Buu-Kai Arc soundtrack and "Let it burn"

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Re: Buu-Kai Arc soundtrack and "Let it burn"

Post by MagicBox » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:50 pm

Well, that's... exciting?

I'll probably hold out and see if we ever get a physical Japanese release with the actual music titles. But even then, I'm really not all that anxious. I listened to every single sample and I still don't like any of it. :|

Looks like this is going to be the only option for people who like the Engrish songs, so go for it if you want!

Looking forward to the episode where Gohan fights Trunks after Buu's defeat!
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:37 pm

Wow, Let It Burn is so 1980s power metal. :lol:
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:12 am

And here I was hoping there was going to be a longer version of "Never Give Up". :(

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:53 am

Codarik wrote:And here I was hoping there was going to be a longer version of "Never Give Up". :(
You know toei no since in them making a full version of a song they won't sell
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:47 am

I'm going to share the full album on YouTube, so check out this playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... WnbQSOaX3q (It could be long, I'm at work right now, so... :lol: )
kei17 wrote: Also, the name of track 14 "Gohan Vs Trunks" is obviously a typo. Everything about this is just unbelievably sloppy.
Yeah, can't agree more ! Are they stupid or something ? And about the so-called "Piccolo Theme", I'm sorry but "The Clash - Goku VS Vegeta" would fit more !
The guy in charge of the track titles obviously didn't watch the show.
Last edited by ShinGaijin on Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:56 am

ShinGaijin wrote:I'm going to share the full album on YouTube, so check out this playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... WnbQSOaX3q (It could be long, I'm at work right now, so... :lol: )
Thank you!
PSN SonGoku325

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:57 pm

Hmmm....so, this is "Let It Burn"....

I'll need to sit with a bit, but my immediate thoughts:

CONS:
-Engrish lyrics. I know English is a tough language, but it just sounds too silly...if I can't understand the lyrics anyway, they might as well be in Japanese.
-It sounds just a little too slow-paced.

PROS:
-It has a very dark, almost apocalyptic feel to it, and would be a great song for the final battle.
-I'm really liking Masatoshi Ono's singing (whose name I didn't have to look up because he has consistently impressed me) over Takayoshi Tanimoto's (whose name I did have to look up because, while his singing isn't bad by any means, it hasn't made much of an impression on me).
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:00 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Hmmm....so, this is "Let It Burn"....

I'll need to sit with a bit, but my immediate thoughts:

CONS:
-Engrish lyrics. I know English is a tough language, but it just sounds too silly...if I can't understand the lyrics anyway, they might as well be in Japanese.
-It sounds just a little too slow-paced.

PROS:
-It has a very dark, almost apocalyptic feel to it, and would be a great song for the final battle.
-I'm really liking Masatoshi Ono's singing (whose name I didn't have to look up because he has consistently impressed me) over Takayoshi Tanimoto's (whose name I did have to look up because, while his singing isn't bad by any means, it hasn't made much of an impression on me).
What are your thoughts on fight it out?
PSN SonGoku325

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:33 pm

Naruto6583 wrote:What are your thoughts on fight it out?
I freaking LOVE that song! Love it, love it, love it!

I don't hate "Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go," but I feel it sounded a little too much like a modern J-pop song, and not so much a Dragon Ball song. I know that some people like that, arguing that Kai is a modern series and, therefore, should have modern music. However, since the day it was announced, I've never, ever been able to think of Kai as a modern series. From day 1, I always saw it for what it was...an excuse for Toei to put an old hit back on the air in the hopes of attracting some quick cash. Apart from the Music Scandal, which shocked even me, none of the sub-standard elements people have been noting about Kai's production have surprised me. So, I'm of the belief that since Kai is basically an excuse to re-release an old hit, that even if they're doing new music, the new music might as well resemble the source material in spirit...

...And that is where "Fight It Out" shines. It absolutely has the upbeat, somewhat silly, but extremely passionate feel that "Cha-La Head Cha-La" and "We Gotta Power" had. Hironobu Kageyama is, and likely always will be, my favorite singer of all Dragon Ball-related material. However, I feel that Masatoshi Ono has consistently captured his spirit. He really sounds like he's into what he's singing, and having a blast with it. With Tanimoto, I hear a singer who is competent and hitting all the right notes, but not really that enthused about what he's singing. After KZZG was done playing, I nodded and said approvingly, "Yeah, that'll work." After FIO was done playing, I was smiling and said, "Holy crap, that was awesome!"

