"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Alruneia
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Alruneia » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:52 am

Yuji wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:27 am
Alruneia wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:20 am Okay, new info says a new arc will begin next year. Not necessarily after April in order to match up with DBSSH, which would give us a grand total of 5 more chapters including this month's one, but sometime next year.

I'm mostly gonna stick to my guns, honestly, I still don't think there's a way to maintain the current pacing, have the story reach a proper conclusion and end in time for whatever schedule it is they're following. One of the three is going to give. At the moment, I think it's gonna be the conclusion that'll end up losing out.
Though I guess it's possible the arc can end naturally without a proper conclusion if its ending is actually more of a renaming thing while the story itself carries on, still telling a continuous narrative. Like the Granolah arc becomes the Elec arc (maybe after a timeskip) or something along those lines. I didn't consider that before. Or it'll be played straight and the story stops on a dime, we'll see.
I think the smaller scale conflict with Gas right now will be solved by April and after the movie releases the manga will follow through with a timeskip into the greater Elec and/or Freeza arc with Superhero serving as the intermission between the larger scale conflict this arc will set up.
Yeah, it could work out if there's gonna be an arc split like that. In that case, all that's really left to do right now is to have the current Granolah vs Gas fight, and then probably Goku vs Gas (especially with the Bardock angle existing) while a hook for the remainder of the Heeter story gets set up. Even with the current pacing it is possible to get that much done before the movie releases. It's more like an end of an act than a conclusion to a full arc, but it's still probably the best case scenario, honestly.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:53 am

Alruneia wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:20 am Though I guess it's possible the arc can end naturally without a proper conclusion if its ending is actually more of a renaming thing while the story itself carries on, still telling a continuous narrative. Like the Granolah arc becomes the Elec arc (maybe after a timeskip) or something along those lines. I didn't consider that before. Or it'll be played straight and the story stops on a dime, we'll see.
I only see this being possible (a continuous narrative, kind of what happened with Moro - Granolah) if the manga doesn't adhere to the Time Skip that we'll see in DBS SH, which honestly I find difficult. Moro arc started right after the events of the Broly movie and most likely the same will happen here, it seems natural that Toyo tries to follow the events written by Toriyama.

Because Granolah has 3 years left, he probably would already be dead by the time SH starts, so the story would continue without him? And what would Elec be doing all these years if the arc ended with a cliffhanger with him planning something bigger?
I don't know, maybe this could work if the planning of this arc has specifically taken into account what will happen in the movie, which is possible I guess since it was written after the production of the movie started.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:57 am

Yuji wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:19 am It will probably end the month before the movie and the next arc will start the same month with a promo image to watch the movie like Broly. So the movie will probably be canon to the manga continuity and fit between the Granolah arc and the next one.

So about 4-5 more chapters depending on when Superhero releases in the cinema.
I hope that's the case and it isn't an arc taking place after Granolah but before Super Hero. I don't really mind DBS being a midquel but then that would be a midquel within a midquel! It would be too much! Maybe the Granolah arc ends with a three year timeskip since that's how much lifespan Granolah has left and coincidentally when Super Hero takes place. It's crazy to think we would only be a few months away from EoZ!

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:12 am

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:53 am Because Granolah has 3 years left, he probably would already be dead by the time SH starts, so the story would continue without him?
DBSSH should be about 3 years (a little less actually) after the Granolah arc judging from Pan's age, so Granolah would tragically die in the middle of the final battle as his lifespan ends, I guess. Okay, that exact development would be a lot like a Merus repeat, but in general, I've always had a feeling that Granolah's specific 3-year lifespan would come into play somehow, and a timeskip like this is definitely a candidate for that "somehow".
TheSaiyanGod wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:53 am And what would Elec be doing all these years if the arc ended with a cliffhanger with him planning something bigger?
I mean, that's an unanswerable question at the moment, we don't have the info. It could be mass-producing custom 7-3s, it could be related to the unknown questions he had for Zuno, it could even be intentionally waiting out Granolah's lifespan. If a cliffhanger ending and a timeskip is the way the arc is going (and I am keeping all this as just "if"s), it'll be set up in the coming chapters. But we don't know yet.
TheSaiyanGod wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:53 am I don't know, maybe this could work if the planning of this arc has specifically taken into account what will happen in the movie, which is possible I guess since it was written after the production of the movie started.
It should all be possible. Not guaranteed, not at all, but possible.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:13 am

Skar wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:57 amI hope that's the case and it isn't an arc taking place after Granolah but before Super Hero.
I think that, if the arc leaves an open end to lead directly in to another arc, this is probably the likeliest course of events, though - particularly if Granolah manages to come out on top and take Gas out.

4 or 5 Chapters is ample to build a bit more linkage with Bardock in and resolve the main conflict with new input from Goku and/or Vegeta; the only thing it seems like it wouldn't be enough to realise is whatever plot Elec is hinting he has in his back pocket (unless this itself is something that abruptly resolves the arc).

In such a scenario, it would be more fitting for Elec to bide his time and wait for Granolah to (be about to?) die before setting his big play in motion, whatever that is, but the impression coming out of what little we know about Super Hero so far is that Goku and Vegeta don't really seem to have anything much outstanding hanging over them at that time; they're just doing some carefree training with Broly. It seems likeliest that whatever happens next is wrapped up in the main continuity by then.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:19 am

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:13 am
Skar wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:57 amI hope that's the case and it isn't an arc taking place after Granolah but before Super Hero.
I think that, if the arc leaves an open end to lead directly in to another arc, this is probably the likeliest course of events, though - particularly if Granolah manages to come out on top and take Gas out.

4 or 5 Chapters is ample to build a bit more linkage with Bardock in and resolve the main conflict with new input from Goku and/or Vegeta; the only thing it seems like it wouldn't be enough to realise is whatever plot Elec is hinting he has in his back pocket (unless this itself is something that abruptly resolves the arc).

In such a scenario, it would be more fitting for Elec to bide his time and wait for Granolah to (be about to?) die before setting his big play in motion, whatever that is, but the impression coming out of what little we know about Super Hero so far is that Goku and Vegeta don't really seem to have anything much outstanding hanging over them at that time; they're just doing some carefree training with Broly. It seems likeliest that whatever happens next is wrapped up in the main continuity by then.
I don't think Goku and Vegeta being aloof is proof of anything though. They don't seem to be concerned with whatever plans Freeza has (or Goku doesn't at least, Vegeta is performatively aware but not very proactive in snuffing him out despite being the stronger of the two), so I don't think they'd care much if this arc ends with Elec running away to gear up for some large scale plan.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:27 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:10 amThe chapters have always been released like this, it's monthly after all. I don't see a problem with relatively long arcs (15-20 chapters) for monthly series, the problem is pacing. Toyo is writing this arc with pacing similar to Moro's arc and so I don't think it makes sense to finish Granolah's anytime soon (possibly before the movie's release). If that was the plan from the start then he should just make a more compact story like the old ones.

But at this point I would prefer him to simply follow a pattern similar to Moro's (in terms of size, not necessarily 24 chapters but just not a short arc) rather than rushing the ending to catch he movie or whatever they're planning. It just feels like we've barely started here
If you're gonna do long sagas and the pacing is slow (or even if it isn't that slow), then it should be a weekly series. Even I, who doesn't follow the manga closely, felt like we were stuck for ages during Universe Survival saga and Moro saga. Long sagas, a slow pace and being released monthly is just... not the ideal.

Then again, I should say that I don't have patience to watch or read anything long nowadays, I prefer short(er) materials. So there's that.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:07 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:27 pmIf you're gonna do long sagas and the pacing is slow (or even if it isn't that slow), then it should be a weekly series. Even I, who doesn't follow the manga closely, felt like we were stuck for ages during Universe Survival saga and Moro saga. Long sagas, a slow pace and being released monthly is just... not the ideal.

