"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Re: Funimation Buu release guess?

Post by LordCrumb » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:52 am

SSJ Electric Fury wrote:What was Amazon's typical on-release price for FUNimation's DVD Kai parts? I would also like to know the typical Blu-ray price.
You can use the Price Tracking feature on Blu-Ray.com

The PART sets started at $US24.49 on their initial Amazon release.

The SEASON sets went for just under $40.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:05 pm

Well, FUNi announced their May releases and Kai is nowhere to be found. I was really expecting a May release. What could they be waiting for? :problem: I can't think of any reason why Toei would be holding them up. It's just less money for them.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:57 pm

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:Well, FUNi announced their May releases and Kai is nowhere to be found. I was really expecting a May release. What could they be waiting for? :problem: I can't think of any reason why Toei would be holding them up. It's just less money for them.
Maybe the Japanese broadcast of Kai has turned out to be extended and FUNi have to wait for extra months for their release. Or they don't want to saturate the market by releasing the Buu arc twice in a short time.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:58 pm

kei17 wrote:
Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:Well, FUNi announced their May releases and Kai is nowhere to be found. I was really expecting a May release. What could they be waiting for? :problem: I can't think of any reason why Toei would be holding them up. It's just less money for them.
Maybe the Japanese broadcast of Kai has turned out to be extended and FUNi have to wait for extra months for their release. Or they don't want to saturate the market by releasing the Buu arc twice in a short time.
Well wouldn't it be extended? Given this has been following the international version for a while?
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:24 am

Maybe Funimation thought the green tint was unfit for television and decided to color correct it frame by frame and that's what's causing the delay.
Or maybe they thought 16:9 was just too unacceptable so they're trying to re-sync all the footage with an in-progress 4:3 Level set remaster of the original show.
OR maybe they're replacing the background music and hiring Kenji Yamamoto to re-do it.

My dream release would be all of the above, but we'll probably end up getting 0 out of 3 :lol:

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:35 am

thaman91 wrote:Maybe Funimation thought the green tint was unfit for television and decided to color correct it frame by frame and that's what's causing the delay.
Or maybe they thought 16:9 was just too unacceptable so they're trying to re-sync all the footage with an in-progress 4:3 Level set remaster of the original show.
OR maybe they're replacing the background music and hiring Kenji Yamamoto to re-do it.

My dream release would be all of the above, but we'll probably end up getting 0 out of 3 :lol:
Won't happen I am doing one out of three of those and that's using yamamoto
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:44 pm

Since Japan and North America share the same Blu-Ray region coding, maybe Toei is forcing them to wait until the Japanese domestic releases are completed to discourage the more savvy Japanese fans from just importing Funimation's releases for approximately half the price.

That's the only explanation that would make sense at this point, IMO.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:37 pm

They'd be stupid if they release Boo Kai right away now that they just finished the BR seasons.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:26 pm

I don't think they're going to sit on this much longer, especially with the Japanese broadcast close to wrapping up and the new movie merely months away. We'll probably see the first volume by this Fall. I think they'd be able to cross-promote the Kai Buu release with the new movie, if they actually get it released here sooner than a year.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

fdsfgs71

Post by fdsfgs71 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:12 pm

So has it been confirmed that we're only getting the 69 episode run released here and not the Japanese/Fuji TV run? Because knowing Funimation, I can see them releasing the Fuji TV run first, followed later with the International version being released later on as an "uncut" Kai Buu saga release.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:26 pm

fdsfgs71 wrote:So has it been confirmed that we're only getting the 69 episode run released here and not the Japanese/Fuji TV run?
The Fuji version is probably only going to be 10 episodes less so there won't be any point in releasing it as it's own thing so chances are we're only getting the international version which from the name is made for us and other countries not named Japan.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:50 pm

fdsfgs71 wrote:So has it been confirmed that we're only getting the 69 episode run released here and not the Japanese/Fuji TV run? Because knowing Funimation, I can see them releasing the Fuji TV run first, followed later with the International version being released later on as an "uncut" Kai Buu saga release.
Ok, that serves no purpose whatsoever. No confirmation or official announcement had been made, but the Fuji TV version serves its purpose in Japan and has no place in the rest of the world. Plus, we're not even sure how different is anyway. So far, it's remained identical for the most part, aside from a few obvious changes regarding OP and EDs.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:36 pm

Yeah it looks like we'll probably get the international version, which is a shame because we won't be able to experience the awesomeness of "Ku-Zen-Zetsu-Go", the true successor to "Dragon Soul", and will instead have to endure the cheesiness of "Fight it Out" before every episode.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:38 pm

As exceptionally well welcomed and ecstatic as it has made me about the new info on the movie, it is certainly also disheartening to still have no news on this front. Given the new information we have to work with, does anyone have a new speculation or guess as to whats up? Fall 2015 perhaps? Whatcha think?

