Ressurrection F in 3D?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ss4songoku
Beyond Newbie

Ressurrection F in 3D?

Post by ss4songoku » Wed May 27, 2015 2:13 pm

What do you think the chances are that Funi will release RF on 3d blu-ray?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Ressurrection F in 3D?

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed May 27, 2015 3:14 pm

There's no chance Funimation will release the movie in 3D on Blu-Ray. No chance in hell.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Wed May 27, 2015 3:53 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:There's no chance Funimation will release the movie in 3D on Blu-Ray. No chance in hell.
What exactly are you basing this on?

It requires minimal extra work on their part if they are able to license it, and it allows them to market it as a more premium product.

The question is really more if Toei makes it available to them.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed May 27, 2015 4:25 pm

MarcFBR wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:There's no chance Funimation will release the movie in 3D on Blu-Ray. No chance in hell.
99% of DBZ fans would most likely don't have a 3D TV because they're are too damn expensive. Would it be worth it for Funimation to mass produce 3D Blu-Ray versions of the movie if not a lot of people are gonna buy them? Remember, this is the same Funimation that cancelled the Level sets because they weren't selling up to standard for what they hoped for.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Wed May 27, 2015 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Wed May 27, 2015 4:35 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
MarcFBR wrote:
It really would be worth it for Funimation to mass produce 3D Blu-Ray versions of the movie if not a lot of people are gonna buy them.
Based on this it appears you aren't aware how the format actually works, nor how 3d Blu-rays are normally sold.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed May 27, 2015 5:35 pm

Well, I don' know about Funimation, but Madman Entertainment have released 3D Blu-Rays of Anime products in the past, so there's a possibility that they'll be doing that with Resurrection 'F'.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed May 27, 2015 5:41 pm

If anything, I would guess that a 3D copy of the film would be included in a release that was a DVD/Bluray/Bluray 3D combo pack. That is again assuming they even get the 3D version at all though.

We could have our answer during the limited theatrical run though, come to think of it. If any of those showings turn out to be in 3D, then we'd have to assume FUNi did have access to that version, wouldn't we? Or would that be a bad assumption?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Wed May 27, 2015 5:45 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:If anything, I would guess that a 3D copy of the film would be included in a release that was a DVD/Bluray/Bluray 3D combo pack. That is again assuming they even get the 3D version at all though.
Exactly (especially since the 3d version could even be on the same disk as the normal 2d version of the film if they really wanted to cut costs.)
We could have our answer during the limited theatrical run though, come to think of it. If any of those showings turn out to be in 3D, then we'd have to assume FUNi did have access to that version, wouldn't we? Or would that be a bad assumption?
Never doubt the strangeness of licensing agreements. Very often the agreements for film distribution from companies like Fathom and other digital distributors has 'demands' for exclusive 'things' that very rarely make it to home video (as a way of making it worth their time to distribute a film that could come out on Blu-ray weeks later. Although it's worth mentioning this practice has been slowly fading away.) A premium 3d version of the film could in theory fall under that (Toei agrees to let Funi use it theatrically to help gain better distribution, but with no home release rights for that version, etc.)

It's the type of thing we won't know until we get solid Blu-ray news.

ss4songoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ss4songoku » Thu May 28, 2015 2:55 am

Does anyone know if the 3d version being shown in Japanese imax is a simple conversion? If that's the case it wouldn't really be worth it.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu May 28, 2015 10:41 am

MarcFBR wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:If anything, I would guess that a 3D copy of the film would be included in a release that was a DVD/Bluray/Bluray 3D combo pack. That is again assuming they even get the 3D version at all though.
Exactly (especially since the 3d version could even be on the same disk as the normal 2d version of the film if they really wanted to cut costs.).
Oh, so 3D copies of films aren't sold separately? My mistake. :oops:

I've never bought a 3D movie or watched a 3D movie at my home or at anybody other's place, so I wouldn't really know that much. :shifty:

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu May 28, 2015 1:30 pm

No worries, Lord Beerus - it was just an educational guess on my part anyway, rather than something I actually knew for a fact, based on stuff I've seen in stores. The only times I've seen 3D versions of a movie selling as just that version, not in a combo pack with at least the standard Bluray copy, is when it's something that's already been released before (ie, the copy of Jurassic Park 3D I've seen at Wal-mart). Based on MarcFBR's reply though, I guess even that could still have the standard Bluray version available on the same disc - I've never really looked that closely at the package to say for sure.
MarcFBR wrote:Never doubt the strangeness of licensing agreements. Very often the agreements for film distribution from companies like Fathom and other digital distributors has 'demands' for exclusive 'things' that very rarely make it to home video (as a way of making it worth their time to distribute a film that could come out on Blu-ray weeks later. Although it's worth mentioning this practice has been slowly fading away.) A premium 3d version of the film could in theory fall under that (Toei agrees to let Funi use it theatrically to help gain better distribution, but with no home release rights for that version, etc.)

