"DragonBall" Panel at AnimeNext

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

"DragonBall" Panel at AnimeNext

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:50 pm

This is in regards to AnimeNext 2004 (www.animenext.org). The convention takes place, this year, from June 18th - 20th in Secaucus, NJ.

I've already gotten a response back from two of the staffers, and they seem to love the idea already. Basically, I proposed the idea that maybe it would be extremely cool to have a series-specific panel at an anime convention. Sure, there are all sorts of topic-related panels, but very rarely (if even), has there been a panel dedicated to a specific show.

So yeah. I'm well on my way to not only running the AMV contest and the AMV panel, but also a DB-specific panel at the convention. w00t~!

I'm working on convincing Julian to come down for the con, and that seems to be working well, so far :P. Hey, Greg... will you be back in the states for June 18th - 20th? If you, you're obviously more than welcome to crash the panel.

Basically, I'm looking for feedback on what to present to a crowd of people and how to converse about it. Some basic topics, obvioulsy, would be:

- Why is the show popular? Why has it continued to be popular?
- All the new rise of popularity in Japan (CDs, books, games, etc)
- Rumors, myths

What else? I've already done my first step in the presentation to the staff, and it seems to be getting some damn good positive feedback. I'd like some help on what else you'd like to see covered at a DB panel, even if you can't attend.

And if you could, that'd be even better~!
Last edited by VegettoEX on Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:34 pm

Congratulations EX! That sounds great and I know you and Julian will do a spectacular job! Too bad I'm unable to attend. :cry: I like your ideas for topic coverage already. I thought of another suggestion too. Maybe you could hold an "Ask VegettoEX" session as well, since it's a regular special feature of your site. I think it would be neat to have you doing a "live" one, and if Julian is there with you, he'll be able to handle any translation or language questions. 8)

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:41 pm

A lot of the questions need some research to answer, though.

That's kind of what I pictured with the rumors. They have some rumor to ask and if it's new and any good, you can post it on the site when you get back. Of course, it might end up being:

"Is there a DB AF?"
"No."
"Will there be a DB AF?"
"No."
"Are you sure?"
"Yes."
"But I heard-"
"No you didn't."

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:48 pm

If EX is worried about not being able to answer them right away, he can always arrange to receive the questions ahead of time, if he wanted to. Another thing he could do, is take the most interesting or what he feels are the most important questions from his archive and present them there. I just thought that having people ask though would be a lot more fun and interactive for EX and his audience. That's why I suggested it that way. 8)

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:17 am

I think the idea of coming in with a bunch of actually frequently asked questions is a great idea, possibly coming in with the best from "Ask VegettoEX" is cool, too. The only thing is that these people won't necessarily be fans of the site, so I can't expect them to know what "Ask VegettoEX" is :P

Keep it up, though! Suggestions are great...
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:40 am

Surely your name is famous the length and breadth of the land? Spoken in awed whipsers everywhere from urine-soaked shop doorways to the upper echelons of government.

I think the "FAQ" idea is good. The amount of "live" stuff to have depends really on the *ahem* average intelligence of the people who go to these things. If you know you're going to get stupid questions, then just have everything prepared in advance.

Alternatively, you could have a load of planned stuff, and if the crowd are responding well, you could then ask the crowd for questions.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:57 am

Like I was telling Julian, whenever I do panels (I've done four AMV panels, at this point), I / we try to play off the crowd as best we can. We're there for them, so it only makes sense to answer whatever questions they personally have, rather than just doing my own thing. At the same time, we try to have a set progression of things we'd like to try to cover. So yeah, it's a little of both.

The average intelligence of the AMV panel go-er seems to be decently high, so it'll be interesting to see what the average intelligence of a DB panel go-er will be... :lol:

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:58 am

Oooooh now EX is being a meany! :wink: :P

M-Vegeta
Beyond Newbie

Post by M-Vegeta » Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:11 am

Mind you, this is coming from someone who has never been to any kind of convention.

