Most memorable BS dub lines / names

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Re: Most memorable BS dub lines / names

Post by Akumaito Beam » Sun May 03, 2015 12:18 am

I'm quite partial to Goku proclaiming to Cell
The Light in the Darkness wrote:"You're not the first person to try to rule the universe with a sword of injustice!"
Failed humor is always expected but I get a kick out of what the old Funi writers considered to be 'cool' dialogue.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun May 03, 2015 12:39 am

Akumaito Beam wrote:I'm quite partial to Goku proclaiming to Cell
The Light in the Darkness wrote:"You're not the first person to try to rule the universe with a sword of injustice!"
Failed humor is always expected but I get a kick out of what the old Funi writers considered to be 'cool' dialogue.
Hey now, the line itself isn't the problem! The problem is that Goku would never say something like that...

...But, speaking of failed "cool" dialogue...

Krillin: Oh man, that guy's toast!

Piccolo: More like...(eyes go crosswide)...BURNT toast.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Sun May 03, 2015 12:54 am

Fionordequester wrote: Hey now, the line itself isn't the problem! The problem is that Goku would never say something like that...
Six of one, half a dozen of the other. I would consider it an over the top corn ball line to be sure. There's some genuinely cool dub lines I like, this just isn't one of them. :D

Singh is King
Beyond Newbie

Post by Singh is King » Sun May 03, 2015 3:05 am

"Helping people can be fun, too!" - Goku :crazy:

"I can see the parachutes-- they're okay!" - Tien :mrgreen:

"You'd be sitting at a bus stop somewhere in the next dimension!" - Nappa :lol:

"YES, YES, YES, I CAN WIN, I FEEL GREAT, I CAN DO THIS, URRREEAAAH." - Piccolo

"That happy healer..." - Vegeta

SSJGFrieza
Banned

Post by SSJGFrieza » Sun May 03, 2015 3:13 am

"They weakened him"

To this very day people use that to claim Kid Buu is the strongest form of Buu
Linda Young 4 lyfe

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Sun May 03, 2015 4:44 am

The good old, infamous "Ally to good, nightmare to you!" still baffles me to this day how they managed to put such uncharacteristic words in Goku's mouth.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Sun May 03, 2015 6:04 am

TheOverlyMadHatter wrote:The good old, infamous "Ally to good, nightmare to you!" still baffles me to this day how they managed to put such uncharacteristic words in Goku's mouth.
Presumably some combination of them (apparently) being provided with nigh-unusable scripts by Toei, the writers not being especially familiar with the original Dragon Ball anime (and thus Goku's uncultured hick nature not being quite so apparent to them), and an intentional effort to make Goku into a Superman-style champion of justice and morality.

Man-Child
Beyond Newbie

Post by Man-Child » Sun May 03, 2015 9:03 am

Not surprisingly, half the quotes on here already are from funi's season three.

Ocean-Saban Dub

1) Mr. Popo: "KAMI-SANNNNNN!!!!!!!!!" - .....Sama..

2) Tien: "This Cowboy's going for ONE LAST RIDE!!!" - It's the drawing out of the last three words that always makes me cry in laughter.

3) Bulma: "You mean we need Dragon Balls from somewhere else?" - Despite having no idea of the concept of new dragon balls up to that point.

4) Goku: "Yeah. And he's the one who stomped on all those innocent people and stepped on my grandfather!" - Probably the only dub line from that era that I have to skip past every time it comes up. I mean, did the writers even watch the scene before they wrote that crap? You don't even need to understand the dialogue from the original. It clearly shows the Oozaru changing back into Goku right on the screen! Why of all things, would Goku believe that a Saiyan, who's never even been to earth up to that point, would be the one responsible for Gohan's death some 20 years earlier? So dumb. It's an inexcusable dub line no matter how you cut it.

5) Gohan: "Kamehameha!" - Anytime he uses a Masenko.

Funimation Dub

1) Vegeta: - "This'll be easier than coloring inside the lines!"

2) Gohan: "Namek! Where balls are born!"

3) Dende: "Don't piss off the God of Love!" - The one swear phrase during that era goes to Dende of all people. Too funny.

4) Frieza: "You ruined everything you little scumbags! How dare you stick your nose in my affairs! I could've been immortal! I hate youuuuuuuuu!!!!!"

5) Jeice: "Sometimes you gotta know when to Go-Go-Go!" - What kills me the most is that you can't even see Jeice speaking in that scene, so it can't be said that the line works for at least matching the mouth flaps.

6) Goku: "That means there's still a chance to wish Piccolo and the others back to this Dimension!" - For the sake of continuity, the "next dimension" references weren't a real problem, but it's still odd to hear. Especially since Funimation left the same line in the remastered dub, which makes no sense at all.
Last edited by Man-Child on Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:37 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun May 03, 2015 7:39 pm

Man-Child wrote:2) Tenshinhan: "This Cowboy's going for ONE LAST RIDE!!!" - It's the drawing out of the last three words that always makes me cry in laughter.
The only thing that comes to mind when I hear that is the ending scene of Dr. Strangelove.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 03, 2015 7:54 pm

Gohan: I wouldn't want to be the mountain lion.

