"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ThatGuyNamedChancey
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by ThatGuyNamedChancey » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:04 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Well if SSGSS is a form that combines both forms then it makes normal SSj useless now. Toriyama said Goku has already absorbed Super Saiyan God’s power and made it his own. Why use normal SSj when you have a much stronger form to use.
We don't know. It's hard to get the exact timeframe this takes place due to this being a commercial. But despite what we see in it, nothing really specifically points it taking place pre-RoF like some people are saying. Perhaps Goku is showing off his power or something like that. Again, we don't know.
I tend not to post here anymore because what I say doesn't add to the conversation.

Piririn
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Piririn » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:05 pm

The problem is that the trailer, while short, shows that instead of moving forward into new territory they're playing it safe and keeping the cast almost entirely frozen in time. It's like DB has become another Pokemon: rehashing old formulas and being devoid of significant change. Honestly, are Goten and Trunks going to be funny if they act the same way they did in the Buu saga? If Goten, especially, is the same, he'll come across like he's suffering from brain damage.

I'm hoping that maybe, just maybe, it'll skip forward soon. That tomorrow's info will reveal that this is just a brief recap or mini-saga or whatever. But I'm not optimistic. :(

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:06 pm

Ushabtis wrote:I'm hoping super starts off as the Goten and Trunks show. I'd love to see some Dragon Ball style adventures with them collecting something.
Lord Beerus wrote:I'm honestly not sure about either question you asked. Like I said, Toriyama is the sort of guy who if sees a very popular character, he most likely end up killing off that character or have him/her job out for shits and giggles. He's quite trollish. He could very well ending up going decades past EOZ during Super, just for the hell of it.
yet Goku still going strong and hes very popular. :)
Give Toriyama time. He'll kill Goku off. He's done it before, he'll do it again. :P

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:07 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Give Toriyama time. He'll kill Goku off. He's done it before, he'll do it again. :P
to come back and steal the show again... :oops:
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:08 pm

Yikes, I hope this isn't indicative of what the weekly threads are gonna be like! Weekly emotionally charged posts wher—okay, maybe I did that with Kai for a year. Anyway, I'm just surprised that the return of our favourite TV series is being met with such disdain by a few members here. Glad to see a good chunk of us are still in wonderland, and are just happy that we're back in business!

I'm over the moon that this preview appears to be in line with Battle of Gods over Revival of 'F'. Don't get me wrong, the latter is an enjoyable watch, but it feels so far removed from the point we're at in the series. I think Dragon Ball needs to be bright and happy on the whole at this point. Dips into darkness should be reserved for the worst of the worst, and I felt that Revival of 'F' fell far too deep for its own good. I really hope Super will be structurally on point.

It seems my recording is the highest quality out there, currently, though I'm downloading the proper TV rip, so I'll upload a nice high-bitrate version of the trailer shortly. In the mean time, here's some frames from the trailer itself:

Full Album: http://imgur.com/a/h9ND7

Though JulieYBM is right, there's little in the way of proper animation, I do really like the framing of that opening transformation. All the dutch angles are so indicative of Chioka's touch. It's little bits like that that make me somewhat hopeful. Even if the animation itself is fairly standard, I'll be pretty content if the framing is interesting.

Lastly, I want to comment on the opening track! I really like it, though it sounds a little lacking in energy compared to "Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go". I think that may be because the snippet is from the tail end of the song. You don't want it overpowering what dialogue is in the trailer, so I imagine it's deliberate choice. Hopefully we'll get some insight into that soon should they reveal the full song.

I'm happy! I really am. This looks like the show I love, and I can't wait to see it. I'm just feeling a little bittersweet that I'll be on a plane to Japan as the show airs its first episode. At least I'll be able to catch episodes 2 and 3 live out there!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

EA575
Regular

Post by EA575 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:08 pm

Ushabtis wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Give Toriyama time. He'll kill Goku off. He's done it before, he'll do it again. :P

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:08 pm

Lapis wrote:Damnn.. How I wished Trunks looked like this

Anyway the PV looked fine. I just hope something really dark and exciting will happen. I was hoping this series would do something entirely different from DB and DBZ. Comedy is fine but please don't let it ruin the mood.
That reminds me, one of the absolute worst parts of DBZ was Mr. Satan in the Cell Games. That's an example of how not to use comedy in a story. :?

Also, yeah, I wish Trunks looked like that. It's weird... they should only be a year apart by F. >.>
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:10 pm

MagicBox wrote:- I can't help but get the feeling that a lot of people watching this don't really get how TV works. Complaining about how we have to wait until the end of the episode to see the preview, and about how it was only (the standard) 15 seconds. I have no idea what people were expecting. You can't fit something the length of a movie trailer into a half-hour timeslot without messing everything up. We all knew about this from the get-go. If you expected something more substantial, that's not the promo's fault. It's all you. The website update coming tomorrow is where they'll really get the chance to dive deep.
It's funny that i posted twice here, during the day, how it would be 15 seconds, that expectations should be low as every tv promo is like that, and it would tell us pretty much nothing. Ditto.

It's not wrong to criticize anything, of course, opinions are absolutely free and subjective.
But raging and whining while under a complete ignorance of context isn't intelligent, to say the least.
It leads to failed assumptions like "oh noes Goku is SSJ so can't be after RoF" "Goku is using SSJ to open a crater wtf lol", when there's absolutely nothing we know about the context or time period of that scene, not to mention it was never stated that he can't use that form again.
How can people not be annoyed by this kind of whining? It's legit.
Last edited by Araki on Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:10 pm

EA575 wrote:Does Toriyama know people want him to continue after Z? Does the Japanese fanbase even want him to continue past Z?
I bet Toriyama intentionally made the End of Z ages/cast unappealing to himself to make himself be firm in his quitting. He was tired of DB at that point, and probably knew Shueisha would try and make him stay, so to reduce any temptations of staying, he probably made the cast too old for his interest/gave some of them designs he didn't like, all to make himself not ever want to come back.

Which would work when he didn't want to come back, but backfire when he did eventually regain interest in the series.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:11 pm

Ushabtis wrote:
Well that's kinda how it is. You can't expect anything good from the cast beyond tidbits. Unlike a western comic where they usually try to take more interest in expanding all of it's characters, Dragon Ball cares more about those with power. When Piccolo was the most powerful, he had more focus than Goku. Then Vegeta had more focus than Goku as he was the strongest. Then Gohan did as he was the strongest. Then Vegetto, etc. Goku could die, but he probably will bounce back. They killed Vegeta, and Goku bounced back for him too. So we have no idea what to expect....ok we do have some preconceptions.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:14 pm

Alright, here's a direct rip of the trailer. None of that stream-rip nonsense that was around before!

Enjoy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEcSYr8m9Wc

Also, I absolutely adore these three shots:
When the dusk kicks up around him. Love it!
Last edited by Ajay on Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:16 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
NeoKING wrote:
SSJ2FutureGohan wrote:Just watched the trailer, and... Goku has regular Super Saiyan...? Someone explain...? (I'm not complaining, just curious.
Why would he not?
Well if SSGSS is a form that combines both forms then it makes normal SSj useless now. Toriyama said Goku has already absorbed Super Saiyan God’s power and made it his own. Why use normal SSj when you have a much stronger form to use.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this was never said anywhere.

SSJ3 is stronger than SSJ, yet Goku still uses SSJ all the time.
Last edited by NeoKING on Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:16 pm

So Goten and Trunks still were brats in Super? What is the problem with Toriyama? Why he can't age the duo? Damn it

I don't know how that can be called a "new series" since the time set is still on "Z timeline" and probably they pretend to end at EoZ, hell yeah? I'm could say I'm kinda disappointed

Edit: Watched the teaser and liked that Goku still transforms into a regular Super Saiyan, the classic, the best... SSJGSSJ is just a lame variation in terms of design
Last edited by Noah on Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:17 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote: That reminds me, one of the absolute worst parts of DBZ was Mr. Satan in the Cell Games. That's an example of how not to use comedy in a story. :?
I found Mr Satan to be annoying in the Cell Games and I think that was the point.
although the funny parts he had were good, like when he was fighting cell and then got throwed off of the arena and his reaction to 16's head talking. :lol:
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:18 pm

I wonder what role Mr Satan will bring to Super? He seems to be excited about something when Buu walked in on him. Kinda surprised he was even in the trailer when characters like Krillin and Master Roshi weren't
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:20 pm

Source: https://twitter.com/CaptainTipper

So much yes. X3

I actually wouldn't mind if this is in-between BOG and F, if only because:
-Vegeta forcing everyone to make him a ssjg scene
-Bulma explaining the finer points of the new armor she made for Vegeta to him.
-Gokû and Vegeta first arriving on Beerus' and Whis' planet
-getting to see what their accommodations are like (they sleep in bunk-beds with Gokû on top bunk because he won rock paper scissors against Vegeta for it is my head-canon until proven otherwise).

Only thing I'd miss if this is there instead of directly after F is I lose that incredibly interesting (to me) "hey, Vegeta and Gokû are actually on good terms with each other now, let's see where this goes/how long this lasts".

I did want that EoZ Goten design; I guess his intro-outfit is an ok door prize; oh well.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytical Delusion » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:27 pm

Gold haired SSJ and Goten/Trunks not having aged are reasons for pause, though I'm not going to overreact just yet. I do think in retrospect, it was a mistake to rush things along so much (I think 5 years passed between the Boo arc and the JSAT special?), because that shrunk the workable window pre-EoZ, if they're sticking with it.

Pretty happy with the likely time frame (unless a recap episode was previewed, which would be pretty cool) relatively speaking though, gives hope that EoZ will be retconned or revamped (nothing against the content, but I don't like when epilogues to anime/manga feel rushed or tacked on).

New content coming soon though. Hype through the roof!

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:28 pm

Beerus-sama wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote: That reminds me, one of the absolute worst parts of DBZ was Mr. Satan in the Cell Games. That's an example of how not to use comedy in a story. :?
I found Mr Satan to be annoying in the Cell Games and I think that was the point.
although the funny parts he had were good, like when he was fighting cell and then got throwed off of the arena and his reaction to 16's head talking. :lol:
Okay, those two parts were brilliant and added to everything going on. The rest detracted from the action, and I hated it with a passion.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Lapis

Post by Lapis » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:31 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Alright, here's a direct rip of the trailer. None of that stream-rip nonsense that was around before!

Enjoy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEcSYr8m9Wc

Also, I absolutely adore these three shots:
When the dusk kicks up around him. Love it!
Thanks! looks much better. Gotta love that frog view camera angle we didn't get to see that much in the prequels.
fadeddreams5 wrote:That reminds me, one of the absolute worst parts of DBZ was Mr. Satan in the Cell Games. That's an example of how not to use comedy in a story. :?

Also, yeah, I wish Trunks looked like that. It's weird... they should only be a year apart by F. >.>
Yeah the Mr Satan scenes were pretty funny, but they took too much screen time imo. I don't think that should happen when there is an intense fight going on.

SRB2Unleashed
Regular

Post by SRB2Unleashed » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:38 pm

Here's an analysis video I made of the teaser. I HATE my voice so go easy on me :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auWHA9V ... e=youtu.be
GT isn't bad, just sucks ass in comparison to the other 2 animes.

Subscribe to me on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ImmaKrillinYT