Filler and Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Filler and Super?

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:30 pm

So there's more and more filler characters being added to super. Does this make Super non canon to the manga? Or does this make filler canon to the manga now?
It almost seams as if the 2 films and the manga are 1 canon.
Ball-Z-GT is another canon
And Ball-Z-Super is a alternate anime canon.
I also wounder what filler characters we will/should get. What would you guys want filler wise in Super? It really seams like Super doesn't cut out Z filler,I know Gregory was made by Toriyama but IDK about Mr. Satan's 3 goons.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Filler and Super?

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:10 pm

Super is non-canon until there's an official canon revealed, which will be never.

And Super is literally 100% filler until the Uni 6 saga begins. The BoG and F arcs were created, I assume, to maintain Kai's timeslot while Toriyama finishes the new story.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:01 pm

Super is a direct continuation of the anime. So its anime-canon, but you don't have to consider it manga canon.

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:47 pm

There's no defined canon, but DBS fits to the Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z anime. So you could consider it canon to the anime. Akira Toriyama said Goku won't go SSJ 2 or 3 anymore, so that basically makes GT non-canon as of right now.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:53 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Super is non-canon until there's an official canon revealed, which will be never.
The technical term is "undefined". "Not canonical" is a definite state, just like "canonical" but as there is nothing definite, it is undefined.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:17 am

Cetra wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:Super is non-canon until there's an official canon revealed, which will be never.
The technical term is "undefined". "Not canonical" is a definite state, just like "canonical" but as there is nothing definite, it is undefined.
This. You can't claim something is "not-canon" if there is no official canon revealed. Although it will always have more canon credit than GT, that's for sure.

And what "more and more filler characters" are these? Only Satan's party (who's been there from episode 1) and Gregory, designed by Toriyama. And they were all in Kai, so Super isn't really adding anything.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:20 am

If anything BoG and RoF are closer to manga canon than Super's BoG and RoF arcs are.
I just take Super as a continuation of DB Kai, rather than a continuation of the manga.

Original DB anime canon:
DB-->DBZ-->DBGT

DB Manga canon:
DB + Bog & RoF[...]

Modern DB anime canon:
DB-->DBK-->DBS.

Pretorious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pretorious » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:48 am

dbgtFO wrote:If anything BoG and RoF are closer to manga canon than Super's BoG and RoF arcs are.
I just take Super as a continuation of DB Kai, rather than a continuation of the manga.

Original DB anime canon:
DB-->DBZ-->DBGT

DB Manga canon:
DB + Bog & RoF[...]

Modern DB anime canon:
DB-->DBK-->DBS.
I like this a lot. It makes perfect sense to me. :clap:

I would probably complicate it a bit by splitting the DBZ cannon into two branches: one that includes the original 13 movies alongside TV series plots introduced by TOEI (this is where the TV series' Garlic Jr. saga would live) and one that does not.

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:36 am

Dbs anime ia canon now because manga is an adoption of the anime. Why is there a topic of this?

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:12 pm

I consider "chef" Vegeta to be filler. I will not accept his character to be portrayed for silly amusement to that scale. His pride has been completely swept into the wind.

Krillin and his height issues bug me too. His height is filler. :lol:

Last edited by HybridSaiyan on Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:23 pm

^ Oh god... Vegeta... why... :sick:
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:29 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:^ Oh god... Vegeta... why... :sick:
It's amazing how much he has changed since Buu's defeat huh? :sick:

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:17 am

HybridSaiyan wrote:Krillin and his height issues bug me too. His height is filler. :lol:

All this shows is that you aren't taking perspective into account. Not that you aren't correct, he should be taller than he is in the Super image. But, Kuririn is in front of 18 and closer to the "camera". Of course. he's going to appear taller. (But even that is wrong.)

This is still slightly off since Kuririn is a little off proportion and 18 is behind him, but it's a much better comparison (and closer to his Super incarnation). The other one was just really, really terrible though...

Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:07 am

Isn't Krillin supposed to be like 5'0 or 5'1? They've made him a dwarf. lol.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:25 am

Is Krillin not supposed to have dwarfism? I always read him as having some sort of growth problem/or genetically super short like pygmies. I find 5'0" (even if in some source guide) hard to believe, when sometimes he looks only slightly taller than 5 year old Gohan's height, or a head shorter than Bulma who is 5'4"/5'5".

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:51 am

irreality wrote:I find 5'0" (even if in some source guide) hard to believe, when sometimes he looks only slightly taller than 5 year old Gohan's height, or a head shorter than Bulma who is 5'4"/5'5".
Yeah, there's no way Kuririn's height was ever that close to Bulma. He was often barely close to her waist, and really not much taller than little Gohan.
If anything, it's that shot from We Gotta Power that looks wrong. Look how smaller Bulma seems compared to this cover:

^and this was when Vegeta looked shorter.

His height (like many others) was never really consistent, but it's one of those things people only have a problem with now.
Toriyama always did this whenever he changed his style, ever since Arale shrunk during Dr. Slump..
Last edited by Araki on Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

dae428
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dae428 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:58 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:Isn't Krillin supposed to be like 5'0 or 5'1? They've made him a dwarf. lol.
Dude height was never particularly consistent in Dragon Ball anyways.

@ LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta: If you're talking about Satan's disciples from the Cell Games, it's probably just kind of a nod to the audience kind of thing. It's like how Freeza's men have been getting indirect cameo's in their food forms from episode 2 and 16. Don't look too much into it.

Edit: Looks like Araki's beat me to it.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:41 am

Araki wrote:
irreality wrote:I find 5'0" (even if in some source guide) hard to believe, when sometimes he looks only slightly taller than 5 year old Gohan's height, or a head shorter than Bulma who is 5'4"/5'5".
Yeah, there's no way Kuririn's height was ever that close to Bulma. He was often barely close to her waist, and really not much taller than little Gohan.
If anything, it's that shot from We Gotta Power that looks wrong. Look how smaller Bulma seems compared to this cover:

^and this was when Vegeta looked shorter.

His height (like many others) was never really consistent, but it's one of those things people only have a problem with now.
Toriyama always did this whenever he changed his style, ever since Arale shrunk during Dr. Slump..
Looking at those pics, you're right. His height was inconsistent.

I guess the problem now is definitely the art style and character design (hair), not so much how tall he is. He genuinely looks like a little boy.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:04 am

Yeah. Krillin In Z just looks generally older than what he does in Super.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:24 pm

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:So there's more and more filler characters being added to super. Does this make Super non canon to the manga? Or does this make filler canon to the manga now?
The BoG/FnF arcs in Super seem to be filler themselves in the first place, since it doesn't look like Toriyama is involved with them, and Toei is extending them more than necessarily. It looks like they want to buy time for Toriyama to write the new stories for Super.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.