Anyone else not give a shit about the canon?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJ God Gogeta
I Live Here

Anyone else not give a shit about the canon?

Post by SSJ God Gogeta » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:20 pm

Am I the only one? All I hear nowadays is "this is canon" or "no this is canon"... Canon this and canon that... Canon, canon, cannon!!! I go outside of Kanzenshuu and if I have a conversation about DB it's always gonna end with a canon debate and I'm starting to get sick of them... When will people learn that there is no definitive canon? Or that people have different opinions on what is canon and that they might not agree with your canon... It's all opinions in the end. One might say that the manga and only the manga is canon and not Super etc. Someone else could disagree and that's alright. It's only when things get twisted and people start bashing one another because they don't agree with them... "Idiot, Toriyama said this is canon. I'm right and you're fucking wrong..."

Is Kai canon? I don't fucking care, it can be whatever you want it to be... Is GT canon? Call it a side-story or whatever the fuck you want I don't care.. Are the BoG and FnF movies no longer canon because of Super? I don't know, you tell me....

I don't care what's canon. To me Dragon Ball is Dragon Ball. I'm not gonna limit myself to only a few stories, I don't care what people think or what they tell me. "Oh, you're watching Rebirth of Fusion? It's good but it isn't canon so it doesn't matter if it is or not." fuck off...

I don't care if it doesn't fit together all nice and neat. I just sit on my ass and watch it or read it and don't think about it. I'm all up for debate but some people just take it waaaay too far. I just wanna have fun! But these canon debates as of late just take all that away for me. I try to stay away but there is no escape...
"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta! I am the one who will defeat you!!" - Gogeta

I'm that guy who makes the avatars

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Anyone else not give a shit about the canon?

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:26 pm

Sometimes it's just taken to absurd extremes.
I was discussing some theories about a timeline based on the movies and apparently I shouldn't because it's non-canon, :roll:
It's fun to think about how Things fit, but at the end of the day it's just entertainment.
If you can't enjoy BoG or RoF, because now Super will readapt those arcs, I'd have to say I find that completely non-sensical.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:32 pm

I both like and dislike the discussion about canonicity. I don't think it's important, but I understand why it's fun, and I think it's super interesting to put dots together as fans. I do operate under this egotistical and maniacal belief, however, that most other people that want to discuss that with regard to Dragon Ball don't actually know what they're talking about. At all. But anyway...

Part of something else I recently wrote:

Honestly, the biggest problem - not just here, but pretty much everywhere - is that, no matter what the question is, someone feels the need to say "but that's not canon" or some nonsense.

Like, OK...? Great...? Someone was just asking who the composer for Dragon Ball GT was. Or who did the character designs for the old DBZ movies. Or if Episode of Bardock ever received an English dub. Or who illustrated the JSAT special manga adaptation. In these cases, it's totally inappropriate for you to comment on the canonicity. It's not relevant at all. You've added nothing to the discussion.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:38 pm

I wasn't that bothered by it until recently. For example, I actually think it's a cool theory that DBZ movies 1-3 all take place in their own respective alternate universes. I also liked the idea of GT being an alternate future timeline, and I enjoy comparing SS4 to SSG because unlike other forms, it isn't clear which of the 2 is more powerful.

What does bother me now is how they're needlessly tossing the relevance of the new movies out the window in favor of a reworking in Super. The amount of hate and instant dismissal GT gets online simply for being "non-canon" is crazy. What happens if a new movie gets made now? You can guarantee there will be some people who'll chose not to see it because they'll know it'll just get retold in Super, and they also might want to avoid spoilers. I just can't help but feel they're only doing this because they can't be bothered to come up with something new, and are riding off the success of those movies in the laziest way possible. Those movies are still new and have been hugely well received among fans. Already saying that they're not relevant to the current story is pretty bothersome.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:39 pm

FIrst we need to understand what canon is.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:45 pm

I like discussing it in topics that are about it but when someone brings it up in a topic that has nothing to do with it then it becomes annoying and unnecessary.
90sDBZ wrote:What happens if a new movie gets made now? You can guarantee there will be some people who'll chose not to see it because they'll know it'll just get retold in Super.
Or it'll be based on an arc that was already seen in Super like the 4 DB movies.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:52 pm

sintzu wrote:I like discussing it in topics that are about it but when someone brings it up in a topic that has nothing to do with it then it becomes annoying and unnecessary.
90sDBZ wrote:What happens if a new movie gets made now? You can guarantee there will be some people who'll chose not to see it because they'll know it'll just get retold in Super.
Or it'll be based on an arc that was already seen in Super like the 4 DB movies.
If that were to happen it would decrease interest in the movies even further. I don't see why they couldn't just come up with some new ideas for Super and keep releasing new unique movies every couple of years. That way the movies and the series would help support eachothers success rather than stepping on eachothers toes.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:53 pm

ABED wrote:FIrst we need to understand what canon is.
It's the stories that happened in the franchise's main timeline but in DB's case certain stories can get replaced like the last 2 movies' stories and the ending.
Last edited by sintzu on Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AM Reflection
Not-So-Newbie

