Episode #0010 (22 January 2006)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:34 am

Wow, I forgot how awesome Brian Drummond's Vegeta screams were. I'm now looking forward to seeing more of the Ocean dub on CN because of it.

I remember Ginga Giri Giri/Vegeta Insane. I have so much stuff on my ancient Windows 95 computer from those sites and Planet Namek because they were the first ones I ever visited when I got into Dragon Ball. I even remembered the entire thing about the site having to move a couple times due to bandwidth. Didn't they also have a bunch of audio imitations there as well?

I also have a few of their very old videoclips on the computer previously mentioned. Vejitto fighting with Buu 'n such.

Such a shame you don't have a copy of Vegeta's japanese voice actor (Ryo...Horikawa? I can never remember his last name) speaking in english. He's my favorite out of all the va's I've heard for that character, and hearing him speak a few sentences in english would've been amazing.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:52 am

masenko wrote:Yes well, the DS is just a gimmick, the touch screen is completely useless in 90% of the games.
Words from someone who has never played a DS...

ANYWAY, great podcast as usual. I just wish you answered more text emails. I've been waiting for three weeks on mine, and since I don't have a microphone, I can't send an audio email.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:26 am

Yes well, the DS is just a gimmick, the touch screen is completely useless in 90% of the games. PSP is just a more efficient system and the games on it are of higher quality. Sports games like Madden and Tiger Woods on the PSP outshine any DS sports game by about 300%. I'm glad I amused you though...
The touch screen is far from useless. Try playing a few games other than sucky sports titles (which blow on any system). The PSP is good for sports and... that's about it. And, as I said, sports games suck. (Seriously, what's the point of playing a game of game? Just go out play the damn thin for real, geez, and I thought *I* was lazy.)

Er... anyway... Great podcast yet again guys. Funny as always.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:38 am

Great Podcast. I now want more Ocean clips for some sick reason.

Maybe a Dub Voice Actor Comparison Episode? That would even give the 3 dubbies something to enjoy, somewhat.

Or compare Jp, Ocean, and Funi. Even more fun, and tons of clips.

I should stop before I realize it won't happen.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:17 am

Duo wrote:Or compare Jp, Ocean, and Funi. Even more fun, and tons of clips.
I'd actually like to hear that. o_o

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:14 am

I think it's pretty obvious from the podcast where my loyalties happen to be, but please do not turn this thread into a DS vs PSP debate.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:13 pm

Tsukento wrote:
Duo wrote:Or compare Jp, Ocean, and Funi. Even more fun, and tons of clips.
I'd actually like to hear that. o_o
I'd say that may not be the best idea in the world, since there's usually a bit of bias included in comparisons like that. With EVERYONE, not just Mike, Julian and anyone else gathered on the Podcast. As for more sound clips, I love 'em, so I'm all for those.

gotenx
Beyond Newbie

Post by gotenx » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:35 pm

Duo wrote:Great Podcast. I now want more Ocean clips for some sick reason.

Maybe a Dub Voice Actor Comparison Episode? That would even give the 3 dubbies something to enjoy, somewhat.

Make that 4 dubbies!

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:39 pm

gotenx wrote:Make that 4 dubbies!
Umm... what?

If you're going to post, do so coherently and with a purpose. You've been warned several times before about this.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

digireign

Post by digireign » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:05 pm

Excellent job on this week's podcast!

Regarding the echo, I could hear it while listening with my iPod plugged into the car stereo, but on the iPod itself wearing headphones it wasn't too much of a nuicence. I've heard a lot worse. Very nice editing work (especially inserting the clips during your discussion).

Since everybody likes opinions, I wanted to give my opinions on the Top 3 Lines of DBZ. Actually, they come from a lot of the same episodes as Michael's, Meri's, and Castor's, and the same characters, but at different points in time:

#3. Right after Piccolo rejoins Kami-sama, as he is taking off from the lookout, he gets all Zen on us and says: "I am neither Kami-sama nor Piccolo. I am only a Namekian who has long since forgotten his name." It is a cool delivery and, wonder of wonders, I seem to recall the Funi dub not butchering it too badly.

