Buu-Kai Arc soundtrack and "Let it burn"

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Re: Buu-Kai Arc soundtrack and "Let it burn"

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:18 pm

Yes, guys, there will surely be a volume two: half of the tracks are missing, really HALF, and some of the best ones that are highly requested (Videl leaving Gohan, Vegeta's sacrifice, Gohan lying "dead" at the Tenkaichi Budokai, Goku's return in the Other World, the Japanese recap music, Boo's extinction of humanity, etc...)
And the events stop at Gotenks' fusion, which was not long before the release date of this soundtrack.
The cover also clearly shows the beginning of the saga with Gohan, Goten and Trunks training while Goku appears as a big background as if not there yet.
So all signs point at a volume 2 unless it gets cancelled, probably as soon as France finishes airing the rest of the series (volume 1 being logically released shortly after the airing of Gotenks' fusion, theme of the last track).

About the titles, they could be the titles given originally by Sumitomo (except maybe the typo, but who knows?), because the one placing music didn't necessarily respect which track he made for which character/event.
For exemple, the tracks for Gotenks' fusion succeeding was not the same at all in the episode, but on the soundtrack, the way it's composed seems to fit: grand orchestral entrance for when he would appear, suddenly followed by a more relaxed happy "we made it" music.
The Majin Boo theme here also seems valid and more mature than the one in the show while still fitting with Boo's nature and personnality, but was used way before in the show as "just another track" unrelated to Majin Boo, who got another track as his theme instead.

So I think the titles could actually be the events or themes Sumitomo was given to compose on, with the much-appreciated "apocalyptic track" being the one he originally composed for the Super Saiyan 3.
The titles being in English would fit with the fact that this was initially meant for the international market only, so Sumitomo might have named them in English directly (with simple titles because it's not his natural language so he'd keep it simple) or maybe he was told to name them in English without having a choice, or even given the titles as-is with "compose for this character/event" instructions.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:44 pm

Cold Skin wrote:Yes, guys, there will surely be a volume two: half of the tracks are missing, really HALF, and some of the best ones that are highly requested (Videl leaving Gohan, Vegeta's sacrifice, Gohan lying "dead" at the Tenkaichi Budokai, Goku's return in the Other World, the Japanese recap music, Boo's extinction of humanity, etc...)
And the events stop at Gotenks' fusion, which was not long before the release date of this soundtrack.
The cover also clearly shows the beginning of the saga with Gohan, Goten and Trunks training while Goku appears as a big background as if not there yet.
So all signs point at a volume 2 unless it gets cancelled, probably as soon as France finishes airing the rest of the series (volume 1 being logically released shortly after the airing of Gotenks' fusion, theme of the last track).

About the titles, they could be the titles given originally by Sumitomo (except maybe the typo, but who knows?), because the one placing music didn't necessarily respect which track he made for which character/event.
For exemple, the tracks for Gotenks' fusion succeeding was not the same at all in the episode, but on the soundtrack, the way it's composed seems to fit: grand orchestral entrance for when he would appear, suddenly followed by a more relaxed happy "we made it" music.
The Majin Boo theme here also seems valid and more mature than the one in the show while still fitting with Boo's nature and personnality, but was used way before in the show as "just another track" unrelated to Majin Boo, who got another track as his theme instead.

So I think the titles could actually be the events or themes Sumitomo was given to compose on, with the much-appreciated "apocalyptic track" being the one he originally composed for the Super Saiyan 3.
The titles being in English would fit with the fact that this was initially meant for the international market only, so Sumitomo might have named them in English directly (with simple titles because it's not his natural language so he'd keep it simple) or maybe he was told to name them in English without having a choice, or even given the titles as-is with "compose for this character/event" instructions.
That is some very well thought out thinking
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:11 pm

I can bet anything you want that the unused track named Mr. Satan will be used when he announces to the Earthlings that the world has been saved.
It's as easy to guess as the fact that Let It Burn is meant for the Genki Dama against Boo (which could actually last 5 minutes on screen, leaving time for the entire song to play on the background while the events unfold, but that's a much wilder guess).

It is also possible that full versions of Fight It Out!! and Never Give Up!!! do exist: if there is indeed a volume 2 (and it seems likely), then we can hardly imagine it will open and close on a random track, and there are no more additionnal songs to be used. So volume 2 would open and close on the full versions.
And what better tease than that? "For now, we give you the TV edits you already knew. For the exclusive, never-heard-before full versions, buy the remaining volume after the show has ended on TV".

