Are rough Romaji spellings "True To The Original"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Are rough Romaji spellings "True To The Original"

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:43 am

I really dont think so. Unless you really arent sure of what to use because he himself cant decide, Toriyama's intent should prevail.

Thus,I dont think Bejita, Torankusu,Furiza and stuff are true to the original as they are true to a belief that sounding more japanese is better, the hell with Toriyama's intent.

NOTE: I'm not saying stuff like Kuririn is bad. Just needless rough Romaji spellings being thought as superior to the actual version approved by the author.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Cetra
I Live Here

Re: Are rough Romaji spellings "True To The Original"

Post by Cetra » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:37 am

True to the original is what reflects the intention. Trunks reflects what is meant with the katakana To-ra-n-ku-su. Just because they pronounce it differently they mean Trunks nonetheless. We can most of the time see what is supposed to be pronounced and what is meant and how it is pronounced if we pay attention and so Trunks and all that stuff is right. Often in Japanese magazines or game manuals you can actually see which name is meant as it is written down without katakana/hiragana/kanji as well.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:43 am

I dont get you. Thats more my fault than yours but I would love for you to elaborate some more.

Are you saying its good or bad? Right or Wrong? What do you mean by that?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:00 am

Well, I definitely agree with you on this. It doesn't really make sense to exaggerate the spelling of the words to suit Japanese pronunciation anymore then it would for any other language.

A "B' could also be a "V" in Japanese. In English, that confusion, doesn't exist, so we know the intended spelling is Vegeta, since it reflects the pun. That being said, it's easy to make mistakes where a pun isn't apparent or doesn't exist. The character Marth from Fire Emblem (known stateside for his Smash appearances) was actually originally romanized as Mars in an obscure OVA pre-Melee.

This uncertainty is one of the reasons I prefer simply using the official English names.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:11 am

I just use the Simmons' translated names and stick to those, the rest either feel too weaboo (Torankusu? come on) or cheesy corny crap (FUNimation dubnames).
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:29 am

Valerius Dover wrote:The character Marth from Fire Emblem (known stateside for his Smash appearances) was actually originally romanized as Mars in an obscure OVA pre-Melee.
It was originally romanized as "Marth" in the original Famicom game.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm

Adamant wrote:
Valerius Dover wrote:The character Marth from Fire Emblem (known stateside for his Smash appearances) was actually originally romanized as Mars in an obscure OVA pre-Melee.
It was originally romanized as "Marth" in the original Famicom game.
Ah, my mistake. Didn't realize the Japanese versions had English text.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:25 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:I just use the Simmons' translated names and stick to those, the rest either feel too weaboo (Torankusu? come on) or cheesy corny crap (FUNimation dubnames).
"Weaboo?" Really, man?

On topic, I mean, I used "Birisu" for a while, back before we had an English version of his name. If someone wants to use the Romaji spellings, I don't see why they can't. It's the most literal, direct translation you can get. I don't use them myself, but I'm not gonna stand on some pedestal and decree that it's "wrong."
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:37 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:On topic, I mean, I used "Birisu" for a while, back before we had an English version of his name. If someone wants to use the Romaji spellings, I don't see why they can't. It's the most literal, direct translation you can get. I don't use them myself, but I'm not gonna stand on some pedestal and decree that it's "wrong."
I'm not sure about that... For example, using "Seru" instead of "Cell" is basically using a foreign pronunciation in your own language. The character's name is based on the english word "cell". It makes zero sense for a english speaking user to use Seru instead of Cell. So, I don't think anyone has to be on a pedestal to claim that the use of Seru in this case is pretty much wrong.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:40 pm

rereboy wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:On topic, I mean, I used "Birisu" for a while, back before we had an English version of his name. If someone wants to use the Romaji spellings, I don't see why they can't. It's the most literal, direct translation you can get. I don't use them myself, but I'm not gonna stand on some pedestal and decree that it's "wrong."
I'm not sure about that... For example, using "Seru" instead of "Cell" is basically using a foreign pronunciation in your own language. The character's name is based on the english word "cell". It makes zero sense for a english speaking user to use Seru instead of Cell. So, I don't think anyone has to be on a pedestal to claim that the use of Seru in this case is pretty much wrong.
It's odd. That doesn't make it "wrong."

I'll grant that Cell/Seru is an odd case, since it's not really a pun so much as the direct usage of a foreign word. But this doesn't apply to Vegeta/Bejita, Bulma/Blooma/Buruma (although that one is a can of worms all on it's own.) or others that are just based off certain words. Trunks/Toranksu would be a similar case, IMO. But that doesn't mean it's "wrong" to use them.
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:47 pm

It isnt "Right" either. Sure,its not wrong, but you are not being true to the original. You are just using what you like best.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:50 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:It isnt "Right" either. Sure,its not wrong, but you are not being true to the original. You are just using what you like best.
Could not the same be said of "Vegeta" or "Bulma?" It's a matter of preference, which is what I've been saying from the beginning.

And that brings up a whole other issue, on whether direct translation is more or less important than sticking to the "meaning" of the text, on whether exact romanization of the name is preferable to preserving the pun, and these are translation dilemmas that have been present forever, and aren't going to be settled in this thread.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:02 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote: It's odd. That doesn't make it "wrong."

I'll grant that Cell/Seru is an odd case, since it's not really a pun so much as the direct usage of a foreign word. But this doesn't apply to Vegeta/Bejita, Bulma/Blooma/Buruma (although that one is a can of worms all on it's own.) or others that are just based off certain words. Trunks/Toranksu would be a similar case, IMO. But that doesn't mean it's "wrong" to use them.
Its not wrong as in factually wrong, as in "I can demonstrate mathematically that your conclusion is wrong". However, it makes so little sense that I fail to see why someone can't make an argument of it being wrong using reason and logic, let alone having to be on a pedestal to do it.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:04 pm

rereboy wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote: It's odd. That doesn't make it "wrong."

Its not wrong as in factually wrong, as in "I can demonstrate mathematically that your conclusion is wrong". However, it makes so little sense that I fail to see why someone can't make an argument of it being wrong using reason and logic, let alone having to be on a pedestal to do it.
In this context, "making sense" is subjective. Some people prefer to stick as close to the original pronunciation as possible. I don't see why we should berate them for that. There's nothing wrong with it, so whatevs.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:06 pm

Bulma I get, I even said it on the first post. Because Toriyama has never come out with ONE true spelling. Vegeta isnt a case of that at all. The whole point was meant to evoke vegetables. , Bejita doesnt really seem to come from the word vegetable, Vegeta does. Toriyama said so. You arent being more true to the original.

Also....

You were the reason behind this topic Kamiccolo. Because I got a warning for "Mocking someone for being true to the original". First and foremost, Mocking is never justified so you guys were right in warning me. That much is good. However, the second part? Not so much. I didnt mock the Poster as much as the fact that despite liking the Japanese version to the point of using rough romanizations, he still seems to abide by Funimation's version. THAT was what I "Mocked", and I didnt even mock I just pointed out the hypocrisy.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:11 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Bulma I get, I even said it on the first post. Because Toriyama has never come out with ONE true spelling. Vegeta isnt a case of that at all. The whole point was meant to evoke vegetables. , Bejita doesnt really seem to come from the word vegetable, Vegeta does. Toriyama said so. You arent being more true to the original.

Also....

You were the reason behind this topic Kamiccolo. Because I got a warning for "Mocking someone for being true to the original". First and foremost, Mocking is never justified so you guys were right in warning me. That much is good. However, the second part? Not so much. I didnt mock the Poster as much as the fact that despite liking the Japanese version to the point of using rough romanizations, he still seems to abide by Funimation's version. THAT was what I "Mocked", and I didnt even mock I just pointed out the hypocrisy.
You do realize that I don't hand out warnings, right? If you got one, that means you were reported, a mod or admin judged that you deserved one, and they gave you one. I have nothing to do with that process.

On-topic, it's up to whoever's using the name to decide whether strict translational accuracy is more or less important than preserving the pun. That's it. No one gets to make that decision for someone else, and no one is "right" or "wrong" for choosing whichever side.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:14 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote: Could not the same be said of "Vegeta" or "Bulma?" It's a matter of preference, which is what I've been saying from the beginning.

And that brings up a whole other issue, on whether direct translation is more or less important than sticking to the "meaning" of the text, on whether exact romanization of the name is preferable to preserving the pun, and these are translation dilemmas that have been present forever, and aren't going to be settled in this thread.
Obviously using "Beijita" instead of Vegeta makes as little sense as "Seru" for Cell.

Not really. This isn't really an issue of direct translation versus meaning, imo. The only reason for why the Japanese cay Seru instead of Cell or Beijita instead of Vegeta, is simply because they are taking a foreign english word ("cell" and a adaptation of "vegetable") and they are basically using a different pronunciation that a english user would use.

I can give you a similar concrete historical example. For example, in the USA, they named the famous portuguese explorer Fernão de Magalhães as "Ferdinand Magellan". Probably because its easier to pronounce that way. I'm portuguese so, why should I call him "Ferdinand Magellan" instead of Fernão de Magalhães? What possible sense could there be in me, a portuguese user, in using a foreign pronunciation of his name, instead of his original portuguese name? Using Bejita instead of Vegeta or Seru instead of Cell is similar to that.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:22 pm

rereboy wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote: Could not the same be said of "Vegeta" or "Bulma?" It's a matter of preference, which is what I've been saying from the beginning.

Obviously using "Beijita" instead of Vegeta makes as little sense as "Seru" for Cell.

Not really. This isn't really an issue of direct translation versus meaning, imo. The only reason for why the Japanese cay Seru instead of Cell or Beijita instead of Vegeta, is simply because they are taking a foreign english word ("cell" and a adaptation of "vegetable") and they are basically using a different pronunciation that a english user would use.

I can give you a similar concrete historical example. For example, in the USA, they named the famous portuguese explorer Fernão de Magalhães as "Ferdinand Magellan". Probably because its easier to pronounce that way. I'm portuguese so, why should I call him "Ferdinand Magellan" instead of Fernão de Magalhães? What possible sense could there be in me, a portuguese user, in using a foreign pronunciation of his name, instead of his original portuguese name? Using Bejita instead of Vegeta or Seru instead of Cell is similar to that.
Like I said, it's personal preference. If someone wants to use the romanization of the Japanese names, it's not "wrong" for them to do so. It may not make sense to you, but you are not the one who is deciding to do it. Maybe they like the romanized pronouciations better? Maybe they feel that a direct transliteration is more accurate to the original? Especially when official translations give us names like "Hercule," "Tien," "Vegerot," and "Sangoku," what's wrong with sticking to a more or less consistent method of naming the characters that is just a literal, direct translation of the original names?

Like I've said repeatedly, I don't do it myself, but I'm not going to berate anyone else for doing so, nor will I approve of anyone else doing so, which is why I'm bothering to respond to this in the first place. No one is doing anything wrong here; your's, or anyone elses personal feelings in the matter, shouldn't have any bearing on whether it's "right" or not.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:27 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote: In this context, "making sense" is subjective. Some people prefer to stick as close to the original pronunciation as possible. I don't see why we should berate them for that. There's nothing wrong with it, so whatevs.
There's nothing factually wrong about a lot of things since most things have a varying degree of subjectivity. However, I still fail to see why someone can't, using logic and reason, present arguments regarding a certain way of doing things being incorrect/wrong, without it implying that that person is on a pedestal.

Just because something has a degree of subjectivity to it, it doesn't mean that what one person says about it can't be contested by another using valid arguments.

Something different from that is someone being a "dick" about it. But merely arguing that its incorrect/wrong while providing logical and logical arguments is not being a "dick".

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:31 pm

rereboy wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote: In this context, "making sense" is subjective. Some people prefer to stick as close to the original pronunciation as possible. I don't see why we should berate them for that. There's nothing wrong with it, so whatevs.
There's nothing factually wrong about a lot of things since most things have a varying degree of subjectivity. However, I still fail to see why someone can't, using logic and reason, present arguments regarding a certain way of doing things being incorrect/wrong, without it implying that that person is on a pedestal.

Just because something has a degree of subjectivity to it, it doesn't mean that what one person says about it can't be contested by another using valid arguments.

Something different from that is someone being a "dick" about it. But merely arguing that its incorrect/wrong while providing logical and logical arguments is not being a "dick".
I presented arguments, as seen in my previous post. Stupid dub names, inconsistent translations, a preference for the names' original pronunciation, and, sure, if you want to include this, a preference for Japanese way of doing thing in general, or "Weaboos," as dbboxkaifan felt it necessary to put out.

Honestly, this should have ended with, "some people like to stick with the original pronunciation of the name, and there's nothing wrong with that." I don't see what the point of this thread is, other than Cure Dragon looking for validation for his mocking someone for using "Bejita."
Malik_DBNA wrote: