Transformation Guide - Nearly Complete, Kinda?

Help the Kanzenshuu staff beta-test new sections, new website initiatives, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:42 pm

Maybe you could do it in both? The circumstances are somewhat different between the movie and the series (and feature)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:00 pm

Yeah, probably will. Definitely going to mention Broli again in the "Movie" section, as well. Only makes logical sense to do so.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:09 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:In the section on Golden Ozaru, you call Bebi's new home Planet Planet. Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't it supposed to be Planet Plant? I always thought it was, so that's also why I'm asking, in case I've been wrong all these years. :P
Well... except that "Planet Plant" really only existed as a "tentative" name for Vegeta, before they finally decided to just go with "Vegeta." The name "Planet Plant" doesn't figure in to regular series discussion, for either the anime or manga, because it didn't make it past the "design" stage. So... we should really say either "Planet Vegeta" or "the planet of the Tsufuru" or something like that.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:06 am

Ahh, I see. Thanks for explaining that Julian. :)
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:58 am

Deus ex Machina wrote:
Jerseymilk wrote: Also, along the line of the movies, are you going to make any mention of the alternate version of SSJ that Goku tranforms into in Movie #4? I know they only made the form that way because they didn't want to give away the true appearance to people who hadn't yet seen that part of the T.V. series, but I think it would be an interesting sidenote. Who knows, you could maybe even theorize that it's perhaps a preceding stage right before actual SSJ and that Kaio-sama incorrectly assumed it as SSJ. Just a thought anyway. :)
I think this should be included too, since it's also seen in the History of Trunks and Great Saiyaman saga (When he beats the Ginyu force).
I know what you're talking about with the History of Trunks part, and of the instance in movie 4 (since I own both) but can't seem to remember the part you're refering to in the Saiyaman saga...
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:33 pm

I'm reffering to when Goku follows Paikuhan to Hell after Cell tries to take over. When Goku first arrives he 'half transforms' into SSJ, his hair stands up and his aura turns gold, but his eyes and hair are still black. Freeza sends the Ginyu force after him first (They think they've powered up enough to beat him now, lol right) and he knocks them all down without breaking a sweat.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:14 pm

Ah. Another instance of my crappy memory at work as I still can't remember seeing it though I saw that episode... ah well, no big deal.
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Good point.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:11 pm

So, when does it occur in the History Of Trunks special? I can't remember for the life of me.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:12 pm

Neither can I.

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:14 pm

PsyLiam wrote:So, when does it occur in the History Of Trunks special? I can't remember for the life of me.
When Gohan is trying to coach him into transforming, but he can't quite make it and fails (That scene in the feild). And before you say that doesn't count, it looks exactly like when Goku did the same thing in the Great Saiyaman saga, the only difference being that Goku could go all the way. 8)

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:47 pm

But, but...it doesn't count! It's obviously him almost getting it, but not quite. Like Gohan training in the Room of Time and Spirit (both before he transforms initially, and when he almost transforms into a SSJ II).

Or when Gohan's hair starts sticking up more during the fight with Cell, as forshadowing of his eventual transformation. It doesn't count as a seperate transformation in itself, I wouldn't have thought.

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:53 pm

PsyLiam wrote:But, but...it doesn't count! It's obviously him almost getting it, but not quite. Like Gohan training in the Room of Time and Spirit (both before he transforms initially, and when he almost transforms into a SSJ II).

Or when Gohan's hair starts sticking up more during the fight with Cell, as forshadowing of his eventual transformation. It doesn't count as a seperate transformation in itself, I wouldn't have thought.
It wouldn't count if that was the only occurance, but Goku proves that in the GS saga and Movie 4 that the 'false' SSJ can still be used as a battle advantage.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:55 pm

Hmmm, you have a valid point here Dues.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:57 pm

But let's remember that false SSJ in movie 4 IS SSJ, only they fucked up the method in which it should be drawn. (If memory serves it's because Toriyama hadn't drawn SSJ in the manga yet)
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:01 pm

Dayspring wrote:But let's remember that false SSJ in movie 4 IS SSJ, only they fucked up the method in which it should be drawn. (If memory serves it's because Toriyama hadn't drawn SSJ in the manga yet)
Are you sure? I was under the impression that it had already been drawn in the manga, but the episode haden't aired on television yet.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:04 pm

Yes, Dues is correct. When those movies are made, they have to not be exactly like the series because they show all over the country and different regions aren't at the same point in the show. So it's to avoid "plot giveaways" and confusion. That's why the movies don't fit with the series. They had no choice but to make the transformation different.

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:06 pm

And aside from that, if Goku really did transform into a Super Saiyan there, the movie would pretty much be over. Slug couldn't even stand up to a false SSJ, imagine if he faced the real thing. :lol:

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:09 pm

I don't get that. They don't want to spoil the whole "Super Saiyan" revelation, so they...do it exactly the same except leave his hair black. Woopeedoo.

Anyway, I'm agreeing that it counts as a seperate transformation in Goku's case. I just don't think that Trunks' attempts to turn Super Saiyan are the same thing, since

1/ It wasn't "stable", and
2/ It looks like every other instance when a character "almost" transformed to the next level but didn't quite make it.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:54 pm

Goku's wasn't either, at least not in movie 4. Seeing Slug rip off his arm and then regrow it kind of snapped him back to reality.
<Xyex> Good point.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:12 pm

It was, at least, semi-stable. Certainly more stable than Trunks', which only lasted as long as he was doing the whole "I really, really need to get this shit out" thing.