"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:16 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote:
The first punch Goku gave (before pushing Jiren through the mountains) was also defended, and Jiren himself was not surprised

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Jiren block, but we still sent flying. And Jiren was surprised by the Kamehameha Goku was charging.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:22 pm

HeroR wrote:
darzap wrote: I'm obviously aware of shows that have important characters dying, but that's not the point here since the premise of the tournament is that the universes are erased and you'll almost never expect the whole main cast of a show to die. But death being pretty inconsequential on Dragon Ball is a common joke, but that applies to almost every episode of the whole series.
That is kind of my point when I asked if EOZ never existed would you honestly feel U7 was in danger of losing.
JazzMazz wrote: Yes, I acknowledged that is what happened. However, that doesn't mean that Rose wasn't vastly stronger than him, and yes, surprise was the main element of that small attack, which Trunks used the leverage from to mount a counter attack that did no damage to Black. Also, I'm pretty sure that Kamehameha at the end of the episode wasn't meant to kill Goku, sure you could say that it should have done more damage to Trunks, but at that point, your being more pedantic than anything else, as it still incapacitated the both of them.

Again, what happened in episode 66 is an outlier, it doesn't suggest anything about Goku's real strength at the time in comparison to Vegeta's. Vegeta was stronger than Goku as Blue by #63, by how much is debateable. Goku pulling a Goku move and exerting more power than his body could physically withstand only suggests that Goku, by exerting more power than his capable of exerting normally, can output more power than Vegeta and Trunks can normally. Thats all that suggests.

In this current arc, the only thing that suggests Vegeta may be able to much up better than Goku is the fact that he trained. However, I would say since Goku has been pushing himself to constantly exert power beyond his limits, I think there is a high probability that he has surpassed Vegeta using his regular Super Saiyan Blue. However, at this point, it is merely speculation, next episode should confirm or dis-prove this claim though.
How was 66 an outlier when the show didn't show us how Goku compared to Vegeta to begin with other than, 'Vegeta should be stronger' according to fans. In 62, Goku was sure he could beat Black and Zamasu just by limiting their movements, nothing about training to get stronger before that moment. We even have Black saying that Goku would get stronger, meaning that Goku, despite not training after their first beatdown, got stronger. Unless Black is only counting Goku's rage boost, but I doubt that's the case.

If we go by Super's breathing episodes, Vegeta stopped training months before Goku did since Goku and Krillin were sparring partners since Vegeta blew him off on 65.
You mean 75.

Also, why would everyone be amazed at Vegeta's strength in #63 if it was still weaker than Gokus or if Goku was still the more capable fighter. I didn't see Black or Zamasu exclaiming at how powerful Goku had gotten in such a short time.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:27 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
HeroR wrote: You mean 75.

Also, why would everyone be amazed at Vegeta's strength in #63 if it was still weaker than Gokus or if Goku was still the more capable fighter. I didn't see Black or Zamasu exclaiming at how powerful Goku had gotten in such a short time.
Yes, that is what I meant.

Black was surprised that Vegeta got so much stronger and Goku didn't show any surprised over Vegeta's power. Goku was also only fighting Future Zamasu and no one said anything about Vegeta's power despite charging up along with Goku. It wasn't until he started to overwhelm Black that anyone said anything.

In fact, Zamasu's statement was such, 'He's being pushed back by Vegeta!?' almost like the shocked was more that Vegeta as a person reached that high since Black never took Vegeta seriously despite being more or less even with Goku.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:23 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:I wonder ... we've pretty much seen 17's most badass moment, and next couple of eps we undoubtedly get Vegeta's. I wonder if this means that 17 and Vegeta are the next ones out.

Could Gohan outlast Vegeta?
Although 17's scene from yesterday was a blast to watch i'd say that was more of a team effort. not to mention you forgot to say that Gohan also had several badass moments aswell. so he could be next to go aswell. when it comes to people remaining i don't see anyone potentially outlasting the other, they are all super strong, they all are heavily promoted and pushed to the front so yeah i don't think there will be enough moments for them. i could be wrong.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:32 pm

So, who's 17 gonna tem up with next episode? Or amaybe e's gonna pull a Frieza and just watch this?

