"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Funimation Buu release guess?

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 18, 2015 12:03 pm

I agree with the general consensus of people's frustration with the delay of the release of Kai 2.0. But honestly, I'm not surprised by this delay. I'm certain the only Dragon Ball related plans Funimation had in their books this year was Revival Of F, then out of nowhere, a new Dragon Ball series is announced and the internet explodes over the news. The period at which the series will debut most likely threw an almighty spanner in the works for Funimation and lead to them have to reschedule and reshuffle a lot of their priorities. I mean, Dragon Ball is still their cash cow. So they will be most likely look to capitalise on Dragon Ball Super as quickly as possible. Even if that means putting other products on the backburner, i.e. Kai 2.0.

So will we get Kai 2.0. from Funimation? Absolutely.

Will we get Kai 2.0. this year? Doubt it.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon May 18, 2015 1:27 pm

The information regarding the English dub of the Buu saga of Kai has been a little conflicting. I've heard from some (reliable) sources that the whole dub has been done for over a year, but FUNimation has been prevented from releasing it by Toei for unknown reasons. However, a fairly recent podcast featuring Sean Schemmel had him saying that he was still recording. So I don't know what's up, but two things are for sure:

1) Even if the dub is not done, it is being worked on, and a ton of progress has been made. Schemmel mentioned the scene where Goku says goodbye to Gohan, so clearly, even if they're not done, they're done with a big chunk of it. NDA or no NDA, I don't think it would be a big deal at this point if the actors acknowledged that they're working on it...it's not exactly secret anymore.

2) We don't know what the unknown reasons are for the delay of the release, but I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Super was one of them. FUNimation can only do what Toei permits them to do, from what they dub, to when they release it, to how they release it. So Toei may have told them to hold off on it while they get a marketing plan together for Super. France and South Korea probably began their dubs before Super went into production, hence the reason Toei hasn't halted their releases. However, having two Dragon Ball series being released at once is not optimal, because then they're kind of competing against each other. So Toei is likely going over their marketing strategy and thinking, "So, how do we make sure both of these things make the most money they possibly can...?"
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon May 18, 2015 1:33 pm

I don't think Super had anything to do with anything here with Kai.

If you ask me, Toriko is the culprit. Toei wasn't going to do anything with this new Kai arc, then randomly decided they would, then couldn't tell their ass from a hole in the wall with regard to international distribution despite that being the whole point, and so on and so forth. I wouldn't be surprised if Kai's American channel swapping played into things, as well (maybe there was some kind of stipulation about where/how it would air, and if that changed, renegotiation would have to occur).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon May 18, 2015 2:00 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Kai's American channel swapping played into things, as well (maybe there was some kind of stipulation about where/how it would air, and if that changed, renegotiation would have to occur).
That could definitely be the case. I've heard of some anime titles getting licensed with contractual stipulations mandating that the licensing/dubbing company has to get it on TV.

If that's the case, then ho boy do we have a long wait ahead of us. The Toonami airing isn't even close to the end of the Cell arc.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon May 18, 2015 2:51 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Kai's American channel swapping played into things, as well (maybe there was some kind of stipulation about where/how it would air, and if that changed, renegotiation would have to occur).
That could definitely be the case. I've heard of some anime titles getting licensed with contractual stipulations mandating that the licensing/dubbing company has to get it on TV.

If that's the case, then ho boy do we have a long wait ahead of us. The Toonami airing isn't even close to the end of the Cell arc.
If that is the issue, then we are in for a long wait indeed. Or they announce it in July, we can hope.