And about the link between soundtrack titles and music placements, that implies that the updated Japanese version might have restored some of Sumitomo's original intents.
For exemple, in the original international version, Goku announces his return with the much-hated track Efficient Attack.
But on the Japanese version, the music for the first moment we see Goku was changed to the one coincidentally named Goku, which could have been composed for Goku's announcement (and/or for Goku's actual return, who knows?)
Last edited by Cold Skin on Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:18 pm

Cold Skin wrote:I can bet anything you want that the unused track named Mr. Satan will be used when he announces to the Earthlings that the world has been saved.
It's as easy to guess as the fact that Let It Burn is meant for the Genki Dama against Boo (which could actually last 5 minutes on screen, leaving time for the entire song to play on the background while the events unfold, but that's a much wilder guess).

It is also possible that full versions of Fight It Out!! and Never Give Up!!! do exist: if there is indeed a volume 2 (and it seems likely), then we can hardly imagine it will open and close on a random track, and there are no more additionnal songs to be used. So volume 2 would open and close on the full versions.
And what better tease than that? "For now, we give you the TV edits you already knew. For the exclusive, never-heard-before full versions, buy the remaining volume after the show has ended on TV".
Dude you are getting me so pumped! :D :lol:
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:50 pm

So my assumptions were right after all. I always had a feeling Let It Burn would be a insert song. It just seemed strange to me that Toei would really record another 1 minute song and create animation for it. However, I did not expect for them to record a full 5 minute song as I expected just a minute and a half track since they also did that with Fight It Out and Never Give Up as far as we know. But I guess they made a insert song with the mindset that they would be able to sell it, wether that would be in Japan (chances are probably 0) or in a foreign country (which indeed happened). I have a feeling Let It Burn is going to play during the SSJ3 Goku vs Kid Buu fight. It's a shame that we won't get to see the fight with this awesome song playing in the background in the Japanese edit.

Oh well, I hope a volume 2 gets released soon. I also hope we will get the opening title card theme, the Fight It Out recap theme, episode title card, eyecatchers, and next-episode preview themes. I guess we can expect a release after Kai has finished airing.

Just something that popped in my mind: If France and maybe other countries, are able to sell the soundtrack, what do you all think of a cd single?? With a full Fight It Out song, and Never Give Up (if they are available of course) and maybe karaoke versions of those songs. I'm probably going too much into it as even I think that there is almost zero chance of this happening, but then again I also thought there was zero chance of a official DB soundtrack being released outside of Japan. And yet it happened, and it was released even before Japan released it.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:26 pm

So, I guess I was wrong. Let It Burn really is an Insert Song. I've listened to it now, and it sounds EPIC. Perfect for a final battle. I wonder what'll be in its place in the Fuji TV edit?

Anyway, I listened to a few of the more well known tracks from the score (not having seen Kai yet) and I've already picked out a few I like. Vide's theme and its faster variation are pretty nice. Super Saiyan 3 is pretty epic. And dare I say, I actually like the synth tone overall. That being said, I have no idea where things are going to go from here. I'm giving up when it comes to making predictions. All bets are off. Pigs could fly. :crazy:
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:41 pm

Well, it's a nice point: we don't have the Fight It Out!! recap instrumental nor the Never Give Up!!! preview instrumental for now.
So I thought it would be predictable that full versions of the song would open and close volume 2, but I could be wrong: it's possible that volume 2 will begin with Fight It Out!! as the recap instrumental and end with Never Give Up!!! as the next episode preview instrumental.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:00 pm

Having had time to sit with "Let It Burn," I've officially decided that Masatoshi Ono scored another point with me. Engrish lyrics aside, this is one of the better "final battle" songs I've heard in an anime. Here's hoping that is what it's used for.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

SuperSaiyanHedgehog
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanHedgehog » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:12 pm

See, this is why I need to get online more often. I turn my head for a week, then come back to discover that the soundtrack I've been waiting for a release of is available to purchase! Judging from the samples, there are some tracks on this album I've been waiting to put on my MP3 player.