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:28 pm

ShaneisMC wrote:As exceptionally well welcomed and ecstatic as it has made me about the new info on the movie, it is certainly also disheartening to still have no news on this front. Given the new information we have to work with, does anyone have a new speculation or guess as to whats up? Fall 2015 perhaps? Whatcha think?
Honestly, I really don't know what to expect now. I felt fairly certain that today was going to be the day they finally announced Kai, but it was RoF instead (which is totally awesome by the way).
But I'm still really looking forward to "The Final Chapters". If I was going to take a guess, I'd have to say Winter.

funrush

Post by funrush » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:11 pm

If I were them I'd try to get it out before the Resurrection F dub hits American theaters, so people have something to splurge on. Even though people will probably just buy the DBZ bluray seasons.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:50 pm

funrush wrote:Even though people will probably just buy the DBZ bluray seasons.
What's with the strike? I did exactly that due to Kai 2.0's slow pacing, one episode a week, piss-poor "remastering," and bad music. I didn't want to wait and I'm glad I didn't. Got Season 9 on BD remastered for $26 after tax.

Also, I'm not too "into the loop" on Kai 2.0 and whatnot but everyone here is talking about FUNimation releasing it... What about airing it? And why hasn't it aired yet at all? I kind of figured that it would be aired then released on BD like normal shows...

ChibiGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChibiGoku » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:15 am

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:
What's with the strike? I did exactly that due to Kai 2.0's slow pacing, one episode a week, piss-poor "remastering," and bad music. I didn't want to wait and I'm glad I didn't. Got Season 9 on BD remastered for $26 after tax.

Also, I'm not too "into the loop" on Kai 2.0 and whatnot but everyone here is talking about FUNimation releasing it... What about airing it? And why hasn't it aired yet at all? I kind of figured that it would be aired then released on BD like normal shows...
The American airing of The Final Chapter probably got delayed several times, due to Nicktoons passing on it (for whatever reason) and Vortexx shutting down. As it stands, the only way it's probably going to air now is once the Toonami airing finishes the first Kai, which will be in roughly two years from now.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:09 am

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:Also, I'm not too "into the loop" on Kai 2.0 and whatnot but everyone here is talking about FUNimation releasing it... What about airing it? And why hasn't it aired yet at all? I kind of figured that it would be aired then released on BD like normal shows...
The most likely reason it hasn't aired yet is because Nicktoons evidently decided to drop Kai for some reason, which left it without a network to air on, until Adult Swim picked up the uncut version for Toonami...but they started from episode 1, so (unless they decide to skip way ahead) it'll be a couple of years before they even get to the end of the original run of Kai, let alone The Final Chapters.

Regarding the bolded: Outside of Toonami, anime on US TV is pretty much dead, so no anime really does the "TV first, then DVD/BD" model anymore (outside of occasional "dub premieres" that get overtaken by the DVD/BDs in a matter of weeks). If a series happens to get picked up for TV broadcast, that's cool, but Funimation et al aren't going to hold back their releases to cater to a dying medium anymore. They don't care. As an example, Funimation is gearing up to release One Piece "Season 7" this summer when Toonami is still in the middle of "Season 5" (see also: Naruto Shippuden, though there's an even larger gap there). The Final Chapters will almost certainly be the same in this regard.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:19 am

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:

If you watch Japanese... well ok i might see how you could have that opinion. If you watch english.... dude the script and voice acting is LIGHT YEARS ahead of what it was in the original anime. Original english Z compared to Kai is absolutely atrocious. Honestly even without comparing it to anything its not particularly good. Now its fantastic and i absolutely cant wait to see how well they update their performances for this final arc of the story. As for everything else. Slow pacing? I dont understand where you are coming from on that stance? It still has over 20 episodes of material shaved off the original. TV Broadcasting schedule has no relevance to the quality of the material. The remastering while yes I understand how it could have been handled better I dont believe its fair to compare what we have seen from what I assume to be standard definition tv broadcast quality versus a Funimation Blu Ray copy. On that note we'll just have to wait and see how its handled. As for the music..... well yeah I half way agree with you. Some of it really isnt the best by any stretch. Though that being said there are genuinely some tracks that i really do actually like quite a bit. But yeah end of the day, if its for english dub fans, without question Kai is bound to be the better product. I literally cant watch the original anymore. Its just embarrassing. Those lines and acting man...... ughhhh :oops: