Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheDipDap1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by TheDipDap1234 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:02 am

As long as Super is selling well, I don't see why people are worried that Super will get cancelled. The recent ratings aren't even that bad.
Gowasu's number 1 fan.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:14 am

*Insert obvious "Super is getting cancelled" joke here that everyone will someone still take seriously.*

Honestly, Super is fine. The ratings could drop to 2% for all we care because merchandise sales are continuing to rise every year.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:58 am

Hmm so the ToP arc may indeed have the lowest average ratings of any arc so far. I'd be interested to see the trend in Japan. We already know what the trend looks like in the US.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:34 am

emperior wrote:I just hope the next arc they will revamp characters designs to make things more interesting. The DBZ 4D Movie designs were appreciated, right? Those are easy to animate, and look more like the old anime.
Along with the new filter and the soft grain they recently added in the recent blu-rays, they could make Super look very nostalgic. That's the nostalgia they should aim for, not bringing back Broly and whatnot. And freshness brings in more viewers, right? New designs seem to have helped Pokèmon.

It's not a problem though if they keep things like this as long as Super is in Top 10, but I hope they will try to make Super better and better.

I definitely expect the ratings to pick-up once the main battles of the arc start and Goku goes all-out, by the way.
Except 11 year old children in Japan don't care for character designs or nostalgia. They want cool fights.
If an episode has low ratings that means that they didn't promote it correctly. Dbs now should have better rating due to constantly showing great battles. I blame the NEPs for not hyping the children enough.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:46 am

What should they include in NEP's to hype up viewers more? What're the most memorable NEP's in recent Super history? If the ratings are based off the NEP's, could they compare them and figure something out?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:04 am

I'm curious to see if things fluctuate at all once we get to the climax of the arc, whenever that may be. As it stands we're still waiting for the big guns to bring out their big guns and finish separating the wheat from the chaff.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:14 am

Chuquita wrote:What should they include in NEP's to hype up viewers more? What're the most memorable NEP's in recent Super history? If the ratings are based off the NEP's, could they compare them and figure something out?
More episodes centered on Freeza? Episodes 94 and 95 did ratings above 6.0. I think its already proven Freeza is one of the few characters that can still draw.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:32 am

perucho1990 wrote:
Chuquita wrote:What should they include in NEP's to hype up viewers more? What're the most memorable NEP's in recent Super history? If the ratings are based off the NEP's, could they compare them and figure something out?
More episodes centered on Freeza? Episodes 94 and 95 did ratings above 6.0. I think its already proven Freeza is one of the few characters that can still draw.
I'd be ok with that. Freeza's done well. Despite my initial misgivings with bringing him back yet again, they've executed it wonderfully so far.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:59 am

Bullza wrote:
precita wrote:It's kind of ironic the Universe survival arc is on track to be Super's lowest-rated saga yet.
It's going to be the lowest by a considerable amount.

If it wasn't for One Piece's rating being so low as well then I'd be pretty damn worried by now. Three of the last five episodes have been under a 5.0%.
One Piece is having low ratings because his current arc has been shit and the same is valid for db super.
The gr wrote:
Chuquita wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:
They will probably blame it on one of the writers, and that writer will get fired, or Toei will fire one of the directors like they did with Sailor Moon Crystal.

Episode 53 had Goku, Whis and Beerus visiting U10, and Goku sparring vs Zamasu, that was more intringuing than what happened in episode 102 due to the mystery of Black.
The "Who is Goku Black" mystery was so much fun for me to theorize on. Even if the answer wasn't one I expected, I still got a lot of enjoyment out of guessing and reading others' guesses too.

There's no mystery to this tournament arc. Even if they do have a surprise plot-twist of an ending, it can't make up for what right now to me feels more like a filler arc than anything else.

Re: Directors/Writers
They seem to be changing directors with each new arc, so we might get a new one no matter how this arc does. Writers as far as I know are freelancers.

I think if this arc does poorly they'll just stay away from doing tournaments for a while, which I think would be a good thing. Maybe they could come back in a later arc with a more creative tournament arena, or a more fun setting, or more interesting rules of play.
Even if the rating of this saga low,that doesn't mean dbs won't stop doing tournaments hell AT could pull another tournament arc before this one,is not the writers who decided this idea or come up with the new arc ,is from AT and they need to follow his words no matter what
They don't need to follow At words if that means to bring Toyataro shitty version to the anime like it is happening right now.
Mazingerdestro wrote:
emperior wrote:I just hope the next arc they will revamp characters designs to make things more interesting. The DBZ 4D Movie designs were appreciated, right? Those are easy to animate, and look more like the old anime.
Along with the new filter and the soft grain they recently added in the recent blu-rays, they could make Super look very nostalgic. That's the nostalgia they should aim for, not bringing back Broly and whatnot. And freshness brings in more viewers, right? New designs seem to have helped Pokèmon.