It's the type of thing we won't know until we get solid Blu-ray news.
Didn't even think of that, great point.

I'm not even really sure if I'd care for the 3D version getting included or not either way, really. I don't have a 3D TV. And has anyone here actually seen the 3D version of the film to say how well that version was handled? The only kinds of films I've seen in 3D have been live action or at best animated in full CG form - I'm not sure how well something done mostly traditionally would look in 3D.
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu May 28, 2015 1:32 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I'm not even really sure if I'd care for the 3D version getting included or not either way, really. I don't have a 3D TV. And has anyone here actually seen the 3D version of the film to say how well that version was handled? The only kinds of films I've seen in 3D have been live action or at best animated in full CG form - I'm not sure how well something done mostly traditionally would look in 3D.
Julian saw it again in 3D. He had nothing special to say about it.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu May 28, 2015 2:02 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Julian saw it again in 3D. He had nothing special to say about it.
I figured as much. I mean, I guess knowing that the version exists, it'd be nice if we got it, but I'll be perfectly happy with just a DVD/Bluray combo.

Though really, I'd be perfectly happy even with just a DVD if it weren't for the fact that combos tend to have better extras among other things, so what do I know. :P
Twitter

ss4songoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ss4songoku » Thu May 28, 2015 3:45 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:I'm not even really sure if I'd care for the 3D version getting included or not either way, really. I don't have a 3D TV. And has anyone here actually seen the 3D version of the film to say how well that version was handled? The only kinds of films I've seen in 3D have been live action or at best animated in full CG form - I'm not sure how well something done mostly traditionally would look in 3D.
Julian saw it again in 3D. He had nothing special to say about it.
I've seen The Lion King and Beauty and the beast in 3d and they actually looked quite nice. I would imagine that modern animation would look even better in 3d if done right.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Thu May 28, 2015 5:08 pm

Conversions tend to be the same logic you'd go with with remastering film footage or even upscaling digital video. It can be done very good, it can be done very bad, or it can be done meh.

Based on the production schedule and the way it was discussed by Toei I'd assume it's native, even if it's not particularly impressive (but no clue honestly.)
ss4songoku wrote:I've seen The Lion King and Beauty and the beast in 3d and they actually looked quite nice. I would imagine that modern animation would look even better in 3d if done right.
My understanding is 2d animation converts especially well when done properly.
Gyt Kaliba wrote:No worries, Lord Beerus - it was just an educational guess on my part anyway, rather than something I actually knew for a fact, based on stuff I've seen in stores. The only times I've seen 3D versions of a movie selling as just that version, not in a combo pack with at least the standard Bluray copy, is when it's something that's already been released before (ie, the copy of Jurassic Park 3D I've seen at Wal-mart). Based on MarcFBR's reply though, I guess even that could still have the standard Bluray version available on the same disc - I've never really looked that closely at the package to say for sure.
I can't speak for later re-releases of 3d disks. The original 3d conversion of Jurassic Park came with a 3d BD, a normal BD, and a DVD (As far as disks go.) Many films with 3d later get a '3d disk only' version later. I can't speak to the setup of these disks (if they are the original 3d disk from the combo or a new one) as I don't own any. Some 3d disks are set to let you watch the movie in 2d, some lock out the feature (it's rather basic to do either way, as the 2d version of a movie is simply the 'left eye' of the 3d version of the movie.)

There are a few possibilities if Funi is allowed to release it and chooses to. Do a 3 disk combo with a BD3d, BD, and a DVD. Do a 2 disk combo with a BD3d that has the option for 2d viewing turned on and a DVD.

We could even see them decide that the 3d version isn't viable as a full release, but release it as an exclusive through a retail partner, perhaps with different packaging.

But that's all conjecture at this point.