Also, it's 0:30 here in England, so... : MERRY FUCKING CHRISTMAS, YA OTTAKU HEATHENS! :D
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:03 pm

Noah wrote:
The_Destroyer wrote:
TheOne wrote:If you don’t understand why U7 is performing so well, then your knowledge of the dragon ball universe is questionable.
So wanting more tension in an arc means I don't anything about Dragonball? Okay
My thoughts as well. Just because Universe 7 are the protagonists it doesn't mean we expected them to overcome everybody else with little to no difficulty. Up to now the Tournament of Power didn't felt like a big challenge to the likes of U7.
For starters this is an unnatural team that shouldn’t even exist. Everyone involved should’ve been wiped out long ago. Goku should be dead from a virus. Gohan, vegeta, Krillin etc. all should’ve died from the androids. Androids should’ve died by Trunks deactivating and Cell would’ve killed Trunks. There are so many scenarios that could happen, but assuming Cell survived an encounter with Dabura and Babidi, Buu would’ve been the strongest in U7. Which isn’t bad seeing as how most of the fighters weren’t Buu tier.

Seeing as how all these fighters are still around, they’ve grown stronger than they ever should’ve been. Powerful fighters that are much stronger than typical fighters. You can thank Trunks.

You wonder why majority of the fighters are fodder? It’s because this is a fight against...*drum roll*... The weakest universes. We already know strength plays some part in mortal level. This all started because Zeno was impressed by the level of fighting from U6 and U7. They had exceptional fighters.

It just so happens that U7 had a series of unnatural events (that should’ve never happened) that allowed them to maintain these level of fighters. It makes perfect sense if you think about it. I just get pissed when people complain about all these “fodder” when these universes are not worthy of staying around.This isn’t even the strongest team U7 could come up with.
How i predict the tournament will end:

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:08 pm

Merry Christmas, mates!
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:25 pm

TheOne wrote:
Noah wrote:
The_Destroyer wrote:
So wanting more tension in an arc means I don't anything about Dragonball? Okay
My thoughts as well. Just because Universe 7 are the protagonists it doesn't mean we expected them to overcome everybody else with little to no difficulty. Up to now the Tournament of Power didn't felt like a big challenge to the likes of U7.
For starters this is an unnatural team that shouldn’t even exist. Everyone involved should’ve been wiped out long ago. Goku should be dead from a virus. Gohan, vegeta, Krillin etc. all should’ve died from the androids. Androids should’ve died by Trunks deactivating and Cell would’ve killed Trunks. There are so many scenarios that could happen, but assuming Cell survived an encounter with Dabura and Babidi, Buu would’ve been the strongest in U7. Which isn’t bad seeing as how most of the fighters weren’t Buu tier.

Seeing as how all these fighters are still around, they’ve grown stronger than they ever should’ve been. Powerful fighters that are much stronger than typical fighters. You can thank Trunks.

You wonder why majority of the fighters are fodder? It’s because this is a fight against...*drum roll*... The weakest universes. We already know strength plays some part in mortal level. This all started because Zeno was impressed by the level of fighting from U6 and U7. They had exceptional fighters.

It just so happens that U7 had a series of unnatural events (that should’ve never happened) that allowed them to maintain these level of fighters. It makes perfect sense if you think about it. I just get pissed when people complain about all these “fodder” when these universes are not worthy of staying around.This isn’t even the strongest team U7 could come up with.
So you say mortal level takes strength into account, okay then, why is Universe 7 2nd to the bottom, yet they dominate Universes much higher than them. Hell there is no confirmation whatsoever about mortal level being related to strength.

So why cant their be an unaturally strong mutant in another universe(Frieza)? Or man made androids with the power to destroy planets(and there were)? Or people who went through similar journeys as our protaginsts?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:38 pm

The_Destroyer wrote: So you say mortal level takes strength into account, okay then, why is Universe 7 2nd to the bottom, yet they dominate Universes much higher than them. Hell there is no confirmation whatsoever about mortal level being related to strength.

So why cant their be an unaturally strong mutant in another universe(Frieza)? Or man made androids with the power to destroy planets(and there were)? Or people who went through similar journeys as our protaginsts?
Freeza is an ungodly mutant who was born the strongest mortal in the universe. Goku and Vegeta were personally trained by an angel. Gohan is well Gohan and 17 is a modified human who isn't naturally that strong. Also keep in mind, if the events of Namek never happened, Namek Saga Freeza would still be the strongest mortal in U7 with only Majin Buu surpassing him. Goku and Vegeta would have never gotten as strong as they had if they never met Beerus, which only happened because of Beerus' dream about a Super Saiyan God.

Also, the universes not in the tournament expressed surprised that lower universes could have strong fighters. The Grand Priest more or less said the same thing in 80. So while mortal level may not be directly connect to power level, there seems to be at least an indirect connection.

Frost was stronger than Resurrection 'F' Freeza since his third form could keep up and pushed base form Goku. The same base form that got almost four years of additional training and was stronger than true form Freeza before then. We also had the U3 robots give the base forms Saiyans a hard time when they finally got serious. Moona from U4 overwhelmed Super Saiyan Cabba whose base form was equal to Vegeta during the Champa Saga, the same base form that no sold Super Saiyan 3 Gotenks. U2's final pushed created a black hole.

I can go on, but the point is that these universes did have strong fighters who would have smashed U7 into pieces if they didn't have a series of events happened. One of the including time travel that altered the timeline.
Kanassa wrote:

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:42 pm

The_Destroyer wrote:
TheOne wrote:
Noah wrote:

So you say mortal level takes strength into account, okay then, why is Universe 7 2nd to the bottom, yet they dominate Universes much higher than them. Hell there is no confirmation whatsoever about mortal level being related to strength.

Because there’s only 28 planets with life? We don’t know all that entails in calculating Mortal Levels. There have been multiple comments from the exempt universes (mainly U1) about being impressed with the level of fighters from these lower universes. They have made several back handed compliments to the fighters in the arena. How do you not remember this?

What part of “unnatural” situations happening did you not understand in my previous post? They were breaking the laws of the universe by time traveling. If it wasn’t for breaking the time traveling law, they’d be in the same boat as everyone else.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:45 pm

HeroR wrote:
The_Destroyer wrote: So you say mortal level takes strength into account, okay then, why is Universe 7 2nd to the bottom, yet they dominate Universes much higher than them. Hell there is no confirmation whatsoever about mortal level being related to strength.

Freeza is an ungodly mutant who was born the strongest mortal in the universe. Goku and Vegeta were personally trained by an angel. Gohan is well Gohan and 17 is a modified human who isn't naturally that strong. Also keep in mind, if the events of Namek never happened, Namek Saga Freeza would still be the strongest mortal in U7 with only Majin Buu surpassing him. Goku and Vegeta would have never gotten as strong as they had if they never met Beerus, which only happened because of Beerus' dream about a Super Saiyan God.

Also, the universes not in the tournament expressed surprised that lower universes could have strong fighters. The Grand Priest more or less said the same thing in 80. So while mortal level may not be directly connect to power level, there seems to be at least an indirect connection.

Frost was stronger than Resurrection 'F' Freeza since his third form could keep up and pushed base form Goku. The same base form that got almost four years of additional training and was stronger than true form Freeza before then. We also had the U3 robots give the base forms Saiyans a hard time when they finally got serious. Moona from U4 overwhelmed Super Saiyan Cabba whose base form was equal to Vegeta during the Champa Saga, the same base form that no sold Super Saiyan 3 Gotenks. U2's final pushed created a black hole.

I can go on, but the point is that these universes did have strong fighters who would have smashed U7 into pieces if they didn't have a series of events happened. One of the including time travel that altered the timeline.
HeroR. I think this is the first time we totally agreed on something lol

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:47 pm

TheOne wrote:
The_Destroyer wrote:
TheOne wrote:

Because there’s only 28 planets with life? We don’t know all that entails in calculating Mortal Levels. There have been multiple comments from the exempt universes (mainly U1) about being impressed with the level of fighters from these lower universes. They have made several back handed compliments to the fighters in the arena. How do you not remember this?
If we dont know all the details about Mortal Level then maybe stop using it then? Besides the backhanded compliments, majority of what you said is mere headcanon and is not stated in the show. Maybe people would accept it more if what you said was said by the grand priest or whis or Anat or whatever. I know I wouldn't though, because I'm sick of the fodder stomps and want more fights like the one we just got in 121.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:52 pm

TheOne wrote:
HeroR. I think this is the first time we totally agreed on something lol
Law of averages. It had to happened eventually.
Kanassa wrote:

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:07 am

The_Destroyer wrote:
TheOne wrote:
The_Destroyer wrote:

If we dont know all the details about Mortal Level then maybe stop using it then? Besides the backhanded compliments, majority of what you said is mere headcanon and is not stated in the show. Maybe people would accept it more if what you said was said by the grand priest or whis or Anat or whatever. I know I wouldn't though, because I'm sick of the fodder stomps and want more fights like the one we just got in 121.
Since you’re tired of “fodder stomps” you’re not going to agree with anything? You reduced my statements (which were facts) to headcannon? You had HeroR validate pretty much what I said verbatim and you refuse to acknowledge you’re wrong? Gotcha.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:24 am

HeroR wrote:
TheSaiyanGod wrote:
The first punch Goku gave (before pushing Jiren through the mountains) was also defended, and Jiren himself was not surprised

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Jiren block, but we still sent flying. And Jiren was surprised by the Kamehameha Goku was charging.
The point here is that Goku did not hit an attack on Jiren.
Goku SSB managed to make Jiren fly through several mountains with a punch, but Jiren defended the blow and he was not surprised by that.
Vegeta in the preview really hits a blow on Jiren.

And Jiren is surprised by Kamehameha, but he deflects easily (it seems he was more surprised not to expect the attack than by the power).

With Final Flash, he seems much more surprised, almost scared. And apparently will need to defend the attack

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:30 am

TheOne wrote:
Since you’re tired of “fodder stomps” you’re not going to agree with anything? You reduced my statements (which were facts) to headcannon? You had HeroR validate pretty much what I said verbatim and you refuse to acknowledge you’re wrong? Gotcha.
Another thing I want to note about U7 domination is that a lot of it is also caused by chemistry of the U7 team. While everyone on U7 are lone wolves by heart who don't really like to work together, they have a unique bond since all of them, except Freeza, are comrades, friends, or family members who have fought and died with each other on the battlefield. They all also lived in one place. For the most part, the other universes seemed to be stitched together from finding the strongest people in their universe or the people with the best gimmicks, looking at you U4 and U10.

The universes that lasted the longest or were at least somewhat successfully had this bond to an extent. U6 had the Namekians and the Saiyan girls along with the original team from the Champa Saga that somewhat bonded. I mean, Frost and Magetta were able to work together and nearly take down Vegeta. U3 had the doctor who could fused with his creations. U2 with the magical girls. In terms of overall unison, only the Pride Troopers rivals U7 in this aspect.

U9 is the only one that really falls short despite the Trio De Danger being one group, but that was mostly because they attacked U7 in full force because of their grudge along with being fairly weak.
TheSaiyanGod wrote: The point here is that Goku did not hit an attack on Jiren.
Goku SSB managed to make Jiren fly through several mountains with a punch, but Jiren defended the blow and he was not surprised by that.
Vegeta in the preview really hits a blow on Jiren.

And Jiren is surprised by Kamehameha, but he deflects easily (it seems he was more surprised not to expect the attack than by the power).

With Final Flash, he seems much more surprised, almost scared. And apparently will need to defend the attack
Goku did hit an attack, it just got block, but it still had enough forced to sent Jiren flying. It wasn't like what Jiren did to Super Saiyan God Goku.

Jiren didn't deflect the Kamehameha, he outright dodged it. He didn't even try to tank it despite Goku not even charging it that long.
Kanassa wrote:

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:12 am

TheOne wrote:
The_Destroyer wrote:
TheOne wrote:
Okay, you're right. Universe 7 only got strong because certain events played out the way did. I get that. But could they not have played out similarly in another Universe? Could there not have been a threat that simultaneously occured while Universe 7's events were playing out that caused equally strong fighters to rise. I mean, we do need fodder in the tournament, but not consistent fodder stomps. They sort of did this with Universe 9, with the Trio explaining how they got strong through their struggles. Also, Super's powerscaling is incredibly wonky. If we go by it, tons of fighters should be able to beat buu. But,I mean, should they?

I guess we're looking at this wrong way here. What you said can be true and we can reduce the number of fodder stomps as well. Should fodder stomps not exist? Well, everyone should at least get one cool moment, so I guess not. But this can be fixed by having better matchups, like instead of fighting Goku or Vegeta, have that person fight Piccolo instead. Or just raise their power up a bit. We don't know what those guys have been through either. If the ToP took place during the time of Frieza's regin, for all we know a lot of these guys would be weaker.

The Headcanon comment was wrong of me, I apologize. Sometimes we can make logical conclusions based on what's given to us, I actually do it all the time too, so it was hyporcritical of me to do so. I still stand by the idea of Whis saying what you said,as to why a Universe with such a low mortal level can dominate.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:18 am

You know, if Universe 3 was capable of making a robot suit as strong as a god of destruction when an imp pilots it, it sure would have been handy to add a few of those to their team..
Imp god must have had some spares lying around, no man goes without spares when the machine he pilots is his life..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:07 am

[spoiler]
The_Destroyer wrote:
TheOne wrote:
The_Destroyer wrote:
Okay, you're right. Universe 7 only got strong because certain events played out the way did. I get that. But could they not have played out similarly in another Universe? Could there not have been a threat that simultaneously occured while Universe 7's events were playing out that caused equally strong fighters to rise. I mean, we do need fodder in the tournament, but not consistent fodder stomps. They sort of did this with Universe 9, with the Trio explaining how they got strong through their struggles. Also, Super's powerscaling is incredibly wonky. If we go by it, tons of fighters should be able to beat buu. But,I mean, should they?

I guess we're looking at this wrong way here. What you said can be true and we can reduce the number of fodder stomps as well. Should fodder stomps not exist? Well, everyone should at least get one cool moment, so I guess not. But this can be fixed by having better matchups, like instead of fighting Goku or Vegeta, have that person fight Piccolo instead. Or just raise their power up a bit. We don't know what those guys have been through either. If the ToP took place during the time of Frieza's regin, for all we know a lot of these guys would be weaker.

The Headcanon comment was wrong of me, I apologize. Sometimes we can make logical conclusions based on what's given to us, I actually do it all the time too, so it was hyporcritical of me to do so. I still stand by the idea of Whis saying what you said,as to why a Universe with such a low mortal level can dominate.
[/spoiler]
There is no reason for the other universes to not have contestants like U7.

First,U7=/=equal to any other universe.It has a hakaishin that sleeps most of time,one that destroys civilizations on his whims and food.It faced a universal genocide thanks to a ancient demon.It was ravaged by freeza and saiyans.It has a kaioshin who does not know shit.

Second,mortal level may not equate to strength but it should play a part in increasing their strengths.After all,the whole multiverse is focused on martial arts and a higher mortal level should provide more chances.It also appears that outside of U7 and U10 the gods are much closer to mortals which means that they could be guided in a similar way like goku.

Third,let's put in universe logic aside.There should be stronger or more trickier opponents the same way after the defeat of the strongest being freeza,there was king cold,Android 20/19/18/17/16,buu,dabura,shin,beerus and whis.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:54 am

Hawk9211 wrote:[spoiler]
The_Destroyer wrote:
TheOne wrote:

[/spoiler]
There is no reason for the other universes to not have contestants like U7.

First,U7=/=equal to any other universe.It has a hakaishin that sleeps most of time,one that destroys civilizations on his whims and food.It faced a universal genocide thanks to a ancient demon.It was ravaged by freeza and saiyans.It has a kaioshin who does not know shit.

Second,mortal level may not equate to strength but it should play a part in increasing their strengths.After all,the whole multiverse is focused on martial arts and a higher mortal level should provide more chances.It also appears that outside of U7 and U10 the gods are much closer to mortals which means that they could be guided in a similar way like goku.

Third,let's put in universe logic aside.There should be stronger or more trickier opponents the same way after the defeat of the strongest being freeza,there was king cold,Android 20/19/18/17/16,buu,dabura,shin,beerus and whis.

Now I have 2 problems with your second point.

1. Mortal level playing a part in increasing strength makes no sense, because everybody is different and reacts to environments differently. If you put 2 weak fighters in a harsh environment, one may get stronger and the other may die and if you put them in good environments, one may get stronger while the other may get weaker. This happens to Gohan all the time whenever there is peace.

2. kaioshins aren't very strong, zamasu was said to be the strongest and Goku could have easily beaten him and Hakoshins aren't mentors, they are basically governors. I doubt, they would train them. Goku isn't even being trained by Beerus but by Whis.

Now I have one problem with your last point.

1. Who says all these guys are the strongest? this is dragon ball, whenever have we ever stuck to this guy remaining the strongest. Even Beerus will be surpassed one day.