Super Episode 13 (04 October 2015)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Re: Super Episode 13 (04 October 2015)

Post by Beerus-sama » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:46 am

Zombie wrote:Toei went along with Freeza > Base Saiyans. I don't see them contradicting AT's 6/10/15 numbers.

We shall see.
Maybe they won't even include that scene with Beerus and Whis talking at the end.... :(
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

garfield15
Beyond Newbie

Post by garfield15 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:06 am

I'm not sure how to properly articulate this but I'll just say this little exchange got me so damn psyched

https://madokami.com/go7jqm.webm

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:06 am

garfield15 wrote:I'm not sure how to properly articulate this but I'll just say this little exchange got me so damn psyched

That was practically movie level animation.

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:10 am

Bullza wrote:
garfield15 wrote:I'm not sure how to properly articulate this but I'll just say this little exchange got me so damn psyched

That was practically movie level animation.
and that is the part when Beerus started using all of his power.... sniff :(
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

GeeRod
Beyond Newbie

Post by GeeRod » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:16 am

Amazing episode! Probably my favorite along with episode 11.

Next episode's animation looks more fluid but a little bit ''ugly''. But I don't care, if episode 14 is good as this one, I'm very pleased.
English is not my main language. Sorry if I make a mistake.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:57 am

DragonHermit wrote:
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote: Takeo Ide, the Dragon Ball veteran, also did the key animation.
This is the first time DBS felt like a continuation of DB/DBZ in terms of animation.
A few of the key animators who work on Dragon Ball Super worked on Dragon Ball Z regularly, like Tate Naoki and Shimanuki Masahiro. Dragon Ball Z was simply allowed more drawings and production time, so it makes sense that there was more shots of fighting.
jjgp1112 wrote:The animation in this episode was pretty damn spectacular, especially near the end. Must've busted out their best guys.
Takahashi Yuuya, who did the last bit with Super Saiyan Gokuu, is a freelance animator. Character Designer Yamamuro Tadayoshi was the storyboard artist, chief animation supervisor, and animation supervisor of the B-Part, so his influence is impossible to not feel. The fight scenes, outside of Takahashi's short bit, felt like they were straight out of Dragon Ball Z: Fukkatsu no F.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:03 am

Fluidity of the animation in the fight scenes aside, I agree with Jacob about the ROF-esque feel, especially in regard to the choreography. For me, the attention to detail and realism in anatomical movement was one of the highlights of ROF's production, so it's great to see material of that ilk work its way into Super.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:15 am

Beerus-sama wrote:
Zombie wrote:Toei went along with Freeza > Base Saiyans. I don't see them contradicting AT's 6/10/15 numbers.

We shall see.
Maybe they won't even include that scene with Beerus and Whis talking at the end.... :(
Manga still has it
Goku is still going to train under Whis

It HAS to be said.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:53 am

Super Saiyan Goku looked fantastic in this episode:

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:03 am

The whole episode was excellent, it was on par with the movies. If anyone didn't like this one, you might as well stop watching the series, because you'll never be pleased.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:42 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote:The whole episode was excellent, it was on par with the movies. If anyone didn't like this one, you might as well stop watching the series, because you'll never be pleased.
A pleasing visual spectacle doesn't forgive a bland narrative. There's a figurative holy grail to be found somewhere between the two, and I don't think that's being too demanding.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:44 am

I just watched it subbed and it was a good episode. :thumbup:

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:08 am

This episode has been on point... amazing.

The only thing I would have changed is that Goku should have gone SSGSS

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:22 am

Nice episode. The new ending is ok.

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:43 am

The anime will still have whis>rest.Since goku and vegeta needs to be trained by whis in order to get ssgss.

They did close the gap between god goku and beerus,but beerus still is stronger.

Also i believe what whis meant was that he couldnt stop the combined clash of those two.Since going by toriyama's 6/10/15,whis is 50% stronger than beerus,so a combined clash would be nearly 2xbeerus,so more powerful than whis.

What i found odd was that old kai says that if the energy sphere bursts it will destroy the world,not universe,so thats a bit odd hehe.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:50 am

buutenks wrote:The anime will still have whis>rest.Since goku and vegeta needs to be trained by whis in order to get ssgss.