It's not a problem though if they keep things like this as long as Super is in Top 10, but I hope they will try to make Super better and better.

I definitely expect the ratings to pick-up once the main battles of the arc start and Goku goes all-out, by the way.
Except 11 year old children in Japan don't care for character designs or nostalgia. They want cool fights.
If an episode has low ratings that means that they didn't promote it correctly. Dbs now should have better rating due to constantly showing great battles. I blame the NEPs for not hyping the children enough.
Do you really believe db super is only seen by children? This is a show for teenagers and young adults as well that love to see great fights. The problem is that the fighting scenes have been shit and the tournament is too centered around the saiyajins like in dbgt.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:21 am

The fights have been better than most of the Champa Arc fights and the Trunks Arc(exception are Episode 57 and 66).

What the current arc lacks is an interesting antagonist, Jiren is boring, probably the worst antagonist in Shounen since Acnologia. I knew it was a bit hard filling in Blacks shoes.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:23 am

Mazingerdestro wrote:

You may be right but not only the kids follow Dragon Ball in Japan, or else Future Trunks' return wouldn't have scored that high.

Also, many of the Super fans were probably Kai fans too, in Japan. If they changed the designs to be more animation-friendly then the animators would provide more cool fights the kids want to see, and the show would have a familiar look to Kai, though it would have a better quality.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:27 am

Shinda Forever wrote:They don't need to follow At words if that means to bring Toyataro shitty version to the anime like it is happening right now.
Nope the producer specifically stated they follow toriyama words and add their own twist in it,I seriously doubt Toyataro have anything to do in the outline,the producer didn't even mention him,the only important thing hes doing is creating design and sending them to toei
Mostly active on discord.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:02 pm

Dragon Ball is written like a Saturday morning Disney XD cartoon that's why people don't watch it, the show is garbage.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:40 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:Dragon Ball is written like a Saturday morning Disney XD cartoon that's why people don't watch it, the show is garbage.
The show isn't the only thing that's garbage.
Feels over Reals.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:25 pm

So anime ratings are down across the board and it's now an excuse for people to randomly blame it on the quality of Dragon Ball Super even though it's in the exact same position it has been from the start....

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:29 pm

My thought is if all the shows are down, then it's just the natural "people continue to abandon TV for streaming or abandon watching live for DVR" and that it's not so much Super's problem as it is television as a whole.

With why Pokémon and Precure are bucking the trend, I gave my theory on that about a page or so back.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:04 pm

The difference is Dragonball Super is not going to run forever. Toei may realize they can make money off of merch and realize they don't need a new series airing, as production costs on Super likely costs an arm and a leg. They just spent money on 100 Super episodes, and even without this series they could have made just as much money from movies like they did with the Beerus and Freeza movies.

Honestly I expect Super to have a 5 year run. We're in year 2 right now, so I think 3 more years of Super before it ends is reasonable.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:12 pm

So... is Super still in the same position it was last week? Because if so, then there really is nothing to worry about. Especially since every show tumbled in the ratings this week.
precita wrote:The difference is Dragonball Super is not going to run forever. Toei may realize they can make money off of merch and realize they don't need a new series airing, as production costs on Super likely costs an arm and a leg. They just spent money on 100 Super episodes, and even without this series they could have made just as much money from movies like they did with the Beerus and Freeza movies.

Honestly I expect Super to have a 5 year run. We're in year 2 right now, so I think 3 more years of Super before it ends is reasonable.
Super costs no more or less per episode than your typical run-of-the-mill long running shonen anime. TV deals are far more lucartive than movie deals in Japan. When they movie BOG was released, there was not substantial increase in profit for the franchise. But as soon as Super got on the air, profit spiked like nothing before. And it's profit magrin still continues to rise by unprecedented amounts. I don't think bi-yearly movies would have made anywhere near the same amount of money that Super has so far.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:26 pm

Is that seriously gonna be the excuse every time Super's ratings are down or will it be the holiday one?

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:32 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:Is that seriously gonna be the excuse every time Super's ratings are down or will it be the holiday one?
Yes, because is the more reasonal one when you take into account the ratings of all the other shows + whatever japanese things happens around that time and dont isolate DBS ratings data.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.