#2. Vegeta's "Do Artificial Humans feel fear?" taunting was great, but he says something ten times cooler a few minutes before that. As he is transforming into a Super Saiya-jin for the first time (on-screen), Kuririn goes, "I thought you needed to have a quiet, pure heart." To which Vegeta replied, "My heart is quiet and pure. But make no mistake about it...it's pure evil!" It's a quote that's not only cool but typifies the character.

And #1. After the mysterious boy first appears, and immediately before he proceeds to effortlessly annihilate Freeza, his father, and his army, he gives a simple warning that is utterly DBZ-ish in style, in quality, in form. Trunks goes, "You will be killed by me instanteously. This I know." Freeza then laughs in his face...and ends up kibbles'n'bits. Sweetness.

Plus, as honorable mention, I really like when, right during the scene (vs. Super Buu) where Goku and Vegeta use the Potara earings, Goku says simply, in English I believe, "Thank you, Vegeta." It is all about the delivery.

That's all. I just wanted to share. Again, congratulations on a tenth awesome podcast. Good luck and have fun with #11!

ShadowAssailantX
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ShadowAssailantX » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:59 am

VegettoEX wrote:
gotenx wrote:Make that 4 dubbies!
Umm... what?

If you're going to post, do so coherently and with a purpose. You've been warned several times before about this.
Is it against the rules to state that you're a fan of the dub excited about a future podcast episode comparing voice actors?

I don't like the guy or his opinions myself, but I don't understand what he's doing wrong here.
So zetta slow

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:37 am

I think it's the fact he's being entirely incoherent.
-Laserkid

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:10 am

ShadowAssailantX wrote:Is it against the rules to state that you're a fan of the dub excited about a future podcast episode comparing voice actors?

I don't like the guy or his opinions myself, but I don't understand what he's doing wrong here.
Maybe you're in a position of understanding more than I am, but I have absolutely no idea what he's trying to say, agree with, disagree with, etc.

Not to mention that he needs to type properly, as he's been warned *several* times in the past about it.

JAKEMAN
Beyond Newbie

Post by JAKEMAN » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:47 am

what did caster troy say after jeice asked his question or was that an echo?
Remember these things I tell you
*Dragonball GT: The GT Stands for Good Tunes
DS Friend Code

kvon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kvon » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:59 pm

I think he either repeated Jeice's last line or said something similar. Something like "make up new poses".
kvon is an alternative name to Kevin

masenko
Beyond Newbie

Post by masenko » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:10 pm

Mizugi wrote:
masenko wrote:Yes well, the DS is just a gimmick, the touch screen is completely useless in 90% of the games.
Words from someone who has never played a DS...

I purchased it, played it for maybe one week. Then, I got bored of how dumb the touch screen is. There was a time where my whole class was all about the DS but we all traded ours in for PSPs. I kept mine just in case something of my tastes comes out for it but I seriously doubt it due to Nintendo's complete lack of mature games. I'll stick to GTA for PSP which is NOT a sports game and yeah, it IS a very high quality game. But now that that's cleared up, I just want to say awesome Podcast again as well as I hope you can get some more variations in guests than people who had DBZ sites years ago...
"I GOTTA GAMBLE EVERYTHING I GOT ON THIS ONE FIST!!!!" - Son Goku, Tale 160

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:31 pm

Masenko, you do realize you comne off as a pompus fanboy, right?

Everyone has diffrent tastes, just let it be.
-Laserkid

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:46 pm

JAKEMAN wrote:what did caster troy say after jeice asked his question or was that an echo?
I didn't quite make it out either, but I heard him say 'Burtur', so odds are it was a quote from the show.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:32 pm

masenko, please read the darn thread before you continue replying. I've kindly asked that this *not* turn into a DS vs PSP discussion. If you would like to discuss this, please find a dedicated video game forum that would welcome your conversation.

A system is only as good as its games, and a game is only as good as you personally feel it is after having spent time with it. The end.

Daizensushi-x
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daizensushi-x » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:13 pm

Yeah, I think that is also a great idea. I may also be a dubbie (sorry :( ), but I have recently bought some dvds, so I can finally watch the episodes in japanese. I have to say, though, that as much as I like the dub, this japanese one is also very good. The music to me feels like Dragon Ball music. Great Podcast, again. :D
-My First short film
Revenge at the Dojo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCK5q8Bcof8