"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Rocketman » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:31 am

Nickolaidas wrote:Guys, I'm going to be straight with you. If you feel the show has gotten 'silly' ... it hasn't.
You say yourself that DB/Z were more serious then you expect Super to be.

I mean, honestly. You can't say there's not been a huge downgrade from the brutal apocalyptic grind of the Saiyan-Android arcs to the modern supershonen crap.
Last edited by Rocketman on Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:35 am

Hmmm ...

#dinobushyeyebrowsftw

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:37 am

Rocketman wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:Guys, I'm going to be straight with you. If you feel the show has gotten 'silly' ... it hasn't.
No, I'm saying I'm now 20 years older and DBZ seems much more silly that it seemed to in my eyes back then. And if Super is intended for the same demographic, it will look sill-ier because I won't be seeing it with nostalgia goggles.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:41 am

Nickolaidas wrote:Hmmm ...

#dinobushyeyebrowsftw

Didn't this eyebrowed snake appear in a filler episode of dbz where goku protected some eggs?
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:43 am

Nickolaidas wrote:Also, about the comments of the RR Ribbon and Daimaoh arc and hell, all of DB combine being more serious than Z, it's probably because of target audience. DB was for 13-15 year olds, DBZ was for 7-12. And given the vibe of the new movies, I doubt that Dragon Ball Super is intended to be watched by 30-year olds who grew up with the show. It's probably intented for a much younger audience. Hence the need to have Kid Goten and Kid Trunks jerking around in order for the show to strike the right chords with the kiddies. Frankly, I have *no* idea where the android/Cell saga came from, but that golden age is gone and is never coming back.
There were never separate demographics for DB and DBZ, as they belong to the same manga - and i don't see how it makes sense to say that DB was aimed at an older audience. I mean, because of toilet jokes? It's funny how back then people always said the opposite of what you're saying now.

Anyway, Shonen Jump series like DB are pretty much always aimed at all audiences, they're never specifically for kids. It's not Doraemon.
One of Super's producers said they want to bring in new fans while keeping older fans equally interested, which is a given when Super will air alongside One Piece, a show that all kinds of demographics are watching in Japan. Cater to kids-only would be playing it wrong.
And they're not keeping Goten and Trunks as kids for that reason, as Pan and Bra could do the same had they gone with EoZ instead.

Speaking of Androids/Cell, Toriyama said the arc got too tense for his tastes. So you're right about that, whoever is expecting something similar will never get it.
I think Toriyama himself is well aware that some of the concepts the series had are silly and overused nowadays, so he avoids to take it too seriously as much as he can, a trend he had started with the Buu arc already.
Last edited by Araki on Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:50 am, edited 4 times in total.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:44 am

Nickolaidas wrote:
Rocketman wrote:
No, I'm saying I'm now 20 years older and DBZ seems much more silly that it seemed to in my eyes back then. And if Super is intended for the same demographic, it will look sill-ier because I won't be seeing it with nostalgia goggles.
The entire concept was silly (in a good way) since the day I watched it at the age of 8, but the tone and mood delivered was also different than anything in modern DBZ. You can't deny that regardless of how much older you are because it's just fact. =P

As it stands, a lot of people were put off by the Buu saga before any of this new stuff too (I like it though).
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:46 am

What could it be in the big jar Trunks and Goten are carrying around?

Could the next villain be trapped inside? :lol:
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:49 am

soulnova wrote:What could it be in the big jar Trunks and Goten are carrying around?

Could the next villain be trapped inside? :lol:
Maybe it's magical liquid thathat will make them grow! Super Water!

Perhaps it's a specific magical container a la Mafuba or gag magic. I expect it to be basic water though.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:51 am

Araki wrote:There were never separate demographics for DB and DBZ, as they belong to the same manga - and i don't see how it makes sense to say that DB was aimed at an older audience. I mean, because of toilet jokes? It's funny how back then people always said the opposite of what you're saying now.
I'm not talking about the manga. I'm talking about the anime. The tone and the filler of DBZ is a lot more lighthearted than the tone of DB. And when talking about DB, I'm talking post-21st Budokai, where the series stop being a parody of clichés and tropes, and became its own thing. Tao Pai Pai signaled the end of comedy DB and became action DB. I don't think a character ever before dies on screen through violence (and not off-screen) before Tao killing General Blue.
Tao Pai Pai, 22nd Budokai and Daimao arcs are more serious than 70% of the entire DBZ storyline (Androids excluded).

