"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by sintzu » Sun May 10, 2015 12:22 pm

ZeroTheSuperSaiyan wrote:How can Broly come back when the new films and series are canon to the manga and Broly isn't canon
He can't but for some reason a good amount of fans want it to happen even though the character doesn't exist in canon.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun May 10, 2015 12:56 pm

I think as long as we have Toriyama involved, we don't have to worry about "The Return of Brolli: Part 4, 5 if you count the Kai stage show".

I mean, even GT for all its GTness knew not to bring Brolli back again (unless he's in the back ground of one of those Super 17 crowd scenes in which case I don't remember.)

Koyama's disparaging remarks about Beerus compared to his Brolli also help in keeping Brolli from returning, I think.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun May 10, 2015 1:04 pm

Chuquita wrote:I mean, even GT for all its GTness knew not to bring Brolli back again (unless he's in the back ground of one of those Super 17 crowd scenes in which case I don't remember.)
The only villain from the movies in GT was Final Form Coola.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun May 10, 2015 1:12 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I mean, even GT for all its GTness knew not to bring Brolli back again (unless he's in the back ground of one of those Super 17 crowd scenes in which case I don't remember.)
Coola's an interesting choice of Toei's. Thank you.
The one that stood out to me was Nappa, because I distinctly remember Vegeta destroying him without saying a word.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun May 10, 2015 1:15 pm

Chuquita wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Coola's an interesting choice of Toei's. Thank you.
The one that stood out to me was Nappa, because I distinctly remember Vegeta destroying him without saying a word.

Vegeta did speak, then Nappa shouted "Aah!" and Vegeta sent him back to the Otherworld.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sun May 10, 2015 1:18 pm

ZeroTheSuperSaiyan, there is no canon, and the canon debates are typically frowned upon this community, just for your information. We don't want to start this debate. It's only going to turn this into unnecessary mess in this thread.

I don't know if you're a long-time lurker that just joined the forum or are a new to this, but I'd like to offer a friendly advice. Your grammars are inconsistent. A word that starts the sentence should always start with a capitalize letter. Other than that you're all good. This forum is typically a strictly professional level in term of posting style. Of course, the effect of this rule is less pronounced than what was a few years ago, but the administrators still expect each of us to follow the rules. ^^;;
Cetra wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Coola's an interesting choice of Toei's. Thank you.
Vegeta did speak, then Nappa shouted "Aah!" and Vegeta sent him back to the Otherworld.
To be more specific, it goes something like this: "I see that your love for mindless destruction hasn't changed, even in Hell, Nappa! Get lost, unless you want me to kill you once again." Vegeta said that with a smirk face. :P
Last edited by DragonBalllKaiHD on Sun May 10, 2015 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun May 10, 2015 1:19 pm

Re: Nappa

I misremembered. I haven't seen GT since it aired on Toonami long ago.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sun May 10, 2015 1:27 pm

The official 30th anniversary site has put up a timeline of DB which goes from ancient Buu backstory all the way to EoZ.

http://db30th.com/into/into_nenpyo.html

Anime exclusive events are marked with a star symbol, except for BoG and RoF.
Last edited by Marco Polo on Sun May 10, 2015 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ZeroTheSuperSaiyan

Post by ZeroTheSuperSaiyan » Sun May 10, 2015 1:28 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:ZeroTheSuperSaiyan, there is no canon, and the canon debates are typically frowned upon this community, just for your information. We don't want to start this debate. It's only going to turn this into unnecessary mess in this thread.

I don't know if you're a long-time lurker that just joined the forum or are a new to this, but I'd like to offer a friendly advice. Your grammars are inconsistent. A word that starts the sentence should always start with a capitalize letter. Other than that you're all good. This forum is typically a strictly professional level in term of posting style. Of course, the effect of this rule is less pronounced than what was a few years ago, but the administrators still expect each of us to follow the rules. ^^;;
I'm new I don't normaly go on forums because on the ones I did people keep bringing this up and I got sick of it because I have mild dyslexia so my spelling and grammar are pretty bad but at least I can check my spelling online so I make less mistakes with that
Last edited by ZeroTheSuperSaiyan on Sun May 10, 2015 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sorry if my grammar and spelling are bad in my posts but please don't hold it against me I have dyslexia and the only reason I can spell as well as I do is because I learnt where the letters on the keyboard are

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Sun May 10, 2015 1:33 pm

But your posts are still unreadable. Especially for dyslectic like me.
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun May 10, 2015 1:49 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:There is no canon.
Based on Toriyama's interviews and recent work it's clear that he's only taking into account the stories that he wrote so there's clearly a canon that he's going by.

When you say there's no canon that means there's no rules that anyone who writes for the franchise has to follow and that's obviously wrong.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun May 10, 2015 1:52 pm

sintzu wrote:
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:There is no canon.
Based on Toriyama's interviews and recent work it's clear that he's only taking into account the stories that he wrote so there's clearly a canon that he's going by.

When you say there's no canon that means there's no rules that anyone who writes for the franchise has to follow and that's obviously wrong.

He is taking mainly into account what he remembers and that is normally what he wrote as that is easier. That is a difference as, while it leads to the same result, is a very important factor when it comes to this topic. It is simply a fact that only the "idea of an established continuity" exists in Dragon Ball but no absolute continuity that cannot surprise a fan tomorrow.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

EA575
Regular

Post by EA575 » Sun May 10, 2015 1:56 pm

Marco Polo wrote:The official 30th anniversary site has put up a timeline of DB which goes from ancient Buu backstory all the way to EoZ.

Great timing with all the canon discussion going on.
EDIT: I just realized this probably wasn't released today :oops:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun May 10, 2015 1:59 pm

Marco Polo wrote:The official 30th anniversary site has put up a timeline of DB which goes from ancient Buu backstory all the way to EoZ.

Haha, they including the Goku and Piccolo driving episode, cool! That is single handedly the best filler episode in anything ever.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun May 10, 2015 2:03 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:ZeroTheSuperSaiyan, there is no canon, and the canon debates are typically frowned upon this community, just for your information. We don't want to start this debate. It's only going to turn this into unnecessary mess in this thread.
There's no official canon, but fans believe stuff with the official author being involved with is consider to be canon just like how anime and manga franchises are. The Tenchi Muyo manga for example is written by a different author and is not consider to be canon by the fans. Besides Broli does not exist in the main timeline of the franchise given how none of his movies fit and the events of his movies where never reference again outside the films. I highly Broli will ever come back outside of video games unless Toei forces Toriyama to put him in.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Captain Space
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Captain Space » Sun May 10, 2015 2:49 pm

Chuquita wrote: Koyama's disparaging remarks about Beerus compared to his Brolli also help in keeping Brolli from returning, I think.
What's this now?
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun May 10, 2015 2:50 pm

The fact that GT is completely excluded when anime filler isn't says a lot.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Sun May 10, 2015 2:56 pm

Where are you seeing anime things related? I'm only seeing they covering the manga.

Cool to note there is no mention about Dragon Ball Minus (from what I can see), only Bardock/planet Vegeta/Age 737.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun May 10, 2015 2:58 pm

Dyno wrote:Where are you seeing anime things related? I'm only seeing they covering the manga.

Cool to note there is no mention about Dragon Ball Minus (from what I can see), only Bardock/planet Vegeta/Age 737.
Everything with a ☆ is an anime only event.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sun May 10, 2015 2:59 pm

Dyno wrote:Where are you seeing anime things related? I'm only seeing they covering the manga.

The anime things are preceded by a small star sign in text. They're not illustrated. Garlic Jr., Paikuhan, etc. are mentioned.

Jaco is mentioned too I think.