"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kinokima
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kinokima » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:12 pm

TKA wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:13 am And I'm saying you're wrong because this Vegeta is even less obsessed with surpassing Goku than his previous self. This Vegeta isn't the race realist, classist fuck he used to be. The rivalry is friendly. If he surpasses Goku now, he's even more likely to probably just go off golfing with Trunks. The Vegeta of the original story has a single-minded drive to prove his saiyan eugenics belief system correct by being stronger than Goku, and when he does become stronger than Goku, all he does is bask in his strength. This Vegeta's rivalry with Goku is friendly. This is the character growth he's achieved invented some crazy Vegeta in your head, dawg.

Instead of saying I don’t understand the character why don’t you use examples from Super (how the character actually is NOW to prove your point) . Again all your examples were from Z before his character arc ended.

Do you have an example in Super where Vegeta thought he was the strongest he could be and thus remained stagnant until Goku surpassed him again. When has Vegeta stopped training in Super and just basked in his power? Again the ONLY time he stopped training was when Bra was born and that had nothing to do with being satisfied with where he was. Even in this arc after training with Beerus he goes right to training again.

It is you who don’t understand the character. I never said Vegeta was perfect. I acknowledged his arrogance and over confidence. But you also seem to think he hasn’t grown at all as a fighter from who he was in Z or that Goku didn’t rub off on him at all.

Saying he would feel empty if he ever truly surpassed Goku (which again he never has truly done for long enough for it to matter) does not mean I think Vegeta is obsessed in a negative way with surpassing Goku and hates him like he did in Z. Obviously his rivalry is in a healthier place that doesn’t mean the rivalry still isn’t very important to him.

When I say he would feel empty it’s because Vegeta’s rivalry with Goku is NOT a negative thing and has only made him stronger and into a better fighter in the end. It’s the same with Goku who will always find stronger fighters. Vegeta’s journey of wanting to surpass Goku will never end either. It’s an ongoing rivalry. My whole point is while a Vegeta may desire to be No 1 the Journey is ultimately more important than the destination. Taking who he was in Z and saying he would just be satisfied if he ever surpasses Goku misses how important his rivalry with Goku ultimately is to Vegeta and his growth as a character.

Again I am not saying Vegeta is obsessed with beating Goku (the old Vegeta would never have stopped training to be there for his daughter’s birth) but it’s still very important to him. And while Vegeta may care about being No 1 (hence why he cares about Granolah’s claims to the No 1 in the Universe) the person he always cares the MOST about surpassing is Goku.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:31 pm

Krillin1994 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:34 am Those links were all to being faced to external challenges. I said he didn’t revel in fighting for fighting sake. He obviously differs from Goku in that regard, I’m not trying to say he’s the same as Goku just that he’s being exposed to actual martial arts philosophy under teachers (Whis, spirit control, Beerus with destruction) and training alongside goku who has been raised on martial arts philosophy. People can change even if it’s not a total immediate process

Also are you saying you need a character to literally state that they’ve changed their goals and motivations to accept a change in a character?

- Also this manga Vegeta who threw away Whis’ teachings still then fought side by side with Goku and they used the results of Whis’ teachings to fight Jiren in a very synchronised manner. Just because he gave his proud Saiyan bravado. He then went and trained on yardrat in the next arc. Sure he complained about the need for tricky techniques instead of strength, but he didn’t complain about requiring tutelage to get stronger. Then when he was there he was respectful to them and actually was a far better student there than Goku was, despite Goku spending a year there. That’s because Vegeta has adopted a more spiritual martial artists mentality. Z Vegeta would’ve got nothing from yardrat.

He very much embraced their training and culture - going so far as to respect them to not use IT themselves breaking their own ways to take him to Moro. Then we had Vegeta learn IT on the spot after just a couple of attempts. But please show me where he didn’t take it seriously. You can argue maybe he didn’t believe it’s effectiveness until Moro’s goon came then he saw how much he’d improved. But I think if he didn’t take it seriously his spirit control wouldn’t have improved.
Yeah not sure where anyone is getting that he didn’t take the Yadrat training seriously and didn’t care about it. As far as we know he didn’t throw away what he learned there “Spirit Control” although the writers certainly may have thrown it away.

As for “throwing away” Whis’s teaching he just said Ultra Instinct doesn’t suit him and Whis happened to agreed with him.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:56 pm

I keep seeing complaints that Gas is a Boo clone. People had similar complaints with Moro to Cell, but I won't get into that again.

The only thing Boo and Gas have in common is that they're short and have no eyebrows. They both have nose slits, but from the profile view, Gas has a different nose. Ears, eyes, head piece, clothing, overall aesthetic, skin color, personality...completely different.

Gohan is much closer to Yamcha than Moro is to Cell or Gas is to Boo. Dragon Ball characters, being very stylized, sometimes share similar design elements. I find it odd when people get stuck on this. Some complained about Hit looking like Cell for a while, but that subsided eventually, so hopefully this also passes.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:57 pm

The highlight of the arc continues to be the Heaters. It has been all been brain and not brawn.
This must also be the most screen time given to villains/others in a long time.

Seeing a bit of training is nice. Beerus being increasingly annoyed by Goku is lovely and I hope it has further consequences.

I hope Granolah can be reasoned with after the predictable scuff, it would a disappointment if he just turn into a buffoon blinded by rage. It would be just another Broly...
I also want Freeza to appear and influence the plot.

Dislikes I have is the special properties of the Cereal Dragon Balls, it's so blatantly self-serving to the plot since no explanations is given.

I'm also concerned about Gas and the power-scalling. Granolah disposed of 7-3 but went for their weak spots, his power at the time is still debatable. But neither should be anywhere near God level.
So I'm wondering if Gas thinks he's a big deal because he might be on the cusp of being stronger than Namek Freeza.

Finally in regards to the kiss. That kind of crap shouldn't here, it's not as disgusting as early Dragon Ball but it's still a character who's portrayed as good/neutral demanding "sexual favors", it's creepy.
But honestly after that abhorrent anime episode with Muten Roshi, this is amazing progress...

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:02 pm

batistabus wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:56 pm I keep seeing complaints that Gas is a Boo clone. People had similar complaints with Moro to Cell, but I won't get into that again.

The only thing Boo and Gas have in common is that they're short and have no eyebrows. They both have nose slits, but from the profile view, Gas has a different nose. Ears, eyes, head piece, clothing, overall aesthetic, skin color, personality...completely different.

Gohan is much closer to Yamcha than Moro is to Cell or Gas is to Boo. Dragon Ball characters, being very stylized, sometimes share similar design elements. I find it odd when people get stuck on this. Some complained about Hit looking like Cell for a while, but that subsided eventually, so hopefully this also passes.

I honestly don’t think Gas looks like Boo at all. What because they both have slanted eyes? I am just not seeing it.

GalaxyBusterBuu
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GalaxyBusterBuu » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:06 pm

I don't see the similarities either. They don't look that similar...

But don't worry everyone, the old Namek guy is likely going to die soon, either his age catches up to him or someone else kills him(someone like Freeza cuz it's Freeza). The Cereal Dragon Balls will be inactive the moment he dies, hopefully he gets a quick and painless death(not likely in this series). Either way, don't expect the balls to come out unscathed by the end of this arc...

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:15 pm

GalaxyBusterBuu wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:06 pm I don't see the similarities either. They don't look that similar...

But don't worry everyone, the old Namek guy is likely going to die soon, either his age catches up to him or someone else kills him(someone like Freeza cuz it's Freeza). The Cereal Dragon Balls will be inactive the moment he dies, hopefully he gets a quick and painless death(not likely in this series). Either way, don't expect the balls to come out unscathed by the end of this arc...
I’m feeling the reason the balls don’t deactivate is because they’re linked to Monaito’s life force. Each use of them drains his energy further. Would be a dark twist of fate for Granolah hastening his friends death/ give him an epiphany of the cost of his grudge on those he cares about.

Also give him some extra motivation against the heeters when they use them and finish him off.

Can see it as they use them and then suddenly Monaito’s condition worsens with him revealing the link/ even more so if they abuse them and use multiple wishes.

Even though there’s only two dragonballs, doubtful they’ve been used often if there’s just been one sitting with Monaito. Granolah lives away from the new population (forgotten their name), so lack of recent use means that the life drain hasn’t been any concern to Monaito.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:16 pm

I don't think Vegeta will become GoD, to be honest. He still cares about his family and will not like to outlive them.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:17 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:16 pm I don't think Vegeta will become GoD, to be honest. He still cares about his family and will not like to outlive them.
Do we explicitly know it’s the position of GoD that grants the lifespan, or if those with ridiculously long lifespans just so happen to become GoDs

For some reason I can’t see Toppo having that lifespan

GalaxyBusterBuu
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GalaxyBusterBuu » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:23 pm

Still, what do think will happen when Goku, Vegeta and Granolah realize they've been bamboozled? I imagine they'll be really pissed when they find out they've been played. The Heeters better ramp up their strength because I imagine those three will set course for them at the speed of light once they realize the situation.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:31 pm

Krillin1994 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:17 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:16 pm I don't think Vegeta will become GoD, to be honest. He still cares about his family and will not like to outlive them.
Do we explicitly know it’s the position of GoD that grants the lifespan, or if those with ridiculously long lifespans just so happen to become GoDs

Beerus has been around for millions of years, and he was a GoD before Shin was the Kaioshin of Universe 7. He has shown no sign of aging at all whatsoever. Would Vegeta want to be around for millions of years out living Goku and everyone on Earth? I doubt it.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:43 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:31 pm

Beerus has been around for millions of years, and he was a GoD before Shin was the Kaioshin of Universe 7. He has shown no sign of aging at all whatsoever. Would Vegeta want to be around for millions of years out living Goku and everyone on Earth? I doubt it.
But is it just that Beerus’ species lives for a very long time? And his race show promise hence Champa becoming a GoD also

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:12 pm

Krillin1994 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:43 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:31 pm

But is it just that Beerus’ species lives for a very long time? And his race show promise hence Champa becoming a GoD also
His would be the longest living race in the multiverse for sure, since even the shinjin rarely live that long, so it's really doubtful.

