Depth of Tenkaichi (Trailer)

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ZeroAnnihilated
Not-So-Newbie

Depth of Tenkaichi (Trailer)

Post by ZeroAnnihilated » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:49 am

Dragonball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 2 "Evolution"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpw2otkYWaE

Greetings everyone,

I'm sure a lot of you are asking yourselves, "What exactly is this?". Good question. For those of you who are just now tuning in, there have been ongoing questions regarding the depth of Tenkaichi and its place within the fight-game community.

Is there a "depth" to the game?
Is it even a fighting game?
Is it worthy?

This project will provide the answers.

Many of you will enjoy the project, others may detest my attempts in fear of what answers may come to the surface. Either way, I feel it is my responsibility as an authority on Tenkaichi game-play to ensure that such answers be realized.

It is time to change.
It is time to grow.
It is time to EVOLVE.

The project is nearly complete and will begin releasing videos in a couple weeks or so. Any thoughts?
Be not afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Depth of Tenkaichi (Trailer)

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:18 am

Looking forward to this.

Just be prepared for the "BRING BACK BUDOKAI" crowd to jump all over it.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

ZeroAnnihilated
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ZeroAnnihilated » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:00 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Looking forward to this.

Just be prepared for the "BRING BACK BUDOKAI" crowd to jump all over it.

I expect backlash from those who are uncomfortable with the answers emerging from the depth of Tenkaichi, but I promise to remain completely professional. This project will not downplay any other game. It is merely a means of explaining the truth behind advanced Tenkaichi game-play. A depth that no one has been able or willing to fully explain before. Some new theories and technical/mechanical understandings will be brought to the surface. One of the biggest issues stemming from BvT debates is structured around misunderstandings. I'd say even a lot of Tenkaichi players will be surprised.
Be not afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:44 am

Interesting… Looking forward to this.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:29 am

Hmm, looks very intriguing. Looking forward to it.

Lozjudai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lozjudai » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:01 pm

As a huge fighting game fan I`m kinda anticipating this because I always though that the only dbz games that had any "depth" were the budokai games and super dbz.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:17 pm

Lozjudai wrote:As a huge fighting game fan I`m kinda anticipating this because I always though that the only dbz games that had any "depth" were the budokai games and super dbz.
Don't forget about Hyper Dimension.

So how is this going to be? 1st video starting off with the basics , 2nd showing off mid-tier to advanced tecniques, 3rd showing advanced techniques and character specific stuff? Are we getting actual-matches to show us how useful these tecniques are and/or how different the game is played with them compared to with out? Is it going to be Tenkaichi 2 only or are you going for a broader aproach and maybe use BT3 as that's what most people have/play? Will you be using other games termologies/clips to emphasize what your attempting to show? Overall looking foward to this.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:25 pm

I'd like to see this. :)
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ZeroAnnihilated
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ZeroAnnihilated » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:10 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote:Interesting… Looking forward to this.
Glad you could join. =)
Lord Beerus wrote:Hmm, looks very intriguing. Looking forward to it..
I'll try not to disappoint.
Lozjudai wrote: As a huge fighting game fan I`m kinda anticipating this because I always though that the only dbz games that had any "depth" were the budokai games and super dbz.
You're not alone. One of the main reasons that sparked my motivation.
Quebaz wrote:So how is this going to be? 1st video starting off with the basics , 2nd showing off mid-tier to advanced tecniques, 3rd showing advanced techniques and character specific stuff? Are we getting actual-matches to show us how useful these tecniques are and/or how different the game is played with them compared to with out? Is it going to be Tenkaichi 2 only or are you going for a broader aproach and maybe use BT3 as that's what most people have/play? Will you be using other games termologies/clips to emphasize what your attempting to show? Overall looking foward to this.
Lots of questions, so I'll work from one to the next.

1. This project is already fairly extensive. So yes, the project will begin with basic concepts: techniques, theories, etc... and move up from there. As the project is a means of explaining the "how-to" for advanced techniques with which most players (Tenkaichi included) are unfamiliar, I will also be explaining the basic techniques for a buffer. There are a lot of concepts that are overlooked by the majority, even in the basics. So I thought it would be a good idea to cover the entirety of Tenkaichi 2's depth.

2. There will be some character specific stuff, but highly unlikely to reflect what you'd expect. Remember, Tenkaichi is a first of its kind, so even the concept of its depth will stray from popular recognition. The trickiest part of explaining the depth of Tenkaichi in these forums: Getting people past face value. Though I haven't taken part in many debates, I read a lot (much material has fueled this project). Video footage with a narrative should help loosen people's defenses a bit. Forums are a bit too personal as the arguments (though focused on the topic at hand) are directed AT the opponent. Though the first part of this project may seem a bit too basic for people's taste, it will surprise you. A lot of "players" will argue that the fighting system of Tenkaichi is cloned based, so character detail is irrelevant. While there are aspects of the fighting game that hold true to this perspective, the technical skill requirement of Tenkaichi expands beyond the traditional understanding of combat based ability, or even expectation. In a simpler, arguably referential explanation, it would be like disregarding Goku as a threat because his punches aren't that powerful. There's much more to Goku than meets the eye.

4. As extensive as this project is, it is an extremely condensed version of its original version. As YouTube only allows people to upload videos of certain lengths, I cannot include matches within the project. I'll try to remember to provide links in the descriptions, but beyond this, the inclusive video clips will have to suffice. Of course, if I am performing something difficult, I will explain how it is done as well as show the video footage of the technical performance. Most techniques will require a player to practice at home and get a feel for the difficulty of the technique. Once the core concepts of depth/technical requirements are understood, watching old matches are nothing like watching advanced performances. For example, many viewers may watch my videos and have no idea that they just saw an advanced technique being used. It's the difference between "I can do that" and "How the hell did he do that?".