I think arranging to receive the questions ahead of time is a great idea. It wouldn't hurt to throw in some of your "Ask VegettoEX" questions to get the ball rolling ... especially if the question you're getting from anime convention goers just plain suck. I would definatly throw in some of your "Rumor Guide" stuff, some good information. Such as, "The DBZ movies were originally widescreen / my movies are cropped~!" Who knows, maybe you could even include slides to explain in more detail. From the arranged question, you could move to an open mic for anyone that might have further questions.

Meri
The Wife

Post by Meri » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:45 am

Just a silly side question... since I'll obviously be at the con too (being EX's mode of transportation and all), and being a somewhat old-skool DBZ webmaster, am I gonna be on the panel, too? Get Number 18 on the panel, too (if she'll be going to the con this year)! We need more chicks to represent. :P

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:10 pm

Ooh, I have an idea. It'll be like the Man show and everyone can write and submit their questions ahead of time. Then you just look over them and use the best.

This is where Meri and anyone else comes in. You have a bunch of really good questions from the site already submitted just in case all the questions sucked, and then you just pretend that Meri was a normal audience member, and you answer her questions.

VegEX to himself: Dammit all of these ones suck! Gotta use the fake cards...
VegEX: *pulls out a card* This next one is from Meri. Meri?
Meri: Yeah why is it that Goku blah blah blah?
VegEX: Excellent question!!! *wink wink* Well, you see, Trunks blah blah.
Meri: Good Answer!!! *wink wink*

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:17 pm

Meri wrote:Just a silly side question... since I'll obviously be at the con too (being EX's mode of transportation and all)
You must have powerful legs.

Or

You think'd he'd use a car, like everyone else.

Or

Meri is freakishly strong! Run for the hills in case she goes on a rampage!

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:21 pm

I appreciate the humor, but I'd also like this to be more serious in terms of suggestions ^^;;.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:41 pm

No, I was totally serious. Just don't actually wink at each other, and it would be great. I always thought the Man Show system was pretty cool.

I'm not covering for PsyLiam, though. That guy is just weird :P .

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:18 am

I'm not covering for PsyLiam, though. That guy is just weird .
It's the chins man. It's all about the chins.

Anyway suggestions... yeah... I had one a moment ago... damn my feeble mind! Ah, here we are... (pulls an idea out of ass)

Um... you guys could all cosplay for one. Show how big of DBZ geeks you are :p

And second... if any of you guys can sing... do a live performance of Blue Velvet!
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:37 pm

You guys do realize that Psy's avatar is from Dexter's Lab right? And I don't think EX, Julian, and Meri are into the cosplay. And asking EX to sing? That's just plain cruel man!

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:08 pm

I realize it's Dexter's Lab, but I'm not sure when it occurs.

Considering the fact that I haven't seen them cosplay, or sing, I'll agree with you...

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:53 pm

You guys do realize that Psy's avatar is from Dexter's Lab right?
Nope. Never seen it.
And I don't think EX, Julian, and Meri are into the cosplay. And asking EX to sing? That's just plain cruel man!
How can you not be into cosplay? And hey, I didn't know, maybe EX would be the next Clay Aiken...
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:59 pm

I'm not into cosplay. Greg Werner isn't in to it. And I know that EX has mentioned once or twice that he's not either. I'm not as certain about Meri or Julian, so actually, I really shouldn't speak for them. Anyway, it doesn't make us any less of a fan. 8) I just don't think someone should be do something that they might be uncomfortable with.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:02 am

Episode description: School photos are being taken. Dexter worries, because he always look hideous in school photos. Various attempts are made by him and Dee Dee to make himself look better. Eventually he feeds all the glossy magazines lying around into his computer with the aim of calculating the What Makes People Handsome. He then uses this formula to make himself The Most Handsome Face In The World. Result: my avatar.

Semi-seriously, howsabout having a sing-along to famous DBZ songs? Project the words on a, er, projector. You could even use Julian's super-translations and have everyone sing in English.