Boo Arc in KAI is being poorly made?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kei17
I Live Here

Re: Boo Arc in KAI is being poorly made?

Post by kei17 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:27 pm

Yeah, the very problem of his score in Kai is how it sounds awfully CHEAP. Regardless of the quality of composition, the happy sounding synth tracks are very cheaply arranged and recorded that they feel like cheesy video game music from 20 years ago, which badly clashes with oldschool film footage.

Personally, another big problem to me is how it sounds too "western" for Dragon Ball.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:51 am

My main issues with Dragon Ball Kai (Buu Saga) are that the remastering is poorly done having a green tint and being cropped. If you watch the original Dragon Ball Kai you can tell there was real effort put into it to make it look good. This loses all of that. Then we have the score. I don't dislike it but there aren't that many tracks. Obviously the composer wasn't paid as much as Yamamoto was since we hear the same tracks so many times. Then there's that disco track.... ugh. They just found out that the score was released in France last month and even though it isn't complete, it only has 33 tracks. The original Kai had three or four releases totaling over 100 songs. Big difference.

I feel like they did a good job cutting out the filler in the beginning. I haven't seen much of a problem with it. But one thing that confuses me is this whole thing with the international version having more episodes. I hear that the beginning of the Japanese version had 15 episodes condensed down into 8? That sounds better to me, but regardless it shows that the entire thing is a mess that Toei just doesn't care about. Someone else mentioned they aren't being sponsored like the original Kai was so I can understand that there is a difference but still, this is pathetic.

Just to show how cheap it is, look at the ending themes. Literally every new ending for the show has less animation than the last, except for "Oh Yeah!" That one has less moving stills/fades than the newest ending, "Galaxy" does. But going from the first four endings you can see them cutting the budget with every new ending animation.

Oh well, I bought the final season on blu-ray remastered when it came out in December. I'm good.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:05 pm

I honestly do not understand, why they keep making these breaks recently? if they want to promote F movie, then I'm sorry, but this green tinted 16:9 mess is not a good promotion :) I'm afraid to think how poor Toriko must be, if even this is better.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:30 pm

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:My main issues with Dragon Ball Kai (Buu Saga) are that the remastering is poorly done having a green tint and being cropped. If you watch the original Dragon Ball Kai you can tell there was real effort put into it to make it look good. This loses all of that. Then we have the score. I don't dislike it but there aren't that many tracks. Obviously the composer wasn't paid as much as Yamamoto was since we hear the same tracks so many times. Then there's that disco track.... ugh. They just found out that the score was released in France last month and even though it isn't complete, it only has 33 tracks. The original Kai had three or four releases totaling over 100 songs. Big difference.

I feel like they did a good job cutting out the filler in the beginning. I haven't seen much of a problem with it. But one thing that confuses me is this whole thing with the international version having more episodes. I hear that the beginning of the Japanese version had 15 episodes condensed down into 8? That sounds better to me, but regardless it shows that the entire thing is a mess that Toei just doesn't care about. Someone else mentioned they aren't being sponsored like the original Kai was so I can understand that there is a difference but still, this is pathetic.

Just to show how cheap it is, look at the ending themes. Literally every new ending for the show has less animation than the last, except for "Oh Yeah!" That one has less moving stills/fades than the newest ending, "Galaxy" does. But going from the first four endings you can see them cutting the budget with every new ending animation.

Oh well, I bought the final season on blu-ray remastered when it came out in December. I'm good.
Its not really better the first few episodes were horribly editied together ask anyone on this forum
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:30 pm

coola wrote:if they want to promote F movie, then I'm sorry, but this green tinted 16:9 mess is not a good promotion :)
Regular viewers don't care about the cropped green screen, they care about Dragon Ball, and Dragon Ball is awesome.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:56 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
coola wrote:if they want to promote F movie, then I'm sorry, but this green tinted 16:9 mess is not a good promotion :)
Regular viewers don't care about the cropped green screen, they care about Dragon Ball, and Dragon Ball is awesome.
Honestly, even though we more observant fans on the internet are quick to notice and point out Kai's (glaring) flaws, the average consumer / casual viewer isn't going to care. To them it's more DBZ. If Kai 1.0 can be successful on TV (both in Japan and internationally), there's little reason why the Buu arc wouldn't.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:04 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Honestly, even though we more observant fans on the internet are quick to notice and point out Kai's (glaring) flaws, the average consumer / casual viewer isn't going to care. To them it's more DBZ. If Kai 1.0 can be successful on TV (both in Japan and internationally), there's little reason why the Buu arc wouldn't.
I can understand not caring about the cropping, but are there really few complaints over the color? I would think that's something that would stick out to even the most casual watchers.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:27 pm

The "green tint" is very noticeable and disturbing when you watch the Buu Saga on computer, but on HDTV, it's fine to me.
Also, the color correction seems better on the international version, dispite the fact that it has been made before the Japanese cut :

Japanese version : http://i.imgur.com/3dqLfR1.png (Colors are untouched, it's not from SOF**-Ra** )
International version : http://i.imgur.com/cQdJBhm.png

(Don't get me wrong : I vastly prefer the Japanese version).

I really wonder why they bother themselves to "improve" the remastering on the Japanese cut, I mean, colors & picture quality were closer to Kai 1.0 on the international version.The budget wasn't meant to be low ? :crazy:

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:24 pm

So, people mention that their keeping fillers. Which ones do they keep?

Kakarot9001
Banned

Post by Kakarot9001 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:52 am

jcogginsa wrote:So, people mention that their keeping fillers. Which ones do they keep?
I would like to know too