"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by batistabus » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:06 pm

Gohan is wearing Piccolo's gi in Super Hero with a slightly different color variation. He's only appeared in that outfit as an adult in the Super manga, so it's pretty cool that the outfit continues to be used in the film. Since Gohan's been training with Piccolo and they have dinner together every day, it makes sense; it's not a slight at Goku or anything. I know they don't use that color variation in the color manga, but if the manga-only arcs are animated, I hope they use the DBS:SH colors. Also...I know Toyo removed the bang since that's what EoZ Gohan looks like, and his scholar look works without it, but in warrior clothes, he looks cooler with it...

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:54 pm

batistabus wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:06 pm Gohan is wearing Piccolo's gi in Super Hero with a slightly different color variation. He's only appeared in that outfit as an adult in the Super manga, so it's pretty cool that the outfit continues to be used in the film. Since Gohan's been training with Piccolo and they have dinner together every day, it makes sense; it's not a slight at Goku or anything. I know they don't use that color variation in the color manga, but if the manga-only arcs are animated, I hope they use the DBS:SH colors. Also...I know Toyo removed the bang since that's what EoZ Gohan looks like, and his scholar look works without it, but in warrior clothes, he looks cooler with it...
The color is the same as Goku's undershirt so I think it's an attempt at fusing both outfits, maybe.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:11 pm

The color used seems to be the same as the early Boo saga gi. It's a dark blue instead of Piccolo's purple.

But it's an odd choice because the rest of the design is the same as used in Cell arc and now in Super Manga (post ToP), with the belt without buckles and Piccolo's shoes (instead of Goku's shoes used in the Boo arc gi)

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:39 pm

Uhhhhh all the DBS chapters are available to read on Manga Plus...

Any particular reason why?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:18 am

Gas looks nothing like Kid Buu. I don't know why people say that they look the same.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:51 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:18 am Gas looks nothing like Kid Buu. I don't know why people say that they look the same.
He definitely resembles Kid Buu. If everyone seems to agree that he resembles Kid Buu and you somehow don’t see it, then it seems like that’s a personal problem.
How i predict the tournament will end:

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:42 pm

He kinda does look like Kid Buu with a wig and looks kinda weird when compared to the rest of the gang.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Smilodon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smilodon » Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:40 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:18 am Gas looks nothing like Kid Buu. I don't know why people say that they look the same.
Now he doesn't like at all....But before the upgrade he was like Kid Boo.
Same eyes, same facial expression, same body....

Vados Sama!

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:25 pm

Yuji wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:54 pm The color is the same as Goku's undershirt so I think it's an attempt at fusing both outfits, maybe.
Both outfits are "the same", i.e. Piccolos gi/Cell Games outfit. The difference is Toyotaro adapted the anime colors for said outfit, while the movie is using the original manga colors (and black wristbands, I guess). That's why the middle sash is red for both of them now, since Piccolo's design is based on the original manga colors now.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:11 pm

To me comparing Gas to Kid Buu is like comparing Hit to Cell. They have some facial features, but they still look very different by the end of the day.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:53 am

Thank Dende, it seems Granola saga is ending. There's really no need or reason to do really long sagas with chapters that are released on a turtle pace. A new saga will start next year. Hopefully it takes place around the tournament or after it this time.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:11 am

Officially confirmed, Granolah The Survivor Arc is reaching its climax and a new arc will begin in 2022!

https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1472 ... 40/photo/1

Already? I didn't expect it so soon.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:52 am

Damn... the arc is already getting to its endgame? Hmm. If that is the case then this arc really feels undercooked. I hope the new starting in 2022, will be starting in the midway point of that year to at least give the Granolah arc some breathing space to conclude satisfactorily.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:01 am

What...the FUCK?

HOW is this arc going to end in 2 chapters? Considering how slow the pacing is, I'd expected it to continue until after DBSSH releases.

HOWEVER...since a new arc is unprecedentedly on the horizon, I am going to predict that Freeza is gonna get involved. He's been taking his sweet time avoiding the Dragon Fighters, he can't simply be kept in the shelf forever.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:06 am

PurestEvil wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:01 am What...the FUCK?

HOW is this arc going to end in 2 chapters? Considering how slow the pacing is, I'd expected it to continue until after DBSSH releases.
Nobody said 2 chapters, it can even end as late as November 2022 and new one start in Dec.

I just hope Elec survives until the new arc because he's done nothing yet.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:10 am

Grimlock wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:53 am Thank Dende, it seems Granola saga is ending. There's really no need or reason to do really long sagas with chapters that are released on a turtle pace. A new saga will start next year. Hopefully it takes place around the tournament or after it this time.
The chapters have always been released like this, it's monthly after all. I don't see a problem with relatively long arcs (15-20 chapters) for monthly series, the problem is pacing. Toyo is writing this arc with pacing similar to Moro's arc and so I don't think it makes sense to finish Granolah's anytime soon (possibly before the movie's release). If that was the plan from the start then he should just make a more compact story like the old ones.

But at this point I would prefer him to simply follow a pattern similar to Moro's (in terms of size, not necessarily 24 chapters but just not a short arc) rather than rushing the ending to catch he movie or whatever they're planning. It just feels like we've barely started here

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:26 am

Yeah that sounds way too soon. With this information I predict it will end in June and new arc starts in July, so the December chapter and six more chapters to wrap everything up.
But maybe they'll shock me and end it even before that...

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:19 am

It will probably end the month before the movie and the next arc will start the same month with a promo image to watch the movie like Broly. So the movie will probably be canon to the manga continuity and fit between the Granolah arc and the next one.

So about 4-5 more chapters depending on when Superhero releases in the cinema.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:20 am

Okay, new info says a new arc will begin next year. Not necessarily after April in order to match up with DBSSH, which would give us a grand total of 5 more chapters including this month's one, but sometime next year.

I'm mostly gonna stick to my guns, honestly, I still don't think there's a way to maintain the current pacing, have the story reach a proper conclusion and end in time for whatever schedule it is they're following. One of the three is going to give. At the moment, I think it's gonna be the conclusion that'll end up losing out.
Though I guess it's possible the arc can end naturally without a proper conclusion if its ending is actually more of a renaming thing while the story itself carries on, still telling a continuous narrative. Like the Granolah arc becomes the Elec arc (maybe after a timeskip) or something along those lines. I didn't consider that before. Or it'll be played straight and the story stops on a dime, we'll see.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:27 am

Alruneia wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:20 am Okay, new info says a new arc will begin next year. Not necessarily after April in order to match up with DBSSH, which would give us a grand total of 5 more chapters including this month's one, but sometime next year.

I'm mostly gonna stick to my guns, honestly, I still don't think there's a way to maintain the current pacing, have the story reach a proper conclusion and end in time for whatever schedule it is they're following. One of the three is going to give. At the moment, I think it's gonna be the conclusion that'll end up losing out.
Though I guess it's possible the arc can end naturally without a proper conclusion if its ending is actually more of a renaming thing while the story itself carries on, still telling a continuous narrative. Like the Granolah arc becomes the Elec arc (maybe after a timeskip) or something along those lines. I didn't consider that before. Or it'll be played straight and the story stops on a dime, we'll see.
I think the smaller scale conflict with Gas right now will be solved by April and after the movie releases the manga will follow through with a timeskip into the greater Elec and/or Freeza arc with Superhero serving as the intermission between the larger scale conflict this arc will set up.