Am I the only one who hates all these new movies?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

i'mfuckingevil
Beyond Newbie

Re: Am I the only one who hates all these new movies?

Post by i'mfuckingevil » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:56 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Aren't Goku & his Friends Return, the Bardock Episode, and Battle of Gods all canon?

Why does it matter if it's canon or not? Don't you enjoy it either way?
I did NOT enjoy them bro, for a number of reasons and that's the point of this thread

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:10 pm

As far as it goes being "new" that only covers Battle of Gods which is a Movie as you put it while the other two are Specials.

"Resurrection of Freeza" seems to be a quite promising film and perhaps even better than Battle of Gods because of Freeza (my all-time fave villain) so I'm definitely excited for it.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

i'mfuckingevil
Beyond Newbie

Post by i'mfuckingevil » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:40 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:As far as it goes being "new" that only covers Battle of Gods which is a Movie as you put it while the other two are Specials.

"Resurrection of Freeza" seems to be a quite promising film and perhaps even better than Battle of Gods because of Freeza (my all-time fave villain) so I'm definitely excited for it.
still new animated films that are ruining the legacy of Dragon Ball, in my opinion. Doesn't matter if they're specials.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:58 pm

These new movies all 2 of them, are hardly ruining the franchise, GT and Evolution did that, infact these new movies are doing the opposite, they're repairing the franchise.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:59 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:These new movies all 2 of them, are hardly ruining the franchise, GT and Evolution did that, infact these new movies are doing the opposite, they're repairing the franchise.
GT ruined what? People love the SSJ4s.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

i'mfuckingevil
Beyond Newbie

Post by i'mfuckingevil » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:04 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:These new movies all 2 of them, are hardly ruining the franchise, GT and Evolution did that, infact these new movies are doing the opposite, they're repairing the franchise.
The franchise doesn't/didn't need repairing. It ended just fine with Goku and Uub.

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:07 pm

i'mfuckingevil wrote:
The franchise doesn't/didn't need repairing. It ended just fine with Goku and Uub.
Yeah, it ended with Uub, but I still like better the GT ending, that is a really decent ending.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

i'mfuckingevil
Beyond Newbie

Post by i'mfuckingevil » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:11 pm

Low Tone G wrote:
i'mfuckingevil wrote:
Yeah, it ended with Uub, but I still like better the GT ending, that is a really decent ending.
Okay, well it's fine if you feel that way.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:14 pm

i'mfuckingevil wrote:
And that is the reason why these movies take place before that, so again how is it ruining the franchise when the ending is still as is? GT ruined that ending yet you don't seem to be complaining about that.
dbboxkaifan wrote:
Vegeta having shorter hair (after stating saiyans hair doesn't change), biker outfit, moustache. Goku being a kid, then magically being an adult when in SS4 state, ruined or misused Piccolo Gohan, Goten and Trunks. Yeah sure a few thing went for GT but there is no denying that it left a bad after taste.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:32 pm

Evolution was forgotten as soon as it was released.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:33 pm

i'mfuckingevil wrote:The franchise doesn't/didn't need repairing.
You're right. The prime time of the franchise was during 1986-1996 and then the things started dying out until 2013 when Battle of Gods was released on theatres. Okay sure, we've had plenty of games during this time but the franchise got revived by Battle of Gods.

A new series isn't happening but Toei seems keen on making Dragon Ball Z films again.

M#1 and M#13 will always be my favourite Z movies not just because of nostalgia but because they were the two best of the batch and regardless that I've seen them countless times they never get old. M#13 with the clean Japanese audio is definitely an awesome experience of which just makes me wish the rest had it too or better.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:32 pm

i'mfuckingevil wrote:This is true, but adding plot holes and inconsistencies to the already insurmountable ones doesn't make things any better. It never does.
I'm aware, and I agree.

But with Dragon Ball, is that not essentially par the course? Why are people surprised that there are continuing the be plotholes and inconsistencies? I just don't understand being so surprised by their existence that its able to ruin the experience for you. If it didn't ruin the experience for you countless times in the past, why does it now? I for one am perfectly okay with inconsistencies and plotholes. That gives me something I can do creative work on, trying to put pieces together to hypothesize how and why what just happened was able to happen; it's honestly one of my favorite aspects of the fandom, if you couldn't tell from my signature.

This whole attitude just comes off as naive and giving oneself too high of expectations. I know, I know, why should it be considered too high of expectations to just want a story that has no hiccups? I get that. But again, this is Dragon Ball. I don't see how someone can be a fan for very long and not be able to just come to terms with this reality. If one doesn't quickly come to grips with this, I'm impressed by their continued fandom, as I'd expect one to move on to a franchise with a more concisely and meticulously planned narrative.

I'm not intending to come off rude or anything; I'm not telling anyone they shouldn't be a fan. I'm just exacerbated by the cognitive dissonance involved with being a Dragon Ball fan, and expecting and demanding a totally perfectly crafted and consistent narrative.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:11 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
SSj4 may look cool, but it's not enough to heal the damage that show did. After DBZ ended, people had high hopes for GT and it end up sucking. 17 years after GT ended, fans still don't like it.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:12 pm

Not true, I loved it as a kid! :lol:
With knowledge and maturity came the hate tough.
I dwelve in constant battle between nostalgia and nowadays.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:54 pm

hleV wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:And what's so bad about Super Saiyan God in-of-itself then? Godly ki, while a little suspect, is something else that I don't think we've seen enough of yet to make a full judgement on. Vegeta's rage I see absolutely no reason to hate.
At this point I'd make a claim that you are blinded by your love for the series and aren't able to properly judge it because it has "DB" in its name. Must be an easy life when you're able to accept nonsense so easily. Some people see that something's wrong, and with so many arguments having had, they're not wrong about something being wrong, it's the other people who ignore that fact because they'd like for it to not be wrong. Not sure if I'm making any sense here. Which is more likely? That some people see that something (quite particular things) is wrong because it's wrong? Or that for some reason they're (and I'm talking about quite a few people) just seeing things.

