Hopes for Resurrection F's marketing?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SRB2Unleashed
Regular

Hopes for Resurrection F's marketing?

Post by SRB2Unleashed » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:10 pm

We all know in Japan that anime films, especially big name ones like Naruto and Dragon Ball have major marketing. But it got me wondering - in my home territory, North America, Battle of Gods got notable marketing for it's theatrical release than most limited releases - by that I mean YouTube ads and commercial time during Toonami. As some may know, Battle of Gods over performed at the Box Office in NA, grossing over $2 million, getting an encore run and of course the home release made a killing. This leads me to my main point.

While I know we won't get Japan's level of marketing with Freeza hijacking ticket machines, fast food promotion, among other things, I do hope Resurrection F warrants more promotion over here in North America. Promotion is apart of the theater experience to me, as odd as that may seem.

Now while I know some if not most of these are unlikely, these are a few things I would enjoy see for promotion when Resurrection F hits theaters this summer:
- A run of Battle of Gods on Toonami to hype the film
- Use DBZ Kai's 8 pm slot to jump ahead of Toonami for a few weeks to do The Best of Freeza episodes highlighting some of his finest moments. (Hell, if Funi and AS were willing in this scenario, give it the entire 8-9 hour)
- A little more unlikely, but maybe a brief rerelease of Battle of Gods in theaters again? It would allow those who missed out on the experience to see it, or for fans to relive the experience again.
- Possibly more likely than above, but still most likely unlikely, but something I really want to see - a double feature at AMC of Battle of Gods and Resurrection F. I know AMC has a knack to do things like this, but I'm unaware if they ever did this sort of thing for anime films.
- Participating theaters give away posters of the movie like with The Last: Naruto the Movie.
- In addition: People who see the movie, participating theaters will also give away free DLC code to
for Dragon Ball Xenoverse.
- Actual framed poster hanging up in theaters like they do to promote other movies. Also unlikely, I know.
- This is more than likely much more expensive to do but maybe more airtime on television for the movie? Probably not but still fun to imagine.

Outside of movie promotion, my other hopes for the theaterical experience is:
- We get the 3D and IMAX release of the movie, I'd love to see it in 3D just for the shits and giggles.
- We don't have a repeat of Battle of Gods where the master we get is just the blu-ray, because man! That quality kinda stunk. Interlacing issues or something.

Feedback and thoughts are appreciated. I know a lot of aren't gonna happen just for the sake of saving money but it's fun to dream.
GT isn't bad, just sucks ass in comparison to the other 2 animes.

Subscribe to me on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ImmaKrillinYT

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Re: Hopes for Resurrection F's marketing?

Post by MarcFBR » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:16 pm

Most the marketing you want isn't worth the time or effort for the type of limited run the film will get because in general the audience who is going to see the film will know about it.

Certainly there are things they can do, but some of your suggestions (playing with Kai's scheduling, AMC getting 'personally' involved to setup a double feature, etc.) are unlikely because they have no solid benefit for the companies involved.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:34 pm

ROF will likely get another limited release in the US like BOG did. It's just how Hollywood is to foreign movies. I think the marketing for ROF will be the same as it was with BOG.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:27 am

I'd like to see a marathon of Kai one weekend on Toonami when it gets closer to release date (similar to your idea except it's the whole Toonami block). It would be somewhat akin to the Attack on Titan marathons Toonami has had in the past, though I think they may have been just a bunch of reruns to hype the end of the series or something so a block of new (well, new to Toonami) Kai is probably unlikely. We should be in the middle of the Namek stuff on Toonami by the time F is about to release over here, so I think the timing is actually pretty good. Maybe throw in an exclusive preview clip of the film to spice things up a bit. I dunno if they'd go for it, though, especially since I doubt that Viz and Aniplex would be too happy about their shows not airing one week. A man can dream, though.

As for the poster thing, we actually had a Battle of Gods poster hanging at our Carmike during its run here, so that isn't entirely out of the question.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube