"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:38 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:What did he say in the original Z dub?
I thought it was obvious I was talking the English, not Japanese, version considering this is an English dub forum & I rarely reference the original Japanese unless I have to. Anyways, I've corrected it.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:39 am

I knew you were talking about the English dub. I do not call the Japanese version a dub.

And you havent told me. I checked out the English dub on Youtube and all Goten says is daddy. Also this forum is for the Original Japanese Version. Its not a dub forum. Vegetto EX and the other mods have made that clear. Not that I dont like dubs. I love the Latin American dub the best. And Kanzenshuu should ideally be a melting pot of likes, dislikes and opinions.
Last edited by Cure Dragon 255 on Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:40 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I know you were talking about the English dub. I do not call the Japanese version a dub.
Ah, I see. I already put what Goten said originally. I don't get how you could've missed it.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:45 am

Overall, I'd say really good, though I REALLY wish that they'd kept the original (English) dub's simple 1-word line when Goten jumped into Goku's arms of him just saying "daddy." I don't know why, but it's one of the rare instances in the original dub that legitimately brings tears to my eyes when I think of it.
You didnt say anything you just said something about "1-word line". Or did he say that literally?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt4wOWJmVhA
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:48 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Overall, I'd say really good, though I REALLY wish that they'd kept the original (English) dub's simple 1-word line when Goten jumped into Goku's arms of him just saying "daddy." I don't know why, but it's one of the rare instances in the original dub that legitimately brings tears to my eyes when I think of it.
You didn't say anything you just said something about "1-word line". Or did he say that literally?
Yes, Goten just said, "daddy," as he lept into Goku's arms to hug him in the original dub. I typed that it was a 1-word line & then I typed what it was. I'm sorry if that wasn't clear enough already.
Last edited by Scsigs on Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:50 am

Ah. I thought there was something I was missing. I'm dumb like that. Sorry to give you a hard time buddy.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:52 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Ah. I thought there was something I was missing. I'm dumb like that. Sorry to give you a hard time buddy.
Just do us all a solid & read more carefully next time, k?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:54 am

Its that because I over read it and thought there was something I was missing. But yeah,k!

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:01 am

What do you guys think of the music?

I think it's not bad for the most part, although I do have a few complaints:
1.) It sometimes feels very cheap and video game-y in the way it sounds. The recap music comes to mind.
2.) That disco track is not very good lol
3.) A lot of the tracks seem....generic, almost as if they were composed not because they were the best fit for that scene, but rather because they are generic enough so that they can be repurposed for many other types of scenes.

But still, the music isn't bad. There are a few good pieces. But overall, I definitely prefer "Yamamoto's" music over Sumitomo's. The dub is great, and the green tint still isn't noticeable on my television for some reason. But when I watch it on Adult Swim's site, it is noticeable. So either it's a calibration thing or it's just harder to notice on a television since there's less frame of reference to give you an idea of what the normal baseline should be (since the show takes up the whole screen and you can't open up a new tab to see what the correct colors are).

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:40 am

Scsigs wrote:
Seriously. I thought him just saying "Daddy!!" was much more effective

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:46 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Seriously. I thought him just saying "Daddy!!" was much more effective
Right?

gameleon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by gameleon » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:20 pm

Mhm. The episode was pretty decent, but even after 2 years since this aired in Japan I really can't get over the music placement of the "Goku returns" scene.
The Final Chapter placement for the scene is better than what aired in Japan, but still, that freakin disco track at that moment...

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:46 pm

I enjoyed both versions, but man did that ost ruin the scene a little for me. Too energetic for a welcoming back scene.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:12 am

Man Schemmel's Goku is just great to listen to these days! Everything here flows a lot better than the old Z dub the cast all sound great. This dub is living up to the expectations!

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:50 am

superfan2024 wrote:man did that ost ruin the scene
Get ready to be saying that a lot. Boo Kai's music placement is absolutely abysmal. It has zero regard for tone or intent.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

MarcBigleague
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MarcBigleague » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:18 am

Ajay wrote:
Get ready to be saying that a lot. Boo Kai's music placement is absolutely abysmal. It has zero regard for tone or intent.
This is those times we wish for the fraud man Bruce Faulconer XD

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:37 am

MarcBigleague wrote:
Ajay wrote:
I like some of the Faulconer tracks, but I'd still take Sumitomo's score over it anyday.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MarcBigleague
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MarcBigleague » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:40 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
MarcBigleague wrote:
Ajay wrote:
I like some of the Faulconer tracks, but I'd still take Sumitomo's score over it anyday.
HAHAHAHA true xP

But, imagine if this played when Gokuu saw Goten https://youtu.be/_BMpTLBau0o?t=1m36s It would have made Goten look very powerful and mysterious in my opinion.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:23 am

MarcBigleague wrote:
MarcBigleague wrote: This is those times we wish for Bruce Faulconer XD
HAHAHAHA true xP

But, imagine if this played when Gokuu saw Goten https://youtu.be/_BMpTLBau0o?t=1m36s It would have made Goten look very powerful and mysterious in my opinion.

The Faulconer Prod. theme that did in fact play for that scene is pretty fitting. I'd take that over the disco theme any day.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:33 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
MarcBigleague wrote:
HAHAHAHA true xP

The Faulconer Prod. theme that did in fact play for that scene is pretty fitting. I'd take that over the disco theme any day.
Yeah, in fact the Buu score overall was pretty decent and way much better then what Sumi and placementer did here.