DB Super- Is this Dragon Ball's last "Hoo-rah!"?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeztin
I Live Here

DB Super- Is this Dragon Ball's last "Hoo-rah!"?

Post by Xeztin » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:34 am

Basically as the title says, are we witnessing Dragon Ball's last ride? as a franchise. I don't really mean Akira Toriyama's last ride, but Dragon Ball itself, is this Toriyama's way of giving a "Nod" to his long time supporting fans? After DBZ ended countless, and I mean literally Countless, fakes and hoaxes stormed for year's and years even after DBZ was long over. I don't mean to rehash information that many of us already are aware of, but is Dragon Ball just simply to freaking BIG to end? I realize that anything can have a fan-base year's after it is over similar to the Back to the Future movie franchise. Though, I think Manga fan's especially Dragon Ball are different. Even after Akira left the Dragon Ball world, fan's just kept pushing and pushing, signing petition's, and all hoping we'd get new DB material. It took 18 YEARS! but it finally happened! I remember when Super was announced, I seen Various youtube video's, and article's claiming "We done it" with excitement. After Super is over, even if Toriyama is finished, will Dragon Ball ever really end? I know for a lot of fan's when Toriyama's done, they are done as well. I think with all the noise and record's that the Dragon Ball franchise has been making since it's return with BOG, one would have to literally take out every fan in the world to kill Dragon Ball now, and what's even better is that it's being introduced to a new generation! I think Super has been in the pipeline a very long time, with Kai introducing it to a new generation, and the movie's testing the waters. Me personally, I see Super being Toriyama's and Goku's last ride as far as a new full blown series goes, but not the Dragon Ball world itself. Eventually, even if it's a few year's later after Super's end, I think it will sort of be like the Yugioh franchise, making a new series with new characters. I think there are many possibilities in in the DB world, whether it be 1000 year's after Goku's time on Earth, or somewhere else on a different planet. I Know a lot of people don't want another GT, but what if Toriyama truly found someone to carry the weight of DB? similar to how 343 took over Bungie's Halo franchise. You wouldn't even have to consider it cannon to Toriyama's world, but rather the successor have his own cannon. I know a lot of people will point to Naruto ending, and Kishimoto saying he's done for good, but I think in a recent interview he said "You never know" or something along the lines of that, I can't recall exactly the word's he said. Though, you can almost guarantee, that if it he does come back, or let's someone else take over, It'll make a big splash like DB's return has, especially if it's gone for 18 year's :D
what are your thought's on this?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: DB Super- Is this Dragon Ball's last "Hoo-rah!"?

Post by Chuquita » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:43 am

Great Scott, this is heavy. :3

I think this is the last ride for the current cast and crew; I'm certain there will at some point in the distant future be more animated DB, be it in the form of a reboot, or a Heroes series, or something that uses the same world, but a different cast. I am indifferent to all of those options, however. Super's actually as close to what I want as the current incarnation of Toei can get; they're using the same cast and crew while telling new stories even though we have to wade through rehashes of BOG and F to stall for time until we hit the Uni 6 arc, and even before we hit it we've had 3 completely-fresh-material episodes with 4 more up ahead until the reF starts.

Some have noted online that next year's Maho Tsukai Precure is actually a nod to the 50th anniversary of Toei's Maho Tsukai Sally series; that they don't have the staff to do a proper 50th anniversary series for Sally so they're celebrating it through Precure. (Nozawa actually voiced triplets on Sally and took part in singing one of the ED's).
There's a new Lupin series airing currently. That Osomatsu series that's running this cour is based off a series from the 60's. There are still Doraemon movies.
This is definitely not the last hoorah, but if it's the last for Gokû and Vegeta it'll be the last I'll be joining in on. ^^;
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:55 am

Chuquita wrote:Great Scott, this is heavy. :3

I think this is the last ride for the current cast and crew; I'm certain there will at some point in the distant future be more animated DB, be it in the form of a reboot, or a Heroes series, or something that uses the same world, but a different cast. I am indifferent to all of those options, however. Super's actually as close to what I want as the current incarnation of Toei can get; they're using the same cast and crew while telling new stories even though we have to wade through rehashes of BOG and F to stall for time until we hit the Uni 6 arc, and even before we hit it we've had 3 completely-fresh-material episodes with 4 more up ahead until the reF starts.

Some have noted online that next year's Maho Tsukai Precure is actually a nod to the 50th anniversary of Toei's Maho Tsukai Sally series; that they don't have the staff to do a proper 50th anniversary series for Sally so they're celebrating it through Precure. (Nozawa actually voiced triplets on Sally and took part in singing one of the ED's).
There's a new Lupin series airing currently. That Osomatsu series that's running this cour is based off a series from the 60's. There are still Doraemon movies.
This is definitely not the last hoorah, but if it's the last for Gokû and Vegeta it'll be the last I'll be joining in on. ^^;
Agreed, if Super end's at the EOZ, or a little after, If they build up Uub, Goten, and Trunks right, I think they could be an adventure or two there, which i'd find interesting. though it'd be very wierd if Goku and Vegeta turned into support character's and retired from fighting, or was giving support after they somehow die. I think you'd have to kill those two to retire them though, Goku's going to fight till he dies for good, and Vegetas going to keep trying to surpass him once and for all. If Goku dies, I could see Vegeta retiring though.
Edit- Forgot to add Pan.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:01 am

There's always what DBO did and have Gokû and Vegeta literally fight each other to the death so they'd die in battle instead of old age; I've always thought that was kind of a tragimance ending to them. Now that they've both got ssjg power though, I could see that power extending their primes and instead they just leave off on an adventure across the universes and that's the last we hear of them.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:07 am

