Did Toei make the right move?!

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Did Toei make the right move?!

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri May 01, 2015 5:38 pm

Ignoring the Pre-z stuff, I mean.

I think not. The new generation will watch Kai without know what happened before. Its like starting to read a book by the middle.
Even though Dragon Ball has a story easy to follow, they still miss the growth of the first cast.

I rewatched DB last year and really feels outdated, most of it. Should get the same treatment than DBZ, which is not great, but its better than nothing.

DBZ appeals to a wider audience yeah, but the beginning shouldn't be ignored. At least, they should make it for home release.

Another wrong move, was calling it Dragon Ball Kai and not Dragon Ball Z Kai.
Funimation did the right choice here (can't believe I would ever say this).

Do you know some people of this generation?! If so, do they bother to find what happened in DB?!
And do you think Toei will ever remaster DB?!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

sintzu
Banned

Re: Did Toei make the right move?!

Post by sintzu » Fri May 01, 2015 5:51 pm

They made the right move in terms of starting with Z cause that's what needed it the most but I think it'll be a mistake to not go back and give the original a Kai version especially with how popular the franchise is now which would help it's sales and ratings.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri May 01, 2015 6:41 pm

I think the original Dragon Ball anime should remain untouched. It was perfectly handed in my opinion, as far as animation and pacing goes. And all of the filler was tolerable and did nothing to really disrupt the story or narrative in an irritating and unnecessary way that DBZ's filler did at times. And Toei have proved with Dragon Ball Kai's Majin Boo arc, that when left to their own resources, they can produce shitty remasters of old anime. So, no thanks.

But I am still waiting for the original DB anime to get the Blu-Ray treatment it so desperately deserves.

sayian_nation_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sayian_nation_ » Mon May 04, 2015 11:31 pm

If they're going to reintroduce Dragonball, I feel like they would have to cut some episodes out.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue May 05, 2015 9:35 am

They shouldn't have even made Kai to begin with, but ultimately, yes.

Dragon Ball is a classic and doesn't need to be reworked.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue May 05, 2015 10:50 am

You definitely miss a lot by skipping the first part of the series, but you aren't lost if you start with Dragon Ball Kai, so it's OK I guess. What happened before isn't extremely relevant to the current plot, and you learn everything you need to know from the past in Kai again. Those who start with Kai can watch the original DB series if they are interested, and see how the main cast from Z/Kai met each other.
FortuneSSJ wrote:Funimation did the right choice here (can't believe I would ever say this).
It wasn't FUNi's choice, actually. It was Toei that decided to change Dragon Ball Kai into Dragon Ball Z Kai for the other countries.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue May 05, 2015 11:01 am

This is my only major gripe with Kai right now. They call it manga accurate, and the first thing they do is skip 38% of the manga, only because of a division that does not exist in the manga. And then they called it Dragon Ball Kai. Toei definitely made the right choice to change it to Dragon Ball Z Kai internationally.

This just creates even more of a divide then there needs to be, so more and more newer fans won't have any idea that there was anything of significance before Raditz. There are fans who think the Pilaf Gang are new characters introduced for Battle of Gods, for instance. Anyway, since they're doing this new series now, I think we can safely say Toei is done with Kai and has no interest in the original series.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Tue May 05, 2015 11:15 am

For what it's worth, if Toei ever does end up doing a Kai version of the first DB anime, they could easily call it "Dragon Ball Kai: Shonen-hen" or some such for Japan (and something like The First Chapters internationally to not make things horribly confusing).

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue May 05, 2015 11:21 am

Theophrastus wrote:For what it's worth, if Toei ever does end up doing a Kai version of the first DB anime, they could easily call it "Dragon Ball Kai: Shonen-hen" or some such for Japan (and something like The First Chapters internationally to not make things horribly confusing).
Toei clearly had no intention to bring back Kai to Japan but due to foreign fans wanting it they did but as things are now, Kai really isn't something they'd want to create ever again. It's sloppy, lazy, mediocre and forgettable.

I'm not sure how Kai even has fans who want to have a Kai-version of DB.

By the way, my nickname is the only like that because I was really enjoying Kai before the whole plagiarism happened because afterwards it turned to shit.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue May 05, 2015 11:34 am

With how poorly Kai sales in Japan, i don't think it replaced DBZ at all.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue May 05, 2015 11:49 am

What if people watch Kai or Z before Dragon Ball?

It wouldn't be anything new. That's how most of us were introduced to the show. There's nothing chronologically appropriate about how most English-speaking fans were introduced to the series. First we had 13 episodes of Dragon Ball, then it was cancelled, then we had 53 trimmed-down, edited episodes of DBZ, then we had a few more trimmed-down episodes with a new dub cast before the episodes eventually started matching the Japanese episodes, then midway through that Dragon Ball started again with a new cast, then we had GT where 13 episodes were reduced to 1 because FUNimation thought the first 13 were boring (even though they released those 13 episodes and began airing them after the first run), and then the new dub cast went back and redubbed the first 53 episodes of DBZ, expanding it to its original count of 66 episodes.

And hey, we turned out just fine. So I don't think it'll be that big a deal. Sure, a chronological airing of the show would have been preferable, but all things considered, things turned out OK.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue May 05, 2015 11:52 am

Well, I'd be ok with it if they actually DID cover Dragon Ball in Kai, but they're clearly not doing so.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue May 05, 2015 11:56 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:I'm not sure how Kai even has fans.
Not having to sit though Z's filler and getting a great dub is more then enough for me to look past it's problems and enjoy it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue May 05, 2015 12:00 pm

You're saying that as if all of Z's filler is bad which isn't true.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Tue May 05, 2015 11:25 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:You're saying that as if all of Z's filler is bad which isn't true.
I actually like a lot of the filler in DBZ. Kai is so much lower in over-all quality to the original show, that I would just rather watch DBZ even with the bad filler (fake planet namek, etc.).

I finally watched my first episode of the Buu arc Kai and it was awful. I mean, the heart of the thing is still so awesome (the story/characters/etc.) that it's still entertaining... but when you know there's a better version out there, why would you wanna watch Kai?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed May 06, 2015 11:38 am

bleed0range wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:You're saying that as if all of Z's filler is bad which isn't true.
I actually like a lot of the filler in DBZ. Kai is so much lower in over-all quality to the original show, that I would just rather watch DBZ even with the bad filler (fake planet namek, etc.).

I finally watched my first episode of the Buu arc Kai and it was awful. I mean, the heart of the thing is still so awesome (the story/characters/etc.) that it's still entertaining... but when you know there's a better version out there, why would you wanna watch Kai?
You see, the JPN version of Z I wouldn't mind watching over Kai. But in regards to the dubbed version, honestly, I'd take Kai over it any day.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed May 06, 2015 11:45 am

I mean, Dragon Ball is important and all, but Dragon Ball Z rarely makes reference to the first part of the story and you don't need to know much about it to watch and understand DBZ. I don't think they should have ignored it as it's just as important as part 2, but still.

andrewtuell1991
Beyond Newbie

Post by andrewtuell1991 » Thu May 07, 2015 2:06 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I think the original Dragon Ball anime should remain untouched. It was perfectly handed in my opinion, as far as animation and pacing goes.
Everything past Episode 28 says hi, and even the first 28 episodes themselves could use some pruning. The Red Ribbon Army, 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai, and the Piccolo Daimao arcs have every bit the atrocious pacing of a Z arc.

And all of the filler was tolerable and did nothing to really disrupt the story or narrative in an irritating and unnecessary way that DBZ's filler did at times.
I like how they kept interrupting the Piccolo Daimao fight for random scenes of rioting and the misadventures of two one-offs from the RRA arc. [/sarcasm] And no, that's not the only example, it's just the first one off the top of my head.
It is. Filler is nothing more than a bunch of random fan-fiction from hack Toei writers that was sloppily inserted into the story with no regards to pacing, coherency, or possible future plot holes. There's not a single ounce of filler from DB or DBZ that adds anything of genuine worth to the series.
dbboxkaifan wrote:Dragon Ball is a classic and doesn't need to be reworked.
The manga is a classic, the anime is an inconsistently animated half-ass effort of adapting that manga. Kikuchi's score and the Japanese voice actors are awesome but the animation and pacing practically kill the whole thing. It's embarrassing that Toei has cranked out not one but two terrible animated adaptations of one of the greatest action-adventure manga of all time.

For the topic at hand, I'm conflicted. On the one hand, I think they should've started from the real beginning to start with instead of following some stupid, pointless division that doesn't even exist in the original manga in the first place. On the other hand, it'd be another half-assed Frankensteining of an already half-assed series.

Plus, tons of voices from the Japanese side of things would be re-casted, the most noticeable being Muten Roshi, the Narrator, Kami, and Piccolo Daimao. Also, Mr. Popo, Gyu-Mao, Umigame, Shen Long, Commander Red, Tao Pai Pai, Tenshinhan, Chi-chi, Dr. Briefs, Ninja Murasaki, Senbei Norimaki, the Tenkaichi Budōkai Announcer, and Uranai Baba would be different from the original DB. It just wouldn't be the same. For some reason, Toei's good at casting someone for a Dragon Ball role the first time, but completely suck at re-casting. I can't understand why.

Storm
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Storm » Thu May 07, 2015 2:48 pm

andrewtuell1991 wrote:There's not a single ounce of filler from DB or DBZ that adds anything of genuine worth to the series.
That's... quite the bold statement.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu May 07, 2015 3:51 pm

andrewtuell1991 wrote:There's not a single ounce of filler from DB or DBZ that adds anything of genuine worth to the series.
I disagree with that profoundly. I think filler like Gohan's extended training in the Saiyan arc, the Other World Tournament and practically 90% of the filler in the Dragon Ball anime helped expand the universe and fill holes in the narrative where the manga didn't.