For context, in the edited version of an episode, they cut Kuririn's line for some unknown reason, likely an editing error. That means the line is unprompted. He just says it out of nohere.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Man-Child
Beyond Newbie

Post by Man-Child » Sun May 03, 2015 8:15 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Man-Child wrote:2) Tenshinhan: "This Cowboy's going for ONE LAST RIDE!!!" - It's the drawing out of the last three words that always makes me cry in laughter.
The only thing that comes to mind when I hear that is the ending scene of Dr. Strangelove.
I can imagine playing that line over the Major Kong sequence would be gut busting at least.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun May 03, 2015 11:51 pm

Frieza's Counterattack: Season 4 Episode 11

(Vegeta, when putting on Bulma's pink shirt)

Vegeta: These garments that you left...are they for a man or a woman? They're pink.

Bulma: Come on, it's the style here.

Vegeta: Men in pink...how bizarre!

Bulma: Heh. (everyone laughs)

Vegeta: This is ridiculous I'm a warrior. Not a...a...a variety of flower!

Bulma: Well, you smell good. (everyone laughs)

Vegeta: Stop that. Stop it or I'll blast you all!

Season 4 Episode 14: Welcome Back Goku

(Trunks stares at Vegeta. Vegeta, still wearing the pink shirt, responds)

Vegeta: What are you looking at?

Trunks: Oh uh, nothing, it's just that I uh...like your shirt.

Vegeta: You would...

Season 4 Episode 16: Welcome Back Goku

Vegeta: But there's still a few things I'd like to know. For starters, where in the world did you get that absurd looking outfit?

Goku: It's the latest fashion on planet Yardrat, but I guess it does look a little strange. (sees Vegeta wearing pink) But at least it's not pink!

Vegeta: Grr...nevermind! Who cares about your stupid clothes anyway?!
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon May 04, 2015 5:31 am

SSJGFrieza wrote:"They weakened him"

To this very day people use that to claim Kid Buu is the strongest form of Buu
I actually wouldn't class that as a BS line. It was clearly being implied that Fat Buu was weaker than he'd been as Kid Buu, which is true. There's nothing in that line to suggest Kid Buu is stronger than Super Buu. And to add to that the dub even sort of fixed a problem with a later line. The one I'm talking about is in the Japanese version were Goku outright states that Kid Buu is the strongest Buu of them all, but in the English dub they change it to "You're twice as strong as you were before", which makes it ambiguous as it could just mean that Kid Buu had powered up over the course of his battle with Goku.
Man-Child wrote: 5) Gohan: "Kamehameha!" - Anytime he uses a Masenko.
He also says "Kamehameha" in the Japanese version.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon May 04, 2015 7:58 am

Man, they are just rudiculous... After decade of playing DBZ games, I've never got used to attacks like Spirit Ball, Destructo Disk, Special Beam Canon...
I am happy that they are preserved in manga in original japanese name and translated faithfully under line.

Also, I really hate Pik-kon (Paikuhan, had to insert dash because of the censorhip :D ) or names of the ''Shadow Dragons'' like Eis Shenron or Omega Shenron. I also like the original names derived from the numbers of Dragon Balls :)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon May 04, 2015 8:00 am

But he did use it even before he even learned the Kamehameha. Masenko was what he used before learning it, but it was often changed to Kamehameha.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Man-Child
Beyond Newbie

Post by Man-Child » Mon May 04, 2015 9:05 am

Wow, I had no idea that mistake was also in the original. I must make a note to go back and rewatch the series again. I'm glad, at least, that they used the right attack names in Kai.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon May 04, 2015 11:59 am

- Over 9000
- Spirit Bomb
- Friеza
- Hеrcule
- Tîеn
- Chiatzu
- Teen Gohan
- Mondon Cool
- Special Beam Cannon
- Destructo Disc
- Krillin
- Super Seiyun
- Saibamen (I get they're trying to make it plural but the original name is Saibaman) oh and.. Cultivars (no one asked for this, Viz).
- Pop goes the weasel
- "Ally to good, nightmare to you!" (didn't know I was watching an anime series of Superman)
- The Portuguese dub of Goku's Super Saiyan moment was something like "By the Power of Kaio-sama!" (of course they didn't use Kaio-sama but the dubname) and stupid unrelated references to DB in any way.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon May 04, 2015 12:40 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:- Chiatzu
Chiaotzu is actually correct and perfectly logical. Short version, 'Chaozu' is the Japanese approximation of the chinese Chiaotzu/Jiaozi, just like 'Shenron' is the Japanese approximation of the chinese Shenlong. FUNimation actually did the right thing there.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Mon May 04, 2015 2:34 pm

Puto wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:- Chiatzu
Chiaotzu is actually correct and perfectly logical. Short version, 'Chaozu' is the Japanese approximation of the chinese Chiaotzu/Jiaozi, just like 'Shenron' is the Japanese approximation of the chinese Shenlong. FUNimation actually did the right thing there.
Yeah. You can't be too literally when it comes to translating names anyway. Otherwise we'd have stuff like "Bejita" instead of Vegeta (because there are no V's in Japanese).

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 04, 2015 3:57 pm