Who here has actually seen Dr. Slump? Is it worth watching?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PhoenixEX
Regular

Who here has actually seen Dr. Slump? Is it worth watching?

Post by PhoenixEX » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:50 am

I'm reading that apparently Dragon Ball is the spiritual sequel/successor to Dr. Slump? I always just thought it was another series that Akira Toriyama created. But, now I get the references between both shows.
So who here has actually seen the show? Is it worth watching?
One World. 🌐 🕊

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Who here has actually seen Dr. Slump? Is it worth watchi

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:53 am

I don't know about watching it, mainly because it's never really been released here in the US (outside Discotek's DVD of the first few movies). Definitely worth a read for sure though.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:30 am

I've watched a couple episodes here and there and enjoyed it. I've only read the 1st manga and enjoyed it as well. I still need to read volume 2 considering I've had it forever now and I have Jaco coming in the mail. lol
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:05 pm

I haven't seen the anime, but I have read all of the manga. If you're a Toriyama fan, then you'll enjoy it. You'll also be much more forgiving of how heavy on the gags his post-DB manga is (like Neko Majin Z, the Jump Special and Battle of Gods) because you'll see he's actually returning to his roots.

HOWEVER, if you don't like the gag factor, then you will despise Dr Slump. After Wonder Island (which is only two chapters anyway), Dr Slump is easily the most zany of his works, especially at the beginning. In fact, pretty much everything Toriyama has done has been gag-manga, but the ones without martial arts action as a focus (like the Dr Slump series) are even more out there.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:48 pm

The Dr. Slump anime suffers quite a bit from the fact that it's trying to adapt jokes very much written with comedic timing intended for a comic book rather than a cartoon. Different jokes work for different media.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:48 pm

Semi-related: I assume the Dr. Slump The Movies DVD didn't sell all that well, given how there haven't been any more releases since then?
Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on June 9th, 2022

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:57 pm

I have it in my list. But the right time still didn't came.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:00 pm

I watched the first episode of the first TV series. Utsumi Kenji had me rolling on the ground.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:11 pm

I second the notion that Battle of Gods makes a lot more sense tonally if you've read Dr. Slump. Same reason I'm not upset about (what little I know) about Fukkatsu no F.
I've read the manga (though it's been a while), seen the movies, but only watched a handful of episodes though.

One of the best things about Dr. Slump, imo, is Toriyama's participation in it. He appears often enough in his own series where he qualifies as a character; a character none of the main cast trusts. XD
Torishima also appears often (outside of Dr. Mashirito--who's a separate character the way Senbei's a separate character from Toriyama) along with Toriyama's assistant who calls Toriyama out on story-related stuff.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:17 pm

How could they trust Toriyama, he won the race, that he created, that no one knew he was part of? :lol:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:31 pm

The manga and the 80's anime is pretty funny. The 80's anime has HK subs that you can find out there and some of them can be iffy.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:32 pm

Dogasu wrote:Semi-related: I assume the Dr. Slump The Movies DVD didn't sell all that well, given how there haven't been any more releases since then?
Not necessarily. Discotek is a pretty small company (though growing by leaps and bounds), so it could just mean that there's a lot on their plate. If we actually get to a full year since that set's release without hearing anything else on it, then I'd start to worry a little more.

I can't vouch for the Slump anime as I've only seen the movies (and only read the first three manga volumes too), but I've loved every bit of it that I have seen/read, so...Well, let's put it this way. If you love some of the zanier aspects of Dragon Ball, especially the early stuff, and think you could handle it going even more bizarre - Dr. Slump is probably gonna be right up your alley. If you don't really care about that stuff though, and only care for the more serious stuff that followed as DB went along...then it's probably not gonna be your cup of tea.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:55 pm

I hope Discotek will release the 80's TV show on DVD. The late 90's show on DVD would be cool as well. I would imagine the episodes of Goku in the 1999 show will likely be cut out on any possible DVD Discotek release due to license issues.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:15 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I would imagine the episodes of Goku in the 1999 show will likely be cut out on any possible DVD Discotek release due to license issues.
Why would they be? It's not like Funi had to cut the Penguin Village episodes of Dragon Ball. (Also, the 90s version of the show started in '97, the week after Dragon Ball GT ended, it did end in '99 though.)

Friezacooler
Regular

Post by Friezacooler » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:35 pm

Anime can't remember much about it but ain't complaining about it either, but reading it was complete different level of masterpiecee 8)

garnetjester
Beyond Newbie

Post by garnetjester » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:55 pm

The anime is very old-school, but I loved it anyway. I like the manga more, but it's purely a gag manga. Don't expect anything even remotely serious here, and especially, don't expect any consistency here in the story or the characters or anything at all, in fact, characters often call out Toriyama for his lazy storytelling and plot devices in the manga. I love gag manga, so Dr. Slump is one of my favorite Toriyama works. It's also because Arale is such a great character, really.
"Giving up is something we can do anytime, so let's head on, even if it's just a little bit!"

dougo13
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dougo13 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:42 am

It would be hard to market the old TV series I think in the US because of the toilet humor and sexism which dates it somewhat. I'm sure Toei has looked at this before. I'm not familiar with the later series so I don't know if they could market it or even if it's been tried. Problematic because of the rules for kids TV these days I imagine...

dougo13
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dougo13 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:46 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I hope Discotek will release the 80's TV show on DVD. The late 90's show on DVD would be cool as well. I would imagine the episodes of Goku in the 1999 show will likely be cut out on any possible DVD Discotek release due to license issues.
I was also waiting to see if Mizuki's series GeGeGe no Kitaro was going to get a proper release as it was mentioned at least a year ago. I did enjoy Slump from the 1980s and continue to do so. It's pretty funny. But it's subject matter may be too much for TV transmission. A DVD/Blu Ray release would be the best but how many copies can they reasonably expect to sell? A big question with no answer...

dougo13
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dougo13 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:30 pm

Chuquita wrote:I second the notion that Battle of Gods makes a lot more sense tonally if you've read Dr. Slump. Same reason I'm not upset about (what little I know) about Fukkatsu no F.
I've read the manga (though it's been a while), seen the movies, but only watched a handful of episodes though.

One of the best things about Dr. Slump, imo, is Toriyama's participation in it. He appears often enough in his own series where he qualifies as a character; a character none of the main cast trusts. XD
Torishima also appears often (outside of Dr. Mashirito--who's a separate character the way Senbei's a separate character from Toriyama) along with Toriyama's assistant who calls Toriyama out on story-related stuff.
I'll have to see if I can find the "We'll Answer All Your Questions" episode. That was pretty funny since Toriyama appears as his alter ego the drawing robot and tries to answer questions posed by the fans who have written in as well as from the characters he has created. Very funny!

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:00 pm

I've actually never seen Dr. Slump... kind of always wanted to out of curiosity. I wonder if they'll ever dub it in English. I see how difficult to market it probably would be, but it IS a work of Akira Toriyama.