DB Super Simuldub?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

DB Super Simuldub?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon May 18, 2015 9:57 pm

While it might sound like a weird question to ask,(I think people will say "Yeah! DUH!") would you like a more careful and tactful dub coming later or getting your DB Super Goodness Dubbed ASAP?

Also do you think Super will air on Toonami as soon as its dubbed?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: DB Super Simuldub?

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon May 18, 2015 10:04 pm

Wouldn't be surprised if Toonami airs BoG and FnF dubs one Saturday (or one during two consecutive Saturdays), and then replaces Kai with Super. I'm assuming this'll be a year and change after Super airs in Japan.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon May 18, 2015 10:11 pm

I think Super is a really powerful Ratings Super Weapon (LOL) but I think that Toonami should air all of Kai first, not because people are unfamiliar with the story after Cell but rather because Kai is also doing amazing and it should be squeezed out of profitability first. So that Toonami has more mileage out of it.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon May 18, 2015 10:48 pm

It depends if Toei has the footage ready to be dubbed. From what I've been told most of the DBZ voice cast is not in Texas at the moment. I think having a simusub is more likely going to happen. Heck we still don't have the Kai Buu saga on DVD and Blu-Ray yet.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue May 19, 2015 12:27 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:It depends if Toei has the footage ready to be dubbed. From what I've been told most of the DBZ voice cast is not in Texas at the moment. I think having a simusub is more likely going to happen. Heck we still don't have the Kai Buu saga on DVD and Blu-Ray yet.
Most of the cast is in Texas, but some major players that would presumably still be in Super, aren't. Most notably off the top of my head, Sean Schemmel (Goku, King Kai), Kyle Hebert (Gohan), and Laura Bailey (Kid Trunks) are in LA now. Not to mention Todd Haberkorn if Jaco is involved at all (and that's assuming his presumed voice acting in Xenoverse would carry over to Resurrection 'F').

There's also the fact that simuldubbing in general is a LOT more complicated of a process than simulcasting just with subtitles would be. Sonny Strait has mentioned on his FB before that for simuldubs, the actors have to be in the same town in Texas as the studio they're recording at. Not even other areas in Texas are applicable for those. So simuldubbing something where they would need a number of people from LA just doesn't seem very likely at all.

But hey, that's okay, really. Waiting for the dub a little bit means they won't really have to rush things and we'll hopefully get a better product for it. And we're sure to get it a hell of a lot sooner than we got a lot of other DB material in the past, so it'll all be fine in the end.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue May 19, 2015 1:00 am

I rather have subs out first before we get a dub. I would have to wait another year to watch the show subbed because Funimation wants the show out both subbed and dubbed at the same time.
She/Her

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue May 19, 2015 2:38 am

I honestly don't think it will happen. Neither simulsub or dub. Even though I wish it would.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue May 19, 2015 10:04 am

I'd love for Dragon Ball Super to get a simuldub, but realistically, it's not gonna happen.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue May 19, 2015 11:25 am

I really want a simulsub, but seeing how Kai didn't get one back in 2009 then I have a feeling that we might get one until next year. Toei will likely want a TV deal be made first.
She/Her

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue May 19, 2015 12:15 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I really want a simulsub, but seeing how Kai didn't get one back in 2009 then I have a feeling that we might get one until next year. Toei will likely want a TV deal be made first.
That's what I'm thinking too. Toei most likely want Dragon Ball on as many airwaves as possible straight out of the gate.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue May 19, 2015 1:42 pm

A simulcast may happen, it's possible. Kai not getting one isn't really an indication, because that's a recut of an existing series. One could say the main attraction of Kai is the new dub, so a simulcast would be pretty pointless.

Super is a brand new series, however. I wouldn't be surprised if a simulcast were to happen. Simuldub, however? Impossible. Several voice actors who play lead roles don't live in the state, so it can't be done well.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue May 19, 2015 2:09 pm

From this weekend:
Funi addresses the Dragonball Super elephant in the room- they know it exists, but are not currently involved. #FunimationPanel #ACen2015
https://twitter.com/NebsTV/status/599706692423659520

Things can certainly change, but time is only ticking down.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue May 19, 2015 2:38 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
Funi addresses the Dragonball Super elephant in the room- they know it exists, but are not currently involved. #FunimationPanel #ACen2015
https://twitter.com/NebsTV/status/599706692423659520.
This must be a bluff or flat out lie. Why the hell Funimation not want be involved as soon as possible in a new Dragon Ball series in 2015? It makes no sense. :|

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue May 19, 2015 2:41 pm

They never said they don't want to be involved as soon as possible. It's just not as simple as saying "hey, you want in on this new Dragon Ball anime?" though. It's a business and there are legal hoops to jump through with negotiations, contracts, etc.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Sanyo96

Post by Sanyo96 » Tue May 19, 2015 3:43 pm

It probably wouldn't cause Sean Schemmel (voice of Goku) doesn't live in Texas, which is where Funimation is based.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Tue May 19, 2015 4:06 pm

Lets be honest if you are Funimation what event would you want to announce Dragonball Super Acquisition at ACEN2015??? Definitely not. I am 85% confident that Dragon Ball Supers Acquisition will be announced at San Diego Comic Con that will drive as much attention as possible. I really hope for a Dragon Ball Z Kai Buu Saga announcement soon as well!!!

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue May 19, 2015 4:15 pm

There's a very good chance they are not even done drawing the thing; so much so they won't set an actual date in July; and we are talking about acquisitions. I mean, look at F. Schemmel recorded his dialog for the movie yesterday.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue May 19, 2015 4:23 pm

Toei Animation records to unfinished animation one month before an episode airs, according to what we've learned from Toriko #99, One Piece #590 and Disk Wars: Avengers. Extra time is then needed for any future animation corrections for the home video master, assuming Dragon Ball Super gets any corrections. One must also factor in whether or not the materials for foreign dubbing are even collected together. The production staff don't have enough time to make the series let alone send raw materials to the licensing department to ship over to foreign licensees.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Demon of Light
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Demon of Light » Tue May 19, 2015 7:46 pm

With the way Funimation works, there's no chance for a simuldub. I don't know why anyone would even want a simuldub, anyway. Such a thing would be rushed and riddled with errors and lousy dubbing, because they just won't have time to record as many takes as necessary for it to sound decent. A buffer would only do good for everyone.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue May 19, 2015 7:56 pm

Personally, I'd love a Broadcast dub, but that is unlikely. A simulcast however, would be more than sufficient.