Pre-Z Dragonball Kai

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Pre-Z Dragonball Kai

Post by SaiyamanMS » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:53 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:Ok, I guess I was wrong about that. But still, what is it about the first series that somehow makes it unfit for airwaves?
Standards change over time, especially over 20 years. Also, Kai has a totally different time slot than Z did, Z airing on Wednesday nights and Kai on Sunday mornings.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:25 pm

Yes, but there isn't really anything of value that would have to be removed. Just erasing Goku and Krillin's weewees.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:35 pm

Do I see it happening? No, not at all.

Do I want it to happen? Seeing as how bad the Boo arc is being done, no.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:57 pm

Doctor. wrote:Do I see it happening? No, not at all.

Do I want it to happen? Seeing as how bad the Boo arc is being done, no.
Well didn't the buu arc have a cheap production budget to begin with?
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:18 am

B wrote:The first 153 episodes are nearly perfect in execution.
"I need to get closer to use the Mafuba!"

*hammer-walks ten feet*

"Gah, not close enough! I can't use the mafuba from here!!"

*hammer-walks another ten feet"

*long shot shows he hasn't moved at all*

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:38 am

The original Dragon Ball could definitely use improvement. It's never abysmal to the degree Dragon Ball Z was, and the filler/padding material was generally better than what we had later in Z. But let's compare it to some other Shonen Jump anime adaptations:

Dragon Ball: Episode 148 = Chapter 194
One Piece: Episode 130 = Chapter 218
Naruto: Episode 135 = Chapter 238
Hunter x Hunter: Episode 148 = Chapter 339

... Although honestly, speaking of One Piece these days, the anime is even more abysmally paced than Dragon Ball Z. The Marineford War was painful with all Buggy's crap and I gave up on the anime altogether after the timeskip.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:59 am

Comparing the DB anime to the 2011 Hunter x Hunter anime isn't really fair, since when that version started they had 300+ chapters and an acceptable ending point pre-prepared for them. For all intents and purposes it was like they were adapting an already completed work, as opposed to an ongoing one like all the other examples.

I'd also argue that modern One Piece's one-chapter-per-episode pacing is better than the last few years of Naruto Shippuden have been (with them inserting long blocks of filler episodes during/immediately after climactic moments), but that's another discussion entirely.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:39 pm

I am many years behind on Naruto, so I can't comment on the current state of Shippuden (although with the manga ending recently I have started an effort to catch up by watching the anime again from the start, I'm currently on the Gaara Rescue arc), but I feel that large chunks of filler are only an issue when following the broadcast from week to week as once the material is complete there's always an option of simply skipping the filler, which isn't an option with incredibly slow paced canon material.

And yes, I'll admit comparing to Hunter x Hunter is hardly fair, but still a worthwhile comparison of how things can be paced when the issue of catching up to serialization is irrelevant.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:21 am

I basically already answered this in another thread but I'd really like an original Dragon Ball Kai. I went through it all recently and while I did enjoy the two biggest let downs were that boring and repetitive score and the god awful filler which there was a huge amount of.

A 70 or so episode show with no filler, a more modern and better score, in better resolution and with new dubbing would be great. I wouldn't want anyone but Nadolny voicing Goku though.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:06 pm

I don't think the original series is popular enough to warrant a refreshing.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:52 pm

Honestly, with how abyssal Kai has been going lately, and with how (apparently) terrible Sailor Moon Crystal is, I'd rather they just leave it alone.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog