.

Other random Blu-ray shots:

Hope this helps. I did the best I could with what I've got.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:19 pm

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:Took some photos. Not sure how much justice is done with this camera...

Here's a comparison:

Broadcast:
Blu-ray
Goku's dougi is the proper orange, his sash is the proper blue, and he doesn't look as though he's anemic.

Other random Blu-ray shots:

Hope this helps. I did the best I could with what I've got.
Wow the Kai blu rays don't look all that bad at all.

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:23 pm

Faith in Kai! Yes, greatly accepted. That probably means that Kai on Blu Ray will be much better than the Season Sets and I am extremely really happy for this. I heard that the Korean Broadcast had some darker tint episodes or was that a lie? If it isn't then maybe it is the same as that. Now all we need to know is that Kai is in 4:3 and then it will be superior at least for the English Dub. I know for sure this isn't a lighting problem or anything else.
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:22 am

Like with the Korean broadcast, these camera shots prove nothing about the colors.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:44 am

You should download VLC and use snapshot option to screencap images.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:58 am

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:Took some photos. Not sure how much justice is done with this camera...

Here's a comparison:

Broadcast:
This is why I said your "raw" might be unreliable.

Yours:

The same shot from the original transport stream file:

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:52 am

Thanks for the BD screenshots, Freeza Soldier #156 ! :thumbup: And about the TV raws, you should take the ones from Z*** Raws, instead of S**** Raws :
Kei17' TS :
Z*** Raws :
Administrators, don't blame me, I just want to know what Kai's Blu Ray really worth, I'm not promoting piracy.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:52 am

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:You should download VLC and use snapshot option to screencap images.
Was this aimed at the guy buying the blu ray set? If so, go back to page one of this thread and you'll find this:

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:32 am

There's nothing that I can do to prove 100% what I'm saying, I just don't have the necessary tools. All I can say is, I did what ShinGaijin mentioned and used Kei's screen capture, and the colors on the Blu-rays still look significantly better to my eyes. Every time I watched a broadcast episode, the first thing I noticed was that the colors were not DB. Many of the backgrounds and outfits were bland and faded and the characters looked pale and lifeless. The first thing I noticed after starting up the Blu-ray was that everything was bright, colorful, and alive again. That's about all I can say at this point.

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:43 am

:) That's good to hear, thanks man ! I'm glad that they finally did a professional job.I can buy these boxes without fear to be scammed. 8)