Is there any way to buy the album? I know it's on YouTube, but I'd prefer to have it in good quality, straight from the official download.
Known as Hiltonium everywhere else.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Dragon Ball Z Kai: Yamamoto Revival (Now Completed!)
----------------------------------------------------------------
YouTube//Twitter//Ask.fm//PSN: Hiltonium//Nintendo Network: BoomBomb712//3DS Friend Code: 3652-0542-0595//Skype: PM me if you're interested

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:36 pm

^ It's on Amazon and iTunes, but some people talked about it being region-locked to France only.
I don't know if I understood correctly though.

So it should appear on iTunes if you search for "final chapters" but I'm not sure it will appear for you.

SuperSaiyanHedgehog
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanHedgehog » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:14 pm

Cold Skin wrote:^ It's on Amazon and iTunes, but some people talked about it being region-locked to France only.
I don't know if I understood correctly though.

So it should appear on iTunes if you search for "final chapters" but I'm not sure it will appear for you.
Yeah, I tried. All of the links are region-locked.
YouTube//Twitter//Ask.fm//PSN: Hiltonium//Nintendo Network: BoomBomb712//3DS Friend Code: 3652-0542-0595//Skype: PM me if you're interested

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:33 am

I live in Japan and could buy the soundtrack on iTunes.

1) Open iTunes store on iTunes
2) Scroll down and click the national flag icon to switch the region
3) Download some free app and create a French account with a random address in France
4) Buy a code of French iTunes gift card
5) Search "Norihito Sumitomo" and buy it

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:49 pm

kei17 wrote:3) Download some free app and create a French account with a random address in France
That's the part I'm having trouble with. Is there a particular app you'd recommend?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:29 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
kei17 wrote:3) Download some free app and create a French account with a random address in France
That's the part I'm having trouble with. Is there a particular app you'd recommend?
Any free apps. If you try to create an account by clicking a priced app or music album, you have to choose a payment method with a legit address. Click some free app so you can skip payment option and use some random address.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:58 pm

Question: are the Japanese singles for the various openings/endings also region-locked, or do they make them available worldwide?

SuperSaiyanHedgehog
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanHedgehog » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:07 pm

Cold Skin wrote:Question: are the Japanese singles for the various openings/endings also region-locked, or do they make them available worldwide?
The only one available internationally (or, at least, in the US) is Kyuso Nekokami's "Galaxy."
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/galax ... =947228272

EDIT: Scratch that, "Junjou" is also available.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/junjo ... =898123168

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:23 pm

SuperSaiyanHedgehog wrote:
Cold Skin wrote:Question: are the Japanese singles for the various openings/endings also region-locked, or do they make them available worldwide?
The only one available internationally (or, at least, in the US) is Kyuso Nekokami's "Galaxy."
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/galax ... =947228272

EDIT: Scratch that, "Junjou" is also available.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/junjo ... =898123168
Well, that's not totally true. I mean, don't get me wrong, anime soundtracks are very rare in the US iTunes store, but you'd be surprised what pops up here and there. I'll name a few things I got from the US iTunes store off the top of my head:

-Several singles from Saint Seiya Omega
-Several singles from Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas
-The Japanese(!) versions of "Cha-La Head Cha-La" and "Hero" by Flow
-The opening of Hunter X Hunter ("departure!"), by Masatoshi Ono
-And--something I just discovered myself--the entire soundtrack, BGM included, of Cowboy Bebop!

...'Ya know what, I just typed in "Anime" in the search bar, and I'm very surprised at all that's available. Way more than what I just listed here, although still not enough for the US iTunes store to be called a "great source" for anime music.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:53 pm

It occurred to be that Let it Burn might play during Vegeta's speech...which would be pretty out of place, but it isn't like Dragon Ball Kai has not had unsound judgment before...
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:20 pm

^ Yeah, I guess the "music placer" could do that: it's the actual start of the final battle and Vegeta's speech while the two are shown battling can be long enough to have a good chunk of the song playing in the background, like 2-3 minutes or so.

But - even though Engrish is even harder to understand for a foreigner -, doesn't the song say "we need your energy" repeatedly, which would REALLY point to it being for the Genki Dama?
But anyway, it's been shown with the soundtrack that the "music placer" doesn't necessarily care what the track was initially made for...

goku262002

Post by goku262002 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:40 am

So its not just me then, this OST does sound very slow and forgetful nothing pops out compared to Yamamoto's stuff which is quite sad, I was expecting more out of this new composer of DBZ related works. he is the same dude who does the movie's scores correct? guess I should look into Movie 14's soundtrack to get a better idea.

Question: Why does Shenron's track sound like something out of Naruto and reality TV shows? same backing track or something?