"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Basaku » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:57 pm

VegettoEX wrote:have no understanding of the animation industry
Understanding of the animation industry is in no way necessary to form an opinion on the animation one sees in front of them. And certinately shouldn't be used as an argument to excuse Toei for industry issues the company had a major hand in creating.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:59 pm

Chuquita wrote:Just read they're probably going to announce a new One Piece movie next week. Wound salt, but I guess it's to be expected. They haven't had a movie since 2012, so it's been a weirdly long amount of time since they've had one.

It makes me so sad though, because while I like One Piece, I don't like it enough at the expense of seeing Super suffer. :(
Its not like they haven't nothing. In the last years, everytime they didn't have a movie, they had a special OVA with movie lenght, at least:

2013 - Episode of Merry (1h:46)
2014 - 3D2Y (1h:47)
2015 - Episode of Sabo (1h:45)

Who needs movies, when you have specials with this lenght and still better animation than the weekly episodes. I don't feel sorry for them at all.
And in 2012 not only they had Film Z but another 2 specials: Episode of Luffy (1h:42) and Episode of Nami (1h;46).

If Toei brought Super to treat it like shit, its better to stop now.
Its the first DB series after 18 years, the entire world awaits for something good and not something like episode 5.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:30 pm

Basaku wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:have no understanding of the animation industry
Understanding of the animation industry is in no way necessary to form an opinion on the animation one sees in front of them. And certinately shouldn't be used as an argument to excuse Toei for industry issues the company had a major hand in creating.
If I meant that as a single item, I wouldn't have written that entire explanation as one sentence. Please don't misunderstand what I'm saying and please don't cherry-pick segments of the greater whole of my point.

Obviously you're allowed to be displeased with the product and you're obviously allowed to state that opinion. However, when you don't know ANYTHING about how it's made and you aren't even paying for it, maybe don't try to start a petition to have Toei executed because Goku got drawed up dumb.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:37 pm

Basaku wrote:Understanding of the animation industry is in no way necessary to form an opinion on the animation one sees in front of them. And certinately shouldn't be used as an argument to excuse Toei for industry issues the company had a major hand in creating.
Yeah, but it goes wrong when it leads to statements like "Toei is being cheap", "The staff does not care about DB", when the incident had nothing to do with budget or lack of care. Poor planning, too, but ultimately everything came down to lack of time. When you have almost 20 key animators working on an episode and a few outsiders mess up, even the skilled and respected animation supervisor the episode had couldn't salvage everything. Understanding how things work doesn't hurt.
I don't know what you mean by Toei having a major hand in creating those industry issues. When there's too much demand and lack of personel, they're no more to blame than any other Japanese studio.
FortuneSSJ wrote: Its not like they haven't nothing. In the last years, everytime they didn't have a movie, they had a special OVA with movie lenght, at least:

2013 - Episode of Merry (1h:46)
2014 - 3D2Y (1h:47)
2015 - Episode of Sabo (1h:45)

And in 2012 not only they had Film Z but another special: Episode of Luffy (1h:42)
2012 had another one, Episode of Nami. Those five specials were not ova, but primetime movies.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:51 pm

Edited. Forgot Episode of Nami.
Thanks!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:25 pm

Episode #5 was clearly meant to be a bigger episode, it simply didn't pan out that way thanks to poor planning. Tate Naoki and Ootsuka Ken are some serious names to bring to an episode, after all.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:45 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Noah wrote:That Bingo Dance needs to be filler, please Toriyama
I love the Bingo Dance. I want it to become even more over the top in Super.
It's the perfect opportunity to make him have two left feet :thumbup:

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:21 pm

The more and more I think about it, the more I feel like it's a good thing that so many people are upset (whether rightfully so or not). TOEI and the industry sort of need this as a wake up call. They get away with subpar work and poor animation on a lot of series, but when did it become a huge meme? When they did it to the new Dragon Ball anime. I think it goes to show how special this particular IP is to the world at large (including Japan, of course) and how everyone sort of feels the series deserves better.

Say what you will about the animation in this episode. Yes, DBZ had it's bad days too... but at it's best it was way better then the best Super has to offer. It's not like the digital animation is to blame, they just need better art in general. They could easily create animation that is far better then the original series if they wanted to, they have the tools at their disposal. Maybe the uproar about this episode will have some kind of impact on TOEI and the industry if for no other reason then it's embarrassing to them.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:48 pm

Not to be that guy and you raised a lot of good points bleed0range. But Toei probably don't care TO A DEGREE about international fans. In a way like no matter how much we complain. Toei probably know that we'll watch regardless

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:08 pm

A lot of this argument is based on heat-of-the-moment statements that don't necessarily reflect what is in all likelihood already planned for the future of the episode: corrections for the home video release. The first TV airing is nothing more than a viewing of a rough copy of the episode that had to be aired in time to meet contractual obligations.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:31 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Episode #5 was clearly meant to be a bigger episode, it simply didn't pan out that way thanks to poor planning. Tate Naoki and Ootsuka Ken are some serious names to bring to an episode, after all.
Just another reason why I don't lose my sleep thinking about the staff for each episode.
Seems like those 2 are great weapons and still most of the fight looks shit. Nothing is written on stone.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:36 pm

bleed0range wrote:The more and more I think about it, the more I feel like it's a good thing that so many people are upset (whether rightfully so or not). TOEI and the industry sort of need this as a wake up call. They get away with subpar work and poor animation on a lot of series, but when did it become a huge meme? When they did it to the new Dragon Ball anime. I think it goes to show how special this particular IP is to the world at large (including Japan, of course) and how everyone sort of feels the series deserves better.