Chuquita wrote:There's always what DBO did and have Gokû and Vegeta literally fight each other to the death so they'd die in battle instead of old age; I've always thought that was kind of a tragimance ending to them. Now that they've both got ssjg power though, I could see that power extending their primes and instead they just leave off on an adventure across the universes and that's the last we hear of them.
I like that idea a lot, but Dragon Ball is one of those franchises where you probably don't want to end with death's of the main characters, but then again it's also that franchise, that if they're dead, they are not really dead, like we could see Goku and Vegeta with Halo's again on king Kai's planet. If it's going to be the last ever, I hope it goes beyond EOZ, If it end's at or before I'm going to be in the same spot I was before Super began which is asking what happened to the younger generation, especially Uub.

soleil444
Beyond Newbie

Post by soleil444 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:17 am

I don' think because we think the same thing when DBZ ended, when DBGT ended, but in all time we see the door still open to another thing to DB universe, so if they want to finish, they can't. Fans, mangas & films will be here! :thumbup: (imagine a big film in the 100 birthday of DB! :mrgreen: )
Please understand: it's my first time on an english board about DB & i have a very very bad english!! thanks

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:34 am

I think Super is Toriyama wanting to give Dragonball a proper sendoff after 18 years and after GT.

Goku's VA is 78 years old, I doubt she can continue voice acting for more than a few years. After she passes away I doubt they're going to bother continuing the series, Japanese fans won't want to hear a new Goku.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:40 am

precita wrote:After she passes away I doubt they're going to bother continuing the series, Japanese fans won't want to hear a new Goku.
I think they will, eventually, but the franchise will need a break. A change of voice is not something that will be accepted overnight.
New games and other media can soften the impact until a new animation, it's not like they'll stop everything DB-related.

Anyway, to this day i'm still in shock that Toriyama became so attached to his franchise again since BoG, and increasingly so. It's almost unbelievable coming from someone so recluse and tired of deadlines years ago. I just hope he keeps that up for as long as he has the energy. While he and Nozawa are up to it, Dragon Ball will be around and strong.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:27 am

Well he had what, an over 20+ year break since 1995 or whenever he finish the Buu saga manga? That was a hell of a long time ago.

Obviously taking that long a break, then revisiting the material and probably getting nostalgic and remembering what he liked about it made him want to continue the universe. I don't expect Super to be long lasting because he won't want to be forced to keep coming up with new ideas, but we'll see.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:32 am

I doubt it'll be the last hoo-rah, by any means. It could well be the last new substantial thing we get for a while, but if DB has proven anything, it's that it's an evergreen franchise. It'll always be able to make a comeback and keep being popular when it does so.

Unless Toriyama putters out again though, and that's assuming Toei didn't just then move on to doing something else with the property themselves, I figure the train of new stuff will keep on chugging along for a bit though. Just a guess, but after their Kai experiment, it seems like they've finally realized the best way to actually get fans excited and make money is to make truly new material. I doubt they'd abandon that realization without a money related cause.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:38 am

Its the last run for Toriyama and old school cast.
But Dragon Ball series will never die. Another anime will be born, be a DB Heroes anime or something else.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:46 pm

No way is Super Dragon Ball's last hoorah. As long as the franchise still pumps out money, or there is demand from the international market, more Dragon Ball animes and stories will be made.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:12 pm

Dragon Ball is one of those franchise that has reached inmortality, like Star Wars, there is no way it DBSuper being the last we will see of DB.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:54 pm

Even if Dragonball is an evergreen franchise, that doesn't mean we'll keep getting new series. The fact that there was an 18 year gap between GT and Super says a lot.

There would have been a new Dragonball series in the early to mid 2000's but we got nothing. That proves TOEI was content just with merchandize, videogames and reruns to carry it for that time.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:10 pm

Dragon Ball as a franchise isn't going anywhere. Dragon Ball Super might be the last lap for the original voice cast, but the franchise is damned to many more years in the public eye as evidenced by its general lack of disappearing lately.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

KonohaKillas

Post by KonohaKillas » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:24 pm

Dragon Ball will be akin to DC heroes created 76 years ago, no matter whose voicing it or drawing it, you haven't seen the last of them. I'd like to believe this is true.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:06 pm

I don't think so, just because of the money the franchise keeps making even today after all those years after GT and with all the video games in the middle until the BOG movie and the beginning of Super. The fans still support the series wherever it goes.

Is it the last hoorah for the current voice cast? I don't think that's true either. If they're bringing in new voices is because they're doing something a la 100 Years later movie with New characters. Still, for the work and input needed from the voice cast, I think they still have plenty in the tank, even if the shows was meant to go beyond Super.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

caine56

Post by caine56 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:33 am

Here is what i think. As long as people keep buying dragonball and watching dragonball on tv and playing dragonball video games, they will never stop making dragonball. think about it. the only reason the creators are in for it is for the money. I'm sure the only reason toriyama agreed to gt is because toei cut him a fat check to do whatever they wanted with the show. He didnt care about the fans there, he cared about the money. I'm sure he enjoys making dragonball. But enjoying doesnt pay the bills.
Just my thoughts i could be wrong.
Vote for Bruce Faulconer to return for dragonball super

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:16 am

With the direction this franchise has gone since it resuscitated, I think I'd rather not have any new material besides video games and other merchandise.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:30 am

Well nobodies forcing you to watch it. I used to love The Simpsons then it got crap...and so I just don't watch it now, that's it.