I got my Complete BGM Collection Today.

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Blastero
Beyond Newbie

I got my Complete BGM Collection Today.

Post by Blastero » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:57 pm

I got the CD today in the mail. Now I don't consider myself an expert on the music since before this, I owned very few DBZ songs. But still, I will give a run down on what is on this set.

I haven't actually listened to every single bit of every single track yet. I really don't like this "put several pieces on one track" format. This is one of the big reasons I haven't listened to everything yet. It starts out with the Head Chala TV size, obviously, and had a lot of stuff from the earlier parts of DBZ. Since this is the first time I have owned a lot of these songs, this set is pretty nifty. However, there's a lot of things I haven't heard, that I am almost positive will not appear anywhere else on this set. The song that plays in episode 185 when Gohan is powering up is one of them. This was during the scene when the entire SSJ2 transformation from the previous episode was basically reanimated. I really liked this song, and I don't like that its missing.

And yes, the instrumental versions of the openings and endings are the old lyrical replacement versions.

Here's another thing I noticed. The Head Chala Preview song is included on this set, but the weird thing is, its a spliced up version of the lyrical replacement version. The same segments are played as in the actual song that played in the show, but I don't think the original song used in the show used this same lyrical replacement version.

And here's another rant I have about this set. When I went to put this set on my IPod, and uploaded the songs to ITunes, there was absolutely no information provided for the songs. No track names, no artists, nothing. Ok, so there was "Track 1", "Track 2", etc. but that was even worse, considering each individualy CD's tracks all start from "Track 1", so when displayed on my IPod, at least up to "Track 15", I get 3 sets of every track title.

I'll report back later when I make more of a dent in this CD's tracks.

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:11 pm

Good gravy, do you live right there in Japan??
I REALLY am SEVERELY DESPERATE to know which pieces this CD set is missing!!

I've started a documentation of the DBZ BGM, both TV episodes and movies, on this thread. If you can identify any missing pieces (the previously unreleased themes are in red), I'd GREATLY appreciate it.

And the BGM from episode 185, Gohan going SSJ2, is on the 5-disc set, Disc 4, track 16 (the last piece on the track).

Also, can you tell me the total length of each disc (and if it's not TOO much trouble, the lengths of each track)? I'm really, really flipping out here. This was a GREAT chance (maybe even the *final* chance) for Japan to put out a full BGM CD from DBZ, and if they screw this up, I swear it'll be my last breath!!!!!!!

Ummm... okay, guess I'm overreacting....
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

Blastero
Beyond Newbie

Post by Blastero » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:56 pm

Sure, I'd be happy to get those things for you. And I'll check for that Gohan SSJ2 song as well.

Edit: I checked the corresponding track on this set to check for the Gohan song, and unless you and me are thinking of a different song, its not there. The song I was thinking of was the one when you see Gohan get real mad, and scream, and Cell looks shocked. I really hope that they didn't up and cut this out of the track.

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:44 am

Blastero wrote:Sure, I'd be happy to get those things for you. And I'll check for that Gohan SSJ2 song as well.

Edit: I checked the corresponding track on this set to check for the Gohan song, and unless you and me are thinking of a different song, its not there. The song I was thinking of was the one when you see Gohan get real mad, and scream, and Cell looks shocked. I really hope that they didn't up and cut this out of the track.
Ohhh... okay, so it isn't the one at the beginning of 185 (just after the title card)? I'll have to check my DVD again and see.

EDIT: Ohh, THAT piece! (I checked the episode again... forgot that it takes a few minutes for Gohan to actually go SSJ2) So, just to make things straight, do you mean the theme that starts with the fast-paced drum beats? Well, you're in luck: it's on the 5-disc set (disc 4, track 14, third piece on the track), and if this so-called "Complete" set follows the same suit, it'll also be on disc 2, track 3. On top of that, it's also on the Ongakushu Volume 1, early on during the Movie 5 track.
If you want to know, it was composed for Movie 5, when Piccolo stalls for Gohan to fly to Goku with the Senzu beans. It's the piece I refer to on my documentation as "Piccolo Buys Gohan Time (Movie 5)".
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

Timo
Regular

Re: I got my Complete BGM Collection Today.

Post by Timo » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:04 am

Blastero wrote:And yes, the instrumental versions of the openings and endings are the old lyrical replacement versions.
N...no....no! NOOO!!!! Arghh....what the..?! Damn f.$%&"/)?!)§/$!!!! :evil:

Today is a bad hair day.
:cry:

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:37 am

If this is true, then I'm glad I went with my instincts and held off on purchasing this set right away. And here I thought I was being too cynical.>_>
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:19 pm

I just got mine today and I'm actually more impressed with it than I thought.

I was kind of groaning going through some of the first tracks on the first cd realizing they were rehashes of the 5 cd set. Then I listented to one of the previously unreleased themes and it was actually one of the tracks I wanted originally on the 5 cd set... rawk! :D

The booklet that came with it is pretty nice. It contains linear notes for the tracks like the 5 cd set's and even has a nice and complete movie and episode guide with release dates all organized so you don't have to look at 3 daizenshuus to see them all. Not too big on pictures sadly.

I'm still skimming the tracks and will be ripping them to my comp soon. So far I'm actually kind of impressed with the set and am not regretting the purchase. :)

Ok, the Cha La Head Cha La variations track is more than enough to warrant a purchase, buy this set. 8)

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:17 pm

ARRRRRRRRRGHHH!!! This is KILLING me!! When's mine going to come?? I live in the *western* United States, for crying out loud (making me all the closer to Japan), I ordered EMS 3-day shipping, and I wait, and wait, and the mail comes today... and nothing! And I believe it's coming through USPS on Monday, and not UPS later today (meaning I'll have to wait until Monday, or even later, since I might have to sign for the package and if so, they won't leave it at my doorstep - I have a very strict job which has me working mandatorily during the regular hours of the day- , which means I'll have to wait until I can get off work early enough to get to the post office, which isn't going to happen because it closes at 5:00!!!).
I checked the tracking number and it said that my package left a city about 3 hours away from me, at 5:00 am this morning, and it's now about 1:00 pm. I hate my life.

So, we now have the track lengths for Discs 1 and 3, but would anyone at all mind listing Disc 2? Here's what we have so far (Blue indicates a track that was NOT on the 5-disc set; Green indicates a track that WAS, but has been extended):

Disc 1 (73:01) [care of Blastero]

1. Cha-La Head-Cha-La (TV Size) 1:51
2. Prologue & Subtitle I (partially with pieces used) 1:14
3. Fear Unfelt Before 1:12
4. Fight On In The Other World! 2:37
5. Son Gohan And Piccolo Daimao 1:35
6. Cha-La Head-Cha-La (Variations) (pieces used) 1:30
7. Bridge Collection 2:38

8. The Saiyans Are Coming!! 2:21
9. Super Deciding Battle To Divide Heaven From Earth!! 2:30
10. Gohan’s Theme 3:22
11. Alas, The Days Of Training 4:34

12. Dark Clouds Swirling Over Planet Namek 1:27
13. Make It In Time!! The Seven Dragon Balls 2:45
14. The Fearsome Ginyu Special Corps 1:59
15. The Monster Freeza Vs. The Legendary Super Saiyan 4:56
16. Planet Namek And Hope Vanish (partially with pieces used) 1:42
17. Come Out, Outstanding Full-Force Power! (TV Size) 1:40
18. [Theatrical Version Dragon Ball Z Suites] “Dragon Ball Z” 7:26
19. [Theatrical Version Dragon Ball Z Suites] “The Strongest Guy In This World” 4:28
20. [Theatrical Version Dragon Ball Z Suites] War (I-ku-sa) (Movie Size) 1:46
21. [Theatrical Version Dragon Ball Z Suites] “Super Deciding Battle For The Whole Earth” 3:45
22. [Theatrical Version Dragon Ball Z Suites] The Whole Of It (Movie Size) 1:33
23. [Theatrical Version Dragon Ball Z Suites] “Son Goku Is A Super Saiyan” 5:33
24. [Theatrical Version Dragon Ball Z Suites] In “Bad” Things, There Is A Ball Of Good Energy!! (Movie Size) 1:47
25. [Theatrical Version Dragon Ball Z Suites] “Outstanding Ultimate Strength Vs. Ultimate Strength” 5:11
26. [Theatrical Version Dragon Ball Z Suites] Outstanding Ultimate Strength Vs. Ultimate Strength (Movie Size) 1:39

