Episode #0013 (12 February 2006)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0013 (12 February 2006)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:37 am

Hey there, Gamasutra readers!

Here is the image referenced in the article. It's from the first issue of Nintendo Power in July/August 1988.

By the way, this is an old response thread for a weekly DragonBall podcast we do via our main website. This episode was from February 2006. We've come a long way since then! Be sure to check us out if you're interested. See ya' soon!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Episode #0013 (download MP3)
50:04; 64 kbps, mono; 22.9 MB

Episode #0013! VegettoEX, Julian, and Meri set up plans for AnimeNext 2006 and upcoming contests on the show. We also go over even more news on the upcoming video games and CD sets, as well as finish up name puns by going over the DB movies and DBZ TV specials. We also fully catch up on all our text e-mails, which include more video game ranting, scans from the first Nintendo Power (!), and a special karaoke session from Julian! Referenced sites: Whee! Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the entirely-unlucky *thirteen* episodes, now.

No additional comments for the week! Other than... errr... Julian sings! Enjoy! *dies*

Have fun!
Last edited by VegettoEX on Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:48 am

Awesome. I'm only 5 mins into it so far, but the lots of One Piece and Julian prancing rocks. As for AnimeNext... Jersey... Stupid non-Montreal places! :x

As for your contests, you should bug FUNimation, etc, every time a DVD and/or game comes out. I'm sure all the companies would be willing to donate a single copy for you to give away. You're pretty much THE DBZ fansite on the net, so this would be huge publicity for them. Plus we get free stuff!

EDIT: Great stuff, but when e-mails make up for half the podcast, you should splice it into two and have a second episode later in the week of just questions. Plus, that way you could have multiple questions per person.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:09 pm

An episode cannot be sustained by itself with just e-mails/questions.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

The Mole
Beyond Newbie

Post by The Mole » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:29 pm

I can only think of one time when in the show a kamehame-ha was actually yellow. It was when Gohan tried to destroy the Majin Buu egg-like thing.
Even I became a loser when I made one of these...
http://www.myspace.com/randomvideosw00t

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:46 pm

Yes actually, the "Lost Episode" boxset came out at the same time as Volume 1 of that. Basically you collect each of them and there's enough room for all 5 of them.

EDIT: Just finished. Good stuff as always guys,a nd I'm glad I got to hear Julian sing if only for a little bit, and thanks for all of the little One Piece bits :3

Also, I have a couple questions:

-I know I sent the Saiyuki/FUNi opinions question audio e-mail a while ago, and that you'll get to it soon, so does that mean I should hold off on sending another one to be answered until after you do the episode for it?

-Also, I'm gonna be starting on a podcast with a few friends for www.hellcon.com tonight. If you'd like a little bit more exposure, possibly to some FUNimation VAs, have you considered making a little mini-commercial about the Daizenshuu EX podcast to give to other podcasts that wanna help promote you? A few other podcasts I've seen have done the same o.o

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:22 pm

Man, I think I am going senile. I just listened to the episode not 10 minutes ago, and I barely remember anything but the ending karaoke bit. All I'll say is it was nice, it's a shame I can't remember what happened though. Lol.

(Seriously, I don't remember... it's sad...)

kvon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kvon » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:28 pm

The Dragon Quest III screenshot actually reminded more of a really old manga "Dai no Daiboken", which spawned an incomplete anime series. I wonder if Toriyama also did the character designs for that...

Anyways, great podcast! I like the part where Mike goes all squeaky about the yellow Kamehameha. Haha!
kvon is an alternative name to Kevin

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:57 pm

Great podcast you guys, maybe you can also bring up a topic about GT puns (considering GT's the shortest series, it wouldn't take as long as original DB and DBZ)? Hearing Julian speak Japanese like a 100% pro is incredible, I could only imagine a Japanese conversation between him and Daimao, we'd all probably be lost :P . Anyway, I'm loving the news bits, the topics you guys keep coming up with, and it was nice for Mike to give us one more dub Roshi cameo (though only 2 seconds long :lol: ). I was a bit surprised you guys didn't bring up the GT special in the "TV Special Puns" part, but it was still all good. Keep up the good work, can't wait for next week.
14 years later

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:44 pm

VegettoEX wrote:An episode cannot be sustained by itself with just e-mails/questions.
True, but it can't be overshadowed by them either. Perhaps revamp "Ask VegettoEX?" Written-in e-mails shouldn't be dominating a podcast, which is exactly what you let happen to this week's episode. And that was with you only taking one question per person.

Maybe you should only answer audio questions in the podcasts. That way you could answer the written ones in "Ask VegettoEX" updates. The way it is now, "Ask VegettoEX" is just destined to be archived and forgotten.

Kirbopher: That was a starter set, not a box set. Box sets come with all the discs in the box. Starter sets have the box and only one disc, so that people who collect the discs individually can put them in a box once a lot get released.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:50 pm

Kirbopher wrote:I know I sent the Saiyuki/FUNi opinions question audio e-mail a while ago, and that you'll get to it soon, so does that mean I should hold off on sending another one to be answered until after you do the episode for it?
For a variety of reasons (a small part of which was your question), I've begun re-reading the entire translation of JttW again. There's no need to re-send the question. We're absolutely going to do an entire episode about DB/JttW in the future.
Kirbopher wrote:Also, I'm gonna be starting on a podcast with a few friends for www.hellcon.com tonight. If you'd like a little bit more exposure, possibly to some FUNimation VAs, have you considered making a little mini-commercial about the Daizenshuu EX podcast to give to other podcasts that wanna help promote you? A few other podcasts I've seen have done the same o.o
I've thought about doing the whole promo and cross-plugging thing, but I'm not sure if that's a direction I want to go in. I've always been very anti-self-whoring, and I just have a kinda weird feeling about promoting myself/ourselves in that way. I tend to just skip right the fizzle over any other-podcast-promos in any podcast I listen to, so I'm not sure just how effective it would be, anyway.
Dayspring wrote:True, but it can't be overshadowed by them either. Perhaps revamp "Ask VegettoEX?" Written-in e-mails shouldn't be dominating a podcast, which is exactly what you let happen to this week's episode. And that was with you only taking one question per person.
Some of that just comes from the way it ends up being edited down. Before editing, the puns section was far longer than the e-mails. A lot of it just didn't seem necessary (either redundant on itself, not interesting, strays off-topic, etc.). As such, it can't always be predicted how long it's going to end up after editing it down. But I totally understand where you're coming from :).
Dayspring wrote:Maybe you should only answer audio questions in the podcasts. That way you could answer the written ones in "Ask VegettoEX" updates. The way it is now, "Ask VegettoEX" is just destined to be archived and forgotten.
I fully plan on archiving all on-air questions in the "Ask" section, both audio and text. We won't be limiting questions to just audio questions, because I can guarantee you we wouldn't have enough to sustain the section every week (and it's not something I'd want to do without). Some weeks we've gotten upwards of 10 audio questions, and some we get none. Right now we're stock-piling ^_~.

MultilangDBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by MultilangDBZ » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:02 pm

Nice podcast.

The food descriptions in there made me so hungry...

With Tienshinhan, the place of 'Tienshin' is Tianjin, which is a 'municipality' in China just like Beijing or Shanghai and is a province - so it's really well known actually. I've never been there myself though. Using Japanese romanization, pronouncing it Tienjin would be really close to how you would pronounce Tianjin (which is Mandarin).

And Chaozu, known as Gyoza in Japan, is Jiaozi (Mandarin), which is a really popular dumpling dish in Northern parts of China, especially during new year's. It's also Beijing's signature dish. Though in restaurants in the States, Australia or UK, normally in the menus they use the Cantonese romanization of Gow Gee that many people are familiar with instead.

A picture of Jiaozi/Gow Gee/Gyoza:

EDIT: Added a photo.
Last edited by MultilangDBZ on Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The analytical enigma. 分析性的不解之谜.

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:15 pm

Hey there VegettoEX, I've been a faithful listener to your podcast show from the beginning. There is something that I have noticed about your voice. I really think you have the capability to become a voice actor! haha, I've enjoyed every episode presented, and every episode has been very informative, keep it up :) By the way, maybe next week you may have some news regarding the theatrical releases of movies 6 and 12?

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:22 pm

Snail wrote:Hey there VegettoEX, I've been a faithful listener to your podcast show from the beginning. There is something that I have noticed about your voice. I really think you have the capability to become a voice actor!
I agree. EX, you got quite the range when you wanna use it, in my opinion. 8)
14 years later

MultilangDBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by MultilangDBZ » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:09 pm

Snail wrote:... VegettoEX, ... you have the capability to become a voice actor
I kinda think so too, VegettoEX is quite adept at changing his voice... a radio storyteller would also work. :)
The analytical enigma. 分析性的不解之谜.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:23 pm

I don't know what drugs you all are taking that allow you to... errr... "enjoy" my voice work so much, but I'll take a few hits of whatever it is!

Depending on the time of day, what I happen to be drinking, and what the subject matter is, I certainly go back and forth on what my "range" will be for the episode :P.

The Mole
Beyond Newbie

Post by The Mole » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:43 pm

I don't know what drugs you all are taking that allow you to... errr... "enjoy" my voice work so much, but I'll take a few hits of whatever it is!
Psst......LSD.
Try some!
It'll cause you to...*passes out*
Even I became a loser when I made one of these...
http://www.myspace.com/randomvideosw00t

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:13 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Kirbopher wrote:I know I sent the Saiyuki/FUNi opinions question audio e-mail a while ago, and that you'll get to it soon, so does that mean I should hold off on sending another one to be answered until after you do the episode for it?
For a variety of reasons (a small part of which was your question), I've begun re-reading the entire translation of JttW again. There's no need to re-send the question. We're absolutely going to do an entire episode about DB/JttW in the future.
Oh no, I meant a DIFFERENT quesiton from the one I already gave you o.o

Meri
The Wife

Post by Meri » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:15 pm

Mike does a good job of putting his voice to work in the fan parodies we work on. He had a somewhat lead role in "S.T.E.A.M.", which should appear at many conventions this year, and, hopefully, will be ready on DVD in a few months. Mike did an awesome job on that thing. :D

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:57 pm

Great Pod Cast, I guess by week 13 my complement has gotten a little redundant... how about stupendous Pod Cast. Once you get the BGM collection you should use some dbz music/sounds for your segment queues.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

Saiyan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyan » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:38 am

Hey, awesome! I just checked out the AnimeNext website, and I didn't really know about this, but it's held here in my town. Now that I know it's close, I'll most likely stop by.

Hmm..now that I mention it, I heard that they held Anime conventions here.

Great podcast! I liked all the puns and all your opinions. Keep up the great work.