EDIT: I just fast-forwarded the BoG movie. Did Pilaf and gang became kids so that Trunks will get some?

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:53 am

soulnova wrote:What could it be in the big jar Trunks and Goten are carrying around?

They farted and sealed it.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:58 am

Nickolaidas wrote: Also, about the comments of the RR Ribbon and Daimaoh arc and hell, all of DB combine being more serious than Z, it's probably because of target audience. DB was for 13-15 year olds, DBZ was for 7-12.
Dragon Ball is always been known to be market to kids from 5 - 13 in Japan. Japan allows content to kids that we are not allow to in the US. Shin Chan is for kids in Japan and can get away with dirty jokes while kids shows in America like Regular Show and Spongebob would never allow the same level of humor of Shin Chan.
Guys, I'm going to be straight with you. If you feel the show has gotten 'silly' ... it hasn't. You're just 'too old for this shit'. Seriously, 95% of the people in those boards do not fit the target demographic of the show, so don't expect the show to be 'everything you hoped for'. I'm referring to the people here who expect Super to be rich with dark moments, serious storytelling, meaningful characters etc etc. It won't. It's a show for kids. A show for kids being kids.Everyone in those boards has a manchild in him/her, clamoring to get out, and that's fine. But having unrealistic expectations (such as believing the show grew up alongside you) is naïve at best. Honestly, do you take seriously a story where the supposed God of Destruction halts his urges to blow up stuff in order to eat ice cream sundae? That's the show's silliness at full force, take it for what it is. The show hasn't matured one bit, so don't expect it too. Again, I'm not saying that's a bad thing. I'm saying *that* is DB and always will be.

About the trailer itself, it's safe to assume they're sticking with the Buu philosophy (there will be action, but good guys and bad guys will be ridiculed at regular intervals, preventing the viewer from taking the show seriously). Goku is taking front stage with Vegeta sticking close by, but we can expect to see other characters for filler moments or gawk like idiots when the full-blooded saiyan duo takes on the next challenge. And there's definitely going to be a villain. It ain't DBZ without one.
This sums up things nicely. Dragon Ball is always been known for kids in both Japan and America. The tone of the franchise is still not much different then you where as a kid back in 1998. Some people will bitch about the lack of blood, but who cares. Who watches DBZ for the blood and gore? This is not Mortal Kombat or Demon Beast Invasion. I don't care if Sunday morning anime edits down things, just tell me a good story. That's all I want.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:07 am

Oh yes. So much yes.
Is it pre-EoZ? I DON'T CARE!!! I'm so hyped right now :lol:
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:18 am

Maybe it is because it is late and I'm really tired... but every time I see those pics with Goten and Trunks....

♫ I can't help feeling
We could have had it all ♪
Rolling in the deep
You had my heart inside of your hand
And you played it to the beat ♫

ok, enough internet for one day
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:18 am

*Just realized; we're getting a longer version of the ad on Monday (in Japan). It's already 4:20pm on Sunday there.*

Maybe the longer version of the ad will explain things? :3
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:20 am

Chuquita wrote:*Just realized; we're getting a longer version of the ad on Monday (in Japan). It's already 4:20pm on Sunday there.*

Maybe the longer version of the ad will explain things? :3
At what time on Monday (Japan)?
:shock:

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:22 am

The Kanzenshuu main page said monday we may get a trailer, not that we will. Did I miss something?
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:30 am

dbzfan7 wrote:The Kanzenshuu main page said monday we may get a trailer, not that we will. Did I miss something?
Ah, you are right; it is a maybe:
Kanzenshuu wrote:Today’s preview was apparently only a “short version”; additional updates are promised for the series’ official website on Monday, which may potentially include a full-length version.
It's also 3:30 in the morning where I am; will take this as an additional cue that it's time for me to go to sleep.

And when I wake up, maybe there'll be a full-length version to watch. Image
Maybe.Image
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:11 am

Oh wow that was even better than what I was expecting tbh!! Animation looks decent enough, pre EoZ FTW!!!!! Beerus and Whis :D.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:01 am

I imagine it's been discussed to death already but why is Goku turning Super Saiyan I thought he couldn't anymore?

Michie
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Michie » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:02 am

I'm kinda disappointed Super takes place before EoZ.
Whatever happens in Super, nothing is going to have any lasting effects.

I'm not talking about character deaths, the Dragon Balls can wish someone back anyway.
However we can't have things like new characters, no new group dynamics, no things like another child for Gohan, ect.

edit:
I noticed a halo above King Kai. Wasn't he alive in BoG?