How did you think Super's version of RoF will handle Gohan?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

How did you think Super's version of RoF will handle Gohan?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:49 pm

The treatment Super's version of Battle of Gods gave Gohan was disgusting compared to how the original movie handled him but one thing is the Resurrection F movie already showed him as kinda derp-ish... which makes me all the more concerned for how Super's version will handle him. Would they have him slip on Baby Pan's saliva while he tries carrying out out those packages? Would he not turn SSJ and get one-shotted by Shisami as well? Or would they do something that will completely subvert all expectations?

What do you guys think?
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

precita
Banned

Re: How did you think Super's version of RoF will handle Goh

Post by precita » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:30 pm

I expect him to be the same as the movie. Get punched by Freeza, fight the soldiers. That's about it.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:52 pm

Toei is not going to change much of anything in regards to characters. They are not taking any risks, so Gohan will very likely be treated exactly the same.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:53 pm

precita wrote:I expect him to be the same as the movie. Get punched by Freeza, fight the soldiers. That's about it.
This. I see him being on par with if not worse than how he was in ROF. The Super arcs don't change the movie stories a bunch. They change some details, but more or less rehash the movies. I don't expect much but the BOG super arc managed to wow me in the wrong way, so let's see if Super's ROF can one up that.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:44 pm

He'll actually be a SSJ when he gets owned making it more satisfying for Frieza fans and making this form implode due to the sheer mass of complaints and hate.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:30 pm

If they extend the fights, like they probably will. He may have a chance of actually fighting Freeza, instead of going down in one hit.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:44 pm

I think he will go SSJ, but Gohan's obviously another background character, heck even Goten and Trunks get more bad-ass moment's then he does now.
I've come to except the fact, that he's chosen the normal life over his Fighting one. The only way I see him ever becoming the Gohan he once was, is if Goku and Vegeta are killed/gone and he has to step up to the plate, or at least after Pan is born. I hope Goten end's up filling the void that Gohan left as he get's older.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:57 pm

I think Gohan may power up into his Ultimate form just to make Freeza look even stronger and more of threat in the Super's retelling of Resurrection F when he defeats Gohan with one blow. But given this is 2015 and this is the Toei writing staff handling the scenario... Gohan will not only forget his gi again, but he will forget how to transform into a SSJ, forget how to fly and forget how to breath and will die of suffocation as a result, leading to baby Pan taking his place, one shotting Freeza and becoming the next Super Saiyan Blue training under Whis.

King Jacku
Beyond Newbie

Post by King Jacku » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:56 am

I think they will at least SHOW some scenes that they've hinted at during ROF's marketing period,but couldn't make it into the final film. Things like him going through his closet looking for his Gi ( Would be cool to see cameos from all his previous outfits ), him declaring he officially quit being Great Saiyaman, hopefully have A LOT more interaction with Piccolo, and if we're really lucky; him training with Piccolo/Goten during the few months before Freeza arrives.

Oh yeah and I guess we'll see him adapt to becoming a father as well.

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avery » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:23 am

I'll be really grateful if they don't turn him into a cheerleader.
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.

raulvalente
Beyond Newbie

Post by raulvalente » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:47 pm

I see TOEI letting his fight with Freeza last a little bit longer, but that's about it. He's gonna be a family man from now on, accept it.

Blackstripe
Regular

Post by Blackstripe » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:43 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I think Gohan may power up into his Ultimate form just to make Freeza look even stronger and more of threat in the Super's retelling of Resurrection F when he defeats Gohan with one blow. But given this is 2015 and this is the Toei writing staff handling the scenario... Gohan will not only forget his gi again, but he will forget how to transform into a SSJ, forget how to fly and forget how to breath and will die of suffocation as a result, leading to baby Pan taking his place, one shotting Freeza and becoming the next Super Saiyan Blue training under Whis.
Since they love One Piece so much, they'll just turn Gohan into Geddatsu.

Gohan: "Mmmphmmph!"
Piccolo: "Gohan! Stop biting your lower lip!"
Gohan: "OH, HOW CARELESS!"
*Freeza punches in chest*

kidhero1000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kidhero1000 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:45 am

Lord Beerus wrote:I think Gohan may power up into his Ultimate form just to make Freeza look even stronger and more of threat in the Super's retelling of Resurrection F when he defeats Gohan with one blow. But given this is 2015 and this is the Toei writing staff handling the scenario... Gohan will not only forget his gi again, but he will forget how to transform into a SSJ, forget how to fly and forget how to breath and will die of suffocation as a result, leading to baby Pan taking his place, one shotting Freeza and becoming the next Super Saiyan Blue training under Whis.
He devolved into saying only one word. Time to hit the ol' cosmic trail.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:16 am

As per usual they'll make him look like a complete joke at every possible opportunity with some emasculation thrown in there for good measure, you know, cause we can't have him be a good husband and protector at least.

I will say though that I am intrigued at the thought of how they'll handle the Freeza fight. Being one hit Koed by Frieza's weakest form is already as low as you can go so I'm stumped as to how Toei will top themselves there. After it's all said and done we'll of course see the DBSuper defenders and apologists to swoop in to assure everyone that "it's not that bad" and how we need to accept that "Gohan isn't relevant anymore and this is ok" and the cycle will repeat itself ad nauseam.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Toei decided to resurrect Cell (painted gold of course 8)) just so they can have him beat Gohan and forever tarnish his greatest moment in the series. Maybe I shouldn't be giving Toei any ideas... Lord knows they don't have any of their own.

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:52 pm

Personally, what I expect:

-They'll make it clear that he has gotten weaker, just like in the movie, however, it'll be more obvious that him going SSJ is supposed to be a power up over where he was before.

-Shisami might receive a better build up than in RoF, which would make Gohan taking him out look more impressive. However, if that happens, Gohan probably won't one shot him this time, which might make him look worse.

-Gohan still will be one shotted by Freeza's 1st form, and they might even make him get one shotted in SSJ this time.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:09 pm

One way to fix Shisami is to just not have him in Freeza's regeneration scene just like in Toriyama's script.

That way he can be one of the powerful mercenaries Freeza hires.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:36 pm

I was looking for another thread and I found this one.
After seeing ROF episodes about this matter, I want to cry. :lol:

The only way Toei could bury Gohan even more in this arc, was to kill him before Goku arrival. They defintely went too far.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:28 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:I was looking for another thread and I found this one.

The only way Toei could bury Gohan even more in this arc, was to kill him before Goku arrival. They defintely went too far.
"I can't even imagine reaching their level of power anymore."

I mean... damn. Just... damn. I'm not that much of a fan of Gohan so it doesn't bug me, but if I was a heavily invested into the character, that line would have enraged me.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:32 pm

I honestly thought that since Piccolo was getting possible importance in the next arc, he probably shoulda died for him. Then Piccolo gains motivation to pick up on his training. At least then someone gets pushed. I'd appreciate the Gohan push if it actually existed. As far as I can see, it's not happening. Especially with lines like below.
Lord Beerus wrote:"I can't even imagine reaching their level of power anymore."

I mean... damn. Just... damn. I'm not that much of a fan of Gohan so it doesn't bug me, but if I was a heavily invested into the character, that line would have enraged me.
I'm just gonna repost this quote here
Gohan: I can't even imagine reaching their level of power anymore.
TFS Piccolo: USE THE GOD RITUAL!
Gohan: There just is no way I could ever get that strong.
TFS Piccolo: USE THE RITUAL OR TRAIN WITH WHIS!
Gohan: It just isn't possible.
TFS Piccolo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIB8AY0 ... u.be&t=32s
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:39 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:

"I can't even imagine reaching their level of power anymore."

Well Gohan is my favourite character, but I take it easy. But even I have my limits.

I mean, Gohan isn't catching a break since Super started.
Even when Videl said she's pregnant in BOG arc and he wanted to hug her, he got pushed down by Satan... That was supposed to be a beautiful moment like in the movie, not a "funny" one.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.