Post by AM Reflection » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:59 pm

Yeah, I don't really get the fascination with this subject. DB isn't like UC Gundam with dozens of spinoffs and sidestories to consider. It used to be fun to discuss which of the 13 movies could logically fit in with the events shown in the original story, but beyond that...? The anime TV series just follow a linear continuity. DB -> DBZ -> DBGT and now Kai -> Super.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:03 pm

90sDBZ wrote:I don't see why they couldn't just come up with some new ideas for Super and keep releasing new unique movies every couple of years.
That's what they should do,keep Toriyama on Super while the anime staff comes up with 1 shot side stories like they did for Z's original 13 movies.

I know they weren't the best but they gave us new characters and made the universe feel bigger so hopefully they do it again here but I guess we won't find out till the 3rd movie's announced.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:36 pm

I feel the same way honestly. In my head, there is one definitive canon, and that's the Manga + Super. People will mention tiny little details like "why is Gregory there if he wasn't in the manga," and my answer to that is who cares. Toriyama clearly doesn't give a shit and neither does Toei. So just choose something and roll with it, because there is no official canon and the debate is honestly just a waste of time and only causes commotion.

But if you say GT is canon you're wrong I don't care.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:38 pm

*Raises hand.*

I also don't care about canon. I've got no interest in the subject. I pick and choose what I like buffet style.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:13 pm

It would be neat to have an official canon like Nintendo did for Zelda, but I don't care about it. Future Trunks confirmed the existence of alternate realities, with familiar enemies being weaker or stronger throughout the realms, so it's fun to think of the movies as such. Like, the first Cooler one taking place in a reality where Frieza died after getting hit with the spirit bomb or immediately by SSJ Goku before he could kill Krillin (perhaps, he only pierced him in this reality). Or the Turles and Lord Slug movies taking place in a timeline where Goku and crew managed to defeat Nappa and Vegeta before they killed any of them.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:32 pm

I feel the same, I couldn't care less about what the hell people consider canon or not, I sit my ass down and enjoy Dragon Ball (except Kai and GT).

Same goes with power levels, for me that is absolutely pointless talk when people argue about that.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:26 pm

I actually really enjoy talking about what "canon" means in Dragon Ball, even if it technically means nothing. It's a conversation that's difficult to pin down to anything concrete, but I think at the heart of it is the desire to have a list of things that you can absolutely trust, a sequence of events that you can believe truly takes place in the series. And I also believe that we already have such a core list: the manga as it was printed in Weekly Shonen Jump between 1984-1995. It's the absolute minimum thing that all fans can agree "happens".

Beyond that the only rule, IMO, is to try to remain logical with what you include in your "canon", nowadays commonly referred to as "headcanon". Depending on what type of fan you are, you could have very strict criteria for what you consider "canon", like folks who accept changes made in the tankobon, kanzenban, tidbits in interviews, and some guidebook information, or you might have a comparatively loose criteria for "canon", like fans who say "I like X. X now exists in my headcanon."

As an in-universe junkie, I could never be in the latter group. It's simply not how I think. It's too helpful when dealing with in-universe subjects like battle powers, timelines, and story continuity to be able to throw away stuff like filler, the movies, and GT. It makes logical sense to me to work with the original story that inspired the other stuff, just like you would in any franchise. And this isn't to say I don't like the things that I don't include in my "headcanon". I love all of the movies, some filler, and GT is okay for what it is.

So... Yeah. I like having a fan-defined "canon". It's helpful to me when discussing in-universe things.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:30 pm

I love! filler so much! I honestly wished there was more. It's just more adventures to me. :)
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:18 pm

Yeah, this has gotten pretty old. My opinion is this: anyone can consider anything canon in any series. It really doesn't matter.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Makai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Makai » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:44 pm

Yes, people like to discuss canon it could be fun to debate about, and it's kind of important to future material. If I know something's not canon, I don't have to worry about thinking about it too much, or trying to make logic of anything. If the original author says something is true or not, then I'd have to side with him cause obviously what he says matters. I think headcanon only works for stuff that's not stated or just obvious.
And yes, you can still very much enjoy something if it's not canon, but if I want to follow the story, and not be confused by something, I'd want to know what's canon or not. That's why headcanon or non canon stuff usually don't work in debates, cause it could be easily retcon'd, or just not fit in the story.
As for future material that's put out, what's canon or not does matter as well. If they suddenly put Broly in Super, or do something that denies his existence, it could cause confusuion among people who don't know what's canon or not.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:46 pm

I honestly couldn't give a toss about what is considered "canon" or not. I love Dragon Ball as whole, and that's the most important thing to me.

The Jackal
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Jackal » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:18 pm

It's one of the biggest pet peeves I have with this fandom; that as well as the endless power level discussions or silly vs matchups people seem to get rather heated over.

So many arguments get started over the stupidest of subjects, not kidding.