What do you hope to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: What do you hope to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 04, 2015 4:20 pm

Doctor. wrote:I'd just like to see creative environments again. Something like the locations of the first arc of the series, but use the environment to your advantage (or disadvantage) in battle. Planet Namek felt too boring as a location, the novelty wore off like 3 chapters in.
Well, drawing environments was one of Toriyama's weak points as a mangaka, so I think we can expect something better in Dragon Ball Super, if Toei are willing to give the show a good budget.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Mon May 04, 2015 4:21 pm

Would like to see elemental enemies, or rather... Epic elemental enemies, can't even say 3-star Dragon is my favorite since his portrayl was really bad (Damn, Dragon Ball GT :x). I need to have a favorite villain using my favorite element as a weapon.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon May 04, 2015 4:25 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Doctor. wrote:I'd just like to see creative environments again. Something like the locations of the first arc of the series, but use the environment to your advantage (or disadvantage) in battle. Planet Namek felt too boring as a location, the novelty wore off like 3 chapters in.
Well, drawing environments was one of Toriyama's weak points as a mangaka, so I think we can expect something better in Dragon Ball Super, if Toei are willing to give the show a good budget.
Did he say it himself or are you just saying your opinion? Because I disagree, when he's not being lazy, his brilliantly creative mind can create some very unique environments and locations. I don't know who designed Beerus' temple, but if it was Toriyama, there's an example right there.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon May 04, 2015 4:33 pm

This was Toriyama's design for Beerus' temple. I like the base better, but the top is much more creative with the giant tree Yamamuro(?) added.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 04, 2015 4:53 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Did he say it himself or are you just saying your opinion? Because I disagree, when he's not being lazy, his brilliantly creative mind can create some very unique environments and locations. I don't know who designed Beerus' temple, but if it was Toriyama, there's an example right there.
That's just my personal opinion. I mean, he just got a very lazy with the environments in the manga from the Saiyan arc and beyond. The Namek arc being the worst offender of lazy backgrounds and environments.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Mon May 04, 2015 6:52 pm

Assuming this occurs after BoG and RoF, I'd like to see Super Saiyan God make another appearance. By that I mean the actual magenta form, not just Super Saiyan drawing on its power.

I don't think it's very likely since SSGSS practically renders it obsolete due to not having a time limit anymore, but I really did like that form a lot. A man can dream, I suppose.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Mon May 04, 2015 7:59 pm

Truhan wrote:A pure female saiyan to have kids with Vegeta's brother. I want the Saiyan race to come back strong!
Haha I agree with a pure female saiyan to show up.. Somehow.. I really want to see a Saiyan lady turn super saiyan.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon May 04, 2015 8:08 pm

I want to see some progression on the martial arts side of things: Someone else besides Goku should be thinking about preparing the next generation.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon May 04, 2015 8:43 pm

I want a Time Patrol Trunks arc later on if the series becomes popular. :D

Or at least an appearance from Future Trunks. :(
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Mon May 04, 2015 9:11 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:Assuming this occurs after BoG and RoF, I'd like to see Super Saiyan God make another appearance. By that I mean the actual magenta form, not just Super Saiyan drawing on its power.

I don't think it's very likely since SSGSS practically renders it obsolete due to not having a time limit anymore, but I really did like that form a lot. A man can dream, I suppose.
If the power of magneta form has been fully absored, then going into magneta form seems rather pointless/obsolete unless Goku feels like having red hair that day

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Mon May 04, 2015 9:18 pm

FoolsGil wrote:I want to see some progression on the martial arts side of things: Someone else besides Goku should be thinking about preparing the next generation.
If Kakarot won't fight anymore, you are actually wanting Vegeta to prepare the next generation too, you know. :lol:

Son Gohan and Piccolo may actually take that role, though this would be against Piccolo's desire... Since we know he is on Earth just to have "some action" in his life. Kinda unlikely he would retire from fighting at this point, not to mention his age. He is only... How old is he? I recall some information saying he is four years older than Son Gohan, which means, by the end of manga, if Son Gohan is 26, Piccolo is just 30. Can perfectly continue with his training and fighting.

Tennessaiyan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tennessaiyan » Mon May 04, 2015 9:20 pm

I'd like to see some father/daughter interactions between Vegeta and Bra, even if it's only for a brief moment. Pardon the pun.
mogi67 wrote:I kind of view Dragon Ball the same way I view mythology. It can be convoluted, contradictory, but always a treasure.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Mon May 04, 2015 9:22 pm

Tennessaiyan wrote:I'd like to see some father/daughter interactions between Vegeta and Bra, even if it's only for a brief moment. Pardon the pun.
That is assuming Toriyama even remembers about her :shifty:

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Mon May 04, 2015 9:26 pm

Basaku wrote:If the power of magneta form has been fully absored, then going into magneta form seems rather pointless/obsolete unless Goku feels like having red hair that day
Well, he did use the form a second time to disperse Beerus' big blast at the end of BoG... but that was before he presumably mastered SSG's power and gained SSGSS. Now that I think about it, it's feasible that he could go into it again if he runs out of power/ki and proceeds to do whatever he did in BoG, but that's a big "if". We'll probably never see it again unless another character like Gohan decides to partake in the ritual.

Either way, I'd like for the forms to stop at SSGSS.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Mon May 04, 2015 9:27 pm

Basaku wrote:That is assuming Toriyama even remembers about her :shifty:
He remembers well enough to make Pan with Bra's hair. (?) :crazy:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 04, 2015 9:29 pm

Basaku wrote:
Tennessaiyan wrote:I'd like to see some father/daughter interactions between Vegeta and Bra, even if it's only for a brief moment. Pardon the pun.
I'm sure Toriyama remembers Bra.

Tennessaiyan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tennessaiyan » Mon May 04, 2015 9:33 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Basaku wrote:
You'd think he would, considering he mentioned how he "gave Vegeta a moustache" in GT. If he went over those old character designs, surely he came accross his design of Bra. Unless he mistook her for Bulma xD
mogi67 wrote:I kind of view Dragon Ball the same way I view mythology. It can be convoluted, contradictory, but always a treasure.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Mon May 04, 2015 9:40 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:Either way, I'd like for the forms to stop at SSGSS.
Not gonna happen. It becomes clear that the entire chain of DB events in past few years comes primarly from Toei's realization after Kai airing in 09-11 that old designs for merch won't push numbers they want. Even with a property as big as DB. Market was full of that already. BOG with new transformation (even before Toriyama came on board), yet another new form in sequel right after and now new series. They decided to try make new platform for new merch advertising, they succeeded, they will roll with it for a long time
Tennessaiyan wrote:Vegeta's moustache
I'm rooting for AT's bad memory on this one :shifty: And Goten's GT hair :shifty:

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Mon May 04, 2015 9:47 pm

Basaku wrote:
Marlowe89 wrote:Either way, I'd like for the forms to stop at SSGSS.
Not gonna happen. It becomes clear that the entire chain of DB events in past few years comes primarly from Toei's realization after Kai airing in 09-11 that old designs for merch won't push numbers they want. Market was full of that already. BOG with new transformation (even before Toriyama came on board), yet another new form in sequel right after and now new series. They decided to try make new platform for new merch advertising, they succeeded, they will roll with it for a long time.
I'm sure they'll wait a little while before pumping out even more transformations, but they'll definitely have more eventually. In fact, I'd be more surprised if they stopped with SSGSS than if they kept going. I'm sure we'll see plenty more redesigns for old characters and for new characters, namely villains, will have plenty transformations.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon May 04, 2015 10:20 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Basaku wrote:
It's not "Bra's hair". Julian already covered this.
SaiyaJedi wrote:Nah, a Yankii Facelift is pretty common for little kids in Japan who are too young for a haircut. It's useful when their hair's too long to leave down and too short for a ponytail.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)