Say what you will about the animation in this episode. Yes, DBZ had it's bad days too... but at it's best it was way better then the best Super has to offer. It's not like the digital animation is to blame, they just need better art in general. They could easily create animation that is far better then the original series if they wanted to, they have the tools at their disposal. Maybe the uproar about this episode will have some kind of impact on TOEI and the industry if for no other reason then it's embarrassing to them.
This shows again that DragonBall is loved all over the world and haves a huge fanbase, so I think its normal for some fans to get upset or say crazy stupid shit. In the end its good for DB to get so much attention, good or bad. Maybe some animators will be afraid to get known for bad animation after this tsunami of internet criticism and do their extra best on a personal level.

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:49 pm

shinmaru wrote:
bleed0range wrote:The more and more I think about it, the more I feel like it's a good thing that so many people are upset (whether rightfully so or not). TOEI and the industry sort of need this as a wake up call. They get away with subpar work and poor animation on a lot of series, but when did it become a huge meme? When they did it to the new Dragon Ball anime. I think it goes to show how special this particular IP is to the world at large (including Japan, of course) and how everyone sort of feels the series deserves better.

This shows again that DragonBall is loved all over the world and haves a huge fanbase, so I think its normal for some fans to get upset or say crazy stupid shit. In the end its good for DB to get so much attention, good or bad. Maybe some animators will be afraid to get known for bad animation after this tsunami of internet criticism and do their extra best on a personal level.
Yeah, it would be partially a good thing if it weren't for the fact that actually most of the fans generating memes and petitions don't have the slightest f******* idea what they're talking or even complaining about. I'd say 90% of those who somehow complained and kept complaining about the episode's animation to the point of the event reaching national news (!) did so either for mocking purposes or due to some sort of misplaced anger or sense of belonging to the Dragonball fandom.

There's no right way to look at the entire thing other than what we wrote about in-depth in the last page of this thread. It was completely blown out of proportion, just the way so many things are, in an age where most people don't even know what it is to live without the internet and when the way information - good or bad - is conveyed in the most uncontrollable and disproportionate possible and imaginable way.

This won't change anything in Toei's plans for the immediate/medium-term future of the series, the media/internet uproar already went away as quickly as it came, it was just another event of growth of misinformation/overreaction in an exponential way. It just happened to hit the Dragonball franchise this time. Nobody's even talking about it anymore, as predicted, it reached the point of saturation.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:27 am

I wonder how they will handle the SSJG Ritual and if they will bother to mention Tarble at all.
If they are retelling the movies, to flesh out things better and make it easy for new fans/fans that didn't watch the movies to get into this, I don't see any point to mention a pointless character from an OVA that wasn't released overseas.

Michie
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Michie » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:25 pm

I have watched hundreds of anime the last 5 years, none of them had animation like DBS episode 5. One poorly drawn episode isn't that dangerous but more could really hurt the franchise. If DBS becomes the joke of the industry people will stop buying the video games and merchandise.

I'm still hoping that DBS production started earlier because of problems with Digimon 3. Hopefully the quality picks up when they hit the universe 6 arc.

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:12 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:I wonder how they will handle the SSJG Ritual and if they will bother to mention Tarble at all.
If they are retelling the movies, to flesh out things better and make it easy for new fans/fans that didn't watch the movies to get into this, I don't see any point to mention a pointless character from an OVA that wasn't released overseas.
The way I've always viewed it, there are three possibilities: either they keep the ritual exactly the same (which requires one additional Saiya-jin, who could be Pan - with likely implications on her conception and age and even the last 3 episodes of DBZ - Tarble, who hasn't been totally discarded as a character with some potential since they actually (re)mentioned him in BoG, or - far-fetched scenarios - Bardock/King Vegeta/Raditz), or they change by decreasing the number of Saiya-jin needed by one, or they change the way the Super Saiya-jin God stage is achieved altogether, possibly turning it into something that is more akin to the other previous Super Saiya-jin stages, which build upon the last one and develop in an incremental basis, also making it possible for Goku (and Vegeta) to reach the stage through some sort of anger explosion + extremely advanced martial arts training without anyone else's help; Goku did mention in BoG he wasn't quite happy with the fact he couldnt' reach SSJG entirely by himself, although he did incorporate the stage's abilities later on (Vegeta, due to his obsessive pride, would probably have the same issue).

If I had to go with the most likely one, I'd go with the middle one: they keep the ritual, but actually Pan, or any other additional Saiya-jin, isn't in fact needed. The way they're keeping the story following BoG's accounts so closely leads one to believe they'll keep the ritual with only a few minor change or adaptation.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:40 pm

I really really hope we get a flashback for Tarble. :3
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

Mnich
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mnich » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:22 pm

They should bring back Raditz for this ritual. I would love to see his face when he finds out that Goku is now a radish farmer, haha.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:29 pm

So judging by the episode titles and how close this is staying to BOG, if I copy-paste BOG's summary from the main site the episodes will possibly look like:
Sources:
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/movie/battle-of-gods/
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2015/08/07/sa ... -schedule/
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:54 pm

I'm really looking forward watching Super today, still 2 hours to go tho