5. As my expertise stems from Tenkaichi 2, most of my combat references for Tenkaichi depth and game-play will relate to BT2. However, some concepts are universal. Once all videos have been released, I would not be surprised to see some Tenkaichi 3 pros break out their own projects. Still... while some people consider Tenkaichi 2 to hold the most "depth" of the Tenkaichi series, many people feel that Tenkaichi 3 is an upgrade and therefore possesses more depth. I am not one to argue as my DBZ gaming interest has remained fastened to the second installment. Regardless, as the depth of Tenkaichi 2 will be realized, it would be difficult to discard that of Tenkaichi 3.

6. As most people don't know the depth of Tenkaichi, I will be using universal fight-game terminology as well as some new terms people won't know. I have many fighting games, but as only a few fighting games appeal to the masses, I'll have to stick to referencing games that either relate strictly to the explanation or popular games that share the related quality. Video clips included.
DBZAOTA482 wrote: I'd like to see this
Me too. =)

Sanyo96

Post by Sanyo96 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:27 am

You disabled ratings, that's like knowing your video is going to get constantly thumbs downed.

ZeroAnnihilated
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ZeroAnnihilated » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:56 am

Sanyo96 wrote:You disabled ratings, that's like knowing your video is going to get constantly thumbs downed.
I disabled ratings to force people to comment if they have thoughts to share. I prefer context beyond the click of a button.

As earlier stated, I expect this project will produce some backlash. But if people really have something to say, they'll have to say it.

ZeroAnnihilated
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ZeroAnnihilated » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:44 pm

Depth of Tenkaichi: Evolution (Episode 1)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=8z6uvv6sBSM

TheSaiyanjin2

Post by TheSaiyanjin2 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:28 pm

Really nice editing man, that's a lot of footage for sure. :thumbup:
The implication is that we should be patient with learning, and with learners. It takes time to learn to do things. What seems easy to us now may have been difficult at first.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:44 pm

ZeroAnnihilated wrote:Depth of Tenkaichi: Evolution (Episode 1)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=8z6uvv6sBSM
Really good first episode. It was very detailed and very well thought out. I'm anticipating the next episode. :thumbup:

ZeroAnnihilated
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ZeroAnnihilated » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:27 pm

TheSaiyanjin2 wrote:Really nice editing man, that's a lot of footage for sure.
Lord Beerus wrote:Really good first episode. It was very detailed and very well thought out. I'm anticipating the next episode.
Glad you guys like it. Starting pretty basic here, but will be getting deeper as the videos progress. Thanks for the support and stay tuned!

ZeroAnnihilated
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ZeroAnnihilated » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:30 pm

Depth of Tenkaichi: Evolution (Episode 2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1fWlht6p2E

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:28 pm

I love how thorough you are, truly explaining every seemingly trivial thing. Good stuff.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:53 pm

ZeroAnnihilated wrote:Depth of Tenkaichi: Evolution (Episode 2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1fWlht6p2E
Another really good episode.

Nice work, man. :thumbup:

Darknat
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Darknat » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:39 am

Good episodes so far.

A little thing regarding the stepping once on the boundary of the character. Not sure if this happens on Tenkaichi 2 since It's been a long time since I have played that one seirously, but at least on Tenkaichi 3 you can do back steps indefinitely as long as you don't stop doing them. This is applicable to both air and ground backsteps.

Again, I'm not sure if this only happens on Tenkaichi 3. There is also a little difference regarding movement between tenkaichi 3 and 2 regarding dashes. On BT3, in order to accomplish the dash to the opponent that you could do with pressing X on BT2 you have to press UP+X, does giving a different kind of movement if you just push X on BT3. Meaning that you can dash in the direction of the opponent on BT3 but not necesarily towards the opponent.

ZeroAnnihilated
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ZeroAnnihilated » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:25 am

Darknat wrote:Good episodes so far.

A little thing regarding the stepping once on the boundary of the character. Not sure if this happens on Tenkaichi 2 since It's been a long time since I have played that one seirously, but at least on Tenkaichi 3 you can do back steps indefinitely as long as you don't stop doing them. This is applicable to both air and ground backsteps.

Again, I'm not sure if this only happens on Tenkaichi 3. There is also a little difference regarding movement between tenkaichi 3 and 2 regarding dashes. On BT3, in order to accomplish the dash to the opponent that you could do with pressing X on BT2 you have to press UP+X, does giving a different kind of movement if you just push X on BT3. Meaning that you can dash in the direction of the opponent on BT3 but not necesarily towards the opponent.

Linked supplementary back steps will keep the player in a suspended state of level 2 of Focal Adherence, also allowing linked side steps. I've played with this in hopes that this would allow a player to perform the step-in once outside of the step-in barrier, but attempting to step-in directly from a linked back step results with transitioning the player back into level 1 of focal adherence. I was hoping to be able to incorporate the step-in outside of the step-in barrier because while back steps and side steps can be used to transition into a counter stance, the effect of the back step/side step counter stance is not the same as a step-in counter stance. Regardless, a counter stance can't be set off by charged/dashing melee, so a step-in/back step based counter stance from outside the step-in barrier has very little use anyway. I'll explain a bit on this at a later point when explaining the transitional aspect of working between levels of Focal Adherence, but as of right now, I don't see a lot of viable worth in it.

The neutral dash of Tenkaichi 2 is a homing maneuver. The neutral dash in Tenkaichi 3 is based on a "North" movement. One must hold forward in T3 to home in on the opponent.