Then again, I should say that I don't have patience to watch or read anything long nowadays, I prefer short(er) materials. So there's that.
I always recommend bingewatching/reading if someone feels a story is too slow. I've seen some fans who bingeread the Moro arc at the end and they didn't mind the pacing as much since they got to experience it in a few hours vs having to wait two years. It's not an ideal solution but I don't think it's possible for the DBS manga to become weekly due to the kind of manga it is. I think almost every spin-off or sequel of popular manga series is released monthly.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:52 pm

Granolah arc already being on its climax is surprising, but I still don't expect it to end before the movie comes out.

They said Toriyama spent a lot of time working on this arc but the main formula has been alike DBS Broly. Goku/Vegeta dealing with the sins of their race and their opponent Broly/Granolah being manipulated by someone (Paragus and Freeza / Heeters).

No idea what the next arc will be about but since Toriyama is not getting creative, the next story coming from him or Toyotaro is indifferent to me.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:49 pm

This arc feels like it is going by quickly compare to the Moro saga.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:52 pm

Skar wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:07 pm
Grimlock wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:27 pmIf you're gonna do long sagas and the pacing is slow (or even if it isn't that slow), then it should be a weekly series. Even I, who doesn't follow the manga closely, felt like we were stuck for ages during Universe Survival saga and Moro saga. Long sagas, a slow pace and being released monthly is just... not the ideal.

I always recommend bingewatching/reading if someone feels a story is too slow. I've seen some fans who bingeread the Moro arc at the end and they didn't mind the pacing as much since they got to experience it in a few hours vs having to wait two years. It's not an ideal solution but I don't think it's possible for the DBS manga to become weekly due to the kind of manga it is. I think almost every spin-off or sequel of popular manga series is released monthly.
The issue isn't it being monthly. Several popular monthly manga don't have this pacing issue like FMA and AOT. Even the Boruto manga has better pacing.

The issue with the Super manga is Toyo is writing it like it's a weekly manga, but has to pad things out for a monthly. Like a lot of chapters could have been combine together and a lot of fluffed removed and it was greatly improved the pacing. Like Goku vs Granola didn't have to be so many chapters and Vegeta's fight could have also been shortened by about a chapter since SSBE Vegeta vs Granola was an entire chapter so UE could be the cliffhanger when the fight didn't need that many pages.

Toyo also have this thing where he pads things out, but leave other important things vague. Like in the Moro arc, he spent several chapters with Vegeta and his training, yet barely touched on Goku's training, which is why Goku bonding with Merus falls flat for many people because Toyo didn't build on that emotional connection. Instead, we got a chapter dedicated to Diet Zarbon.
FortuneSSJ wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:52 pm Granolah arc already being on its climax is surprising, but I still don't expect it to end before the movie comes out.

They said Toriyama spent a lot of time working on this arc but the main formula has been alike DBS Broly. Goku/Vegeta dealing with the sins of their race and their opponent Broly/Granolah being manipulated by someone (Paragus and Freeza / Heeters).

No idea what the next arc will be about but since Toriyama is not getting creative, the next story coming from him or Toyotaro is indifferent to me.
I don't see how Toriyama spent a lot time on this arc when most of he storylines, character design, and Vegeta's new form was all Toyo. Also, the Broly movie wasn't about dealing sins of the Saiyans since everything was literally only on King Vegeta and not the the Saiyans as a race. Paragus literally had nothing against Goku and didn't even acknowledged his existence. Broly was just along for the ride while Granolah was willing, so he's closer to Paragus than Broly. In short, Paragus' beef with Vegeta was personal. Even if Vegeta is being blamed for crap his dad, King Vegeta did he did all those things on his son's behalf, which is why Paragus hates Vegeta while Granola is far less personal since he doesn't even know Goku and Vegeta, and he isn't even the ones he wants. He wants Frieza.