Both Beerus, Champa and Belmod have more than 100.000 years of age, and all of the GoD's seem to know each other from way back, so it's probably the state of God of Destruction that grants them their long lives.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:35 pm

batistabus wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:56 pm I keep seeing complaints that Gas is a Boo clone. People had similar complaints with Moro to Cell, but I won't get into that again.
This was such an insane comparison that I was legitimately flabbergasted and thought maybe I got the short one's name wrong. :lol:
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:45 pm

Kinokima wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:01 pm
Miracles wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:40 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:33 pm

It's not. Why would it be? I'm not a fan of forcing a woman to kiss a guy and not using it as a moment to rebuke this sort of bullshit. I think it's inappropriate material given the context of this being a child-aimed comic.

I otherwise liked the chapter but that doesn't mean I'm going to just let that kind of shit pass.
If you read carefully, Zuno didn't force Maki to give a kiss. It was the offering and she didn't have to agree.
If she didn’t agree he wouldn’t give her what she wants. She isn’t physically forced to do it but it’s coercion all the same. It would be similar to a boss being like I will give you a promotion for a kiss. It’s very much a form of sexual harassment.
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:00 pm
Miracles wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:40 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:33 pm

It's not. Why would it be? I'm not a fan of forcing a woman to kiss a guy and not using it as a moment to rebuke this sort of bullshit. I think it's inappropriate material given the context of this being a child-aimed comic.

I otherwise liked the chapter but that doesn't mean I'm going to just let that kind of shit pass.
If you read carefully, Zuno didn't force Maki to give a kiss. It was the offering and she didn't have to agree.
And I'm not blaming Zuno, I'm blaming the real people who wrote and published this development. They wanted to write a scene where a women was made uncomfortable and that's fine and dandy in a completely different context but here it's inappropriate.
Considering the context, Zuno was rebuked. Since Maki told him that was harassment.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:13 pm

GalaxyBusterBuu wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:23 pm Still, what do think will happen when Goku, Vegeta and Granolah realize they've been bamboozled? I imagine they'll be really pissed when they find out they've been played. The Heeters better ramp up their strength because I imagine those three will set course for them at the speed of light once they realize the situation.
Granolah will probably start questioning the Heeters and aim to also get rid of them as they tried to get rid of him, but Goku and Vegeta won’t give a fuck.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

GalaxyBusterBuu
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GalaxyBusterBuu » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:22 pm

emperior wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:13 pm
GalaxyBusterBuu wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:23 pm Still, what do think will happen when Goku, Vegeta and Granolah realize they've been bamboozled? I imagine they'll be really pissed when they find out they've been played. The Heeters better ramp up their strength because I imagine those three will set course for them at the speed of light once they realize the situation.
Granolah will probably start questioning the Heeters and aim to also get rid of them as they tried to get rid of him, but Goku and Vegeta won’t give a fuck.
Fair. Still, I imagine Goku and Vegeta won't appreciate being accused of being 'saiayn assassins' and being labeled as 'Freeza's men' when Granolah confronts them about their 'crimes'.

Granolah is gonna be fucking pissed though, realizing he's been tricked for literally decades at this point and that he's been living with the people who fucked his planet's population over for years.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:47 pm

GalaxyBusterBuu wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:22 pm Fair. Still, I imagine Goku and Vegeta won't appreciate being accused of being 'saiayn assassins' and being labeled as 'Freeza's men' when Granolah confronts them about their 'crimes'.

Granolah is gonna be fucking pissed though, realizing he's been tricked for literally decades at this point and that he's been living with the people who fucked his planet's population over for years.
Yup, if there is one thing Dragon Ball is good at, it is producing an audience's catharsis
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:17 pm

TKA wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:35 pm
This was such an insane comparison that I was legitimately flabbergasted and thought maybe I got the short one's name wrong. :lol:
Its been kinda hard for me to keep Gas and Oil's names straight so far...

((By the way, I really appreciate your Vegeta analysis.))

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:28 pm

the issue with moro is that that aspect makes it look more generic than when it was a goat ... the face is too repeated nowadays in addition to the references

gas only has some buu traits ... out of that so far it's different in everything