"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by ZombieVito » Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:15 pm

I guess this trash is better than Toyo's but man this is a kick to the balls.

Over 2 decades waiting for Piccolo to be relevant again and the first thing Toriyama does is GT 2.0 but replacing Pan and Trunks with fucking Shin.

Please be a short thing.

Yasai9001
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yasai9001 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:15 pm

I honestly am speechless right now.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:25 pm

Please note that there is an existing topic to cover the debut trailer of and information about Dragon Ball Daima, which is unrelated to Dragon Ball Super. As such, there is no particular reason to discuss it here.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:23 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:15 pm I guess this trash is better than Toyo's but man this is a kick to the balls.

Over 2 decades waiting for Piccolo to be relevant again and the first thing Toriyama does is GT 2.0 but replacing Pan and Trunks with fucking Shin.

Please be a short thing.
I doubt it's gonna be "GT 2.0." Nothing can get THAT bad.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Dragmobot12
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragmobot12 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:00 pm

Recall the popular speculation surrounding the Yamoshi teaser, which turned out to be a misdirection, and imagine the excitement that a revived Garlic Jr. could generate among Dragon Ball fans. Possible improved version:

Consider the possibility that Garlic Jr. could return from the Dead Zone and serve as the main antagonist in this story. Time travel and multiverse elements are involved, which may establish a connection between the Dead Zone and the events of the main timeline.

Although Garlic Jr. is not considered a canonical character, his unexpected return would be a significant plot twist, reminiscent of the Broly film in terms of surprise and impact.

Image Image

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:46 am

VegettoEX wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:25 pm Please note that there is an existing topic to cover the debut trailer of and information about Dragon Ball Daima, which is unrelated to Dragon Ball Super. As such, there is no particular reason to discuss it here.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:54 pm

Well, I guess this is the end of an era, right? I will always cherish this thread since the excitement of having a new anime announced after 18 years without any was indescribable at the time.

I don't think Daima will reach the peak that Super has reached, but I hope it turns out to be a good series, despite its premise already being flawed before, as seen in GT.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:15 pm

Noah wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:54 pm Well, I guess this is the end of an era, right? I will always cherish this thread since the excitement of having a new anime announced after 18 years without any was indescribable at the time.

I don't think Daima will reach the peak that Super has reached, but I hope it turns out to be a good series, despite its premise already being flawed before, as seen in GT.
At one point there will be more super, so why call it end of an era?

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:26 pm

sangofe wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:15 pm
Noah wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:54 pm Well, I guess this is the end of an era, right? I will always cherish this thread since the excitement of having a new anime announced after 18 years without any was indescribable at the time.

I wonder. Obviously there's at least one more manga chapter coming, but the way the beginning of the trailer shows so much of Super, in order, really does set up Daima as "the next big thing".

If this is the end of the Super era, I will just say that it's been exhilarating, frustrating and sometimes even exhausting. Of course, that was true of Z as well - as fun as some of the DBZ films are, there's always been ups and downs and Super has been no exception. The highs have been really high though, and I'm really glad the DBS films exist.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:58 am

capsulecorp wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:26 pm
sangofe wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:15 pm

I wonder. Obviously there's at least one more manga chapter coming, but the way the beginning of the trailer shows so much of Super, in order, really does set up Daima as "the next big thing".

If this is the end of the Super era, I will just say that it's been exhilarating, frustrating and sometimes even exhausting. Of course, that was true of Z as well - as fun as some of the DBZ films are, there's always been ups and downs and Super has been no exception. The highs have been really high though, and I'm really glad the DBS films exist.
Of course they wanna hype their next project.
There’s nothing to wonder about. They won't let so much Dragon Ball content to not be animated unless Toriyama says so.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:31 pm

Fiscal charts I haven't updated in a looong time :P But people used to like them so here it is, as usual Fiscal Years end in March, not December:

I love how you can see where the profits start to drop again and the uptick the moment Super Hero releases :p

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:07 pm

Also unsurprising profits across the board have generally skyrocketed since Super's debut in 2015. Bandai knew the potential back in 2009 when they first proposed a new series.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:36 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:07 pm Also unsurprising profits across the board have generally skyrocketed since Super's debut in 2015. Bandai knew the potential back in 2009 when they first proposed a new series.
Aye. And we can perfectly see how little Kai did for Toei/Bandai's profits (and neither Heros did anythig substantial). Although I do think it helped quite a bit prepping the ground for Super (along with BOG) and they're likely selling a lot of Kai licenses nowadays along with Super after the later's massive. Wouldn't be the case if they didn't prepare Kai years earlier having it ready as a secondary product to push to international broadcasters/distributors along with Super

All in all, althought little of it was pre-planned, all the pieces eventually fell into place for DB's massive re-peak.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:32 pm

Guys..

Akio Iyoku: I will continue to produce works, such as anime series, movies, and games, over the next 10 years. (...)

He also shares his concerns about the anime industry and how one should approach it: It is tough to see the competition among anime (due to the emergence of streaming sites, etc.). Competition has become excessive. We must not create a situation where a manga becomes anime, and when the anime is over, the content ends as is. The ideal situation is to create a situation where the average viewer sees the content. We are in a cycle of consumption, and in some aspects, the cycle is becoming short-lived. I don't think it's good at all to have a boom that builds up and then burns down, which can be a factor in the content not lasting long. It will be tough if we do not create a place to compete differently from anime as content. It is advisable for works that are popular now to be distributed simultaneously around the world to repeat generations and reach the next stage of popularity. (...)

Full translation

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:47 pm

Hey...maybe...like...schedule and build a stockpile of episodes before you release, Iyoku.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:15 am

Hugo Boss wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:32 pm Guys..

Akio Iyoku: I will continue to produce works, such as anime series, movies, and games, over the next 10 years. (...)

He also shares his concerns about the anime industry and how one should approach it: It is tough to see the competition among anime (due to the emergence of streaming sites, etc.). Competition has become excessive. We must not create a situation where a manga becomes anime, and when the anime is over, the content ends as is. The ideal situation is to create a situation where the average viewer sees the content. We are in a cycle of consumption, and in some aspects, the cycle is becoming short-lived. I don't think it's good at all to have a boom that builds up and then burns down, which can be a factor in the content not lasting long. It will be tough if we do not create a place to compete differently from anime as content. It is advisable for works that are popular now to be distributed simultaneously around the world to repeat generations and reach the next stage of popularity. (...)

Full translation
What could this mean?

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:30 am

shadd21 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:15 amWhat could this mean?
Honestly? Everything and nothing at the same time. It's peak corpo talk. Shareholders will be happy, YouTubers will be happy, Twitter personas will have their hot take too etc.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:20 am

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:47 pm Hey...maybe...like...schedule and build a stockpile of episodes before you release, Iyoku.
So what if I told you that these guys, much like Gohan, likely will not learn from their mistakes?
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:46 am

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:20 am
JulieYBM wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:47 pm Hey...maybe...like...schedule and build a stockpile of episodes before you release, Iyoku.
So what if I told you that these guys, much like Gohan, likely will not learn from their mistakes?
Nothing is indicating you are right about that. On the contrary, Dragon Ball Daima indicates you are wrong.