The Grand Kanzenshuu DB: Super User Ratings Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Re: The Grand Kanzenshuu DB: Super User Ratings Thread

Post by Scott » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:07 pm

Episode 1 - 6/10
Episode 2 - 5/10
Episode 3 - 5/10
Episode 4 - 2/10
Episode 5 - 1/10
Episode 6 - 3/10
Episode 7 - 3/10
Episode 8 - 2/10
Episode 9 - 3/10
Episode 10 - 3/10
Episode 11 - 3/10
Episode 12 - 5/10
Episode 13 - 5/10
Episode 14 - 4/10
Episode 15 - 2/10
Episode 16 - Not watched yet.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:28 pm

At 16 episodes in I find its the best first 16 pisodes of any DB show so far.

I'd put it as Super >= Kai > Z >> DB >> GT

Ssgvegito30
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssgvegito30 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:35 pm

Scott wrote:Episode 1 - 6/10
Episode 2 - 5/10
Episode 3 - 5/10
Episode 4 - 2/10
Episode 5 - 1/10
Episode 6 - 3/10
Episode 7 - 3/10
Episode 8 - 2/10
Episode 9 - 3/10
Episode 10 - 3/10
Episode 11 - 3/10
Episode 12 - 5/10
Episode 13 - 5/10
Episode 14 - 4/10
Episode 15 - 2/10
If you don't mind sharing your reasons for giving such a low ratings for almost every episode except episode 1 and to an extent 2,3,12 and 13....
"You may have invaded my mind and my body, but there's one thing a Saiyan always keeps! His pride!"

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scott » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:42 am

Ssgvegito30 wrote: If you don't mind sharing your reasons for giving such a low ratings for almost every episode except episode 1 and to an extent 2,3,12 and 13....
Where do i begin ?

I guess i will start with the worst thing of all, the animation. The animation in every single episode, apart from episode 1 and maybe episode 2, are horrendous to me. It's not just the mistakes i dislike, it's the new art style. Every character looks way too different. The hair is one of the main problems, especially with the Saiyans. Vegeta and Goku's hair length has completey shrunk. They are 2 of the most loved hairstyles in Anime, is it too much to ask to get them right ? Then there is size of the characters, look at them, they look way too skinny. Look at Mr.Satan, he looks ridiculous. Where the hell has Tien's muscles gone ? Videl's design is awful, she look's nothing like Videl. She has gone from looking like a tomboy to looking like.....well, just another random girl. Gohan is a stereotypical nerd. Here's an idea, how about they just make Gohan a brainy guy without the awful look ? It worked in Dragon Ball Z, there is no reason why it couldn't work in Dragon Ball Super too. Krillin looks like a child rather than a small adult and 18's face isn't quite right.

I don't think the characters fit in with the backgrounds either. In the past, it looked like the characters really would be standing on something or would look like they would be flying in the air, but with DBS it look's like backgrounds have been drawn and the characters have just been placed on the screen. It just doesn't blend in well.

Now to the mistakes. Everyone has heard enough about episode 5 so i'll keep it short. Episode 5 wasn't just bad, it was one of the worst pieces of animation i have ever seen in Anime. Nearly every bit of the fight scenes was unacceptable. The first real fight of the series completely ruined by god awful animation. Now to the rest of the episodes, sometimes i shake my head in disbelief at the amount of mistakes on show. The characters look deformed at times, their bodies have weird angles to them and look like they have been drawn by an amateur. A good example of this is when the ritual begins to turn Goku into a Super Saiyan God, just look at the state of the characters, horrible. Some episodes you would get a glimpse of the background and the characters just looked a mess. Yes, Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z had bad animation at times too, but DBS seem's to be doing it every few frames, i can't accept that to be honest. There is also the little details that bug me like Piccolo's ears sticking out instead of up at times, Bulma's Mum's eyes being open instead of closed, the shapes of the characters heads being too rounded. Basically, the charm of the Dragon Ball animation is missing in Dragon Ball Super.

