Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Re: Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by Scott » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:41 pm

HG-Project wrote:...I think a better question is who's not going to get included in the main group because clearly they can't jam-pack everyone and their mothers aboard the Super train...
I don't know, Naruto had a huge amount of characters and they managed to fit them in well enough. I think it can be done.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:42 pm

Maybe. They have a better chance at dealing with more characters as a series than they would a movie though, as they aren't stuck with a specific run time. Of course the story is most important, so the show doesn't need to suffer for the sake of over stuffing.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:20 pm

Paikuhan definitely! :P Obviously more Master Roshi. I actually hope we get another Tournament. I'm a sucker for tournaments haha
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

HG-Project
Beyond Newbie

Post by HG-Project » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:23 pm

Scott wrote:
HG-Project wrote:...I think a better question is who's not going to get included in the main group because clearly they can't jam-pack everyone and their mothers aboard the Super train...
I don't know, Naruto had a huge amount of characters and they managed to fit them in well enough. I think it can be done.
Hmm really? Because to me, many of the cast members' screentime seemed to be on a compromise, just to break up tension, allow for cliffhangers, or to introduce a plot twist. And the thing is, most of the characters in Naruto (they were fantastic!) were kind of tossed aside into the sidelines and became forgotten or killed off. Same seems to be for Fairy Tail, Bleach, etc. Heck, even the original DB suffered from this syndrome.
I mean, I definitely won't knock down a huge cast if DBS will somehow provide for an environment where each desired character can actually get a decent chunk of focus, but am not so sure about the idea of just mindlessly jamming as many characters as possible into the main, focal cast expecting all of them to take the stage...when they'll just be delegated to supporting roles as usual and if in large numbers and each given a lot of screentime, they'll kind of eat away at the story's pacing.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:25 pm

I just hope Uub is a main character.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:30 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:I just hope Uub is a main character.

Speaking of it, the "true" end of Z suggested that. You think the new series will ever follow that version?

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:31 pm

Dyno wrote:

Speaking of it, the "true" end of Z suggested that. You think the new series will ever follow that version?
If DBS follows directly after Kai Uub might play a big role as the current ending for Kai involves Uub.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aYokTknbgA
I feel like if they intended to ignore EoZ they wouldn't include Uub in Kai, but maybe that's just me.

sbk
Beyond Newbie

Post by sbk » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:35 pm

HG-Project wrote:
Scott wrote:
Hmm really? Because to me, many of the cast members' screentime seemed to be on a compromise, just to break up tension, allow for cliffhangers, or to introduce a plot twist. And the thing is, most of the characters in Naruto (they were fantastic!) were kind of tossed aside into the sidelines and became forgotten or killed off. Same seems to be for Fairy Tail, Bleach, etc. Heck, even the original DB suffered from this syndrome.
I mean, I definitely won't knock down a huge cast if DBS will somehow provide for an environment where each desired character can actually get a decent chunk of focus, but am not so sure about the idea of just mindlessly jamming as many characters as possible into the main, focal cast expecting all of them to take the stage...when they'll just be delegated to supporting roles as usual and if in large numbers and each given a lot of screentime, they'll kind of eat away at the story's pacing.
I 100% agree

I'd rather have a small but focused cast where they are all contributing to the plot, than a huge cast where 99% of the characters are nerfed and useless fodder like in the new movies

If Tien, Gohan, Piccolo, Krillin, Trunks etc aren't gonna be legit useful, I'd rather not have them at all than have them being fodderized. Just focus on Vegeta/Goku/Beerus/Whis only.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:44 pm

I agree with this so much! I love Uub's character so much and would love to see him become a hero.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:45 pm

Bring him back. Him, and Devilman.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:48 pm

Scott wrote:
No, they really didn't. Naruto did a really horrible job handling its large cast. One Piece is great example of how you handle a large cast.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:28 am

I'd like to see Dabura come back somehow.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:29 am

• Gine
• Tights
• Jaco
• Raditz
• Majin Buu
• Dabura
• Lunch
• Tarble
• Mr. Satan
• Pikkon
• Pilaf
• Chaozu
• Tenshinhan
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:37 am

Since the question is more about 'old' characters, I guess I'll just say up front that I'm definitely down for seeing more Beerus, Whis, Jaco, and, if they can do it in a way that's not shoehorned - and that's a pretty big if - Gine, so she'll finally appear in animation. Mostly cuz I wanna know who they'd get to play her on either side of the language barrier.

Old characters though? I'd love to see more of Pilaf and cronies, Tao, Lunch, maybe 17...ohh, 8 and Snow would be fun. Really there's such a great amount of old characters that are still alive that I wouldn't mind at all seeing what they're up to after all these years.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

SSJGFrieza
Banned

Post by SSJGFrieza » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:23 am

Arale .
Linda Young 4 lyfe

Son Edo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Edo » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:33 am

Perfect Cell and Super Buu revived in one of the arcs.

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gotham22 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:03 am

I would like to see Lunch, Pilaf, Chaozu, and Tenshinhan have a part in this new series. Also do something right with Android 17 and bring back Raditz.
He's pretty much the only dead villain that's been shunned, unlike the others. A keep Cell and Freeza dead. I think we've seen enough of those two.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:06 am

Bring back Future Trunks!
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:22 am

I would be glad if Yamcha and Tien appear in this series at all... more for 10 seconds or such.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).
He almost got Videl killed in Battle of Gods tho.

PiccoloFan7289
Beyond Newbie

Post by PiccoloFan7289 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:10 pm

- Future Trunks ( I want him back for one of the main arcs).
- Cell ( I would like to see him come back in maybe a minor arc as the main villain between the main arcs).
- Android 17 ( I want to see him again. Have him come back and interact with Android 18, Kuririn, and Marron).