"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

fexus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by fexus » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:32 am

Bullza wrote:I imagine it's been discussed to death already but why is Goku turning Super Saiyan I thought he couldn't anymore?
This is the main problem here. People thought. It wasn't anywhere stated in the movie nor in any existing material. Assumptions are the main enemy.
I ask thou, WHY MUST IT BE ME?
Your weakness is your strength.
Are you reading this? If you are, I just want to let you know that I'm a GREAT GUY. :lol:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:32 am

If this is set before FNF then hopefully Vegeta will use Ssj3 before getting Ssjg.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SSJGFrieza
Banned

Post by SSJGFrieza » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:40 am

sintzu wrote:If this is set before FNF then hopefully Vegeta will use Ssj3 before getting Ssjg.
Then why didn't he use it against Beerus?, F is only a year after BoG

Let's face it Super will suck because it's not after EoZ
Linda Young 4 lyfe

ChiChiFan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ChiChiFan » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:45 am

Nickolaidas wrote:
Also, about the comments of the RR Ribbon and Daimaoh arc and hell, all of DB combine being more serious than Z, it's probably because of target audience. DB was for 13-15 year olds, DBZ was for 7-12. And given the vibe of the new movies, I doubt that Dragon Ball Super is intended to be watched by 30-year olds who grew up with the show. It's probably intented for a much younger audience. Hence the need to have Kid Goten and Kid Trunks jerking around in order for the show to strike the right chords with the kiddies. Frankly, I have *no* idea where the android/Cell saga came from, but that golden age is gone and is never coming back.

Guys, I'm going to be straight with you. If you feel the show has gotten 'silly' ... it hasn't. You're just 'too old for this shit'. Seriously, 95% of the people in those boards do not fit the target demographic of the show, so don't expect the show to be 'everything you hoped for'. I'm referring to the people here who expect Super to be rich with dark moments, serious storytelling, meaningful characters etc etc. It won't. It's a show for kids. A show for kids being kids.Everyone in those boards has a manchild in him/her, clamoring to get out, and that's fine. But having unrealistic expectations (such as believing the show grew up alongside you) is naïve at best. Honestly, do you take seriously a story where the supposed God of Destruction halts his urges to blow up stuff in order to eat ice cream sundae? That's the show's silliness at full force, take it for what it is. The show hasn't matured one bit, so don't expect it too. Again, I'm not saying that's a bad thing. I'm saying *that* is DB and always will be.

About the trailer itself, it's safe to assume they're sticking with the Buu philosophy (there will be action, but good guys and bad guys will be ridiculed at regular intervals, preventing the viewer from taking the show seriously). Goku is taking front stage with Vegeta sticking close by, but we can expect to see other characters for filler moments or gawk like idiots when the full-blooded saiyan duo takes on the next challenge. And there's definitely going to be a villain. It ain't DBZ without one.
All of this. DB and DBZ was never meant to be taken seriously in the first place.

ChiChiFan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ChiChiFan » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:46 am

The trailer does have me pretty excited. Hope the series is good.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:50 am

SSJGFrieza wrote:
Then why didn't he use it against Beerus?, F is only a year after BoG

Let's face it Super will suck because it's not after EoZ
He either didn't have it or it takes him to long to transform into it.

The 1st arc might be set before FNF even though they said a villain stronger then Freeza would be in it so it looks like it'll be set in more then 1 time frame which means there's still a chance we'll get something set after EOZ.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:09 am

So Majin Buu, Goten & Trunks manage to show their faces in this 16 second promo but they just couldn't be bothered to show up in Resurrection F :P

saunasolmu
Beyond Newbie

Post by saunasolmu » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:17 am

When can we expect leaks from the manga? It's coming out in a week, right?

Captain Space
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Captain Space » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:19 am

SSJGFrieza wrote: Let's face it Super will suck because it's not after EoZ
That's quite an assumption. Did you think the anniversary special, BoG and RF all sucked?
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:35 am

GTx10 wrote:
Retan wrote:
GTx10 wrote:The end of the trailer when Goku has his hand behind his head, laughing; couldn't that be Lord Kaio's world? Its got the same pink hue background.

Could be, could infact be the old King Kai crashes into Goku with his Car, while Goku is the one who's laughing and sorry about it.
:lol: That sounds so perfectly Dragon Ball that, that may indeed be the case!
It sounds like it could be a callback to one of the eye catches in the Buu Arc:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbqUMCrA3e0#t=39s

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:37 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:It's entirely possible Gokuu's hair and aura will be re-colored for the actual episode.
I wouldn't rule out Toei doing that. They've done it in the past:
That is filler and is done for a different reason. They wanted to keep Ssj a suprise for the battle with Paikuhan

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:42 am

shinmaru wrote:That is filler and is done for a different reason. They wanted to keep Ssj a suprise for the battle with Paikuhan
If Super happens before RoF then it's basically filler too.

Low Tone G

Post by Low Tone G » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:00 am

I watched the trailer... Just as I thought... It's place right after the Majin Buu saga. I don't even think it takes place after Yo! Son Goku. Goku is described as a farmer in that special, so think the first episodes will dive into the every day lives of our heroes. But I think it should occur a time skip as we can see Whis and Beeru(becasuse Beerus has been sleeping during the Yo! Son Goku period. I think in the shot when Goku goes Super Saiyan it might mean that he starts to get bored because of no challenge. I think some of the episodes will take place in between Majin Buu Arc and Yo Son Goku and after a time skip they will pick up after Resurrection [F](as Beerus has been sleeping in between BoG and R[F]).
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

Cold Cobra
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Cold Cobra » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:01 am

Fun trailer, plenty to speculate about. Gohan and Kuririn's hair seems to suggest its pre-'F', even if you ignore Goku's golden hair. Beerus and Whis seems to suggest that it's after BoG, so... I'm guessing it fills in some details about what happened in the year in between, or it happens before and the BoG movie gets worked into the plot of the show, but it would be a little weird to start the show and then say "and then the first movie happened" only an episode or two into it!
Er.... No.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:01 am

Ah, ha, ha, ha, ha ...

Gohan cannot turn Super Saiyajin!
Son-Goku cannot!

Oh, fans ... how much I love Dragon Ball Super right now.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:06 am

Cold Cobra wrote:Fun trailer, plenty to speculate about. Gohan and Kuririn's hair seems to suggest its pre-'F', even if you ignore Goku's golden hair. Beerus and Whis seems to suggest that it's after BoG, so... I'm guessing it fills in some details about what happened in the year in between, or it happens before and the BoG movie gets worked into the plot of the show, but it would be a little weird to start the show and then say "and then the first movie happened" only an episode or two into it!
Kuririn isn't in the trailer, he is in the Kai ending art that's shown in every episode.

BeholdeR

Post by BeholdeR » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:06 am

Funny how everyone is crying about it not being after EoZ.. its an series, have anyone of you thought about '' hmm, maybe they start with the current age and later on in the sries move forward and introduce adult trunks and goten again ''

.. ^_^
fadeddreams5 wrote:If Gohan fights, he is 100% getting knocked the **** out.

Tennessaiyan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tennessaiyan » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:25 am

Surely I'm not the only one who thinks that it would be really stupid for this to take place before RF. I mean, both from a storytelling standpoint, AND a marketing one. We've been moving forward ever since the Yo! Special, so why would they move BACK before RF, and not keep marketing SSGSS? If this series precedes F, I will be so confused and disappointed. I want to see the story progress.
mogi67 wrote:I kind of view Dragon Ball the same way I view mythology. It can be convoluted, contradictory, but always a treasure.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:30 am

You know what I would love ideally, this starts before Resurrection F (maybe even before Battle of Gods). Then there's like a time skip and you come back after the events of one those movies or even watch them play out from a different characters point of view or something. Maybe a few episodes focus only on Beerus and Whis. Eventually Super also takes into account the ending of Z and then continues to expand from there.

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:35 am

Nickolaidas wrote:, I have *no* idea where the android/Cell saga came from.
Seriousness power levels

King Piccolo saga- Kaioken
Saiyan saga- Super Saiyan
Frieza saga- Super Saiyan 2
Cell saga- Super Saiyan 3

See what I'm trying to do here?
Nickolaidas wrote:I'm referring to the people here who expect Super to be rich with dark moments, serious storytelling, meaningful characters etc etc. It won't. It's a show for kids.
Other shonens have them, so why can't this one? That "it's for kids" is just a dumb excuse. Nobody's expecting for a over the top storytelling and moments, just for one that makes sense and is consistent with the storyline.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.