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Mon May 18, 2015 3:25 pm

I don't think Funimation is going to make us wait that long. And I don't think they want to wait that long to release it either. I think they are going to announce it in July just like they did with the Dragon Boxes back in 2009. Considering this is not a new anime and just the final arc for Kai, I think they will just give it a casual announcement, maybe even show a clip or something like that, but probably nothing special.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon May 18, 2015 4:40 pm

Darkblade1995 wrote:I don't think Funimation is going to make us wait that long. And I don't think they want to wait that long to release it either. I think they are going to announce it in July just like they did with the Dragon Boxes back in 2009. Considering this is not a new anime and just the final arc for Kai, I think they will just give it a casual announcement, maybe even show a clip or something like that, but probably nothing special.
To be honest, as Darkblade1995 said above, this isn't new content, it's simply DBZ recut. So it probably will just get a silent announcement alongside the other licenses shipping that month.
That was more than likely the reason they chose not to simulcast/broadcast dub it.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon May 18, 2015 5:37 pm

Darkblade1995 wrote:I don't think Funimation is going to make us wait that long. And I don't think they want to wait that long to release it either. I think they are going to announce it in July just like they did with the Dragon Boxes back in 2009. Considering this is not a new anime and just the final arc for Kai, I think they will just give it a casual announcement, maybe even show a clip or something like that, but probably nothing special.
Yep, I'd guess around August/September they'll make an announcement of Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray & DVD and then few days later have it up for pre-order. Let's just be honest, Kai 2.0 is kind of crap but the sort that's watchable.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon May 18, 2015 6:14 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Yep, I'd guess around August/September they'll make an announcement of Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray & DVD and then few days later have it up for pre-order. Let's just be honest, Kai 2.0 is kind of crap but the sort that's watchable.
I agree, for the most part, I've not been bothered about the green tint, but combine the glaring cropping errors with some of the filler that has been kept has at times been unnecessary.
But I'd still rather sit through 23 less episodes than watching my Dragon Boxes, not to mention what will more than likely be a far superior dub.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Tue May 19, 2015 5:21 am

content://media/external/file/109323 Idk if this will work or not. But for what it's worth a few weeks ago Sean was drunk tweeting and I asked if we were gonna get Buu Kai news soon and he said "yes and yes or something".

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Wed May 20, 2015 8:24 pm

If we don't see Kai on August or Septembers' release Schedule from FUNimation, then I really have no clue when we are going to get it.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed May 20, 2015 9:27 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:If we don't see Kai on August or Septembers' release Schedule from FUNimation, then I really have no clue when we are going to get it.
Probably early 2016, if not announcement is made in August or September. But at this point, your guess is as good as mine.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed May 20, 2015 10:30 pm

ShaneisMC wrote:content://media/external/file/109323 Idk if this will work or not.
What in the world is that supposed to be?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed May 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
ShaneisMC wrote:content://media/external/file/109323 Idk if this will work or not.
He pasted a local path of Android OS and failed to post a screenshot of Schemmel's tweet.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu May 21, 2015 1:24 am

I don't have any Android devices, so I wouldn't know. :mrgreen:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu May 21, 2015 2:36 am

I contacted Madman on Facebook, and asked them if they had any idea when Kai would be released, and they said no idea until FUNimation make their announcement.

I'm personally ready to give up getting it any time soon.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu May 21, 2015 6:21 am

DBZ_Lee wrote:I contacted Madman on Facebook, and asked them if they had any idea when Kai would be released, and they said no idea until FUNimation make their announcement.
Well, that's just bloody wonderful. :|

Just more and more waiting.

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Thu May 21, 2015 6:36 am

I still think they will give The Final Chapters a Oktober/November release date, and the announcement will probably be in July. If they won't announce it in July, I give up on any hope that it will be released this year.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu May 21, 2015 7:21 am

I just don't understand why they are being so secretive about it. It's been the worst kept secret going, we've known about it for more than two years.

Considering France have already released the first of their two sets, and Korea have been airing it since last year too, FUNimations' insistence on silence is beginning to get irritating.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Thu May 21, 2015 7:43 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
Yep what Kei said. Never tried linking a copy of a mobile screenshot over a forum before. I have let everyone down :P Like I said it was pretty straightforward. He was drunk, I asked about getting Buu Kai news soon, he said yeah.