"Freeza Returns" FUNimation Movie 12 Video Clip

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

"Freeza Returns" FUNimation Movie 12 Video Clip

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:16 pm

You can now watch the clip of Freeza returning in movie 12 :D

http://www.dragonballz.com/

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:39 pm

Aaaahhh! The voices! The music! The pain of my ears! It burns!

*collapses*

Hey, if I have time, I'll make a clip from Julian's VHS :P. Don't have the domestic or JP DVDs, yet. It really needs a comparison. It's so much more of an amusing, funny scene in the original. The translation of the dialogue ain't half bad in this dub clip, but the music totally changes the perception of it all.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:47 pm

I'm more interested in finding out why they dubbed Janemba's voice. :?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:30 pm

Because then they'd have to give money to his Japanese seiyuu, and it costs less to have Kent Williams screaming in his place? XD;

Actually I liked the music as Freeza released all of the villains against Gohan. Freeza sounded alright, but I'd prefer it if they pitched his voice down like in the old Freeza saga, and Kyle is just awesome as Saiyaman as usual :b

Saiyan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyan » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:44 pm

I actually find that even the Japanese version's music is a serious type up until the point where Freeza's men actually jump to their deaths. Like, it sorta makes a transition from serious (Freeza shows up), then Saiyaman thing (comedic), Gohan charges at Freeza and kills him (serious), men fall off (comedic).

I sorta get where you're coming from with the music thing though.

As for the VA's, the Japanese one is where it's at.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:50 pm

Saiyan wrote:I actually find that even the Japanese version's music is a serious type up until the point where Freeza's men actually jump to their deaths. Like, it sorta makes a transition from serious (Freeza shows up), then Saiyaman thing (comedic), Gohan charges at Freeza and kills him (serious), men fall off (comedic).
Oh, agreed. The "serious" is more of a "triumphant" serious, though... kinda hard to describe. Oh, and there's silence for a bit :P.

Encoding clip...
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:08 pm

Here we go. Encoded off of the official Japanese VHS release. Cleaned it up a little bit (IVTCed, a little bit of smoothing)... but not too much. No reason to put in that much effort :P.

http://www.templeotrunks.com/gohan_freeza_dbzm12.avi
(DivX-5-compatible XviD, 15.1 MB, 512x384)

It's a little longer than the FUNimation clip; ~1:30. It begins around the same area, but I just went ahead to the actual end of the scene (with Gohan dancing around). Didn't subtitle it, but yeah. A basic knowledge of a few Japanese phrases and words is more than enough for this scene (with Gohan and Videl, anyway).

This was a scene I was thinking about using on Episode #0014 of the podcast, due to the language that Freeza uses. It's very haughty and sarcastic, yet unbelievably polite. The dub clip that FUNimation had up *almost* got there, but not quite... the performance kills it a lot.

Oh, and since I didn't throw any bumpers or anything on this, I'd prefer if it didn't get passed around too many places :P.

Have fun!

Cyberman
Not-So-Newbie
Location: Ascending Super Saiyan in the Room of Spirit and Time

Post by Cyberman » Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:10 pm

Wow, having a fansub of that movie, I can see just how much better the quality should be.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:44 pm

Why does Freeza's dub voice sound so much worse with age? :x

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:14 pm

Just put it up on Meri's site, huh?

Still, I watched both clips, and yeah, voice actors aside, there is a big difference in the mood each one conveys. Still, even with the "serious" music, the fact that Gohan can now instantly kill Freeza with a single punch is still funny in itself.
Castory Troy wrote:Why does Freeza's dub voice sound so much worse with age?
Well, besides that short, terrible-to-begin-with stint with Freeza in GT, it's been, what, about 10 years since the VA's had to do Freeza's voice (when dubbing the Freeza saga). That's probably why.

But his English voice sucked to begin with

Now we just have to wait and see how Funi handles Veku.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:47 pm

Linda Young (Funi Freeza) has increased her voice acting skill manyfold since performing in Season 3. While the voice she uses now is much higher and totally unsuitable for the character, the performance itself cannot be compared to the crap most/all of the VA's put out in Season 3.

Edit: Also...she's been doing Freeza's voice in all the games consistently, so it's not like she's out of practice. And Season 3 was only 5 years ago, not 10.

End rant.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:45 pm

Duo wrote:Linda Young (Funi Freeza) has increased her voice acting skill manyfold since performing in Season 3. While the voice she uses now is much higher and totally unsuitable for the character, the performance itself cannot be compared to the crap most/all of the VA's put out in Season 3.

Edit: Also...she's been doing Freeza's voice in all the games consistently, so it's not like she's out of practice. And Season 3 was only 5 years ago, not 10.
-_-

Please ignore my blatant stupidity.

And my apologies to Ms\Mrs Young.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:51 pm

Hey not half bad.... I have a feeling that they tried harder on this movie. The Quality looks pretty good compared to the Japanese clip EX put up.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:53 pm

Eh...I dunno, a quick clip of saxaphone track while Freeza appears doesn't really work too well for me. I guess I've gotten too used to the modern-sounding english version music.

That, and that's how I've heard Freeza since DBZ started, so I have no complaints on how Linda Young's interpretation of the character.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:58 pm

The Quality looks pretty good compared to the Japanese clip EX put up.
Actually, that Japanese clip is taken from an old VHS that probley has been copied from a master VHS. You kids today and your fancy DVD's, why back in my day I had to walk 7 miles in the summer heat to China Town for a 20.00$ crappy quality VHS copy of about 3 - 4 episodes per video, and back then we had real summer weather...

:lol: Iam joking, but yea for a copied VHS the quality is pretty good. I also DID have to walk to China Town... :oops:

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:07 pm

It's still of amazing quality, and makes me anxious to see how it'll look on dvd.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:43 pm

Gohan wrote: I am Gohan, Son of Goku, protector of all that is good!
:lol: Couldn't he have been a normal teenager and got a job flipping hamburgers?

:shock: Why the fuck is Freeza commanding everyone in hell, including Bojack? If I was Bojack, I'd tell that purple-headed fucker to get the hell outta the way.

Thanks, Tanooki. :wink: :P
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:20 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Actually, that Japanese clip is taken from an old VHS that probley has been copied from a master VHS.
No, it's not.

http://www.daizex.com/misc_stuff/dbz_movie_12.jpg

Toei's VHS releases were genuinely that bad. The LDs weren't much better.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:16 pm

Wow, you had an actuall Toei home video? Jeez, thats pretty awsome. I just asume every Dragonball Japanese VHS in the USA is a copy. Pretty cool.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:18 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Wow, you had an actuall Toei home video? Jeez, thats pretty awsome. I just asume every Dragonball Japanese VHS in the USA is a copy. Pretty cool.
Well, Julian owns it :P. They were still available for purchase on CDJapan and such for a looooooooong time. Only recently did they kill off the vast majority of the DBZ VHS stock.