Everything points to Toriyama doing Super Hero while doing minor things for the manga. He was more involved with this arc since he came up with the Heeters, Oatmeal, and the new Namekian lore, but even the Heeters wasn't something Toriyama could bother to design.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:14 am

Skar wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:07 pmIt's not an ideal solution but I don't think it's possible for the DBS manga to become weekly due to the kind of manga it is. I think almost every spin-off or sequel of popular manga series is released monthly.
Really? I didn't know that. Do they often see new materials as promotional stuff or something? I don't know if that's a common practice but it feels a bit weird if that's the case. You'd think that would happen only with lesser known franchises...
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:03 am

Grimlock wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:14 amReally? I didn't know that. Do they often see new materials as promotional stuff or something? I don't know if that's a common practice but it feels a bit weird if that's the case. You'd think that would happen only with lesser known franchises...
I've seen people in the General Franchise section who haven't watched or read DBS until years later in order to binge it. I usually wait to binge a new series no matter how popular it is so some people might've decided to do that with DB.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:10 am

I knew we were near the climax. A lot can happen in 4-5 chapters. The pacing of this ending will be similar to U6 and ToP

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:51 am

Oh god, a new arc? I am not even excited anymore.

So Granolah and co. will defeat Gas aaaaand… that’s it?
Not really taking this manga seriously anymore. There were some nice bits and pieces in Moro arc at least, as I loved the Buu/Kaioshin connection going back to Z for example or Merus, but Moro himself was kind of just there, not turning out really interesting in the end.

Have this kind of feeling that despite the 3D not sitting really much with people so far, the Super Hero movie will be much more fun and more interesting than the last two manga arcs combined.

I can repeat some of the sentiments that some people here voiced over the years. Just maybe, let Dragon Ball die for few years again.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:30 am

MCDaveG wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:51 am Oh god, a new arc? I am not even excited anymore.

So Granolah and co. will defeat Gas aaaaand… that’s it?
Not really taking this manga seriously anymore. There were some nice bits and pieces in Moro arc at least, as I loved the Buu/Kaioshin connection going back to Z for example or Merus, but Moro himself was kind of just there, not turning out really interesting in the end.

Have this kind of feeling that despite the 3D not sitting really much with people so far, the Super Hero movie will be much more fun and more interesting than the last two manga arcs combined.

I can repeat some of the sentiments that some people here voiced over the years. Just maybe, let Dragon Ball die for few years again.
I say let the manga die, it's just Toyo having fun and he can't do much when he is restricted (which imo is a good thing). Just let him work on Heroes again so he can go crazy all he wants.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:40 am

I've enjoyed this arc but I'm excited at the prospect of a new one. I think we can only take "heading into its climax" to mean the story won't slow down from here until it's over, which doesn't mean much.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:24 am

OLKv3 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:10 am I knew we were near the climax. A lot can happen in 4-5 chapters. The pacing of this ending will be similar to U6 and ToP
Right, we still need to see a lot:

-The 10 questions for Zuno
-73 role/intel and maybe an army
-Bardock and Gas in the past
-Frieza (?)
-Monaito
-Elec ecc

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:28 am

MCDaveG wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:51 am So Granolah and co. will defeat Gas aaaaand… that’s it?
No, definitely not. Elec HAS to do something. If he gets offed unceremonially I'd be very angry, so I'm still keeping my hopes up. They had like free 10 questions to Zuno and we only know like 2 of them. That's a lot of wisdom he gets to posses now, lots of writing potential around it.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:06 pm

While I was never big on this arc, found it more boring than Moro and I didn't even like Moro all that much, it's kind of lackluster where the climatic is going. Depending on the climatic and ending, this entire arc feels like an excuse for Goku and Vegeta to used their new forms against some rando for several chapters with a thinly covered plot. Especially if Frieza makes no appearance when he's the center of everything and Granola's true target while Goku and Vegeta were supposed to be side-dishes.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.