Question about FUNi! (Seasons 1+2 Re-dub)

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kobrokailp

Question about FUNi! (Seasons 1+2 Re-dub)

Post by kobrokailp » Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:52 pm

Hey, I heard a while back that Funimation is going to re-edit and redub the first 2 seasons. Is this true, or another rumor that has no chance of coming true? Personally, I would really like to see them redone. I think Funi did a pretty nice job with the end of the series, and I would like to see the same thing done with the beginning.

Well, if someone could give me an answer, I would appreciate it! ^_^
And I'm spent...

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:23 pm

Yes, it's absolutely true; in fact, as far as I know, it's all be recorded, as well.

The reason it hadn't been able to happen until now is due to the fact that way back when, they sold the home distribution rights to Pioneer, who put out seasons 1 & 2 (dub episodes 1-53, which correspond to original Japanese episodes 1-67/68 in terms of numbering). Even if FUNimation wanted to (and they did), they couldn't re-release these episodes with an "uncut" dub (and Japanese track) until Pioneer's rights on these episodes expired (which took place in the fall of last year).

The seasons 1 & 2 re-dub will be released once all of DragonBall GT has been completed (this news was given to me by a reader who attended FUNimation's panel at MegaCon and asked them, there). This will be either very late in 2004, or possibly even 2005.

So yeah, it's absolutely true; FUNimation even posted the news, themselves, months and months and months ago on their site (although, since they don't seem to archive their own news, you'd never know).

Hope that's some help!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:51 pm

Thank goodness they are doing this, for a long time my greatest fear about the series was that the Japanese version of these episodes would never see a region 1 release.

Now the biggest concern I have is that Dragon Ball movies 1 and 2 will never get a uncut dual language release.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:23 pm

Ya, and don't forget the first thirteen DB episodes as well! :wink:

kobrokailp

Post by kobrokailp » Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:59 pm

Thanks a lot!! Now I'm excited... :D
And I'm spent...

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:19 am

At least the Madman dual language set for episodes 1-13 sounds fairly error free (judging from the reaction on their boards anyway) for those of us too impatient to wait for Funi to get their release out.

I am kinda confused though, as to why they decided to keep the old Trimark name for the release instead of using the "Pilaf Saga" title that Funi themselves will likely use.

Hopefully Funi mentions something about the R1 release in their next batch of street dates.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:26 am

There was a rumor going around that Faulconer was going to return to produce the BGM for the redub. Is there any truth to this? I really hope not

tablet the eunuch
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by tablet the eunuch » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:09 pm

That was mentioned on the DBZOA, so it counts as crazy speculation/rumour, as they've got a tendancy to find "sources" in anything at all.

And they never had contact with Gen Fukunaga. So everything is pretty much in the open. I would imagine they would, considering it'd sit better with a whole bunch of people.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:43 pm

I suppose it depends on how they market them. It would follow on from DB better with the original music, it would fit in better with the rest of Z with Faulconer's music, and it would go with GT and the movies with Menza's stuff.

I wonder, assuming that they did use Faulconer, would it cost them more money to also do an "English voices with Japanese music" track? Would they have to licence the Japanese music twice, both for the original and the English track?

kobrokailp

Post by kobrokailp » Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:11 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:There was a rumor going around that Faulconer was going to return to produce the BGM for the redub. Is there any truth to this? I really hope not
And the confusion shall start now...

Someone care to explain what the heck this means for me?
And I'm spent...

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mattias » Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:12 pm

Faulconer...?! Bluch. Why don't they just go and grab Shuki Levy, or better yet, make an experiment and try the re-dub with the original music!
kobrokailp wrote:And the confusion shall start now...

Someone care to explain what the heck this means for me?
Bruce Faulconer was the synthesist from the remainder of the Frieza Saga through the Cell Saga I think. I'm not sure how long he lasted, because up here in Canada, the dubs switched, and we got Ocean Group voices and music that was just-as-bad.

Brian Drummond > all.
[i]"Well, Diane, I'm sure you and your brother are devistated for the two-headed monster that could have been,"[/i] ~ Tom Tucker.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:39 pm

The Candian music (and UK music) was from an old Megaman cartoon. Hence the same stuff being in EVERY EPISODE.

Faulconer did the music for the FUNi dub from the mid-Freeza saga until the end of Z.

Personally, although I do love the original theme (and, er, like the original music) for Z, I am not 100% against new music, if it was halfway good. The problem with the Levi music was that he was obviously working on autopilot. The man is talented (just look at all the catchy themes he did for MASK, He-Man, and so on), but he only seemed to have half his heart in Z. That, combined with his (or the studios) inability have silence really ruined things.

He was a master compared to Faulconer. Bruce isn't so much bad, as completely "meh". His music does nothing at all. In many cases, it's barely music, more weird trance-type ambient stuff.

Other cartoon shows have good soundtracks. Batman: TAS, Justice League, Samurai Jack. Hell, even more "kiddy" cartoons like the Powerpuff Girls have much more professional sounding scores than the dubbed DBZ ones.

If they really, really, REALLY can't have silence, then they could always do what the Pokemon producers do...use the original music, and fill in the silence with their own stuff. It's not perfect, but it's better than what we get with DBZ. It does help that the "new" Pokemon music doesn't actually stand out, due to it being done by someone half-way competent.

Also, it seems like the producers never actually gave Faulconer any hint of how they wanted scenes scored. They just left him to it. No-one ever sent him a memo saying "BTW, this scene with Gohan transforming against Cell...it's an important one. Really sell it in the music."

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:25 pm

I don't know how many people here watched the dubbed version of "Monster Rancher", which was also done by Ocean Studios, but I swear in one episode of the Blue Waters dub of DBZ, I actually heard the same piece of music they used in "Monster Rancher". A frequently used piece of music in "MR" I might add. I mean, that's gotta be the laziest and cheapest thing yet. :?

Bruce Faulconer was not the synthesist for DBZ. That was a pet chimpanzee with a casio keyboard. They trained him to randomly play on it in exchange for barbeque roasted peanuts. Personally, I think it's rather good for 2 weeks' worth of training. I think the chimp's best work was definitely during the Freeza saga. Some of those pieces moved me to tears! *sniff* :P

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mattias » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:39 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:I don't know how many people here watched the dubbed version of "Monster Rancher", which was also done by Ocean Studios, but I swear in one episode of the Blue Waters dub of DBZ, I actually heard the same piece of music they used in "Monster Rancher". A frequently used piece of music in "MR" I might add. I mean, that's gotta be the laziest and cheapest thing yet. :?
Yeah, one or two tracks. There was this one flute track that was sweet. And I actually think there was this one bass, electric guitar tune that was an original.

From Majin Vegeta to the end, they stopped using that ugly Megaman music, and used stuff from Monster Rancher, and some original stuff. I thought it was pretty cool.

Yes, Shuki Levy is pretty good. Some of the tracks he assembled in Digimon Tamers was slick.
[i]"Well, Diane, I'm sure you and your brother are devistated for the two-headed monster that could have been,"[/i] ~ Tom Tucker.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:41 pm

yeah I used to watch and actually loved the Monster Rancher dub, but I didnt notice any of it in DBZ (then again I only have seen the FUNi dub, the spanish dub and the original).
-Laserkid

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mattias » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:52 pm

Blue Water is brutal. I saw some of their work for GT, and listening to their actors trying to sound like Brian Drummond and Scott McNeil is just...not possible.

Oh, what's worse is one of them trying to sound like Terry Klassen. WHY GOD, WHY?!

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:57 pm

The music was only used in the Blue Waters version. And It's pretty hard to follow Drummond and McNeil, although I think sometimes McNeil can get a little too "hammy". Drummond tends to be more professional about his work. Even though he didn't sound like Horikawa Ryo, you have to respect him for going and researching all about Vegita's life, when he got the role.

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mattias » Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:01 am

Scott McNeil's hilarious. The way he answered questions at Anime North last year were just completely unbelieveable.

I'm going to paraphrase when he was cast for Duo.

Scott, sounding like voice over PA: "Uh, Scott, you missed your line, there."
Scott: "What? That's a girl!"
Scott, PA: "No, Scott, that's your line."
Scott: *Looks at Duo* "Damn...I'm pretty!"

Scott just seems to be a carefree kind of guy. Of course, Brian's cool, too. My sister couldn't stop swooning over Brad Swaile, though (along with the other group of girls who were whistling and screaming). Yeesh.

But anyway, I don't think Saban exists any longer as a company, so if FUNi was interested in spending some dough for decent BGM instead of slamming tasteless metal into their score, then, I'm sure Shuki Levy could be available. I'm sure he'd put more effort into the score if he was interested.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:06 am

A friend of mine said Scott McNeil is a "convention junkie"! :D I think he might be right, he really does love performing at any opportunity. I loved it when he described Silverbolt from "Beast Wars" as "being as dumb as a sack of hammers"! 8)

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mattias » Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:10 am

So many of the girls asked such strange and silly questions, and some burst into tears, which was...kind of corny. But then again I'm a sadist and at times am totally desensitized.

Nervous girl: "Can I take you all home with me?"

My sister and I were both, "liek, WTF". But since the Ocean Group are such good sports, and probably deal with questions like that all the time, they ALL jumped down from the stage, and gave her a group hug. Aww....

When Kirby Morrow said he'd like all the ladies to bear his children, the place nearly collapsed.