The reason I like DB manga is because it's awesome, not because it's DB. The same doesn't go to most other DB media, because it's not awesome.
Just because I'm more willing to accept things rather than declaring everything 'the worst thing ever/RUINS EVERYTHING' doesn't mean I can't judge things badly if they have DB in the name. I dislike Evolution. I feel GT, while filled with great ideas, was executed pretty horribly. Sagas was a missed opportunity, and Taiketsu doesn't even deserve to be called a game.

Not once have I said that anyone is 'wrong' for not liking Battle of Gods or anything else. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. If anything it's you and many others that are sitting there going 'but this ruins everything, it shouldn't even exist, if you enjoyed this you were wrong!'. Heck, you literally just said 'the people that see something wrong aren't wrong, it's you guys who like it that are wrong'. Pot calling the kettle black much? You also seem to be mistaking my optimism for blind love of anything that gets the name slapped onto it, but that's not the case at all. And even if it were, I'll take a positive outlook over a negative one any day.
i'mfuckingevil wrote:As I've stated before (I'll just copy and paste) we have this bunny looking "god" that can defeat a SSJ3 with a flick of a finger, who's to say there isn't another being in the universe greater than this "god" who can defeat him with a flick of a finger? And another being that can defeat that being with a flick of the finger? And another being that can defeat that being with a flick of the finger? And does the Saiyan DNA have enough transformations within its genetic material beyond its "god" form to be able to keep up with all these beings?
It's been covered many, many times before - Beerus isn't a bunny. He's based on an Egyptian cat. The long ears do not automatically equate to a bunny. And, no offense, but how exactly is him being stronger than Goku a bad thing? The thing that you just described, where someone else comes along and can flick someone away, and then someone else flicks that person away, and then - that whole thing? That's...basically Dragon Ball's power scaling in a nut shell. The manga did that with every new arc. So why is it suddenly a problem only when the new material does that?

Edit: Oh hey, 5,000 posts, and I waste it bickering...must be a sign of the times.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:45 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
And hate everything else about GT.

i'mfuckingevil
Beyond Newbie

Post by i'mfuckingevil » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:09 am

I could've sworn I saw a few more posts in this thread... is someone deleting posts?

dammit... it was a good post by someone too.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:37 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Not once have I said that anyone is 'wrong' for not liking Battle of Gods or anything else. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. If anything it's you and many others that are sitting there going 'but this ruins everything, it shouldn't even exist, if you enjoyed this you were wrong!'.
That's not what we're arguing about. You just showed that you're incapable of seeing what's bad about the existence of SSG or Vegeta's rage. Yet quite a few people do, and countless arguments don't seem to change their minds. Surely BOG went wrong somewhere if some very particular things about it seem wrong to people? To people who watched the series and/or read the manga many times over? Are you really claiming that they're seeing things? That they're making things up for the heck of it? Because what I claim is that it is way, way more plausible that the other party is not able to see the "wrong". I can only speculate the reasons for that, but it's what I honestly believe. Whether the "wrongs" ruin the movie is a completely different matter and I agree is up to an individual to decide for themselves.

i'mfuckingevil
Beyond Newbie

Post by i'mfuckingevil » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:08 am

To the gentleman who deleted your post - I invite you to repost what you stated before. I'm sorry for whatever reason made you feel uncomfortable having that post there but it was really good and supports the notion of this thread.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:38 am

hleV wrote:That's not what we're arguing about. You just showed that you're incapable of seeing what's bad about the existence of SSG or Vegeta's rage. Yet quite a few people do, and countless arguments don't seem to change their minds. Surely BOG went wrong somewhere if some very particular things about it seem wrong to people? To people who watched the series and/or read the manga many times over? Are you really claiming that they're seeing things? That they're making things up for the heck of it? Because what I claim is that it is way, way more plausible that the other party is not able to see the "wrong". I can only speculate the reasons for that, but it's what I honestly believe. Whether the "wrongs" ruin the movie is a completely different matter and I agree is up to an individual to decide for themselves.
Your logic makes absolutely zero sense, at least in-so-far as supporting your side of the argument. I could just as easily say that you're incapable of seeing that for a lot of us, there are no problems with those things. And that's just it - it's not that I don't see what you cite as problems, but I just don't see them as problems at all. Just as you're claiming that we're blinding ourselves to the "wrongs" that you see, you're ignoring the possibility that we don't see those things as problems at all. I've seen the entire franchise all the way through at the very least three times, so this argument of having seen it many times over doesn't hold much weight either. Your countless arguments aren't changing our minds either.

In fact, this entire thing is going in circles at this point. Every statement you make about these things being problems lack points of why you see them as problems, instead just gesturing going 'but it's so obviously a problem, you just don't see it!', and I tire of this roundabout bickering.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)