More surviving saiyans in Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Re: More surviving saiyans in Super?

Post by Marco Polo » Thu May 21, 2015 8:21 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:But I would like to see the original super saiyan god.
100% agreed. They can easily make non-surviving Saiyans return. Either the original Super Saiyan God, or one of his 5 pure-hearted comrades, or the last previous Super Saiyan. Goku is good friends with all the gods, he can come and go to Heaven or Hell or the various gods' realms anytime he wants; this provides a lot of opportunities for non-living (i.e. dead) characters to show up.

This could provide a new and refreshing dynamic because it would be a character from the past (not to mention a character who has resided in Heaven for far longer than Goku). It would almost be a reversal of Future Trunks who came from the future.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri May 22, 2015 6:19 am

Would be cool to meet the original Super Saiyan God, and having him stronger than Whis because he has trained for many many years since his death. Would also be cool to see his comrades, as those were strong warriors and pure-hearted ones so I don't see why they shouldn't have kept their bodies in afterlife. Would be awesome if they told Goku and Vegeta the origins of the Saiyan race, and more to their story.
But don't bring back surviving saiyans because it would make Goku and Vegeta less special and also all of Freeza's saga pretty much stupid.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Demon of Light
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Demon of Light » Fri May 22, 2015 11:32 am

It would be interesting to meet the original Super Saiyan God, I guess? But between Goku, Vegeta, their boys, Pan and Tarble, I think we have more than enough surviving Saiyans and Saiyan-blooded characters already.

...Would totally be on board for a little half-Saiyan half-whatever Gure is, though. It would be tiny and hilarious and perfectly Dragon Ball.

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Fri May 22, 2015 12:52 pm

It's kinda ironic that the main focus here is "no more saiyans". I'm on board with the idea of expanding the family through the existing cast, including Gohan, Goten and Trunks but...y'all know them's gonna breed more saiyans, right? :lol:

We can all go on and on about not wanting more serious fighting/drama/saiyans/transformations/of the same. But then we get more of it through movies and specials, only to realize we DO want it, as long as it's done right.

Does anyone really expect not a single other saiyan? No new transformations somewhere along the line, at all? Before F, Toriyama said Goku wouldn't need further transformations....because twist, he changed the basic transformation.

There most likely will be another saiyan or more. And I'll be okay with it, as long as they're interesting, funny, cool and well placed within the story.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Fri May 22, 2015 3:13 pm

Well, if I remember correctly, Whis said the majority of Saiyans were on Earth. That's five Saiyans... perhaps 6 if Whis could tell Pan's existence. We assume the other he mentions would be just Tarble... but there could actually be more. Perhaps one or two additional saiyans?

To be honest I would like a surviving female Saiyan as Basaku and voltlunok mentioned at the start of the thread. I also agree that would be very interesting to see her arrive with a half-saiyan offspring to add to the kids team.

It would be easy to explain why they hadn't shown up until now. They had been into hiding because the remnants of the Freeza Empire were still about... and also the Galactic Patrol. With Vegeta and Kakarot getting rid of the first for good, they would only have to worry about the GP and decide it is best to meet the rest on Earth.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri May 22, 2015 4:28 pm

My idea for Original Super Saiyan God was to have him connected to Vegeta's family. An Ancestor.
He would be the reason why Vegeta's family became royalty.

They always make Bardock badass but everytime we get a flashback about King vegeta, filler or not, he's just getting owned.
Either by Freeza or Beerus.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Fri May 22, 2015 4:42 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:My idea for Original Super Saiyan God was to have him connected to Vegeta's family. An Ancestor.

They always make Bardock badass but everytime we get a flashback about King vegeta, filler or not, he's just getting owned.
Yeah....no. I'd rather the Original Super Saiyan God be tied to neither family and left autonomous. Having him be tied to Vegeta's family just to give his bloodline some badass points really doesn't flow well. If the original SSJG had to be tied to the main characters by blood then I would say have it be far back enough that it could possibly be a genetic link between the two families. But really that's it. Personally I don't want to see the original SSJG just because that would be a bigger stretch then a surviving saiyan in my opinion.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri May 22, 2015 4:45 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:My idea for Original Super Saiyan God was to have him connected to Vegeta's family. An Ancestor.

That idea certainly could work. Especially considering the Original Super Saiyan God looks like Vegeta, too:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri May 22, 2015 4:52 pm

I think the original Super Saiyan God is better being left alone as well along with the original Legendary Super Saiyan. Somethings are better off as mysteries.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri May 22, 2015 5:09 pm

No thanks.

It would ruin Goku's acceptance of his heritage in the Namek arc, as well as he being, at the time, the last surviving full blooded Saiyan. Tarble already sort of hurt that, but it was just one goofy special. It would be such a fan-fic-y thing to do.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri May 22, 2015 5:11 pm

From Universe 7? I wouldn't like to see that at all.

From other universes though, depending on how it's executed? Why not?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri May 22, 2015 5:15 pm

Z began&ended with the saiyans&Freeza so that part of the story should be left as it is.

Super should focus on completely new things such as the 12 universes and leave what was in Z alone.

So no more Saiyans,no more Freeza&no more androids.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Fri May 22, 2015 6:01 pm

But the original Super Saiyan God was a good guy who was killed by evil Saiyans who were the majority of the Saiyans. Vegeta's family rules the Saiyans and classifies as evil. I don't think they're related.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri May 22, 2015 10:10 pm

What's the point of featuring the Original SSJ? I mean, besides a flashback? He's weak compared to Goku and Vegeta in his god form, and compared to everyone else in his base form. He couldn't control his god powers, and he lost to "evil" saiyans, who I'm sure have PLs on par with Frieza's men...
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Sat May 23, 2015 2:35 am

I would hate to see such a thing to happen. But if the Tsufuruians are confirmed to be canon, I'd like to see a Toriyama version of one of that people or two as Toriyama admitted that he likes to introduce characters in pairs.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sat May 23, 2015 5:09 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:What's the point of featuring the Original SSJ? I mean, besides a flashback? He's weak compared to Goku and Vegeta in his god form, and compared to everyone else in his base form. He couldn't control his god powers, and he lost to "evil" saiyans, who I'm sure have PLs on par with Freeza's men...
Firstly, we don't know if he was weak. All we know is that he couldn't achieve his goal before running out of time and losing the powerup. Besides, you're talking about when he was alive. But he's had time to train in the Afterlife since then, and we don't know how much time. Could have been millions of years ago for all we know. Who knows, maybe he actually mastered SSG since then? He'd still be weaker than Goku of course, since Oracle Fish didn't tell Beerus about him, but whatever.

Secondly, thinking that power level is the only way to judge whether a character can be interesting or not is... bad, and shows that you don't even understand Akira Toriyama's style. Pre-Raditz DB lasted years with a focus on adventure and humor and not much real focus on actual power levels. Characters like Bulma, Jaco, even Yajirobe are well-liked and important despite physical strength not being their biggest aspect. Hell, people still love Krillin and Tien and want them to stay involved despite having been completely and definitely outclassed years ago.

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Sat May 23, 2015 5:41 am

True, there are so many ways you can make new character interesting wihout pumping him with power- having new skills, knowledge etc..
You really believe that something like this could happen? Because I don't. Apparently Topriyama used all his creativity in that field to create Mr. Satan.

For new Saiyans... no, please don't. Sure, it has a lot of dramatic potential as a source of tension and drama- everywhere but not here. Toriyama already proved that he is not able to create alien race with own culture, morality and background that may not totally fit in our boxes but neverthless be interesting and have some reedeming qualities. No, he created them as complete monsters plus a pair of weirdos who just happen to share contemporary Western morality. Complete with female who is too gentle to fight, because there's no way that someone could be a warrior and a mother. No, thanks.

...Would totally be on board for a little half-Saiyan half-whatever Gure is, though. It would be tiny and hilarious and perfectly Dragon Ball.
It would be sick as hell, because (unless they run into Abh or something) it would imply that he had his way with Hello Kitty's bastard sister. And that's so wrong. :( :x
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat May 23, 2015 1:39 pm

Reading the above comments, it would fucking awesome if the Original Super Saiyan God connected Vegeta and Goku's ancestors.
And to the ones saying "King Vegeta is evil so it makes no sense" it could be possible that Original SSG's son turned out to be evil and tried to kill his father to take his throne, or even better, that the Original SSG lived in the Saiyan's home planet so we are talking of hundreds of years ago.
Also could be a good twist if the Legendary Super Saiyan killed him and his friends, destroying the planet in the process and making Saiyans escape to Tsufuru's planets.

And the oracle wouldn't tell Beerus to fight against a dead person. The original SSG could be alive and training in the afterlife.
It would be awesome if he managed to perfect his SSG form, reaching a new form that will be taught to Goku and Vegeta when the plot requires it. The form would require having the tail maybe?
Oh, and AT likes to introduce characters as pair, so he could introduce him with a Saiyan friend who is his sparring partner. The other 4 pure Saiyans maybe couldn't keep their bodies because they weren't powerful enough, or AT could also let us know of the others, who knows.

This Original SSG could look similar to Vegito. And he should be stronger than Whis.
WHAT IF he actually survived and became a God of Destruction of another universe? IT WOULD BE AWESOME.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Vaughngief
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vaughngief » Sat May 23, 2015 2:06 pm

I don't want anymore Saiyans. I don't even want a major focus on Trunks, Goten (unless they age), and even Gohan. Goku and Vegeta should be the prime focus. I much, much, much rather we have more attention given to the human characters. They only saiyans related characters I somewhat would like to see make a quick appearance are Bardock and Gine.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat May 23, 2015 8:49 pm

Gure and Tarble have a kid? Sure. Random Saiyans out of the wood work? I'd rather not.