"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Lionel » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:13 am

Kanassa wrote:RoF
Android 18: I should go, you know that I'm stronger then you.
Krillin: Yeah, but you need to take care of Marron.

One of the stupidest moments in all of Dragonball, at least make a better bullshit excuse for why you don't use somone WHO YOU KNOW CAN HELP! Why doesn't Krillin stay, while 18 goes? Oh yeah, so we can have a nostalga wank with the Z-fighters beating Frieza's army. So yeah, I hope Android 18 gets some good stuff here.
That wasn't even really nostalgic. The only "old school" members of the Z team who were there were Krillin, Tenshinhan, Piccolo, and Gohan. Jaco was a completely new addition from a different manga series, albeit set in the DB universe, while Roshi hasn't been seen on a battlefield since the Piccolo Daimao days. They should have included Yamcha and Chaozu instead if Toriyama and the writers were vying for more of a nostalgic ambiance to the whole movie.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:37 am

Lionel wrote:

One of the stupidest moments in all of Dragonball, at least make a better bullshit excuse for why you don't use somone WHO YOU KNOW CAN HELP! Why doesn't Krillin stay, while 18 goes? Oh yeah, so we can have a nostalga wank with the Z-fighters beating Frieza's army. So yeah, I hope Android 18 gets some good stuff here.
That wasn't even really nostalgic. The only "old school" members of the Z team who were there were Krillin, Tenshinhan, Piccolo, and Gohan. Jaco was a completely new addition from a different manga series, albeit set in the DB universe, while Roshi hasn't been seen on a battlefield since the Piccolo Daimao days. They should have included Yamcha and Chaozu instead if Toriyama and the writers were vying for more of a nostalgic ambiance to the whole movie.
They should have all been there.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:22 am

shadowmaria wrote:Toei Animation USA now has Super as in production Stateside

http://www.toei-animation-usa.com/dragon-ball.html
Does this not just mean that the show is still being made? I don't think this means anything for the dub, but I could be wrong.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:33 am

precita wrote:What if Trunks snaps when he sees 18 and he goes beserk and tries to fight/kill her? Similar to how when Trunks first woke up in the present and saw Goku and thought he was Goku Black and tried to attack him before Bulma slapped him?
Trunks knows the present androids aren't so bad and even watched 18 get revived after Cell and did nothing

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:38 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Lionel wrote:

Would it really have made a different whether 18 was there or not? I mean sure she would have beaten up some Freeza Soldiers but she would have been decoration watching in the background afterwards like everyone else.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:10 am

omaro34 wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
Lionel wrote:
Would it really have made a different whether 18 was there or not? I mean sure she would have beaten up some Freeza Soldiers but she would have been decoration watching in the background afterwards like everyone else.
Yes, but it just makes more sense for her to be there instead of Krillin as even both her and Krillin aknoledge.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:16 am

Kanassa wrote:Yes, but it just makes more sense for her to be there instead of Krillin as even both her and Krillin aknoledge.
If they're both useless, wouldn't it make sense for the strongest of the two to stay with their child?

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:33 am

LightBing wrote:
Kanassa wrote:Yes, but it just makes more sense for her to be there instead of Krillin as even both her and Krillin aknoledge.
If they're both useless, wouldn't it make sense for the strongest of the two to stay with their child?
No, the weakest of the two should stay with the child while the strongest at leasthas more chance of prolonging the battle. Hell, until they actually got to the battle only Piccolo and Gohan knew that Frieza would be way out of their leauge.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:36 am

shadowmaria wrote:Toei Animation USA now has Super as in production Stateside

http://www.toei-animation-usa.com/dragon-ball.html
It was already there when the website was first linked on this thread. I just figured it didn't mean anything.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:02 pm

The lamest thing is that Freeza who came back for revenge with his power level on trillions would still rely on weakest Raditz-tier soldiers, I mean heck he even mentions that his army gotten weaker with the time! Why not spends a little more time recruiting more people? Really strong people that could give problem to the Z-Senshi?

Then Earth could counterattack with it's best forces: Gohan, Gotenks, Boo, Piccolo, 18 while Krillin, Tien, Yamcha, Chaozu and Jaco would take care of the minions.

RoF could be so much better with better writing, damn.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:56 pm

Noah wrote:
The lamest thing is that Freeza who came back for revenge with his power level on trillions would still rely on weakest Raditz-tier soldiers, I mean heck he even mentions that his army gotten weaker with the time! Why not spends a little more time recruiting more people? Really strong people that could give problem to the Z-Senshi?

Then Earth could counterattack with it's best forces: Gohan, Gotenks, Boo, Piccolo, 18 while Krillin, Tien, Yamcha, Chaozu and Jaco would take care of the minions.

Freeza was in a rush for revenge also it doesn't seem there are that many strong aliens out there anymore. U6 tournament majority of the team was formed from Earth and the only alien was Big Nips and he turned out to be a ruse, if there were truly stronger aliens out there they would have been recruited.

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:16 pm

Kanassa wrote:
LightBing wrote:
No, the weakest of the two should stay with the child while the strongest at leasthas more chance of prolonging the battle. Hell, until they actually got to the battle only Piccolo and Gohan knew that Frieza would be way out of their leauge.
18 should be able to use a barrier, like 17's, although I doubt Toriyama was thinking about that while writing that scene.
Noah wrote:

In Toriyama's original script, Freeza did recruit new super powerful fighters before the Earth invasion, but that subplot was completely cut from the final movie. I guess they considered it mostly a nostalgia fest, so they had no interest in adding a bunch of new extra fighters. Shisami was originally supposed to be the strongest out of that group, but then got reduced to a random Freeza soldier - and they probably only kept him at all because Toriyama wrote some specific lines about him facing Piccolo and then being defeated by Gohan, while the others just had a generic comment about how they gave trouble to the cast.

King Jacku
Beyond Newbie

Post by King Jacku » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:37 pm

Neon Z wrote:In Toriyama's original script, Freeza did recruit new super powerful fighters before the Earth invasion, but that subplot was completely cut from the final movie. I guess they considered it mostly a nostalgia fest, so they had no interest in adding a bunch of new extra fighters. Shisami was originally supposed to be the strongest out of that group, but then got reduced to a random Freeza soldier - and they probably only kept him at all because Toriyama wrote some specific lines about him facing Piccolo and then being defeated by Gohan, while the others just had a generic comment about how they gave trouble to the cast.
I've heard a lot about this original script, but have had a tough time finding it on the web, is there a link with a full translation of the script?

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:23 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Freeza was in a rush for revenge also it doesn't seem there are that many strong aliens out there anymore. U6 tournament majority of the team was formed from Earth and the only alien was Big Nips and he turned out to be a ruse, if there were truly stronger aliens out there they would have been recruited.
Maybe yes, but then he could promete intensive training for his entire army or something plot device like that to make them stronger, good examples are Shisami (RoF) and Tagoma (Super)
Neon Z wrote:In Toriyama's original script, Freeza did recruit new super powerful fighters before the Earth invasion, but that subplot was completely cut from the final movie. I guess they considered it mostly a nostalgia fest, so they had no interest in adding a bunch of new extra fighters. Shisami was originally supposed to be the strongest out of that group, but then got reduced to a random Freeza soldier - and they probably only kept him at all because Toriyama wrote some specific lines about him facing Piccolo and then being defeated by Gohan, while the others just had a generic comment about how they gave trouble to the cast.
For realsies? Didn't know about it, that's interesting. I mean if RoF was intended to be Freeza's Ultimate Revenge, then he could come more prepared for this with well-planned stuff, it's really amazing when we see a villain development, they could make Freeza learn with all his mistakes and surprise everyone.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:26 am

Neon Z wrote: In Toriyama's original script, Freeza did recruit new super powerful fighters before the Earth invasion, but that subplot was completely cut from the final movie. I guess they considered it mostly a nostalgia fest, so they had no interest in adding a bunch of new extra fighters. Shisami was originally supposed to be the strongest out of that group, but then got reduced to a random Freeza soldier - and they probably only kept him at all because Toriyama wrote some specific lines about him facing Piccolo and then being defeated by Gohan, while the others just had a generic comment about how they gave trouble to the cast.
Could you provide a source for such claim?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:08 am

What I remember is Freeza recruiting mercenaries but I didn't get the idea they were supposed to be super-strong.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:10 am

alakazam^ wrote:What I remember is Freeza recruiting mercenaries but I didn't get the idea they were supposed to be super-strong.
Shisami was supposed to be the strongest merc in the universe.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:47 am

Unless I'm missing something, there doesn't seem to be any mention of hiring mercenaries or outright mentions of their strength.

The closest I'm seeing is this:
Despite being called “Freeza Army”, by now it’s been reduced to merely a hodge-podge of second-rate warriors. Strength-wise Earth’s army overwhelmingly has the upper hand, and the enemy force’s numbers steadily drop. However, there are still some strong enemies. The mercenaries are particularly troublesome. Gohan is strongest. And Piccolo’s strong too. Kuririn, Tenshinhan, Kame-sennin, and even Jaco all play a big role.
Regarding Shisami, there's nothing about him being the strongest merc in the universe, but rather that he's the best in Freeza's army:
Piccolo is having a hard time against Shisami, the best warrior in Freeza’s army.
There's no subplot about recruiting anyone. Was this mentioned elsewhere or something?

The film plays out pretty much as detailed in the script, honestly.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:25 pm

Seriously, where are those titles?
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.