"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Vegard Aune » Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:46 am

Toei as a whole seems to have learned from early DBS. Like, say what you will about the storytelling in the Universe Survival arc, but I think one thing that can't really be denied is that the production did indeed manage to hold together throughout. And, yeah, they are clearly taking their time with Daima. While also putting out stuff like Adventure of Dai or modern One Piece which just... you don't get that kind of consistently high production quality without taking your time on it.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:41 am

Vegard Aune wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:46 am Toei as a whole seems to have learned from early DBS. Like, say what you will about the storytelling in the Universe Survival arc, but I think one thing that can't really be denied is that the production did indeed manage to hold together throughout. And, yeah, they are clearly taking their time with Daima. While also putting out stuff like Adventure of Dai or modern One Piece which just... you don't get that kind of consistently high production quality without taking your time on it.
True, we were discussing in that 1P live action thread how the shitty animation memes from Super and Sailor Moon Crystal hurt them BAD a decade ago. Maybe not so much the company's bottom line but their """"pride"""" for sure 'cause they defnitely are far more careful now in how they present their major productions, especially ones with a large worldwide following

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:53 pm

If the manga gets adapted, I have my idea for my choice for voice actors for the characters:

Moro: Hidekatsu Shibata (Japanese), Tony Todd (English)
Saganbo: Kōji Ishii (Japanese), Greg Dulcie (English)
Seven-Three: Fumihiko-Tachiki (Japanese), Aaron Roberts (English)
Mirus: Tōru Furuya (Japanese), Robbie Daymond (English)
Elec: Kōsuke Toriumi (Japanese), Josh Grelle (English)
Granolah: Noriaki Sugiyama (Japanese), Jason Liebrecht (English)
Macki: Maria Kawamura (Japanese), Colleen Clinkenbeard (English)
Oil: Hiroyuki Arita (Japanese), Patrick Seitz (English)
Gas: Hisao Egawa (Japanese), Jamieson Price (English)
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:57 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:53 pm If the manga gets adapted, I have my idea for my choice for voice actors for the characters:

Moro: Hidekatsu Shibata (Japanese), Tony Todd (English)
Saganbo: Kōji Ishii (Japanese), Greg Dulcie (English)
Seven-Three: Fumihiko-Tachiki (Japanese), Aaron Roberts (English)
Mirus: Tōru Furuya (Japanese), Robbie Daymond (English)
Elec: Kōsuke Toriumi (Japanese), Jessie James Grelle (English)
Granolah: Noriaki Sugiyama (Japanese), Jason Liebrecht (English)
Macki: Maria Kawamura (Japanese), Colleen Clinkenbeard (English)
Oil: Hiroyuki Arita (Japanese), Patrick Seitz (English)
Gas: Hisao Egawa (Japanese), Jamieson Price (English)
Grelle goes by Jessie James Grelle now. Their pronouns are they/she.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:24 am

My bad seeing that I was unaware of that. Thanks for the update. If I can edit my post, I would have Rick Robertson as Elc's Funimation dub voice actor.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:23 pm

So quick question. I see that Walmart sells DB Super Blu-rays. They look like bundle sets. My question is are these bundle sets the same as the individual "Part" (1-10) sets that were released a while back?

The same as in these sets contain the same Uncut Funi Super Dub and JPN Dub as the "part" sets?
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:14 pm

Vegard Aune wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:46 am Toei as a whole seems to have learned from early DBS. Like, say what you will about the storytelling in the Universe Survival arc, but I think one thing that can't really be denied is that the production did indeed manage to hold together throughout.
What Toei did with ToP doesn't get enough praise. The fact they were able to turn the ship around and provide a tournament with over 30 episodes of fighting scenes, without a single episode looking bad, is an incredible achievement for any studio out there.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:32 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:14 pm
Vegard Aune wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:46 am Toei as a whole seems to have learned from early DBS. Like, say what you will about the storytelling in the Universe Survival arc, but I think one thing that can't really be denied is that the production did indeed manage to hold together throughout.
What Toei did with ToP doesn't get enough praise. The fact they were able to turn the ship around and provide a tournament with over 30 episodes of fighting scenes, without a single episode looking bad, is an incredible achievement for any studio out there.
The turnaround already started in the previous arc.

The Future Trunks arc gave us a significant amount of fight sequences, the vast majority of which were beautiful, memorable, and entertaining (really, only ep. 62 and ep. 67 were kind of a let-down from a visual quality, but every arc of every anime will have some visually-disappointing fights).

The Future Trunks arc is when DBS started feeling like DBZ again, with one of the best introductory episode to an arc ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o3dgsc9faw

Ultimately, just the two arcs, the Future Trunks arc and Tournament of Power arc, are enough to consider Super a success. I do expect it to return down the line with the Animated Moro and Granolah arcs, and with all that they have learned during the hardships of Super's Season 1.

jjbgood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jjbgood » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:30 am

You do realise that this thread is about the continuation and possible announcements for Dragon Ball Super and not about Blu-ray content or praise for the animation quality of old arcs... right?
HOST AND FOUNDER OF THE GERMAN DRAGON BALL PODCAST "KAMEHAMEHA".
ADVISOR FOR THE GERMAN DUB OF DRAGON BALL SUPER.
FAN FOR OVER 20 YEARS.
https://kame-hame-ha.de/

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:38 am

jjbgood wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:30 am You do realise that this thread is about the continuation and possible announcements for Dragon Ball Super and not about Blu-ray content or praise for the animation quality of old arcs... right?
"Discussion" is literally in the thread's name.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:37 pm

jjbgood wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:30 am You do realise that this thread is about the continuation and possible announcements for Dragon Ball Super and not about Blu-ray content or praise for the animation quality of old arcs... right?
Find me the appropriate thread then I will re-post my question. Otherwise I still want an answer to my question.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:24 pm

GTx10 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:23 pm So quick question. I see that Walmart sells DB Super Blu-rays. They look like bundle sets. My question is are these bundle sets the same as the individual "Part" (1-10) sets that were released a while back?

The same as in these sets contain the same Uncut Funi Super Dub and JPN Dub as the "part" sets?
It's definitely going to be the same discs. At most Walmart might have their own packaging for them but honestly I would doubt that too. I can't say for sure but... I can't fathom it not being the same discs at least.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:42 pm

Finally! Thank you.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:37 pm

I could see Super coming back after Daima, but that's just a guess.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?