The only downside to that song was--again--the Engrish lyrics. I think it should have been sung in Japanese and, if it was so important to Toei that an English version exist, let it get an English dub for whenever FUNimation gets around to releasing The Final Chapters.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:43 pm

Think about it like this that song was made by Columbia to milk the franchise so of course its gonna be a modern song
PSN SonGoku325

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:47 pm

Naruto6583 wrote:Think about it like this that song was made by Columbia to milk the franchise so of course its gonna be a modern song
Oh, definitely, like I said, I thought of Kai as a franchise-milking effort since the day it was announced. It doesn't surprise me, but I'd prefer something that resembles the original show since all Kai is is a re-release of the original show.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:54 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Naruto6583 wrote:Think about it like this that song was made by Columbia to milk the franchise so of course its gonna be a modern song
Oh, definitely, like I said, I thought of Kai as a franchise-milking effort since the day it was announced. It doesn't surprise me, but I'd prefer something that resembles the original show since all Kai is is a re-release of the original show.
Well we each have our own opinion like for me kai means renew, refresh, redo. So in a sense its z with a clean slate which allows me to use whatever music I want for my rescore project
PSN SonGoku325

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:58 pm

Naruto6583 wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Well we each have our own opinion like for me kai means renew, refresh, redo. So in a sense its z with a clean slate which allows me to use whatever music I want for my rescore project
It wasn't enough of a redo for me personally to think of it as a redo, but hey, if it was for you, awesome! If you're enjoying Kai, all the more power to 'ya. :)

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:01 pm

It wasn't enough of a redo for me personally to think of it as a redo, but hey, if it was for you, awesome! If you're enjoying Kai, all the more power to 'ya. :)[/quote]
Thank you I wish more people thought like that the projects coming out in the fall so if you want to watch an episode or so just tell me
PSN SonGoku325

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:31 pm

OK, the album is complete guys https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... WnbQSOaX3q
Unfortunaltely, as everyone noticed, a lot of orchestral tracks are missing, dammit !
Also, I wonder why nothing has been announced in Japan, about the soundtracks.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:35 pm

Meh. :|

Dragon Ball Kai Buu Saga has been atrocious. Especially in regards to the choice of music. So I'm not gonna hold breath on this song being all that great, or even tolerable.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:36 pm

ShinGaijin wrote:OK, the album is complete guys https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... WnbQSOaX3q
Unfortunaltely, as everyone noticed, a lot of orchestral tracks are missing, dammit !
Also, I wonder why nothing has been announced in Japan, about the soundtracks.
Thanks so much, ShinGaijin!

Anyone know where I can purchase this? I'm in the UK. iTunes and Amazon are region locked.
Last edited by DBZ_Lee on Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:37 pm

I will say, I would not at all mind if this sets a precedent going forward for international releases of anime soundtracks on iTunes. While not impossible to find on Us iTunes, they can be a bit hard to come by here and there (even iTunes Japan has the Bruce Faulconer soundtrack, but not the Kikuchi soundtrack....... :wtf: .....). If this gets a release on the US iTunes store, I'll grab it for that alone.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:37 pm

Best track of the whole soundtrack! I'm in love with it, S. score is quite questionable but it does have hidden gems!. Thanks shingaijin!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BvkYXN ... 3q&index=2

Also there's good stuff here that rarely plays... I can notice the track naming is atrocious, since there's the track that is named "Tenkaichi Budokai" is the one that plays when mr satan does something, but here, the track that's named MR satan has NEVER played.
Last edited by Black_Liger on Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:38 pm

Black_Liger wrote:Best track of the whole soundtrack! I'm in love with it, S. score is quite questionable but it does have hidden gems!. Thanks shingaijin!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BvkYXN ... 3q&index=2
Kinda makes you wonder will there be a volume 2 because this is only half of the ost
PSN SonGoku325