Now to the story. Just like with GT, i think some of the ideas are good, but badly done. I think the story is too drawn out and boring to be honest. Goku's fight with Beerus was ok in parts but also very boring and repetitive. How many times was Goku knocked out in this fight ? it was a fair few from what i seen. The fight scenes are very meh too, they just don't have the epicness of fights in the past. I'm also not a super fan of Beerus either. I don't like the way he has been shoe horned into the series with his connections with Frieza and the Saiyan's and minor things like extinguishing the Dinosaurs. It kinda makes you wonder why Frieza bothered trying to rule the Universe when he knew of someone like Beerus. Surely he would have realised that it was only a matter of time before Beerus destroyed him. I also don't get the point of a God of Destruction, why does one even exist? what is the point ? Ok, he is maintaning some sort of balance in the Universe, but why is that even needed and why is Beerus allowed to destroy whatever he want's, when he feel's like it ? Shouldn't there be something that can stop him ? Whis is stronger but he let's Beerus do whatever he wants to do. If Beerus wanted to, he could annilate everything and nothing would stop him. I also think the slice of life episodes were really poorly done, they were just so boring. If you want good slice of life episodes, then look at the Saiyaman saga in DBZ, that is how you do slice of life in Dragon Ball.

The constant forced gags aren't helping the series either, they really aren't funny, it's just getting in the way of some good scenes. In Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, the gags seemed to come naturally, in DBS they are just off putting. It's just slowing the flow of the story down and it's too shouty. When this is dubbed i can see this being even more annoying, i hate too many shouty gags in anime, it was one of my only issue with Dragon Ball. Bulma's shouting in the comedy parts of the show really got annoying at times. With DBS you will be watching an episode, waiting for something to happen, a bunch of gags get in the way and then the episode would end without much progression. At the end of every episode i am saying the same thing "is that it?". The Pilaf gang are especially off putting, i just don't get why they have been bought back. We have enough characters as it is, adding 3 more just to add more forced comedy is over kill. I'm also not a fan of the Vegeta comedy either, it seem's like crappy fan service to me and i hate fan service. I was also hoping Mr.Satan would be dialed back a bit in Super, i never really saw the appeal of him in Dragon Ball Z either to be honest. The odd gag here and there is fine, Dragon Ball is supposed to have comedy, but this is just too much. It's not even like Dragon Ball comedy either which makes things worse.

I hate the music and sound effects too, it's just another part missing from the what makes Dragon Ball what it once was.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:57 am

Bullza wrote:At 16 episodes in I find its the best first 16 pisodes of any DB show so far.

I'd put it as Super >= Kai > Z >> DB >> GT
Really? I think the first 16 episodes of Dragonball were fantastic, and even most of the Saiyan saga filler was entertaining.

I'd wager its better than GT's early eps though.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:13 am

Scott wrote:
Ssgvegito30 wrote: If you don't mind sharing your reasons for giving such a low ratings for almost every episode except episode 1 and to an extent 2,3,12 and 13....
Where do i begin ?
Overall I agree with you,the fights and animation have been average at best,the art style is awful especially Vedil's design,the story although enjoyable could've been better,the characterization for characters such as Vegeta&Whis feels very exaggerated&the worst of all is the constant jokes every few second that ends up getting in the way of tense moments.

I don't think it's a bad series,just a disappointing one but hopefully it'll improve moving foreword.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Ssgvegito30
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssgvegito30 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:47 am

sintzu wrote:
Scott wrote:
Where do i begin ?
Overall I agree with you,the fights and animation have been average at best,the art style is awful especially Vedil's design,the story although enjoyable could've been better,the characterization for characters such as Vegeta&Whis feels very exaggerated&the worst of all is the constant jokes every few second that ends up getting in the way of tense moments.

I don't think it's a bad series,just a disappointing one but hopefully it'll improve moving foreword.
Well everybody have their own opinion although I would agree with things you said about animation being bad but apart from episode 5 I didn't find that bad art style an animation in the later episodes, about videl character design I don't thing there's anything wrong with it they are portraying a real life person how a person's looks or style changes over the years ppl change once they are married or about to be a parent.....
"You may have invaded my mind and my body, but there's one thing a Saiyan always keeps! His pride!"

raulvalente
Beyond Newbie

Post by raulvalente » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:22 am

I was surprised when I realized that the episodes I rated with the higher score were the "filler ones":

Episode 1, 2 and 16.

Those + Episode 14 got an 8/10 in my book. The rest I rated from 5 to 7. Which is good, for a saga that's retelling a movie with slight differences and kinda worse animation.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:34 am

raulvalente wrote:I was surprised when I realized that the episodes I rated with the higher score were the "filler ones":

Episode 1, 2 and 16.

Those + Episode 14 got an 8/10 in my book. The rest I rated from 5 to 7. Which is good, for a saga that's retelling a movie with slight differences and kinda worse animation.
Its probaby because those `filler` episodes are new materials while others was already seen in a movie.I also notice that all the `filler` episodes have descent animation.

Kakarotto92
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakarotto92 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:15 am

Episodes 2, 7, 11 and 14 are easily the best to me so far.

All the others range from "meh" to decent/entertaining/good. To be honest there are have only been 2 episodes which I truly loathed: 4 and 5 (although that might change since I'm hoping Toei fixes Episode 5's animation problems for the home release)

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:41 am

Ahh... is there any way to view how you voted after the fact? I submitted mine but can't remember them exactly. :lol:
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:01 am

Scott wrote:Episode 1 - 6/10
Episode 2 - 5/10
Episode 3 - 5/10
Episode 4 - 2/10
Episode 5 - 1/10
Episode 6 - 3/10
Episode 7 - 3/10
Episode 8 - 2/10
Episode 9 - 3/10
Episode 10 - 3/10
Episode 11 - 3/10
Episode 12 - 5/10
Episode 13 - 5/10
Episode 14 - 4/10
Episode 15 - 2/10
What was so bad about episode 11? It was a fantastic episode. To each their own, I guess.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:39 am

I do not even remember which episode was about what so I cannot say for sure but I say a general 8-9 and that is very generous, mainly coming from me being a Dragon Ball fan.

1st episode - not really interested
2nd - pretty cool (if that was the one with Vegeta, if it was not then the 3rd)
the entire Beerus earth thing was almo9st completely boring
the battle started out boring
then became awesome
and now it is still cool enough

Dragon Ball/GT > Dragon Ball Z > Dragon Ball Super
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:59 pm

Before I submit my scores:
1. 7/10
2. 7.10
3. 9/10
4. 6/10
5. 5/10
6. 9/10
7. 3/10
8. 7/10
9. 3/10
10. 5/10
11. 5/10
12. 3/10
13. 7/10
14. 7/10
15. 7/10
16. 7/10

Basically, 7/10 is what I call an ok normal episode :lol:
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

Kakarotto92
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakarotto92 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:12 pm

Episode 7 deserves more love, not only do we get to see Tenshinhan fighting in a TV series for the first time in 20 years, it also features one of the best scenes ever since this show has begun.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:54 pm

Saiga wrote:Ahh... is there any way to view how you voted after the fact? I submitted mine but can't remember them exactly. :lol:
Nope! You might want to post your votes like others do just to keep track.

Oh, Episode #17 is rateable now (using new site that allows better formatting)!

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:21 pm

I gave it a 6.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:19 pm

LuckyCat wrote:
Oh, Episode #17 is rateable now (using new site that allows better formatting)!
I like rating episodes :D
I gave it a 10, Very good episode, I loved it :mrgreen:
I hope next episode doesn't let me down, since it looks awesome :3
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:04 pm

Added episode 18!

While the newer episodes are incomplete in data, so far episode 16 weighs in highest with a score of 7.84. Predictably, the lowest scoring episode is episode 5 with a score of 3.72. Episode 2 stands out as being the second highest rated episode and among the oldest. Likewise, episode 4 stands out as being the second lowest, though maybe Pilaf's name alone ruined its chances.

Can episode 16 be beat? Guess we'll find out!

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:13 pm

I gave it a 7.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.