Disc 3 (77:39) [care of MultilangDBZ]

1. We Gotta Power (TV Size) 1:52
2. Prologue & Subtitle II 1:19
3. Enter A New Hero 2:12
4. Angel (pieces used) We Were Angels 4:23
5. Reunion! Tenkaichi Tournament 5:44

6. We Gotta Power (Instrumental) 3:58
7. We Were Angels (Instrumental) 3:52

8. The Time For Battle Is Here Again (pieces used) We Gotta Power 3:55
9. Believe In Tomorrow… (pieces used) We Were Angels 6:30
10. Son Goku Is The Strongest After All!! (pieces used) We Gotta Power 2:57

11. We Were Angels (TV Size) 1:42
12. [Theatrical Version Dragon Ball Z Suites] “A Pair In Peril!! The Super Warrior Cannot Rest” 8:42
13. [Theatrical Version Dragon Ball Z Suites] Miraculous Big Fight (Movie Size) 1:31
14. [Theatrical Version Dragon Ball Z Suites] “Super Warriors Crushed!! I Will Be The Victor” 8:54
15. [Theatrical Version Dragon Ball Z Suites] Dragon Power Infinity (Movie Size) 1:37
16. [Theatrical Version Dragon Ball Z Suites] “Fusion Reborn!! Goku And Vegeta” 8:03
17. [Theatrical Version Dragon Ball Z Suites] The Ultra-Strong Fusion (Movie Size) 1:43
18. [Theatrical Version Dragon Ball Z Suites] “Ryu-ken, Explode!! If Goku Won’t Do It, Who Will?” 6:56
19. [Theatrical Version Dragon Ball Z Suites] If I Don’t Do It, Who Will? (Movie Size) 1:39

I checked out the tracklisting on Disc 2 and all of them were on the 5-disc set (except for the Movie Size ED themes, but I was able to go back to each movie's ending credits and time how long each is). If each track were as long as its 5-disc set counterpart, and the Movie Size themes as long as I timed them, we'd have only a 55:20 disc. But the other two discs go all-out, so we know they'll have filled up the remaining 20 minutes with previously unreleased stuff :)
Anyone who wants to transcribe the CD and track lengths of Disc 2, you can copy-and-paste my listing below, and replace the 5-disc set track lengths with the Complete Collection lengths.

Disc 2

1. Cha-La Head-Cha-La (Instrumental) 3:16(?)
2. The Boy Who Came From The Future 1:32(?)
3. The Artificial Humans Go To Town… 4:38(?)
4. Prevent It! Cell’s Perfect Body 4:45(?)
5. The Cell Games Which Summon Death 6:00(?)
6. All’s Well That Ends Well ~ One More Conclusion 2:35(?)
7. Farewell Warriors (pieces used) 2:09(?)
8. [Theatrical Version Dragon Ball Z Suites] “Clash!! 10-Billion Power Warriors” 3:40(?)
9. [Theatrical Version Dragon Ball Z Suites] Hero (You Are The Hero) (Movie Size) 1:35
10. [Theatrical Version Dragon Ball Z Suites] “Extreme Battle!! The Three Great Super Saiyans” 7:36(?)
11. [Theatrical Version Dragon Ball Z Suites] At Its Threshold -The World At Its Limits- (Movie Size) 1:32
12. [Theatrical Version Dragon Ball Z Suites] “Burn Up!! Hot Fight, Fierce Fight, Super Violent Fight” 4:45(?)
13. [Theatrical Version Dragon Ball Z Suites] Burning Fight - Hot Fight, Fierce Fight, Super Violent Fight (Movie Size) 1:30
14. [Theatrical Version Dragon Ball Z Suites] “The Galaxy At Its Threshold!! A Phenomenally Awesome Guy” 8:11(?)
15. [Theatrical Version Dragon Ball Z Suites] Surpass The Galaxy Rising High (Movie Size) 1:36