Could Gohan really carry the series.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Re: Could Gohan really carry the series.

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:55 pm

I'm curious to see Gohan carry the series. I feel like his conflict between fighting off villains and trying to live a human life would be interesting to see. Maybe he gets fed up and decides to hang the gloves, and then something really bad happens. You never know.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:03 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote: Well, then, don't make him a dedicated nerd. Problem solved. They could have developed his character a different way after the Cell saga. Same personality, only, again, a no non-sense attitude and desire to train to protect his friends and family, rather than for the love of it.
Could have. But he's shown time and time again that he all but refuses to put any effort in unless his friends are immediate danger or his dad is pushing him. He didn't train after Cell, he didn't train after Buu and he didn't train after Beerus. He clearly wants to be a nerd (I'm sorry, a "scholar"). There's no way to keep his personality AND make him the savior of Earth.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:12 pm

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote: Well, then, don't make him a dedicated nerd. Problem solved. They could have developed his character a different way after the Cell saga. Same personality, only, again, a no non-sense attitude and desire to train to protect his friends and family, rather than for the love of it.
Could have. But he's shown time and time again that he all but refuses to put any effort in unless his friends are immediate danger or his dad is pushing him. He didn't train after Cell, he didn't train after Buu and he didn't train after Beerus. He clearly wants to be a nerd (I'm sorry, a "scholar"). There's no way to keep his personality AND make him the savior of Earth.
They could have developed him better. His father's death and the events of the Cell Games could have given him the incentive to train so nothing like that ever happens again. His reasons for training would distinguish him from his dad, who trains to overcome his own limits, and Vegeta, who trains to surpass Goku. He'd be the only character training for a selfless reason, despite his disinterest in fighting itself.

This is what should have happened. He's shown time and again to be a pansy because Toriyama fucked him over after the Cell saga and had a change of heart about who should have the spotlight. What he made Gohan into at that point has nothing to do with what Gohan actually could and should have been portrayed like.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:37 pm

I think Gohan could've, even with his characterization up to Saiya-man saga. DBZ's highest rated episode in Japan is in fact a Gohan-featured episode. I don't think it's a stretch to say DBZ's original audience would've enjoyed Gohan as the series protagonist if his later characterization in Buu saga had been done better. It's much easier to say that Toriyama himself isn't comfortable with Gohan carrying the series.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:08 am

The best part of Z is how it's always changing the main character so having one character carry an entire arc or series would be a step backwords which is what made Gt so bad but to answer the question,No I don't think he can and that's due to him not liking to fight and train cause having a main character like that in a series based on fighting and training won't make much sense especially when Goku&Vegeta are around.
Mystic Tien wrote:Beerus arrived, beat the heck out of him and all his friends. A year passed, Gohan not only didn't train, but thought that he lost the ability to turn SSJ, and didn't even bother to hold the hands with his friends for a couple of minutes to be able to achieve SSJ God... He is hopeless.
Hopefully there's a reason to why him,Goten&Trunks didn't do the ritual such as it being limited to full blooded Saiyans.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:37 pm

Yamcha could carry the series. I'm serious. Anyone can carry the series. The big question can they write him to be able to carry the series, or will they. Can they? Sure as Gohan was pretty much being built up to take over. Will they? No because as we see today they hardly have much interest in Gohan at all. Hell it seems Goten and Trunks just might now get bigger billing over Gohan. Not that that's a bad thing, but it shows where the interest and priorities lie. Gohan how he's written right now definitely can not carry the series. He never learns his peace will always be interrupted, which even Goku is smart enough to realize, and he has a life that's mainly off screen cause the writers don't really care to explain it. As people above have shown Gohan could be written as a more competent and interesting character, but he's doesn't have the stat trinity of importance. He must love food a lot, he must have adore fighting, and he must have no life outside of fighting.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:01 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:Yamcha could carry the series. I'm serious. Anyone can carry the series. The big question can they write him to be able to carry the series, or will they. Can they? Sure as Gohan was pretty much being built up to take over. Will they? No because as we see today they hardly have much interest in Gohan at all. Hell it seems Goten and Trunks just might now get bigger billing over Gohan. Not that that's a bad thing, but it shows where the interest and priorities lie. Gohan how he's written right now definitely can not carry the series. He never learns his peace will always be interrupted, which even Goku is smart enough to realize, and he has a life that's mainly off screen cause the writers don't really care to explain it. As people above have shown Gohan could be written as a more competent and interesting character, but he's doesn't have the stat trinity of importance. He must love food a lot, he must have adore fighting, and he must have no life outside of fighting.
Gohan is interesting, but he shouldn't be the lead in this fighting series. Just because he's not the lead doesn't make him uninteresting.
The best part of Z is how it's always changing the main character so having one character carry an entire arc or series would be a step backwords which is what made Gt so bad but to answer the question
Goku was always the main character until the Buu arc.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:44 pm

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:exactly, with SSJG being a free, easy, and quick power up, the fact that he didn't bother shows that he has no interest in being the hero of the story, or even a worthwhile sidekick to Goku.
SSJG is also a much more limited power up though. The standard result is the power vanishing after the time runs out. In Goku's and Vegeta's case, it seems like they kept the power due to their training, and Gohan, as he's portrayed now, has no interest in training unless there's an immediate threat standing right in front of him. He also only has actually trained for 4 to 5 years, so he likely wouldn't be able to keep the power in a first try like Goku did.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:53 pm

ABED wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:Yamcha could carry the series. I'm serious. Anyone can carry the series. The big question can they write him to be able to carry the series, or will they. Can they? Sure as Gohan was pretty much being built up to take over. Will they? No because as we see today they hardly have much interest in Gohan at all. Hell it seems Goten and Trunks just might now get bigger billing over Gohan. Not that that's a bad thing, but it shows where the interest and priorities lie. Gohan how he's written right now definitely can not carry the series. He never learns his peace will always be interrupted, which even Goku is smart enough to realize, and he has a life that's mainly off screen cause the writers don't really care to explain it. As people above have shown Gohan could be written as a more competent and interesting character, but he's doesn't have the stat trinity of importance. He must love food a lot, he must have adore fighting, and he must have no life outside of fighting.
Gohan is interesting, but he shouldn't be the lead in this fighting series. Just because he's not the lead doesn't make him uninteresting.
Where the hell did you get that from my comment. I think he's definitely not fit to carry the series as he's not written well enough to do so. He also doesn't seem to have much interest among the creative team, so they shouldn't bother trying to write for someone they're not interested in.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:32 pm

He is for the most part a well written character, but that doesn't equal being fit for the lead of the story.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.