They did close the gap between god goku and beerus,but beerus still is stronger.

Also i believe what whis meant was that he couldnt stop the combined clash of those two.Since going by toriyama's 6/10/15,whis is 50% stronger than beerus,so a combined clash would be nearly 2xbeerus,so more powerful than whis.

What i found odd was that old kai says that if the energy sphere bursts it will destroy the world,not universe,so thats a bit odd hehe.
That scale was for the movie and the show is pretty blatantly pissing on it. And even if they're keeping that scale in mind Whis should still be able to just pop in, chop them in the back of the neck and take them both out while they're distracted. He doesn't need to get in the middle of their "You're amazing Beerus-sama!" "Supa Saiyajin Goddo!" punching fest to stop them, just take em out by surprise.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Raizel
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Raizel » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:41 am

I really liked the new ending,it gives me the same feels when I watching old animes like detective conan :)

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:45 am

I really enjoyed the use of this iconic pose. Yamamuro must have been feeling nostalgic (or uninspired, if you want to be cynical). Little bit of fan service never hurt anyone.

He seems really into his heavily choreographed action, at the moment. It looks really nice, so I can't complain. After Kei17 pointed out that 90% of the major fight in Resurrection 'F' is just "Punch. Throw into rocks. Repeat", it's kinda nice to see this type of choreography put to good use in a major fight scene.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:51 am

Ajay wrote:I really enjoyed the use of this iconic pose. Yamamuro must have been feeling nostalgic (or uninspired, if you want to be cynical). Little bit of fan service never hurt anyone.

He seems really into his heavily choreographed action, at the moment. It looks really nice, so I can't complain. After Kei17 pointed out that 90% of the major fight in Resurrection 'F' is just "Punch. Throw into rocks. Repeat", it's kinda nice to see this type of choreography put to good use in a major fight scene.
What is their deal with having the characters fight for five seconds, back off, stare at each other and constantly repeat it over and over? I've seriously yet to see an minute long sequence of pure combat without cutaways to reaction shots or Beerus & Goku wanking off to one another about how amazing they are.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:54 am

Great stuff this episode. The beginning dragged on a bit, but after the break it picked up big time. Amazing animation, great fight choreography, overall excellent. If it wasn't clear until now, the fight in Super is miles ahead that of the movie. I nearly crapped my pants for Piccolo when Whis turned serious for a second there and also, judging from the part near the end where they show all the characters on Earth watching the SSJ Goku vs Beerus, the three who were focused on were Whis, Vegeta, Piccolo then the rest. Maybe there is still a chance Piccolo will keep up with the two guys :thumbup: :lol:

However, regarding the part where Beerus and Goku start fighting at 100%, it is clear that Beerus has an advantage and he was probably still underestimating Goku and still he only got hit only a couple of times. He then starts seeing that the God form is starting to run out, so I think from that point on, he again started using less of his power (a little bit of evidence of that is the poke he uses to push Goku away when he is in Super Saiyan form, since that was a move Beerus only used on those who were much weaker than him and never did he try to do so during the actual fight). The fact that he was surprised that Goku managed to hit him tells us nothing of the amount of power he is using, since he knew how much weaker he was as a Super Saiyan since he fought him on Kaio's planet.

Also, regarding Whis saying he can't stop the destructive power. This is the line:
Context: after Whis has to explain about the world ending again, in simpler terms
Satan: “The world will end…? Please! Use your magic to protect everyone, like you did earlier!”
Whis: “Don’t be ridiculous. There’s no way I could stop power capable of destroying the world, is there?”
It seems as if Whis is just trying to keep up an appearance, not that he is actually serious about not being able to stop them. Remember in BoG when Beerus revealed that Whis was his master, he only did so to Goku, so it's probably something Whis does so that the God of Destruction can maintain the title of "Strongest in the Universe". It's not that far-fetched, since it appears whatever his role is, he doesn't really care about fighting or destruction, but only about his attendee's well being (and training, I guess).

Closing thoughts: great episode. However my favorite is still ep11, since this one kinda dragged on at the start. Let's hope they keep this up.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW