DB super canon ?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Muffin Man
Beyond Newbie

Re: DB super canon ?

Post by Muffin Man » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:54 am

John Doe wrote:
Cipher wrote:Dr. Slump is on a different Earth. It even has a different god.
Not to mention that Arale performed Superman-level feats in Dr. Slump. She almost cracked the Earth in half with one punch and was able to move entire planets.
Goku and Blue seemed to pass through some kind of weird space-warp thing when they went to Penguin Village, though. So maybe it just exists in a different universe that temporarily interacted with Universe 7...

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:03 pm

Muffin Man wrote:Goku and Blue seemed to pass through some kind of weird space-warp thing when they went to Penguin Village, though. So maybe it just exists in a different universe that temporarily interacted with Universe 7...
That's anime-only. In the manga, they just went there, and then they just left.

Even in the anime though, it doesn't make sense for Penguin Village to exist in a different dimension, since the Police there knew about the Red Ribbon Army.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:33 pm

You could say that the Dr. Slump characters in DB are not the same in Dr. Slump. Same characters but different world.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:38 pm

Personally, I think that Dr. Slump takes place in the same continuity as Dragon Ball, since the crossover shows that these are the same characters as the ones in their manga. Senbei & others are happy to be back again, so Toriyama intends them to be the same old characters we know. However, I just don't take the events of Dr. Slump seriously since it's a gag manga, just like I don't take the gag scenes of DB seriously.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

ROCKYIII
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ROCKYIII » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:58 am

Was dragonball minus completely written and drawn by toriyama?

ROCKYIII
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ROCKYIII » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:09 am

Actually who cares? We know these are toriyama's ideas since he did dragonball minus and that was crap. So he can do crap and acknowledges these new things like SSG. His input however detailed that may be is not "filled out" in the manga, which is so quickly paced and "cut to the chase." And obviously toiataru is not leaving anything out from toriyama's instruction (knowing toriyama he is making least effort possible). So I'd say the manga/movie combination (which is basically the same) is most likely cannon and the anime definitely has filler (knowing toei). Done deal.
Last edited by ROCKYIII on Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hot Rod
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Hot Rod » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:14 am

Yes. You can say that was drawn by the style of the art, totally Toriyama's art nowadays. Dragon Ball Minus is also included in the Jaco, the Galactic Patrolman volume as the last (bonus) chapter of the said manga.

As for Dragon Ball Super being canon: I do not think so. The anime does not show any evidence that the author is involved, as we see Gregory's appearance (and other filler characters), the anime does not seem to follow the chronology of the films, it feels to take place in different years than those of the films. Ginyu is alive, as well as Tagoma. I would say Dragon Ball Super (anime) is the solemnly version of Toei over the films, while Dragon Ball Super (manga) is Toyotaro's version, both being free to adapt the movies the way they want/prefer/think it is better.

Maybe if we had a word about the differences that the anime showed came from Toriyama, probably would "decrease" the "air of non-canon".

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:31 am

Hot Rod wrote:Yes. You can say that was drawn by the style of the art, totally Toriyama's art nowadays. Dragon Ball Minus is also included in the Jaco, the Galactic Patrolman volume as the last (bonus) chapter of the said manga.

As for Dragon Ball Super being canon: I do not think so. The anime does not show any evidence that the author is involved, as we see Gregory's appearance (and other filler characters), the anime does not seem to follow the chronology of the films, it feels to take place in different years than those of the films. Ginyu is alive, as well as Tagoma. I would say Dragon Ball Super (anime) is the solemnly version of Toei over the films, while Dragon Ball Super (manga) is Toyotaro's version, both being free to adapt the movies the way they want/prefer/think it is better.

Maybe if we had a word about the differences that the anime showed came from Toriyama, probably would "decrease" the "air of non-canon".
Why exactly Toriyama would be opposed to Gregory's involvement? That character is so completly inoffensive to anything Toriyama's created. Why would he even care if Toei wants to include him? Details aside, Toriyama is fully resonsible for the main plot and events in this entire new Gods era.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:20 am

Akira Toriyama said:

“Dragon Ball Super” is a complete continuation of the Majin Buu story arc... I’ve written a strange new story where they finally depart from this universe...."
"I’ll do my best to draw the tons of character designs necessary, so I’m looking forward to this too...."

"Toei Animation’s Kimitoshi Chioka will be the series director with Naoko Sagawa & Atsushi Kido signed on as producers...
...Akira Toriyama is working on the story & artwork for the series."

http://4geekslikeyou.com/akira-toriyama ... -ball-cho/